Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:16 am

all our opinions mean **** all Oyster in the main context. I'm sure it'll work itself out.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Mythical Creature » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:47 am

oyster wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Why would clubs come out in the open and say they are going to "carry on as they please" at a public meeting or in general chit chat? Wouldn't you be keeping your mouths shut? If it were true this is what's happening it might not happen straight away, but one day it will catch up with them. Sorry I just find it hard to believe a club who is smart and organised enough to raise such funds for footy can then be stupid enough to put a target on their own back.

Probably because oyster is full of shit.

OK then believe what you want. Doesn't worry me in the slightest.

There was no gathering of some 16 football club people if that makes you feel better. The subject of the salary cap was never discussed at the gathering. Laughing Kookaburra and Mythical Creature you two know all

I certainly dont know all however i know my club. Maybe we are in the minority but player payments is not something we speak with other clubs about and salary cap doesnt bother us as we dont spend that much anyway.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Postby cracka » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:07 am

Does seem a bit unrealistic that clubs who will flaunt the salary cap would openly admit it to clubs who will abide by the rules.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:53 am

It's unrealistic they would tell anyone....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby oyster » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:56 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:It's unrealistic they would tell anyone....

Well the gathering never took place, I'm making it up and it he gathering of around 16 country club honchos never happened. Easy.
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:13 pm

The name of this thread would be more accurate if it read...... the points system is crucifying clubs that have no idea when it comes to recruiting the right people and/or sustainably managing it's player payment system.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Arry Gablett » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:54 pm

For top teams who are winning thats a great idea and I would suggest how they do it, for a bottom or struggling team continual lack of success means a revolving door of recruits , who invariably end up at the top clubs
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby oyster » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:05 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:The name of this thread would be more accurate if it read...... the points system is crucifying clubs that have no idea when it comes to recruiting the right people and/or sustainably managing it's player payment system.

It could also be named. "The points and salary cap system, is currently crucifying country clubs so the SANFL Reserves are propped up and the SAAFL clubs who can't match the country clubs with recruiting, money, administration or volunteers, have devised a system where they think it will be tougher for country clubs to afford and attract city based players away from the city" No point in sugar coating the reasons
oyster
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:27 am

oyster wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:The name of this thread would be more accurate if it read...... the points system is crucifying clubs that have no idea when it comes to recruiting the right people and/or sustainably managing it's player payment system.

It could also be named. "The points and salary cap system, is currently crucifying country clubs so the SANFL Reserves are propped up and the SAAFL clubs who can't match the country clubs with recruiting, money, administration or volunteers, have devised a system where they think it will be tougher for country clubs to afford and attract city based players away from the city" No point in sugar coating the reasons

So true .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:53 am

oyster wrote:

I don't disagree, but is it not a step in the right direction? Be interested to hear how you think they should approach and deal with the dilemma oyster if a salary cap and points system is not the answer? Yes, each strategy has their problems - but it is a complex issue.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby oldbomber » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:34 am

Swamp Donkey wrote:
oyster wrote:

I don't disagree, but is it not a step in the right direction? Be interested to hear how you think they should approach and deal with the dilemma oyster if a salary cap and points system is not the answer? Yes, each strategy has their problems - but it is a complex issue.

SANFL clubs in particular need to lift their game if they think it is ok to expect young blokes on apprentice wages or studying to train 4-5 nights a week and play saturday for minimal $$$.

These guys go well out in the country for less of a commitment and get compensated better for their time plus help keep declining numbers up out in country footy. Country clubs are struggling to retain numbers and have identified an area where they can recruit players and these often small rural clubs are beating the SANFL at retaining young players because they can provide better overall opportunities and often more enjoyable conditions to play footy. If the SANFL reserve comp was so awesome to be part of why would players consider leaving? Its not.

To the people saying you should just invest and develop your juniors, thats great in theory but i cant name too many country clubs with small populations saying we have excess juniors to even consider this. Often kids leave the country when they turn 18 anyway as their just isnt the jobs to keep them all local.

Bottom line is country is struggling for numbers overall and if the people involved in these clubs to put it simply have more passion and are prepared to work harder to raise money through sponsorship and recruit players to keep their club going then that is no reason to change the rules because city folk and big bullies like the SANFL simply cant match their desire to be successful and keep their footy club and town alive.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:58 am

FWIW I maintain that the C9AFL clubs aren't big fans of the Salary Cap either and are merely abiding by the CFL imposition. Most it won't change on the financial side but don't really want to do the paperwork.

This is being driven by the AFL and SANFL. Finger pointing at possible allies will get your agenda no where.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:05 am

oldbomber wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:
oyster wrote:

SANFL clubs in particular need to lift their game if they think it is ok to expect young blokes on apprentice wages or studying to train 4-5 nights a week and play saturday for minimal $$$.

That would be fine to compete against, if SANFL clubs weren't salary capped.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:06 am

Especially when it was a couple of country leagues who proposed it to the CFL
Why haven't any of the country leagues said no?
Surely if you are so opposed to it, you would have told your league officials to vote against it and they would have had to comply
I'm no fan of it - if clubs want to overspend and die then sobeit, but some of the crap on here is just laughable
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:07 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Especially when it was a couple of country leagues who proposed it to the CFL
Surely if you are so opposed to it, you would have told your league officials to vote against it and they would have had to comply
I'm no fan of it - if clubs want to overspend and die then sobeit, but some of the crap on here is just laughable

To be fair, one country league did vote/speak against it and was very vocal about it.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:15 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Especially when it was a couple of country leagues who proposed it to the CFL

To be fair, one country league did vote/speak against it and was very vocal about it.

Yep, but did they eventually agree?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:16 am

Yes, but to a watered down version.
The SACFL was never going to back down on this, so it's pretty much a victory for that league.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:01 pm

I think the answer to all this is pretty damn obvious. Scrap the caps in amateur footy.
Raise the cap for State Leagues. Obviously the SANFL clubs can't afford it but the AFL sure can. An extra 2-300k in the cap for each club costs the AFL 2-3million a year, small change for them. Leagues across Australia might cost them 10million.
Or does the AFL not care about football at open age level in the state leagues?

Where the salary cap really goes wrong is for those country clubs that look after their juniors who leave the area for education or work. Im not talking about the nearby country leagues here. If they can convince them to travel back for games by giving them a small wage of 2-300 a game they are penalised in that it leaves bugger all room in the salary cap to top with recruits to be successful. Its quite plausible you could have 10 locals living in the city that you are offering a small incentive to come back
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Can't disagree with any of that.
It's beyond me why the AFL wouldn't want its 'feeder leagues' to be as strong as they possibly could be.
That would help everyone.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Can't disagree with any of that.
It's beyond me why the AFL wouldn't want its 'feeder leagues' to be as strong as they possibly could be.
That would help everyone.

Too busy pumping massive $$$ into NSW and Qld, oh, and womens football
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy