HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby youngpace » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:16 am

lovethefooty wrote:I can understand what you are saying chopper, but ask the Echunga coach if he would agree if jesse aish played in that game and did his knee, or ask the torrens valley coach if he agrees if chad o'sullivan plays and does his knee.

the reality is that the clubs put their own motivations first, and who can argue with that. the only way to make the clubs and players more motivated to play is to put more on the end of it.

and I am not sure how you do that. the afl had trouble doing this and there was a state of origin game, and a big v jumper on the end of it.

Think it is more the players who have failed to get involved, then clubs telling them they dont want them to. It is about incentive. Money shouldnt be involved as interleague is a last chance at pure for the love footy! Im with guys saying let anyone try out for the team. There needs to be a state wide structure. This will result in bragging rights getting the best players interested again. Look at the way those bloody vics approach it.
youngpace
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby chopper7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:08 am

youngpace wrote:
lovethefooty wrote:I can understand what you are saying chopper, but ask the Echunga coach if he would agree if jesse aish played in that game and did his knee, or ask the torrens valley coach if he agrees if chad o'sullivan plays and does his knee.

the reality is that the clubs put their own motivations first, and who can argue with that. the only way to make the clubs and players more motivated to play is to put more on the end of it.

and I am not sure how you do that. the afl had trouble doing this and there was a state of origin game, and a big v jumper on the end of it.

Think it is more the players who have failed to get involved, then clubs telling them they dont want them to. It is about incentive. Money shouldnt be involved as interleague is a last chance at pure for the love footy! Im with guys saying let anyone try out for the team. There needs to be a state wide structure. This will result in bragging rights getting the best players interested again. Look at the way those bloody vics approach it.

Mostly it is the players but I know there was a couple of clubs who specifically said they weren't going to support it.
I like the way you think YP, the way the Vic Country do their interleague is very very good and I think SA Country need to try and use the same system. That means something on the end of the games and also suspensions for those not attending. Maybe not playing on the long weekend could be another option as it takes away the whole going away excuse.
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Rubber Chest » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:00 am

youngpace wrote:
Was in the budget last week, there was about 40 names written down. No support from TV, Echunga or Hahndorf. With one player even asking if he would get paid.
I think after the success of last years game at Murray Bridge that there definitely is a place for interleague football. My bet is now the league will put it suspensions for those not making themselves available because of this years efforts from some players.[/quote]

Perhaps a state wide league ranking may spark interest. With results determining who each league plays the following year. I believe it is both lack of interest and want of a week off that leaves us in this situation. Bragging rights might engage players interest. With the ultimate goal being taking on the Div 1 Amateur side.[/quote]

Extremely Disappointing as we have some great players running around in the league at the moment. Surely the team listed below (and I'm sure I've missed a few) would be competitive in any interleague game. Would be great to watch as well.

F - Motlop Boras Hitchcock
HF - P Lindsay Hourigan Aish
C - Miles T Hughes C Guy
HB Bricknell Neilsen L Ivens
FB - P Richards Purling K Thompson

Ruck - Down, O'sullivan, Jennings
Int - S Hammond, Hankin, Cranna, S Paul, De Visser, Giadresco, T Jenkin

Maybe next year!
Rubber Chest
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby The Old Foss » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:46 pm

I think (IMHO) that realistically, footballers play to win flags. Having a bye mid year is a great chance for them to rest up leading into the second half of the year - and finals.
Whilst i understand that many years ago - prior to player payments - rep games were important , i believe that this day in age - where money is paid to those whom deserve it - playing in games which are not finanically rewarding are not interesting to them.
Why play in a game which they wont be paid, if there is a possibility that they might get injured and miss out on playing footy which to some, is their main income.
I agree that attitudes have changed over time, but we cant demand there be penalties on players or clubs if they choose not to take part. After all, this is Hills football here - not the AFL.
The Old Foss
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Tanka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:54 pm

On a different note - I have just looked at the scheduling and dates for finals again and cant believe there is a 3 week layoff for the team that win the Second Semi and goes straight into a GF!! Surely you could swap the 1st and 2nd Semis around to alter this and reduce the layoff. I know the winner of the first Semi then gets a week off before the Prelim and the loser of the second semi doesn't but it is a long time to wait to play the most important game of the year!!

Another option would be to just give all finals sides the bye in the first week and then play as usual from there on!!
Tanka
Under 16s

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:03 pm

Tanka wrote:On a different note - I have just looked at the scheduling and dates for finals again and cant believe there is a 3 week layoff for the team that win the Second Semi and goes straight into a GF!! Surely you could swap the 1st and 2nd Semis around to alter this and reduce the layoff. I know the winner of the first Semi then gets a week off before the Prelim and the loser of the second semi doesn't but it is a long time to wait to play the most important game of the year!!

Another option would be to just give all finals sides the bye in the first week and then play as usual from there on!!

Agree that this is such a stuff up and could have easily been avoided (and maybe still can).

All the HFL needed to do was to make one of the rounds in the second half of the year a split round over two weekends, then there wouldn't have to be a lag week in the finals.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Legs Man » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:52 am

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
Tanka wrote:On a different note - I have just looked at the scheduling and dates for finals again and cant believe there is a 3 week layoff for the team that win the Second Semi and goes straight into a GF!! Surely you could swap the 1st and 2nd Semis around to alter this and reduce the layoff. I know the winner of the first Semi then gets a week off before the Prelim and the loser of the second semi doesn't but it is a long time to wait to play the most important game of the year!!

Agree that this is such a stuff up and could have easily been avoided (and maybe still can).

All the HFL needed to do was to make one of the rounds in the second half of the year a split round over two weekends, then there wouldn't have to be a lag week in the finals.

Fully agree - the 3 week break for the 2nd semi winner mid finals is a total stuff up.
Surely the season proper could have been manipulated to ensure this didn't occur - as all it would take is forward thinking with a split round, first week bye for all finals sides, or swapping the semis around.
Certainly enough options available to ensure this didn't happen.
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:38 am

What is going on at the HFL, drama at every turn the last couple of years, its reputation outside the league is getting dismantled every day.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby lovethefooty » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:04 pm

after checking out the program for the finals I am left wondering why??
what possible reason could they have for setting up the finals in that way.
can someone enlighten me?
lovethefooty
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:What is going on at the HFL, drama at every turn the last couple of years, its reputation outside the league is getting dismantled every day.

I cannot remember a league forfeiting an association game before.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cracka » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Legs Man wrote:Won't the clubs vote on what happens and whether they want Assoc./inter league matches?
A vote on any suspensions or penalties that may apply would also be voted on by the clubs.
I was under the impression all decisions pertaining to the league, the clubs and their players were made by the clubs - and the HFL simply administered this.

Have just read the courier & it looks like that is correct. The clubs DECIDED to vote in the by laws where it states that the league will ADMINISTER any suspensions they deem fit. :D
Regardless very embarrassing for the HFL. I think it should be the clubs (and their players) who voted to support this interleague game but then backflipped should be the ones people are pissed off with.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:08 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Dutchy wrote:What is going on at the HFL, drama at every turn the last couple of years, its reputation outside the league is getting dismantled every day.

Think it's called withdrawing not forfeiting.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:28 pm

lovethefooty wrote:after checking out the program for the finals I am left wondering why??
what possible reason could they have for setting up the finals in that way.
can someone enlighten me?

The main problem is that traditionally Div 2 starts one week before Div 1 (thereby ensuring that the two grand finals are on different weekends), however Easter was early this year and both divisions couldn't start their seasons until after Easter (on the same date). This left the HFL with a problem of having to delay the Div 1 comp by 1 week at some point during the year. Why they just didn't decide to have a split round is beyond me. It would have solved the problem with little or no fuss.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:56 pm

cracka wrote:

That's even more embarrassing.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby cracka » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:54 pm

cracka wrote:

That's even more embarrassing.

For the clubs that did embrace the concept, yeah I agree. Very disappointing from the clubs that didn't support it.
cracka
Veteran

Postby oldbomber » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Yep. As an outsider this league has well and truly become an absolute joke from an administrative point of view lucky somehow the footy is still at a decent standard judging by the odd game i have seen over last few years... this board cant sort out promotion and relegation system losing big $ in court, cant round up an interleague team leaving rmfl high and dry at short notice and now they cant even schedule their own finals fixture properly! What do these absolute dead beats on the board have to do to get sacked?? Clearly these peanuts have no idea how to run a league(no other solid country league in s.a has half these major issues) and are doing and have done for years now some serious damage to any reputation it has left...its time for change NOW on the board before these incompetent dead s#*ts destroy this great league any further....in my opinion
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby chopper7 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:43 pm

oldbomber wrote:

Yep. As an outsider this league has well and truly become an absolute joke from an administrative point of view lucky somehow the footy is still at a decent standard judging by the odd game i have seen over last few years... this board cant sort out promotion and relegation system losing big $ in court, cant round up an interleague team leaving rmfl high and dry at short notice and now they cant even schedule their own finals fixture properly! What do these absolute dead beats on the board have to do to get sacked?? Clearly these peanuts have no idea how to run a league(no other solid country league in s.a has half these major issues) and are doing and have done for years now some serious damage to any reputation it has left...its time for change NOW on the board before these incompetent dead s#*ts destroy this great league any further....in my opinion

Pack your bags and move along you absolute dead beat! Yes the finals could have been organised better but get on and deal with it. The two other points you make cal completely back onto the clubs. If you had any understanding of this league then you would know the CLUBS voted in the by-laws regarding promotion and relagation, it was because one club decided to think they were bigger than the other 9 clubs in the league and take up the decision in court. How would you feel being on the board as a volunteer and being taken to the Supreme Court over a matter that 12 months ago was agreed on by everyone, with a budget that would never match the club taking the leagues budget and to be continuously bashed around by media that you can't do your job? The interleague situation was once again lack of support from the clubs in the league, nothing to do with the board. The clubs once again voted on the interleague game going ahead and said they would give their support only for all clubs besides Mt Barker, Lobethal, Uraidla, Mt Lofty and Onkas not holding up to their word and not supporting the whole thing. What would you do? Play with 9 blokes? Then it is blokes like you who also continue to bash the HFLs name without knowing all the facts and politics that are going on.
It is a volunteers role, so you think you can do it better whilst trying to work a 38hr week then by all means you spud go right ahead!!

On another note, should be a cracker day tomorrow at loby for the Divvy 2 boys playing the Mallee.
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby oldbomber » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:32 pm

chopper7 wrote:
oldbomber wrote:

Pack your bags and move along you absolute dead beat! Yes the finals could have been organised better but get on and deal with it. The two other points you make cal completely back onto the clubs. If you had any understanding of this league then you would know the CLUBS voted in the by-laws regarding promotion and relagation, it was because one club decided to think they were bigger than the other 9 clubs in the league and take up the decision in court. How would you feel being on the board as a volunteer and being taken to the Supreme Court over a matter that 12 months ago was agreed on by everyone, with a budget that would never match the club taking the leagues budget and to be continuously bashed around by media that you can't do your job? The interleague situation was once again lack of support from the clubs in the league, nothing to do with the board. The clubs once again voted on the interleague game going ahead and said they would give their support only for all clubs besides Mt Barker, Lobethal, Uraidla, Mt Lofty and Onkas not holding up to their word and not supporting the whole thing. What would you do? Play with 9 blokes? Then it is blokes like you who also continue to bash the HFLs name without knowing all the facts and politics that are going on.
It is a volunteers role, so you think you can do it better whilst trying to work a 38hr week then by all means you spud go right ahead!!

On another note, should be a cracker day tomorrow at loby for the Divvy 2 boys playing the Mallee.

In victoria leagues have previously threatened to and followed through with suspensions for players over not making themselves available for interleague. Harsh maybe but shows they as commissioners and people incharge of running the show atleast stick to their guns unlike these spineless chooks running the HFL. Sure they are volunteers who do this outside 38 hours a week but I for one hope they dont give up their day jobs as with any more time on their hands would only lead to them screwing this league even further...
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby cracka » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:47 am

chopper7 wrote:
oldbomber wrote:

Totally agree chopper. Don't see how it's the boards fault that some clubs & players didn't support the interleague game.
cracka
Veteran

Postby cracka » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:13 pm

oldbomber wrote:In victoria leagues have previously threatened to and followed through with suspensions for players over not making themselves available for interleague. Harsh maybe but shows they as commissioners and people incharge of running the show atleast stick to their guns unlike these spineless chooks running the HFL. Sure they are volunteers who do this outside 38 hours a week but I for one hope they dont give up their day jobs as with any more time on their hands would only lead to them screwing this league even further...

So you would support the HFL board for handing out fines and/or suspensions to clubs & players.
cracka
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy