HFL Division 3 (C grade)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Hills C grade 2013

Postby Hear the roar » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Still smiling :D

Not sure why the Mt. Barker forfeit occured but it was very poor form on someone's part. Eagles/Bridgy would have had plenty of support if given the chance to play instead.

Yes, Blackwood are too strong overall for this level due to their sheer depth of players. A player must have played three C games or more in a minor round to be eligible for C grade finals and a couple of clubs can achieve this easily one way or another.

A big challenge for the Panthers this Sunday. We'll be giving this a real go and will name a side full of players who have played C Grade all year. 8)
Players win awards. Teams win games. Clubs win Premierships.
Hear the roar
Rookie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby cracka » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:09 am

Only 3 games to qualify for finals is a bit ridiculous. That needs to be looked at for the future & integrity of the C grade comp.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Gervais » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 am

cracka wrote:Only 3 games to qualify for finals is a bit ridiculous. That needs to be looked at for the future & integrity of the C grade comp.

with mt barker/torrens valley and bridgewater/callington both struggling to field teams on occassions this year and forfeiting games, i have my doubts that c grade will even be around next year.

clubs such as ironbank, hahndorf, mt lofty and onka valley have all entered c grade teams previously, and they all found it too hard in the end. this year two more clubs learnt the same thing.
Gervais
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Hear the roar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Gervais wrote:
cracka wrote:Only 3 games to qualify for finals is a bit ridiculous. That needs to be looked at for the future & integrity of the C grade comp.

with mt barker/torrens valley and bridgewater/callington both struggling to field teams on occassions this year and forfeiting games, i have my doubts that c grade will even be around next year.

clubs such as ironbank, hahndorf, mt lofty and onka valley have all entered c grade teams previously, and they all found it too hard in the end. this year two more clubs learnt the same thing.

Very valid points. Survival of C Grade is a worry. I think its' future lies with co-ordinating and supporting teams to play Cs as their only side eg. potentially Cornerstone. I still believe Callington could field Cs in its' own right with energetic and committed people. There are some very constructive ides re potential teams from posters a couple of pages back. Milang has managed to be competitive with minimal stress and a low-turnover, focussed player group who are mostly local. It can be done.
I think clubs who also field As and Bs in HFL should be welcome but have different criteria and eligibility for players to create a level playing field for all.
Finding support staff has a lot to do with clubs wanting to play Cs. Having 22 willing players isn't any good unless you have musterers, trainers, team managers, goal and boundary umpires, canteen and bar staff etc. At least three sides mentioned above have struggled or exited for these reasons.
So where do all the players go if it doesn't happen next year?
Hear the roar
Rookie

Postby Kickittometoo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:47 pm

All the very best to Milang on Sunday and will get there for support. You boys have done a magnificent job to get to a GF. I will be there and maybe catch you htr. ;)
Watching MILFS while you play footy
Kickittometoo
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby roodog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 am

Ye Olde Place Kick wrote:
shoe boy wrote:
Hear the roar wrote:C Grade Prelim final scores today:-

Blackwood into the Grand Final (see details below).

Milang into the Grand Final in a heart-stopper against Uraidla, 8.10 - 8.9. The Panthers kicked a goal with 7 seconds to go to win by a point. Uri's fielded their best possible side from their 3 senior grades and gave everything they had. The Panthers played their consistent, regular 22, stayed within 2 goals all day and surged in the last quarter. Needless to say, we're pretty chuffed in Pantherland :D

Two big negatives on the day:-
Mt. Barker/Torrens forfeited against Blackwood late last night and/or early this morning. If they'd done this earlier, Eagles/Bridgy could have been offered the chance to play a final since they missed out by a whisker. :(
Thumbs down to the Uraidla medico (?) who did her best from their bench to insist their trainers call for a stretcher for a player with cramp with 30 seconds to go. As she loudly pointed out, no time on and they were ahead.
Commonsense prevailed from the umpire, the game continued around their 'stricken' player and Milang won. 8)

Grand Final is at Callington this Sunday at 1 pm.

Are you serious! a side forfeits a prelim the night before the game???

Go the Panthers, all the best for this sunday.

Alas as stated earlier in the thread are Blackwood to strong for this level? So did Mt Barker pull the pin as they thought they had no chance ( poor if so ) or were they really short on numbers?

Cramp really? :lol:

I did hear from a Mt Barker player (who is shattered that they forfeited) that the coach told him they were going to be too short on numbers. No more specific details as yet
"That which does not defeat you can only make you stronger"
roodog
Under 16s

Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Hear the roar wrote:
Gervais wrote:

Very valid points. Survival of C Grade is a worry. I think its' future lies with co-ordinating and supporting teams to play Cs as their only side eg. potentially Cornerstone. I still believe Callington could field Cs in its' own right with energetic and committed people. There are some very constructive ides re potential teams from posters a couple of pages back. Milang has managed to be competitive with minimal stress and a low-turnover, focussed player group who are mostly local. It can be done.
?

Agree, it would be great to see some small one-team clubs spring up. Could Lenswood and Mylor be others?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Hear the roar wrote:
Gervais wrote:

I think clubs who also field As and Bs in HFL should be welcome but have different criteria and eligibility for players to create a level playing field for all.
Finding support staff has a lot to do with clubs wanting to play Cs. Having 22 willing players isn't any good unless you have musterers, trainers, team managers, goal and boundary umpires, canteen and bar staff etc. At least three sides mentioned above have struggled or exited for these reasons.
So where do all the players go if it doesn't happen next year?

Sad to see if you have no C grade next year.
Where would Milang play if that is the case HTR?
Would C grade in the Southern League or fill the bye in Country B grade be options?

Again all the best for the GF.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Hear the roar wrote:
Gervais wrote:

?

Agree, it would be great to see some small one-team clubs spring up. Could Lenswood and Mylor be others?

Think it was Saintal said Lenswood tried to put a C's up 2/3 years ago. Alas now days the numbers aren't there he stated from a recent post on another thread.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Alaska » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:16 pm

I am very concerned by the looks of C Grade football at the moment, unfortunately numbers of footballers are dwindling in the Hills.
I think the only way to survive as small "Country clubs" is to diversify and grow as unique but still important communities and rallying points, as all clubs have been in the past. (Remember....Didn't matter what school you went to weekends was for the "Club"!)

I don't know but could Milang with its clearly vibrant group at the moment, start up a competition that gets people, particularly older people with kids, excited by weekend sporting/social contests?
If football goes, what can we do to keep the fabric of Hills communities going?
The need is to feature "the new activity" around current infrastructure Oval, Club rooms, facilities, etc. to save money and build on what we have already.
Get back to what the "CLUB" was meant to be for the community?

Perhaps 9 aside AFL or if we are getting older admit it and move this ageing population into a new sport E.G. Pentanque, Bowles, or some of the Irish/Scotish "athletic" events. Or even a hosted mixed athletic "EVENT" afternoon/evening at a club each weekend? The Scots and Irish have gone back to this to try to provide that community feel.
To keep it relevant get the kids involved as well?

Just suggestions, are there others? Can this work as a catalyst to help Hills communities in the longer term?
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby 2old2slow » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:28 am

At the moment the C grade does seem to be dwindling but next year maybe with the help of blackwood could milang fill the void in country div.?
2old2slow
Rookie

Been liked: 6 times

Postby Hear the roar » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:06 pm

The discussions on this thread are some of the best reading on this site. So many ideas and so much knowledge and history about smaller clubs which haven't survived. Surely there must be a place for C Grade somehow? Let's keep this discussion on the leader board after the Grand Final to keep the input coming.

You're close to the mark Alaska. The community of Milang have all sorts of things happening for young and old in or near the town and it all seems to work without fuss. The footy club recruits with little effort because it's a good place to be, all players are respected and the team runs itself with all players on the selection committee.

Can't end this post without reminding all of the C Grand Final at 1 pm this Sunday, Callington Oval. :D
Hear the roar
Rookie

Postby Droversdog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Hear the roar wrote:The discussions on this thread are some of the best reading on this site. So many ideas and so much knowledge and history about smaller clubs which haven't survived. Surely there must be a place for C Grade somehow? Let's keep this discussion on the leader board after the Grand Final to keep the input coming.

You're close to the mark Alaska. The community of Milang have all sorts of things happening for young and old in or near the town and it all seems to work without fuss. The footy club recruits with little effort because it's a good place to be, all players are respected and the team runs itself with all players on the selection committee.

Can't end this post without reminding all of the C Grand Final at 1 pm this Sunday, Callington Oval. :D

I too am enjoying the readings here. All the best to Milang on Sunday and let's hope true country footy prevails.
Droversdog
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby bailey39 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 pm

I think the main thing that needs to happen is that they need to start organizing it earlier. this year was very last minute
bailey39
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Off the top of my head the following clubs have run a C grade at some point in the HFL history
Heathfield Aldgate United
Onka Valley
Mt Barker
Uraidla
Echunga
Bridgewater I think by themselves and this season with Callington
Blackwood
Ironbank
Mt Lofty
Kersbrook
Narine Bremer
Hahndorf
Torrens Valley
Milang
Eastern Rangers

uncertain if Stirling ever did back in the 60's or 70's and don't think Lobethal ever did.
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby ball magnet » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:49 am

YOPK ... Both Stirling and Lobethal did field teams in the late 1960s/early 70s in what was then known as the B2s third tier HFL competition.
Interesting to note that Milang's previous grand final win was at Callington Oval back in 1989 when they beat defending dual premier Mt Lofty by a point to win the then A3 flag.
All the best to the Panthers for Sunday.
ball magnet

Been liked: 2 times

Postby cracka » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Droversdog wrote:
Hear the roar wrote:The discussions on this thread are some of the best reading on this site. So many ideas and so much knowledge and history about smaller clubs which haven't survived. Surely there must be a place for C Grade somehow? Let's keep this discussion on the leader board after the Grand Final to keep the input coming.

I too am enjoying the readings here. All the best to Milang on Sunday and let's hope true country footy prevails.

I would start by changing the name from C grade to HFL Sunday footy & use it for the small towns like Milang, Sedan/Cambrai, Callington etc who can only fill 1 side as well as the other clubs who can fill a genuine 3rd team (eg people who don't make the A or B grade or can't play Saturday's).
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Ye Olde Place Kick » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 pm

ball magnet wrote:YOPK ... Both Stirling and Lobethal did field teams in the late 1960s/early 70s in what was then known as the B2s third tier HFL competition.
Interesting to note that Milang's previous grand final win was at Callington Oval back in 1989 when they beat defending dual premier Mt Lofty by a point to win the then A3 flag.
All the best to the Panthers for Sunday.

Thanks BM now you mention it B2's rings a bell. Was that for just the Central Zone clubs? Can you name the rest of the teams? Thanks again
Ye Olde Place Kick
Under 16s

Postby Kickittometoo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:06 pm

How are the lads shaping up for tomorrow htr?
Watching MILFS while you play footy
Kickittometoo
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Hear the roar » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Kickittometoo wrote:How are the lads shaping up for tomorrow htr?

All good. Looking forward to it and will give it our very best. Milang is a great club and we'll play the same side we've had all year for the love of the jumper. Playing in a Grand Final is the ultimate challenge and we're proud to be there.

GO YOU MIGHTY PANTHERS!! :D :D
Hear the roar
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy