Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby damian » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:17 pm

damian wrote:
grasshopper22 wrote:I’m having a crack at tomorrows tips amongst the covid chaos in a number of clubs.

Bays over Pongy 5 goals
Willunga over Yank 20 + goals
Mclaren over Goolwa 30 + goals
Compass over Creeks 2 goals
Victor over Strath by less than a kick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My crack;

Pongy over Bays by two goals.
Willunga over Yank by 25+ goals.
McLaren over GPE by 25+ goals.
Compass over Creeks by 5 goals.
Strath over Victor by 5 goals (Clamp best on).

Pongy over Bays by 35 points - no Ben Davis or Tyson Neale for Bays. Looked like Pongy may have had some out as well so pretty evenly matched these two sides.
Willunga by 112 points.
McLaren by 207 points.
Compass by 70 points.
Strath by 18 points and Clamp was best on ground.

As mentioned by someone else, Creeks had a few out that likely contributed to their loss, but I think Compass are the better side this season. Not a bad effort by Yank looking at that score line. As for GPE, with mass outs due to Covid it was always going to a battle against the bench mark side. Down a player 10 minutes into the game and then another before half time didn’t help but the game was well and truly over by quarter time.

Merrett, Grimley & Ellison up forward were too tall, strong & smart for their opponents and the sheer weight of inside 50’s made it even harder for the defenders. Redigolo is going to be very handy for the Eagles flag chances, not only for his ball winning ability and class, but the freedom he gives to Muff at times allowing him to get busy.

The Pies battled out the last quarter with 16 on the field at times.

Unfortunately I won’t get to see Willunga in action next week but McLaren are well and truly flag favourites right now.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby inthestands » Wed May 04, 2022 2:22 pm

Agree that the tipping this year will be diificult. McLaren certainly appear to be the benchmark.

My view on teams at the moment:
Compass: I think Nick Manhood is doing a good job at compass taking into account personnel changes etc.
McLaren: $'s. Playing good footy and on field leadership is paying off.
Bays: Top end is good, not sure how deep they bat. Fight for finals spot.
Roos: Recruited lots and takes time to gel. Lots of youth which will hold them back in the short term and pay off in the long term.
GPE: World of pain. Recruits are not great and had a bad run with Covid.
Mudlarks: Look out. Top 3 finish and will make some noise on their way through.
Demons: Older and slower. To reliant on to few. Will coast through til finals.
Roosters: There good is good, there bad is really bad. Depends which one turns up/
Yank: I feel bad for them. Hard to recruit and club struggling big time.
Creeks: Come back to the pack big time. Big outs and been covid impacted.
inthestands
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Postby bluebagger » Wed May 04, 2022 4:15 pm

inthestands wrote:Agree that the tipping this year will be diificult. McLaren certainly appear to be the benchmark.

My view on teams at the moment:
Compass: I think Nick Manhood is doing a good job at compass taking into account personnel changes etc.
McLaren: $'s. Playing good footy and on field leadership is paying off.
Bays: Top end is good, not sure how deep they bat. Fight for finals spot.
Roos: Recruited lots and takes time to gel. Lots of youth which will hold them back in the short term and pay off in the long term.
GPE: World of pain. Recruits are not great and had a bad run with Covid.
Mudlarks: Look out. Top 3 finish and will make some noise on their way through.
Demons: Older and slower. To reliant on to few. Will coast through til finals.
Roosters: There good is good, there bad is really bad. Depends which one turns up/
Yank: I feel bad for them. Hard to recruit and club struggling big time.
Creeks: Come back to the pack big time. Big outs and been covid impacted.
Great write up.

And I fear for the Tigers existence
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times

Postby goddy11 » Wed May 04, 2022 8:23 pm

I haven't been to a Pongy match in about 3 year ( I live in TTG) but happy to see them winning a few on the trot. I think I will make the trip there soon. Need some Pongy fans on here giving updates on their games. :drinkers: :ANAL:
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 560 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby field of dreams » Sat May 07, 2022 1:17 pm

Pongy to def Creek
Mclaren over Strath
VH over Yank
Compass over Bays
Will over Goolwa

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sat May 07, 2022 1:37 pm

field of dreams wrote:Pongy to def Creek
Mclaren over Strath
VH over Yank
Compass over Bays
Will over Goolwa

Agree with those with the exception of i'm tipping Bays over Compass tho wont be much in it.
Despite winning by 70 points last week, Comapss wern't that impressive imo against a depleted Creek side.

Creeks can't take a trick atm, getting 4 quality INs this week back from Covid in Captain Domonish, Helyer, Mitch Cleggett and Blackwell BUT then lose Coach Perrey, O'Dea and Kellock with Covid and Arbon who was concussed last week along with a broken nose. At least Creeks will have a Forward line this week capable of kicking a score.

As good a Job Simmo and Griff do with promoting the league with their Friday Footy Fanatics show, is there any chance they can do a little homework on how teams are shaping up week to week and actually tell the audience a few things that the average punter wouldn't know?

Anyone know what happened with the Reports of the 2 Strath players against the Creek on Anzac Day ?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby inthestands » Tue May 10, 2022 8:11 am

Clamp got off with the video evidence showing clearly what the umpire believed he saw and wrote in his report was wrong. The other player (can't remember name) got 1 week.

Really good round of matches this week!!
inthestands
Mini-League

Postby jackpot jim » Tue May 10, 2022 11:30 am

inthestands wrote:Clamp got off with the video evidence showing clearly what the umpire believed he saw and wrote in his report was wrong. The other player (can't remember name) got 1 week.

Thanks for that update

Tom Redden i think was the other player

Yep, Looking to be one of the better rounds for the season coming up with all games could go either way perhaps with the exception of the Creek v McLaren game. With a bit of luck the Creeks may get a few back this week to be more competitive but if rumors are right, Kellock could have played his last match for the Creek which will be a big blow for them.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Cheap Seats » Thu May 12, 2022 12:31 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
inthestands wrote:Clamp got off with the video evidence showing clearly what the umpire believed he saw and wrote in his report was wrong. The other player (can't remember name) got 1 week.

Thanks for that update

Tom Redden i think was the other player

Yep, Looking to be one of the better rounds for the season coming up with all games could go either way perhaps with the exception of the Creek v McLaren game. With a bit of luck the Creeks may get a few back this week to be more competitive but if rumors are right, Kellock could have played his last match for the Creek which will be a big blow for them.

So Strath got to play a team with Tom Redden last week who now gets a game a week late, & he cant play this week, two weeks after the incident because of the incident. Seems about right :roll: :roll: I wonder if influential people didn't hold influential positions, would the urgency of a tribunal been effected? Would they have waited a week if there were broken jaws, or a likely 5 week suspension? Cant make it upon the go or be inconsistent, not if you want to be seen as professional, clearly not a priority.
Cheap Seats
Rookie

Been liked: 24 times

Postby footy1992 » Fri May 13, 2022 11:26 pm

Umpire gets a split second to see, compute & decide a decision in a split second where as all others can review footage in slomo. Give him a break i say.

From all accounts the lighting down there isnt really upto standard anymore for night matches...
footy1992
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sat May 14, 2022 8:07 pm

footy1992 wrote:

Umpire gets a split second to see, compute & decide a decision in a split second where as all others can review footage in slomo. Give him a break i say.

From all accounts the lighting down there isnt really upto standard anymore for night matches...

Agree with giving the umpire a break. They have a tough job

In regards to the lights.
Theres about 5 lights not working across the 4 towers
They're usually checked and fixed before every night match (Every 2nd year these days) but the job was overlooked this year :roll:
If all are working they're adequate and yes these days with some grounds getting you beaut upgrades with lighting etc, older infrastructure is always going to look inferior.
Could have half the lights not working and would still be better than Straths which are terrible

McLaren THUMPED the Hawks by 94 points at the Creek today and if their squad stay fit and healthy it's hard to see them not winning the flag. Only query maybe their depth as their B Grade were surprisingly comfortably beaten. No idea if they had players missing or not ?
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Tue May 17, 2022 6:56 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Only query maybe their depth as their B Grade were surprisingly comfortably beaten. No idea if they had players missing or not ?

Unusual hey. Only sitting 5th but have destroyed some other sides and played 15 a side scratch match when GPE forfeited according to the GPE president on Footy Fanatics. Numbers seem ok lol

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Sat May 21, 2022 9:59 am

Some good games on paper today..

Creek over yank (yank have picked up a few so creek will need to play well)
Pongy over GPE
Bays v Willunga. Toss the coin- willunga
Mclaren v Victor. Smarts say Mclaren. Victor starting to gel so should be a good game.
Strath v Compass. Strath for me

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby bluebagger » Sat May 21, 2022 10:12 pm

field of dreams wrote:Some good games on paper today..

Creek over yank (yank have picked up a few so creek will need to play well)
Pongy over GPE
Bays v Willunga. Toss the coin- willunga
Mclaren v Victor. Smarts say Mclaren. Victor starting to gel so should be a good game.
Strath v Compass. Strath for me

You know what you do with paper don’t you.

3 floggings I see. And The Tigers obviously didn’t pick up much at all
bluebagger
Rookie

Postby field of dreams » Sat May 21, 2022 10:30 pm

I guess I should’ve known those 4 ins wouldn’t play this week. [emoji2369]

McLaren were very good today…had some big names missing too. Plenty of paper out that way it seems.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby bluebagger » Sun May 22, 2022 8:06 pm

field of dreams wrote:I guess I should’ve known those 4 ins wouldn’t play this week. [emoji2369]

McLaren were very good today…had some big names missing too. Plenty of paper out that way it seems.

Who are the 4 ins the Tigers have signed
bluebagger
Rookie

Postby field of dreams » Sun May 22, 2022 9:38 pm

Sorry 3 not 4 -Angus Weir has actually been there all year. The others might just be permit players.
Ethan Moore (at port) former yank b&f, has played a couple games this year now
Luke Arandt
Dylan Collis.

All were in the best against Goolwa

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Half Back Flanker » Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 am

footy1992 wrote:

I'm not involved in your league, but i saw the livestream from that game. Lighting was pretty poor and Clamp never had a case to answer to.
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby Bluedemon » Fri May 27, 2022 2:51 pm

Half Back Flanker wrote:
footy1992 wrote:

I'm not involved in your league, but i saw the livestream from that game. Lighting was pretty poor and Clamp never had a case to answer to.

how can we watch the livestream of the GSFL games?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Fri May 27, 2022 3:12 pm

Bluedemon wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:
footy1992 wrote:

how can we watch the livestream of the GSFL games?
Happy FM on YouTube.

Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy