COVID-19 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

COVID-19 (Country)

Postby SuperFrank » Tue May 12, 2020 3:56 pm

What is feel out in the country comps with the COVID-19 situation?

Things could change rapidly in the coming weeks but anyone see football going ahead? Would be questions marks on comps like KNTFL, Mallee & Western Borders than play clubs absed in Vic.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: COVID-19 (Country)

Postby Dirty dog » Tue May 12, 2020 5:30 pm

Most/all clubs up here in the YP League can’t see the season starting without crowds.
Both the clubs and the league agree on this.
The league get the gate which is around 12k a week and clubs need it for obvious reasons and most importantly the social side of things as most clubs are in farming community’s with no pubs and footy clubs are the only place they can catch up with friends,mates and family.
I’m a footy nut, committee member and coach but I just can’t see a ball being bounced this year.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 pm

SuperFrank wrote:What is feel out in the country comps with the COVID-19 situation?

Things could change rapidly in the coming weeks but anyone see football going ahead? Would be questions marks on comps like KNTFL, Mallee & Western Borders than play clubs absed in Vic.

I believe Kaniva have already pulled out of KNTFL for the season due to the border restrictions.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby football tragic » Tue May 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Dirty dog wrote:Most/all clubs up here in the YP League can’t see the season starting without crowds.
The league get the gate which is around 12k a week and clubs need it for obvious reasons and most importantly the social side of things as most clubs are in farming community’s with no pubs and footy clubs are the only place they can catch up with friends,mates and family.
I’m a footy nut, committee member and coach but I just can’t see a ball being bounced this year.

Have you done the numbers of the gate as 90% of gate takings are from football and netball players, volunteers or direct family members of them whom will still be allowed to attend
In relation to bar and canteen the canteen will still open as do cafes and delis now with takeaway
The bar would more than likely open in July which would be 2-3 games in so hardly crippling
So possibly the bigger issue are players being paid telephone numbers to play who when asked if they would play for the love.....we all know the answer there.
football tragic
Rookie

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby daysofourlives » Tue May 12, 2020 6:53 pm

football tragic wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:Most/all clubs up here in the YP League can’t see the season starting without crowds.

Have you done the numbers of the gate as 90% of gate takings are from football and netball players, volunteers or direct family members of them whom will still be allowed to attend
In relation to bar and canteen the canteen will still open as do cafes and delis now with takeaway
The bar would more than likely open in July which would be 2-3 games in so hardly crippling
So possibly the bigger issue are players being paid telephone numbers to play who when asked if they would play for the love.....we all know the answer there.

Junior footy will be played, senior footy wont, way too many obstacles.
The SANFL will mandate that nobody gets paid to protect the SANFL since they are having a zero salary cap. As a result of this some clubs in further away leagues will not be able to fill teams as their imported players and locals who return home each weekend will not do the long hours of travel for free. No league or the CFL will want to be responsible for any club folding. Its all in or not at all imo.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Tue May 12, 2020 7:00 pm

IMO The best case scenario will be 500 allowed in one venue, for most country leagues that will mean separating Football and Netball. That just wont work for all the families involved in both.
Unless that number is increased to 1000 i cant see any senior football being played. Juniors may start sooner than we think, around the time that the AFL starts
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue May 12, 2020 7:21 pm

daysofourlives wrote:IMO The best case scenario will be 500 allowed in one venue, for most country leagues that will mean separating Football and Netball. That just wont work for all the families involved in both.
Unless that number is increased to 1000 i cant see any senior football being played. Juniors may start sooner than we think, around the time that the AFL starts

Hills div 1 football doesn't have netball following so we might be ok.
Mid Hills Netball will be interesting. They play all grades on a Saturday at Woodside starting from 8.30 in the morning. 21 courts, 14 players per court, plus coaches, umpires & spectators.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Hazbeen » Tue May 12, 2020 7:35 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
football tragic wrote:

The SANFL will mandate that nobody gets paid to protect the SANFL since they are having a zero salary cap. As a result of this some clubs in further away leagues will not be able to fill teams as their imported players and locals who return home each weekend will not do the long hours of travel for free. No league or the CFL will want to be responsible for any club folding. Its all in or not at all imo.

CFL clubs will still have a salary cap although it may be reduced, travel & incentives payments will be unaffected
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby daysofourlives » Tue May 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Hazbeen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
football tragic wrote:

CFL clubs will still have a salary cap although it may be reduced, travel & incentives payments will be unaffected

Ok if thats the case what stops SANFL players walking out now that are not going to be paid? You simply cant have a lower tier being paid imo
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 pm

The APPS system, most clubs would of already allocated their 2020 allowance and contracted those players
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 12, 2020 8:12 pm

SANFL/CFL/Government wouldn't have produced a road map to play if there is no chance of leagues proceeding.

On the positive clubs now get back their Crows top up players :)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 13, 2020 9:12 am

daysofourlives wrote:
football tragic wrote:

I think there's a lot of merit in the highlighted line, a very probable outcome.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby football tragic » Wed May 13, 2020 9:26 am

Dutchy wrote:SANFL/CFL/Government wouldn't have produced a road map to play if there is no chance of leagues proceeding.

I think the comment about the Gov would not be preparing teams for a season without looking at obstacles and getting feedback from clubs is spot on. If they are asking us to get back to training there will be support from the Gov to make it happen. Lets face it there has been billions of dollars handed out in other areas and if they are saying how important community football and sports are then i`m sure they will make it happen and give the clubs support where they can.
football tragic
Rookie

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby batmanbegins » Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 am

football tragic wrote:
Dutchy wrote:SANFL/CFL/Government wouldn't have produced a road map to play if there is no chance of leagues proceeding.

I think the comment about the Gov would not be preparing teams for a season without looking at obstacles and getting feedback from clubs is spot on. If they are asking us to get back to training there will be support from the Gov to make it happen. Lets face it there has been billions of dollars handed out in other areas and if they are saying how important community football and sports are then i`m sure they will make it happen and give the clubs support where they can.

I agree, can see the second half of the year going ahead. Only thing that will stop it is a second wave.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Bigshow82 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

I think there's a lot of merit in the highlighted line, a very probable outcome.

Im not sure why we dont see more discussion around getting the juniors back playing as soon as possible. Costs are very minimal and if you can manage to run a BBQ or canteen its all profits for the club. Could spread the games out more over the day to ensure no log jam at grounds or change rooms (if being used). Then if things look good and seniors can start playing you have some ground work being laid as to how the day can run. If the kids can be back at school why cant they being playing sport?
Bigshow82
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 35 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Interestingly my son is having a scratch match in the school footy program today.

All that needs to happen at junior games is encourage parents and families to not congregate all in one spot, spread out all around the oval.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Pag » Wed May 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:Interestingly my son is having a scratch match in the school footy program today.

All that needs to happen at junior games is encourage parents and families to not congregate all in one spot, spread out all around the oval.

I'm assuming a private school mate? Inter-school sport still off the table in DfE schools.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 13, 2020 4:07 pm

Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Interestingly my son is having a scratch match in the school footy program today.

I'm assuming a private school mate? Inter-school sport still off the table in DfE schools.

Nah public school
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Pag wrote:

Nah public school
Public schools gone rogue!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Public school poofs.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times