Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby beer tent » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
mutton cove wrote:Who was the last club to go from wooden spoon to PREMIERS...

Any one gone from wooden spoon to undefeated?

Or this one !!

It must have been a blip on the radar Bull, with those quality outs back in a fast deck and the finals nerves...Creeks favorites for me !!
beer tent

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Bull 04 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 am

beer tent wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
mutton cove wrote:Who was the last club to go from wooden spoon to PREMIERS...

Any one gone from wooden spoon to undefeated?

Or this one !!

It must have been a blip on the radar Bull, with those quality outs back in a fast deck and the finals nerves...Creeks favorites for me !!

No favourites yet. To early to tell.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:08 am

Elim Final @ Willuinga
Willunga (4th) v E/ Bay (5th)

Both teams whilst doing enough to make the finals arnt expected to be serious challengers for the flag

Tip- Bays by 3 points which means Willinga will win by 6 goals. :roll:

Qualifying Final @ Myponga
L Creek (2nd) v Mclaren (3rd)

Mclaren got of to a flyer by winning their 1st 6 matches but have been a bit up and down since then
Creeks had a couple of poor performances in rounds 3 & 4 losing comfortably to Non Finalists Strath & Myp/Sellicks but since then have only lost the 1 game that being Round 17 where they were completely outclassed by reigning Premier Mt Compass.
Creeks have beaten McLaren in both encounters this season, the 1st at the Creek where the Hawks obliterated Mclaren in the wet and then accounted for them last week narrowly in a game that not too much can be taken from given that the result was likely to mean little

This week the past means NOTHING

McLaren are expected to have a few additions returning from injury whilst the Hawks have suffered a major blow in losing Sellar with injury from last week and combined with the loss of their Spiritual leader in "Roudy James" with a season ending injury in round 17 the result of this match is anyones guess?

Mclaren have the better record on the ground this year in beating Myp/Sell by 22 points in round 12 whilst the hawks put in an inglorious display going down to the Mudlarks by 23 points in round 4

Tip - Mclaren by 8 points which means the Creeks by 32 :lol:
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby mutton cove » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Junior colts, McLarens 3.9..Goolwa / Port Elliot 3.7. Senior colts, McLarens 7.3.. Encounter Bay / Yankalilla 14.8.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:59 pm

And then there were 4
E Bay were eliminated from the Premiership race today going down to Willunga in the Elim Final by 13 points
Bays kicked the 1st goal of the match in the 1st minute but from then on it was all Willunga as the Bays were plauged by poor skills and decision making to enable Willunga to take a 25 point lead into qtr time.
From that point on the Bays were playing catch up footy and despite challenging a number of times they fell short.

In the wet at Myponga the Creeks kept their perfect record over McLaren this year making it 3 from 3 with a 17 point win.
Apart from the 1st 5 minutes of the game when McLaren lead 1 - 3 to nil, the Hawks controlled the match, steadily increasing their lead to 44 points by 3/4 time. The Creek players then certainly had their minds on other things as their intensity dropped and McLaren came charging back into the game with 5 unanswered goals to cut the margin to 14 points with still plenty of time to go. Creeks finally got some control of the ball and could have sealed the game but a string of behinds left the door open but despite going goalless in the last term for the 2nd week in a row, they did enough to hang on.

1st semi Final
McLaren v Willunga @ Encounter Bay

Tip - McLaren by 16 points. Finished 3rd for a reason and despite their lack of finals experience i'd expect them to get the job done over Willunga.

2nd Semi Final
Mt Compass v Langhorne Creek @ Goolwa

Tip - Mt Compass by 26 points. Compass have to be clear favorites here on the back of their crushing win over the Hawks a few weeks back when Top spot was on the line. If the Hawks can find some scoring potency against the Dogs then they're a chance as they have held the Dogs forwards to a moderate score in both encounters this season in splitting the points with 1 win each
With Sellar in doubt to front for the Creeks again, the Hawks could be tested in the height department unless wet conditions prevail again as they did Saturday.

Suggested Flag odds

Compass $1.30
Creeks $4.20
McLaren $13.00
Willunga $21.00
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby beer tent » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Thought I would head to the GSFL finals for a change, so I went to Myponga to see 2nd vs 3rd, thought I grab a pie at the start of the A grade game everything sold out except hot chips quite disappointing considering there was a fair crowd there just like the association game at Strath canteen closed at start of main game must be a great southern thing that clubs cant cater for crowds at big games. It was a good game of footy considering the conditions but I did see something extrordinary at half time with the McLaren coach bee lining it across the oval to a group of McLaren supporters and absolutely giving it too them saying that's all he could hear and to the extent that if they didn't shut up he told them they could all F$&k off and leave, never have seen that before wonder how that sits with club wasn't a real good look with kids around.
beer tent

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:54 am

beer tent wrote:Thought I would head to the GSFL finals for a change, so I went to Myponga to see 2nd vs 3rd, thought I grab a pie at the start of the A grade game everything sold out except hot chips quite disappointing considering there was a fair crowd there just like the association game at Strath canteen closed at start of main game must be a great southern thing that clubs cant cater for crowds at big games. It was a good game of footy considering the conditions but I did see something extrordinary at half time with the McLaren coach bee lining it across the oval to a group of McLaren supporters and absolutely giving it too them saying that's all he could hear and to the extent that if they didn't shut up he told them they could all F$&k off and leave, never have seen that before wonder how that sits with club wasn't a real good look with kids around.

:shock:
Was totally unaware that occurred.
What were the group of McLaren supporters mouthing off about?
Generally it's the umpires rightly or wrongly.
May have been the case as the Creeks seemingly did get a very good run with them in the 1st half.
Good on the McLaren coach for confronting them IF they wern't portraying their club in a good light.

Credit to the McLaren coach as pretty much straight after the final siren i noticed he did bee line it straight over to the Creeks coaching staff and warmly congratulated them on the win. That was a good look for the game that didn't go unnoticed by me at least.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby mutton cove » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:21 am

beer tent. No idea what league you come from, but would be interesting to know since you have appointed yourself as a league critique. Those supporters have been there through the hard times and are now having their day in the sun.
mutton cove
Rookie

Postby beer tent » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:46 pm

mutton cove wrote:beer tent. No idea what league you come from, but would be interesting to know since you have appointed yourself as a league critique. Those supporters have been there through the hard times and are now having their day in the sun.

Not sure being told to F##K OFF is a day in the sun but I guess each to their own and to be standing in front of a group of your supporters including children using foul language is to be congratulated JJ. What I witnessed was nothing short of disgraceful, I just wonder how you two speak in front of the females in your family
beer tent

Postby mutton cove » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:13 pm

beer tent. Your local league? and what qualifies you to become a league critique?
mutton cove
Rookie

Postby Luke15 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:17 pm

beer tent wrote:Thought I would head to the GSFL finals for a change, so I went to Myponga to see 2nd vs 3rd, thought I grab a pie at the start of the A grade game everything sold out except hot chips quite disappointing considering there was a fair crowd there just like the association game at Strath canteen closed at start of main game must be a great southern thing that clubs cant cater for crowds at big games. It was a good game of footy considering the conditions but I did see something extrordinary at half time with the McLaren coach bee lining it across the oval to a group of McLaren supporters and absolutely giving it too them saying that's all he could hear and to the extent that if they didn't shut up he told them they could all F$&k off and leave, never have seen that before wonder how that sits with club wasn't a real good look with kids around.

Beer Tent give it a spell. I was sitting 4 cars down from those supporters on Saturday and they were horrible. Everything they were saying was negative towards umpires and actually quite obnoxious at times. They were extremely loud as well. To make matters worse McLaren seemed to be getting rough end of the stick from them as well.

The coach ran across the oval at half time and told them to shut up. He said the way they were being was not helping his team with the umpires and that all anyone could hear was them. He said if I hear you then the players hear you and so so the umpires. Sure I agree there were some swear words thrown in that could have been left out. But they were mainly when one of them tried to argue back with him. I didn’t hear what they said but he replied and said if you can’t keep your mouth shut then f##k off.

Surely you don’t condone the umpire bashing and abuse of these supporters Beer Tent? And maybe the coach genuinely thought it was effecting his team
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Is the GF at Compass this year? I wouldn't have thought the facilities there would be large enough for a GF?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby beer tent » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:30 am

Dutchy wrote:Is the GF at Compass this year? I wouldn't have thought the facilities there would be large enough for a GF?

Wow really ! I have been there once it seemed fairly small, should be an awesome atmosphere with the crowd packed in. What is the ruling on Grand Finals Dutchy ?
beer tent

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:43 am

beer tent wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Is the GF at Compass this year? I wouldn't have thought the facilities there would be large enough for a GF?

Wow really ! I have been there once it seemed fairly small, should be an awesome atmosphere with the crowd packed in. What is the ruling on Grand Finals Dutchy ?

No idea have just heard it is there this year, would surely have to make it a no car entry event to fit everyone in, but then where does everyone park?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Finals are on a 10 year rotation (10 clubs) amongst all grounds so everyone gets a go. Compass is tight but it’s amazing how many cars they can actually pack in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:06 pm

You should go Dutchy, the atmosphere at Compass will be sensational
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Rotation system seems to have commenced in 2003 with Willunga being the first host under that system. Not sure why Langhorne Creek got 2 years in a row in 2011 and 2012 or did they get some compensation for losing finals games due to the Bremer flooding? Mt Compass has only ever hosted 1 GSFL Grand Final which was 2008 between Willunga and Strath (Willunga won by 11 goals). There will be a limit to how many cars will fit and not sure where cars will park outside the ground but the venue is set up to provide a great atmosphere with a big crowd. Getting out of Compass post game will be the most challenging part.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Rotation system seems to have commenced in 2003 with Willunga being the first host under that system. Not sure why Langhorne Creek got 2 years in a row in 2011 and 2012 or did they get some compensation for losing finals games due to the Bremer flooding? Mt Compass has only ever hosted 1 GSFL Grand Final which was 2008 between Willunga and Strath (Willunga won by 11 goals). There will be a limit to how many cars will fit and not sure where cars will park outside the ground but the venue is set up to provide a great atmosphere with a big crowd. Getting out of Compass post game will be the most challenging part.

The finals would have been swapped if someone was to get a home game (final). That has since changed as it was difficult for clubs to organise catering, etc at short notice. Now it’s just bad luck (or good) and the final stays as programmed. Works well in my opinion. Some may gripe about oval conditions and parking but at least it’s shared about for all to get something out of it.

Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby beer tent » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:48 pm

neverwas neverwillbe wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Rotation system seems to have commenced in 2003 with Willunga being the first host under that system. Not sure why Langhorne Creek got 2 years in a row in 2011 and 2012 or did they get some compensation for losing finals games due to the Bremer flooding? Mt Compass has only ever hosted 1 GSFL Grand Final which was 2008 between Willunga and Strath (Willunga won by 11 goals). There will be a limit to how many cars will fit and not sure where cars will park outside the ground but the venue is set up to provide a great atmosphere with a big crowd. Getting out of Compass post game will be the most challenging part.

The finals would have been swapped if someone was to get a home game (final). That has since changed as it was difficult for clubs to organise catering, etc at short notice. Now it’s just bad luck (or good) and the final stays as programmed. Works well in my opinion. Some may gripe about oval conditions and parking but at least it’s shared about for all to get something out of it.

Looking at the results in the GF up there it seems a home final isn't an advantage anyway !
beer tent

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Down the Hill wrote:. Not sure why Langhorne Creek got 2 years in a row in 2011 and 2012 or did they get some compensation for losing finals games due to the Bremer flooding?

Lanhorne Creek have only hosted the ONE Grand Final since being admitted to the GSFL in 1978.
That being in 2011 where they beat Willunga by 56 points

Langhorne Creek were due to host it in 2010 but after the oval was flooded by the Bremer in early September and with substantial rain forecast for the week leading up to the GF, as a precaution it was swapped with Goolwa who were due to host it in 2011.

Yankalilla hosted the Grand Final in 2012 going down to the Creeks by 21 points.
jackpot jim
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy