RMFL

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Postby Punk Rooster » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:13 am

GWW, have the playing jumpers changed at all? I last saw the jumpers in 1992. From memory.... Tailem Bend (West Torrens) Jervois (West Adelaide Wolves ie stripes) Ramblers (North Adelaide skinny stripes tho) Mypolonga (Glenelg) Mannum (green & gold stripes) Imperials (Sturt with IFC instead) Meningie (Maroon & Yellow- unsure of design). Is the comp only 7 teams? Border Downs left the league a few yrs ago (I played against Border Downs-Tintinara, they had Crows jumpers), & Nairne-Bremer flirted with the league for a few years (jumper design I can't recall). Redlegs had the Norwod jumper. PS- what is each clubs nickname? I don't recall Ramblers or Redlegs having one.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby GWW » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:GWW, have the playing jumpers changed at all? I last saw the jumpers in 1992. From memory.... Tailem Bend (West Torrens) Jervois (West Adelaide Wolves ie stripes) Ramblers (North Adelaide skinny stripes tho) Mypolonga (Glenelg) Mannum (green & gold stripes) Imperials (Sturt with IFC instead) Meningie (Maroon & Yellow- unsure of design). Is the comp only 7 teams? Border Downs left the league a few yrs ago (I played against Border Downs-Tintinara, they had Crows jumpers), & Nairne-Bremer flirted with the league for a few years (jumper design I can't recall). Redlegs had the Norwod jumper. PS- what is each clubs nickname? I don't recall Ramblers or Redlegs having one.

A lot of the clubs have actually changed their guernsies in recent years. Tailem used to have a West Torrens type of guernsey but they brought in a modern looking guernsey a couple of years ago, although its still blue and gold. Jervois are like West Adelaide, Mannum brought in a different type of guernsey a couple of years ago, although still green and yellow. Redlegs have more of a "Melbourne Demons" look than Norwood, with the "V". Ramblers are the Roosters. Redlegs were the "Legs" for most of their life, then they changed to the Demons in the last couple of years of their existence. Tailem are Eagles/Imps are Blues/Mypo Tigers/Jervois Bloods/Mannum Roos/Meningie Bears. I think theyre stuck with 7 teams this year, they tried to organise for an 8th club, maybe Callington or Langhorne Creek but it didnt eventuate. Theyre still having a final 5 though.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:01 am

Why did the Nairne-Bremer "experiment" fail? Imo, I couldn't see a side like Langhorne Creek joining, perhaps more a side like Strathalbyn.

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby GWW » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:34 pm

Punk Rooster wrote:Why did the Nairne-Bremer "experiment" fail? Imo, I couldn't see a side like Langhorne Creek joining, perhaps more a side like Strathalbyn.

I'm not sure of the exact reason, i just think they decided to rejoin the Hills league. I personally thought that Strathalbyn would be the best club to chase to join the league, but the speculation in the local (Murray Bridge/Strathalbyn) media was that Langhorne Creek officials had been approached or were considering a move.
GWW

Mypolonga FC

Postby old blue » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:03 pm

The Murray Valley Standard has begun its pre-season coverage with Mypo. Here is a short summary of changes at the club.
Coach - Peter Milsom
New Players - Dudley Achee, Stephen Saunders, Matthew Carman, Karl Bliss, Matt Taylor.
With the obvious exceptions of Milsom and Achee I don't know anything about the other blokes.
old blue
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Mypolonga FC

Postby leftrightout » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:29 pm

old blue wrote:The Murray Valley Standard has begun its pre-season coverage with Mypo. Here is a short summary of changes at the club.
Coach - Peter Milsom
New Players - Dudley Achee, Stephen Saunders, Matthew Carman, Karl Bliss, Matt Taylor.
With the obvious exceptions of Milsom and Achee I don't know anything about the other blokes.

Do the Weinamann boys still play there. I had a good stoush with Andy one day after knocking one of brothers out in a fair tackle.
leftrightout
Rookie

Been liked: 1 time

Postby dinglinga » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:05 pm

who did u play for in the rmfl
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Coorong » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:42 pm

Meningie design has changed a lot over the years, as has their name, ie Bears, Pelicans, Lakesiders (still my preference) but to the uninitiated the colours are and always will be Maroon and GOLD.

Any opposition player ( i am talking a long while back) learnt this, often the hard way!
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:28 am

Coorong wrote:Meningie design has changed a lot over the years, as has their name, ie Bears, Pelicans, Lakesiders (still my preference) but to the uninitiated the colours are and always will be Maroon and GOLD.

Any opposition player ( i am talking a long while back) learnt this, often the hard way!
Yes, I recall the "Lakesiders" monicker (was surprised when I heard "Bears"), that would've been late 80's to early 90's at least. I rememberd them having the Maroon & Gold, not sure of the design. I remember playing cricket down on the main oval as well, almost requesting the mercy rule, as we got flogged- at 17/18, I was the oldest player in our team by a few years, playing against adults. I remember it being a hot , dry day, & I was contemplating suicide, rather than chasing a ball in that heat, with no hope of victory. (In fact we had 1 victory for the year, iir, I made a "match winning" 49*

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby Tigers'73 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:51 am

In my Colts days,(early 70's) in Meningie our jumper design was all Maroon with a Gold V.

Cheers
Sex or the Footy Honey? thought so see you after the game.
Tigers'73
Mini-League

Postby Barbara » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:46 am

BM wrote:Interesting someone mentioned Lucindale. One of my clubs and SAAFL better players (club capt) was lured to Lucindale for outrageous money. Huge sign on fee and over 500 a game. Also in the team Phil Smith and Nigel Fiegert so I cant imagine how much coin they are on. From my point of view a lot of good players are now turning their backs on SAAFL clubs as they cant come close to matching what some country clubs are paying. Does Lucindale operate under a salry cap?

Apparently they spent over $100k on players. Smith was on approx. $900/ game and Fiegert $1000-1500/ game.
Barbara
Rookie

Postby the observer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:58 pm

Can anybody give me the run down on a footballer from Imperials Micheal Sumner
the observer
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Ian » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:31 pm

the observer wrote: Can anybody give me the run down on a footballer from Imperials Micheal Sumner

Would he be related to Stevie?
I played footy against Stevie when he was at Meningie, and played in the U18's assosiation basketball team with him at the country carnival.
Tigers'73 wrote:In my Colts days,(early 70's) in Meningie our jumper design was all Maroon with a Gold V.

Cheers

Same in the late 70's, early 80's
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby GWW » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:45 pm

the observer wrote:Can anybody give me the run down on a footballer from Imperials Micheal Sumner

Slight wingman, good skills and pace, played for Imps for 5/6 years now. Has tried out with Sturt (about 3/4 years ago) and West Adelaide (last year), played a few reserves games, hasnt cracked it for a senior game though.
GWW

Postby GWW » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:55 pm

Further to above.....he had a serious injury last year, broken leg i think.
GWW

Postby boundaryrider » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:44 pm

does anyone know what happend to beetle how played for borders
boundaryrider

Postby Coorong » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:25 pm

Any news on the Meningie Bears?
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby GWW » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:11 pm

River Murray Football League kicks off this week. Draw for Round 1:

Tailem Bend v Mypolonga

Meningie v Mannum

Imperials v Ramblers

Reigning premiers Jervois have the bye.

Should be an interesting season. Jervois will be strong favourites to win their 3rd successive flag this year. Theyve lost a few players but these should be offset with some impressive recruits. Imperials, after playing 8 Grand finals in a row prior to last year (when they finished 4) will be bolstered by some good recruits and no real losses - the Double Blues will be looking at making the Grand final again this year (Imps will be second favourites) Fellow Murray Bridge team Ramblers should improve, especially with the key signing of Mannum star Daniel Zadow. Meningie should have a competitive year, will be a strong chance of at least finishing 4th or 5. Tailem Bend will slip back after losing many quality players, they'll be battling for a lower finals spot as well. Similarly Mannum have lost quite a few quality players, so under coach Lee Adams (ex Centrals) will be looking at rebuilding. 2005 cellar dwellar Mypolonga under new coach Peter Milsom, will be looking at making their way up the ladder.

Ladder prediction Jervois
Imperials
Ramblers
Meningie
Tailem Bend
Mypolonga
Mannum
GWW

Postby GWW » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:12 pm

River Murray Football League kicks off this week. Draw for Round 1:

Tailem Bend v Mypolonga

Meningie v Mannum

Imperials v Ramblers

Reigning premiers Jervois have the bye.

Should be an interesting season. Jervois will be strong favourites to win their 3rd successive flag this year. Theyve lost a few players but these should be offset with some impressive recruits. Imperials, after playing 8 Grand finals in a row prior to last year (when they finished 4) will be bolstered by some good recruits and no real losses - the Double Blues will be looking at making the Grand final again this year (Imps will be second favourites) Fellow Murray Bridge team Ramblers should improve, especially with the key signing of Mannum star Daniel Zadow. Meningie should have a competitive year, will be a strong chance of at least finishing 4th or 5. Tailem Bend will slip back after losing many quality players, they'll be battling for a lower finals spot as well. Similarly Mannum have lost quite a few quality players, so under coach Lee Adams (ex Centrals) will be looking at rebuilding. 2005 cellar dwellar Mypolonga under new coach Peter Milsom, will be looking at making their way up the ladder.

Ladder prediction Jervois
Imperials
Ramblers
Meningie
Tailem Bend
Mypolonga
Mannum
GWW

Postby GWW » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:16 pm

Oops sorry for the double posting.