RMFL

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

RMFL

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:37 pm

RMLF thread, lets let it all fly out!!!!
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby GWW » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:42 pm

I dont want to get into a major argument with you Stan, all i'm saying is that there are other clubs who recruit outsiders/spend heaps, so what Tailem has done in the last few years is not out of the ordinary
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:43 pm

Look GWW, im not going to mention names for the reason that im not really sure that putting peoples names on here is fair the them.

Anyway A few have left from you seniors stocks and headed ot other clubs, not only in the RMFL but also in to a few teams in the Malee league.

Imps are really bad and Jervios are worse.....happy now.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:49 pm

I dont really want to argue anyway, i was just making a comment. Dont worry there are that many clubs that do it these days, im mean look at North Adelaide or Port for example.
stan
Coach

Postby GWW » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:55 pm

Fair enough Stan, i can see where you are coming from, i apologise if i was becoming a bit defensive. Also i'll have to say that all clubs have players leave them and go other clubs, so Tailem is no different.

Recruiting outsiders is probably not the ideal way for clubs to operate, but then again if clubs can raise funds, then thats probably fair enough. When i first started following Tailem, from 85 to 88 they were nowhere near the finals, then in 89 they played finals for the first time in a few years. A lot of this happened due to the development of a lot of great juniors/locals....the club has now played finals every year since 89 and as a supporter i'm proud of that. For the last 15 years the club has been fortunate enough to recruit well and also develop some great juniors as well, so i think all up Tailem has been a very successful club, even if that has meant recruiting outsiders. I spoke to the Meningie coach last year and he said that they only had about 4 or 5 A grade regulars who were local so i think that sort of puts things into perspective as well.
GWW

Postby Ian » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:58 pm

When I left Coonalpyn there was no money at the Club (Borders), there was only a couple of performance awards given each week. I know at the time both Murray Bridge sides (pre Redlegs era), Mannum, Jervois and Mypolonga were throwing a fair bit of money around, it made it increasingly hard for Border Downs to compete, when there was no money to entice recruits. All played for the love of the jumper (even if it was a Collingwood one :wink: )
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:02 pm

All clubs do it, you even see it in say div 7 of the ameteur league, where you have a team playing for the love of jumper vs a team of half locals and half payed. Makes things interesting. I pretty much play for the love of the jumper. I and i say thats the way i play my best football.

Anyway all teams to an extent are gultiy of it so we shall let bygons be bygons. All is good on this side of the world.
stan
Coach

Postby GWW » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:10 pm

Ian, when i first started following the RMFL (in '85), Borders were certainly one of the stronger clubs in A Grade, which was quite admirable given that the population of the surrounding areas (ie Coonalpyn/Coomandook) wasnt all that great. I think Borders first started recruiting outsiders (ie Adelaide players) around 1989/1990 when they recruited a few West Adelaide Reserves players.
GWW

Postby Ian » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:20 pm

GWW wrote:Ian, when i first started following the RMFL (in '85), Borders were certainly one of the stronger clubs in A Grade, which was quite admirable given that the population of the surrounding areas (ie Coonalpyn/Coomandook) wasnt all that great. I think Borders first started recruiting outsiders (ie Adelaide players) around 1989/1990 when they recruited a few West Adelaide Reserves players.

I left to come to Adelaide at the end of '81, up until that time they had never played in a A grade GF, they had struggled for years, I still have a news paper clipping from when our A's won their first game in 2 1/2 seasons agianst Meningie, it was one of the wettest games I've ever seen, but you would have thought they had won a GF at the celebrations that night.
I played in a U15's GF against Ramblers in '79, I think it was the first GF for the club in any grade since joining the RMFL (we got flogged :( )

During the time they were the leagues easy beats, and went winless for 2 1/2 years, they regullary played Tintinara in trail games, these games highlighted how strong the RMFL was, as we used to regullary win the trials, even Tinti's premiership years in the Tatiara league.
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby GWW » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Ian wrote:
GWW wrote:Ian, when i first started following the RMFL (in '85), Borders were certainly one of the stronger clubs in A Grade, which was quite admirable given that the population of the surrounding areas (ie Coonalpyn/Coomandook) wasnt all that great. I think Borders first started recruiting outsiders (ie Adelaide players) around 1989/1990 when they recruited a few West Adelaide Reserves players.

I left to come to Adelaide at the end of '81, up until that time they had never played in a A grade GF, they had struggled for years, I still have a news paper clipping from when our A's won their first game in 2 1/2 seasons agianst Meningie, it was one of the wettest games I've ever seen, but you would have thought they had won a GF at the celebrations that night.
I played in a U15's GF against Ramblers in '79, I think it was the first GF for the club in any grade since joining the RMFL (we got flogged :( )

During the time they were the leagues easy beats, and went winless for 2 1/2 years, they regullary played Tintinara in trail games, these games highlighted how strong the RMFL was, as we used to regullary win the trials, even Tinti's premiership years in the Tatiara league.

I dont think Border Downs ever actually played in a grand final in the RMFL, but they were in the finals fairly regularly in the mid to late 80's.
GWW

Postby BM » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:54 am

Interesting someone mentioned Lucindale. One of my clubs and SAAFL better players (club capt) was lured to Lucindale for outrageous money. Huge sign on fee and over 500 a game. Also in the team Phil Smith and Nigel Fiegert so I cant imagine how much coin they are on. From my point of view a lot of good players are now turning their backs on SAAFL clubs as they cant come close to matching what some country clubs are paying. Does Lucindale operate under a salry cap?
BM
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby stan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:14 am

BM wrote:Interesting someone mentioned Lucindale. One of my clubs and SAAFL better players (club capt) was lured to Lucindale for outrageous money. Huge sign on fee and over 500 a game. Also in the team Phil Smith and Nigel Fiegert so I cant imagine how much coin they are on. From my point of view a lot of good players are now turning their backs on SAAFL clubs as they cant come close to matching what some country clubs are paying. Does Lucindale operate under a salry cap?

I dont think so. Im not 100% sure but i dont think there is one.
stan
Coach

Postby bandar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:27 am

All Leagues in SA are subject to a salary cap. What you will find with country sides is they will pay the majority of the cap to a small number of import players while the locals will get a couple beers if they get lucky. Then there are other ways around salary caps its not that hard to get around them.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Tigers'73 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:02 pm

Even though I only played Colts in the early 70's in Meningie, I can remember the Senior side in those days use to have about 3 or 4 players who came from Adelaide and played.
Meningie had a very good side in those days, I cant remember if they won premierships but they were a particularly strong side.

Cheers
Mark
Tigers'73
Mini-League

Postby Coorong » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:31 pm

Your spot on Tige, Meningie always paid a few ex sanfl player, the likes of Lester Ross. Not only did the club pay them but wealthy farmers would "shake hands" after a game with a twenty,fifty or more in the palm. Caused a lot of distention back then. I was there.

But no matter what they paid, never bought a premiership. Got close though.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby GWW » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:44 pm

Yeah no premiership for Meningie til 2001.

Coorong you might be interested to hear that Jamie Gibbs has been appointed for next season.
GWW

Postby duncs7 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:26 am

Can anyone fill me in with the story of Scott Feltus?
He is my cousin that i never see and the story im getting from my aunt about what happened was 99.99% more likey to not be the truth. Did he hit the ump or what?
I know he went to Jervois for the money.
duncs7
Under 18s

Postby Tigers'73 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:57 am

I use to play Colts footy with Jamie years ago, in those days he was probably the fastest runner in the team and a very good footballer.
Tigers'73
Mini-League

Postby Coorong » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:08 pm

I think Jamie would make a great coach. Didnt his brother take the job for a couple of years?

Under Jaime there will be no soft efforts.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby GWW » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:22 pm

Coorong wrote:I think Jamie would make a great coach. Didnt his brother take the job for a couple of years?

Under Jaime there will be no soft efforts.

I dont think Gary Gibbs ever coached Meningie's A grade side, although i stand corrected. Jamie Gibbs has got one of the best reputations in the RMFL, was a great player, very tough, whilst also skilful.
GWW

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy