Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby ball breaker » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:08 am

jackpot jim wrote:Creeks season ahead has just got a little tougher it seems?
Konitzka who was due to resume in the ANZAC clash against Strath has decided to return back to where he was last year due to a lack of employment opportunities i believe? If true, it will be a big blow to the Hawks in their attempt to return to Finals action.
Also will be without an onballer for a while who reportedly suffered a significant facial injury in an unprovoked coward punch attack at a party last Saturday night.
Whilst not conceding finals chances so early in the reason, it may well turn out to be another season of getting games into and further developing their youth.
A Former Norwood coach to pull the boots on for his 1st game for the Hawks for 3 years?

Bugger. But would be great to see dugga out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Watched Victor v Yank today. Yank a very handy team with very good foot skills and exceptional hard bodies over the footy. Were very impressive.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Watched Goolwa v Creek today.
Creek led for 98% of the match, had numerous chances throughout the match to stretch the margin out to a match winning break but were unable to do so as Goolwa/Pt Elliot secured a game levelling goal with about 3 minutes to go and Creeks then desperately defended for a draw.
Was a close hard fought match between 2 teams that will certainly struggle to play finals one would think as both teams lacked depth in quality around the ground resulting in a mainly scrappy, error riddled affair.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby field of dreams » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:36 pm

What a round! Who is the premiership favorite? :? :?

Willunga?
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Animus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:47 am

Round 3 April 22nd

Victor Harbor vs Encounter Bay
Yankalilla vs Goolwa-Pt Elliot
Mount Compass vs McLaren Vale
Willunga vs Myponga-Sellicks

Tuesday 25th @ The Creek, 6:15pm

Langhorne Creek vs Strathalbyn
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby GWW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Could be an interesting recruit for Victor..

Northern Territory Football League (NTFL) Victor Harbor Football Club Motlop, Daniel Pending 2017-04-19
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:31 am

Animus wrote:Round 3 April 22nd

Interesting results with all home teams winning.
Are Yankalilla and Willunga the real deal and serious contenders for this years flag?
Last years trendsetters in Mt Compass , E Bay and particularly Strath look to be a fair way off last years form ATM.
Creeks upset Strath in the big Anzac Day match under lights at the Creek surprisingly easily winning by 46 points!
14 - 12 to 7 - 8
Creeks form in the 1st half particularly was outstanding the way the quickly moved the ball with surety despite the slippery conditions whilst Strath were extremely undisciplined giving away numerous 50m penalties and they certainly paid the price for it.
Huge games for both this weekend coming off only a 4 day break.
Certainly one of the most intriguing starts to a season for many years.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby oldbomber » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:20 am

jackpot jim wrote:
Animus wrote:Round 3 April 22nd

Interesting results with all home teams winning.
Are Yankalilla and Willunga the real deal and serious contenders for this years flag?
Last years trendsetters in Mt Compass , E Bay and particularly Strath look to be a fair way off last years form ATM.
Creeks upset Strath in the big Anzac Day match under lights at the Creek surprisingly easily winning by 46 points!
14 - 12 to 7 - 8
Creeks form in the 1st half particularly was outstanding the way the quickly moved the ball with surety despite the slippery conditions whilst Strath were extremely undisciplined giving away numerous 50m penalties and they certainly paid the price for it.
Huge games for both this weekend coming off only a 4 day break.

Yeah creeks looked good in the conditions, adapted quicker. Strath were undisciplined giving 50 after 50 some there some not but clearly they didnt fix this problem and adjust. Umpiring was very very low quality all game both ways. Strath were missing 4-5 quality senior leaders who would have made this a closer contest and better controlled their level off discipline. I would tip a different result later in the year if those guys are all fit! Derham was exceptional and took home the medal.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby field of dreams » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:37 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Are Yankalilla and Willunga the real deal and serious contenders for this years flag?.....

Last years trendsetters in Mt Compass , E Bay and particularly Strath look to be a fair way off last years form ATM.....

That it is. Compass might be back on track - 40 scoring shots to 6 is a fair demolition.

Injuries to key players can make a huge difference as oldbomber pointed out with Pegler, Munn, Elliott x2 missing for Strath, but Creek certainly look to be back on the pace this year. Yank will need to do well in the injury department with their B's sitting winless so far.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Jimmy Recard » Mon May 01, 2017 11:54 am

field of dreams wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:Are Yankalilla and Willunga the real deal and serious contenders for this years flag?.....

Last years trendsetters in Mt Compass , E Bay and particularly Strath look to be a fair way off last years form ATM.....

That it is. Compass might be back on track - 40 scoring shots to 6 is a fair demolition.

Injuries to key players can make a huge difference as oldbomber pointed out with Pegler, Munn, Elliott x2 missing for Strath, but Creek certainly look to be back on the pace this year. Yank will need to do well in the injury department with their B's sitting winless so far.

Willunga did it fairly easy over Yank on Saturday, Yanks top end talent were competitive but there lower end just couldn't go with Willunga. With there 2's getting beltered by 20 goals, depth is a real concern.
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint,
The greats were great because they paint a lot.
Jimmy Recard
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby jackpot jim » Mon May 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

Willunga did it fairly easy over Yank on Saturday, Yanks top end talent were competitive but there lower end just couldn't go with Willunga. With there 2's getting beltered by 20 goals, depth is a real concern.

Most clubs depth is a concern compared to Willunga who have won 50% of the B Grade Flags since entering the GSFL in the early 80s.
Creeks had a huge struggle with McLaren for the 1st 3 quarters. Last quarter saw the Creeks run away with the game when most thought McLaren would with the Creeks coming off a 4 day break.
Creeks have made a promising start to the season after struggling the last 2 seasons. Will get a clearer picture in the next month where they will finish at the end of Rd 18. They certainly met Compass and Strath and Goolwa all at the right times when they were understrength and battled to get the better of McLaren. Will need to hope they have a good run with injuries as the cupboards bare in their Bs. More times than not, 10 wins are required to play finals tho 8 has been enough on a few occasions. Lot of work to do for a few clubs who have got off to slow starts.
FWIW here's my Premiership Table after round 18
1/ Willunga
2/ Mt Compass
3/ Victor
4/ Yank
5/ E Bay
6/ Creeks
7/ Strath
8/ Myponga/Sellicks
9/ Goolwa/Pt Elliot
10/ McLaren

Will be interesting to see how far out i am :roll:
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby innocent bystander » Sat May 06, 2017 9:25 pm

Shambles at victor today. Mclaren winning by 3 points after a very close last quarter . Singing the song and celebrsting their first victory in a long time only to hear that the goal umpires scores were different to everyone else ( both team managers, time keepers, score board and the radio van ).
Still not sure who has been given the points.
innocent bystander
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby The Yetti » Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Yes Innocent bystander
Total Balls Up
Both Victor and McLaren timekeepers agreed with each other. (McLaren Win)The radio station said that McLaren Won, and I personally spoke with them.
Having seen the scorecards from the goal umpires......my 7 year old grandson could do better, the issue is the 3rd quarter.
Will do some more homework before I jump into the fire
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby The Yetti » Sat May 06, 2017 10:25 pm

No results on the net so here goes......
A very enjoyable and entertaining game. The last 10 minutes Victor had it in their 50 metre zone for most of the time but could not get the goal they needed. Siren goes and McLaren celebrate, sing the song with gusto with the scoreboard, timekeepers, and radio station all agreeing that McLaren won the game. The goal umpires agreed with each other that Victor won. They do confer at the end of each quarter so that is probably expected. However their cards both say that Victor kicked 3 goals in the 3rd quarter. They did in fact only kick 2.
The real score was McLaren 11-7 Victor 10-10
I think the goal umpires had McLaren 11-7 Victor 11-9
VITAL ISSUES
1. So that means both of them managed to put an extra goal in the 3rd quarter.
That seems strange that both of them would make the same mistake.
2. How many goals did the Victor Harbor Team manager write down?
Did he get a total of 10 or 11
3. Do the Victor players agree to the list of goal keepers?
4. Did the goal umpires both agree to the score at 3/4 time?
5. Yes to question 4...they both made the same mistake
6. No to question 4. Well that could just be the real problem and they guessed wrong and ended up innocently covering....delete..delete

McLaren A's morally and correctly one their first game of 2017
I hope everyone involved sleep well for the next few nights
It is sport and I hope that sportsmanship, honesty and truth is respected
The young fella making his debut for McLaren today showed a bit by the way
last point and I move on.....maybe to facebook. (smile to myself)
If Victor scrape into the finals as a result of this and go on and win the grand final
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Yetti » Sat May 06, 2017 10:28 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Jimmy Recard wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

Most clubs depth is a concern compared to Willunga who have won 50% of the B Grade Flags since entering the GSFL in the early 80s.
Creeks had a huge struggle with McLaren for the 1st 3 quarters. Last quarter saw the Creeks run away with the game when most thought McLaren would with the Creeks coming off a 4 day break.
Creeks have made a promising start to the season after struggling the last 2 seasons. Will get a clearer picture in the next month where they will finish at the end of Rd 18. They certainly met Compass and Strath and Goolwa all at the right times when they were understrength and battled to get the better of McLaren. Will need to hope they have a good run with injuries as the cupboards bare in their Bs. More times than not, 10 wins are required to play finals tho 8 has been enough on a few occasions. Lot of work to do for a few clubs who have got off to slow starts.
1/ Willunga
2/ Mt Compass
3/ Victor
4/ Yank
5/ E Bay
6/ Creeks
7/ Strath
8/ Myponga/Sellicks
9/ Goolwa/Pt Elliot
10/ McLaren

A fair bit I would reckon
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Sat May 06, 2017 11:11 pm

The Yetti wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
Jimmy Recard wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

1/ Willunga
2/ Mt Compass
3/ Victor
4/ Yank
5/ E Bay
6/ Creeks
7/ Strath
8/ Myponga/Sellicks
9/ Goolwa/Pt Elliot
10/ McLaren

A fair bit I would reckon

I agree, with the unpredictability of results from week to week, it would be a hell of an trick to get to final placings close after Round 4.
Which teams do you think i have majorly wrong Yetti?
Disappointing about the score stuff up in the Victor - McLaren game.
Will be interesting to see what the official result is.
Regardless of what the scoreboard reads or scores that the team managers, Time Keepers or Radio commentators have, I would think that if the 2 goal umpires agree, than theirs would be the Official score.
Thats not to say that they have it 100% correct but what else do you go on then?
Hopefully it gets sorted and the REAL winners are awarded the 2 points which ever team that is.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby The Yetti » Sat May 06, 2017 11:59 pm

You are correct. The Goal Umpires scorecards are official. Umpires are always right and I have always respected that. Tested me more than ever.......only because I am sure someone is being dishonest. What really disappoints me is that it seems Victor Harbor has found an extra goalkicker. Spoke to Ian Basham and he is sure that Victor never hit the front, while Grant Levi was pretty flippant about it saying that we lost but we won and you won but lost.
Has winning become that important in country football
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

The Yetti wrote:You are correct. The Goal Umpires scorecards are official. Umpires are always right and I have always respected that. Tested me more than ever.......only because I am sure someone is being dishonest. What really disappoints me is that it seems Victor Harbor has found an extra goalkicker. Spoke to Ian Basham and he is sure that Victor never hit the front, while Grant Levi was pretty flippant about it saying that we lost but we won and you won but lost.

Yetti; do the umpires signal to the scoreboard "scores correct" at every break?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby jackpot jim » Sun May 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
The Yetti wrote:You are correct. The Goal Umpires scorecards are official. Umpires are always right and I have always respected that. Tested me more than ever.......only because I am sure someone is being dishonest. What really disappoints me is that it seems Victor Harbor has found an extra goalkicker. Spoke to Ian Basham and he is sure that Victor never hit the front, while Grant Levi was pretty flippant about it saying that we lost but we won and you won but lost.

Yetti; do the umpires signal to the scoreboard "scores correct" at every break?

That is the protocol and if they are not correct the goal umpires normally (should!) have them corrected before play re starts.
With McLaren having a Paid Panel Goal Umpire every week , i would think that this surely would have happened.
If it didn't then it is not good enough.
It it did then the scoreboard operators have buggered up in the last quarter.
Not being there i'm only making assumptions.
Even at the TOP level of Professional footy there are mistakes made by Players, umpires and officials at times so at County level there are bound to be more mistakes made by not only the central umpires (although imo the GSFL umpires in the main umpire with more common sense and a better feel for the game than their so called professional AFL counterparts) players along with the volunteer (in most cases) goal umpires and scoreboard attendants.
The accuracy of the scoreboard in country footy has been a bug bear of mine for ever and a day.
They are mainly operated by kids who have good intentions but are easily distracted at times resulting in a missed score here and there that can be crucial in tight finishes.
As for the clubs volunteer goal umpires, i think in the main they are unbiased in their decision making although the competency of a couple in the league are questionable imo but thats life i guess.

Im guessing the result of the game will stand as a Victor win as the goal umpires scorecards indicate but at the very least you'd like to think there would be some sort of investigation by the league into the matter if there is sufficient evidence to warrant one so at the very least to minimize the chances of a similar event occurring again.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby limb » Sun May 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Surely someone from the GSFL Executive could listen to the recording of the radio call and tally the scores as the action is being called??
limb
Under 18s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy