HFL Division 3 (C grade)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Hills C grade 2013

Postby Hear the roar » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Hear the roar wrote:Thanks Ye Olde Place Kick for your support and wealth of information. Good reading for me as I'd never heard of a couple of the clubs you mentioned.
C Grade scores today:-
Milang over Mt. Barker by 10 goals. The Panthers played four consistent quarters, did everything requested and finished well. We're looking forward to the bye this week.
Blackwood over Beagles (spectators' term) by around 7 goals. BRFC were VASTLY improved, contested well and with the same side will roll Mt. Barker next week for a spot in the finals.
Both games played in good spirits, the sun shone, the oval was excellent and the chips and gravy in the canteen were first class.
C Grade is alive and well worth a visit. :D

I forgot to mention the games were at Callington.
Players win awards. Teams win games. Clubs win Premierships.
Hear the roar
Rookie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby cracka » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:56 pm

The HFL was formed in 1967 when the Hills Football Association & the Torrens Valley Football Association merged.
The Onkaparinga Valley Football Club was also formed in 1967 as a merger between the Onkaparinga Football Club and Woodside/Army Combined. We adopted the colours & bulldog logo from the Woodside/Army club, Onkaparinga used to be Hawthorn colours & logo as the netball & cricket clubs still are.
Our modis teams still use Woodside oval as their training base.
I remember playing 1 mini colts game in a way too big Hawthorn jumper when we 1st moved to the hills. Can also remember as a Junior colt playing against Lenswood Ranges at Lenswood (which was a combination of Lenswood & Forest Range clubs) & their colours were green & red.
Bit of history for you.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:08 pm

cracka wrote:The HFL was formed in 1967 when the Hills Football Association & the Torrens Valley Football Association merged.
The Onkaparinga Valley Football Club was also formed in 1967 as a merger between the Onkaparinga Football Club and Woodside/Army Combined. We adopted the colours & bulldog logo from the Woodside/Army club, Onkaparinga used to be Hawthorn colours & logo as the netball & cricket clubs still are.
Our modis teams still use Woodside oval as their training base.
I remember playing 1 mini colts game in a way too big Hawthorn jumper when we 1st moved to the hills. Can also remember as a Junior colt playing against Lenswood Ranges at Lenswood (which was a combination of Lenswood & Forest Range clubs) & their colours were green & red.
Bit of history for you.

All true Cracka
The Woodside Army I was referring to was in 75 they played in the B grade of the old zone 2 with I think Narine not having a B grade team. Remember playing on their base I think and changing in tents :o
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby bailey39 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Loving all the history in this thread. Surely with more people moving to the Hills that there would need to be more clubs not less? Always wondered how Littlehampton doesnt have a footy club because there is a lot of people to draw on. Having lived in country areas in different states I have seen towns that have three or four hundred people that have footy clubs with all four grades playing each week.
bailey39
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby cracka » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:06 pm

bailey39 wrote:Loving all the history in this thread. Surely with more people moving to the Hills that there would need to be more clubs not less? Always wondered how Littlehampton doesnt have a footy club because there is a lot of people to draw on. Having lived in country areas in different states I have seen towns that have three or four hundred people that have footy clubs with all four grades playing each week.

Absolutely there should be a team from Littlehampton & also a second team from Mt Barker.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:17 pm

bailey39 wrote:Loving all the history in this thread. Surely with more people moving to the Hills that there would need to be more clubs not less? Always wondered how Littlehampton doesnt have a footy club because there is a lot of people to draw on. Having lived in country areas in different states I have seen towns that have three or four hundred people that have footy clubs with all four grades playing each week.

Littlehampton 1958 to 74 never played against them but believe their colours were sky blue and red. They played in the old Hills Central Association ( pre runner to the Hills football League started in 67 ) 67 - 71 in the Southern Zone then 72-3 Zone 4 before disbanding. Big problem now days is that they played at Dunn Park Mt Barker and not certain it would be suitable for football now days. May be a team could band with Cornerstone College and play on their oval.

Littlehampton 14-8 beat Meadows 9-15 to win the 1968 premiership
Last edited by Ye Olde Place Kick on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Banker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Cornerstone old scholars were trying to put together a C grade team a year or 2 ago
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Banker wrote:Cornerstone old scholars were trying to put together a C grade team a year or 2 ago

Good news if they can the more the merrier. Did they ever talk to any one from Littlehampton or are most people tried up with Narine, Mt Barker or Hahndorf? I don't know out of the area for many years but notice Littlehampton is certainly growing in pop.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby bailey39 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:

Littlehampton 1958 to 74 never played against them but believe their colours were sky blue and red. They played in the old Hills Central Association ( pre runner to the Hills football League started in 67 ) 67 - 71 in the Southern Zone then 72-3 Zone 4 before disbanding. Big problem now days is that they played at Dunn Park Mt Barker and not certain it would be suitable for football now days. May be a team could band with Cornerstone College and play on their oval.

Littlehampton 14-8 beat Meadows 9-15 to win the 1968 premiership

Yep love the idea of them playing at cornerstone. So close to Dunn Park as well.
bailey39
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Hear the roar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 pm

An enjoyable day at Uraidla watching Cs with dry feet and no mud washing. Ha!
Minimal rain, not freezing and the oval wasn't too bad.

Blackwood over Uri's in the first game 5.12 to 3.2. Blackwood rested players for the finals, which almost bit them in the bum in the last quarter when they were threatened by less than a goal and rallied.

Mt. Barker over BRFC 16.11 to 5.11. Roos had 15, Eagles 14 at the first bounce. BRFC fought valiantly, finishing the game with 12 players but still managed 2 goals in the last quarter.

Full credit to Mt. Barker and BRFC for nominating Cs and keeping a very worthwhile comp alive. Not sure how the outcome affects the ladder, but let's hope both clubs are supported to field Cs next year.
Hear the roar
Rookie

Postby Pinarello » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Banker wrote:Cornerstone old scholars were trying to put together a C grade team a year or 2 ago

Good news if they can the more the merrier. Did they ever talk to any one from Littlehampton or are most people tried up with Narine, Mt Barker or Hahndorf? I don't know out of the area for many years but notice Littlehampton is certainly growing in pop.

Also plenty of Littlehamptonites tied up at Echunga.
Pinarello
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Hear the roar wrote:An enjoyable day at Uraidla watching Cs with dry feet and no mud washing. Ha!
Minimal rain, not freezing and the oval wasn't too bad.

Blackwood over Uri's in the first game 5.12 to 3.2. Blackwood rested players for the finals, which almost bit them in the bum in the last quarter when they were threatened by less than a goal and rallied.

Mt. Barker over BRFC 16.11 to 5.11. Roos had 15, Eagles 14 at the first bounce. BRFC fought valiantly, finishing the game with 12 players but still managed 2 goals in the last quarter.

Full credit to Mt. Barker and BRFC for nominating Cs and keeping a very worthwhile comp alive. Not sure how the outcome affects the ladder, but let's hope both clubs are supported to field Cs next year.

If scores are correct and the ladder from round 11 is, BRFC miss out on 4th to Mt Barker. If they lost by 3 fewer goals they would of made it.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Hear the roar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Some good footy happening this Sunday at Milang Oval.
Both games are 'sudden death' with the losers out and the winners playing in the Grand Final the following week.
Milang v Uraidla at 12 midday. (Milang finished 2nd, Uri's 3rd in minor round).
Blackwood v Mt. Barker at 1.45 pm. (Blackwood finished 1st, Mt. B 4th).
The first game will be a cracker with both sides deadly serious about the C Grade comp. A win each this season against each other by around the same margin.
Blackwood will win the second game and play in the Grand Final.
However, as I see it, the big winners are the players who are getting a game of footy due to C Grade, especially the struggling Eagles who have bravely fronted every week along with Mt. Barker/Torrens.
Game on for C Grade finals this week!
Hear the roar
Rookie

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Hear the roar wrote:Some good footy happening this Sunday at Milang Oval.
Both games are 'sudden death' with the losers out and the winners playing in the Grand Final the following week.
The first game will be a cracker with both sides deadly serious about the C Grade comp. A win each this season against each other by around the same margin.
However, as I see it, the big winners are the players who are getting a game of footy due to C Grade, especially the struggling Eagles who have bravely fronted every week along with Mt. Barker/Torrens.

Go the Panthers like to see them win the premiership, as it would be great to see a rebuilding club succeed. If I'm correct it would be their 1st premiership since beating Langhorne Creek in 65 10-14 to 4-11. Alas they did lose grand finals in 70, 86, 87 abet the last 2 to Kersbrook in the B's I believe.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Hear the roar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Go the Panthers like to see them win the premiership, as it would be great to see a rebuilding club succeed. If I'm correct it would be their 1st premiership since beating Langhorne Creek in 65 10-14 to 4-11. Alas they did lose grand finals in 70, 86, 87 abet the last 2 to Kersbrook in the B's I believe.

Milang won a C Grade Premiership in 89, a smidgen before my time in hills footy. 24 years between drinks came up at training and we're keen to give this a real go. The ground is still good and Milang will probably be the driest place to be this Sunday arvo. Our boys have bonded well this year with a low player turn-over and wouldn't mind another outing next week.
Hear the roar
Rookie

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Hear the roar wrote:

Milang won a C Grade Premiership in 89, a smidgen before my time in hills footy. 24 years between drinks came up at training and we're keen to give this a real go. The ground is still good and Milang will probably be the driest place to be this Sunday arvo. Our boys have bonded well this year with a low player turn-over and wouldn't mind another outing next week.

Great stuff about 89. I only knew the A grade or in 65 the AII grade in the old Hills Assoc. Did the club play Country then drop to the C's in the late 80's?
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Hear the roar » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:14 pm

C Grade Prelim final scores today:-

Blackwood into the Grand Final (see details below).

Milang into the Grand Final in a heart-stopper against Uraidla, 8.10 - 8.9. The Panthers kicked a goal with 7 seconds to go to win by a point. Uri's fielded their best possible side from their 3 senior grades and gave everything they had. The Panthers played their consistent, regular 22, stayed within 2 goals all day and surged in the last quarter. Needless to say, we're pretty chuffed in Pantherland :D

Two big negatives on the day:-
Mt. Barker/Torrens forfeited against Blackwood late last night and/or early this morning. If they'd done this earlier, Eagles/Bridgy could have been offered the chance to play a final since they missed out by a whisker. :(
Thumbs down to the Uraidla medico (?) who did her best from their bench to insist their trainers call for a stretcher for a player with cramp with 30 seconds to go. As she loudly pointed out, no time on and they were ahead.
Commonsense prevailed from the umpire, the game continued around their 'stricken' player and Milang won. 8)

Grand Final is at Callington this Sunday at 1 pm.
Hear the roar
Rookie

Postby saintal » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Well done to the Panthers. The Uraidla story doesn't surprise me.

Poor form by the Roos also.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Hear the roar wrote:C Grade Prelim final scores today:-

Milang into the Grand Final in a heart-stopper against Uraidla, 8.10 - 8.9. The Panthers kicked a goal with 7 seconds to go to win by a point. Uri's fielded their best possible side from their 3 senior grades and gave everything they had. The Panthers played their consistent, regular 22, stayed within 2 goals all day and surged in the last quarter. Needless to say, we're pretty chuffed in Pantherland :D

Mt. Barker/Torrens forfeited against Blackwood late last night and/or early this morning. If they'd done this earlier, Eagles/Bridgy could have been offered the chance to play a final since they missed out by a whisker. :(
Thumbs down to the Uraidla medico (?) who did her best from their bench to insist their trainers call for a stretcher for a player with cramp with 30 seconds to go. As she loudly pointed out, no time on and they were ahead.
Commonsense prevailed from the umpire, the game continued around their 'stricken' player and Milang won. 8)

Are you serious! a side forfeits a prelim the night before the game???
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Hear the roar wrote:C Grade Prelim final scores today:-

Are you serious! a side forfeits a prelim the night before the game???

Go the Panthers, all the best for this sunday.

Alas as stated earlier in the thread are Blackwood to strong for this level? So did Mt Barker pull the pin as they thought they had no chance ( poor if so ) or were they really short on numbers?

Cramp really? :lol:
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy