HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby spiderk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:52 pm

Are there any Hills Footy League (preferably Country Division, but any Central Division fans feel free to jump on!) fans out there to swap any interesting gossip? ORD, Stan888, I know you two are keen HFL followers, who else is out there?

Has anyone else heard anything else about the possibility of an 11 team comp in 2006...despite the fact 12 teams are CURRENTLY nominated??
spiderk

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby GWW » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:01 pm

I dont follow Hills footy closely but like to see whats happening, as i do with a lot of other country leagues. Was interested to read that Brad Smith has changed clubs, that surely would be a huge bonus for his new club.

Has there been any other major signings in this league in the off season? Will be interesting to see whether CUE their improvement from last year, or whether or not maybe they lose some of last season's recruits and go backwards....
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:05 pm

Kangarilla heading in to the hills league. I soke to a few boys that i know from a while back and they are interested in any info about this team. We all know that they were a mid range team in the SFL but have struggled to match the bigger teams when the divisions merged. so id be interested hear if they have keep the majority of there squad. if so i'd say that they would be very competitive. Probably be up there with Torrens Valley.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby spiderk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:12 pm

Will probably get hung for saying this, based on some happenings last year, but would expect CUE to go backwards from their improvement last year. Will depend on whether they actually stay in HFL...

From what I'm hearing, much of Kangarilla's squad is staying, plus some potential good signings. Would expect Top 4 for them at this stage. Great pick-up for Echunga, with Greg Mullins signing as playing coach. I played with him for a while, and professionalism is second to none and already having an impact out there. Will be interesting to see if Torrens Valley retain their full squad. The big watch in Country Div? Watch Macclesfield very, very closely. Craig Lallard is having a great impact out there and with a couple of good signings in the wings, will be the big improvers.
spiderk

Postby GWW » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:15 pm

spiderk wrote:Will probably get hung for saying this, based on some happenings last year, but would expect CUE to go backwards from their improvement last year. Will depend on whether they actually stay in HFL...

From what I'm hearing, much of Kangarilla's squad is staying, plus some potential good signings. Would expect Top 4 for them at this stage. Great pick-up for Echunga, with Greg Mullins signing as playing coach. I played with him for a while, and professionalism is second to none and already having an impact out there. Will be interesting to see if Torrens Valley retain their full squad. The big watch in Country Div? Watch Macclesfield very, very closely. Craig Lallard is having a great impact out there and with a couple of good signings in the wings, will be the big improvers.

Hey Spiderk, has CUE been approached to join the RMFL to even up the amount of teams in that league?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:15 pm

spiderk wrote:Will probably get hung for saying this, based on some happenings last year, but would expect CUE to go backwards from their improvement last year. Will depend on whether they actually stay in HFL...

Hmmm i would if kangarllia can keep there squad plus some more recuits would probably allow them to finish top 2.

By all accounts spidd, Torrens Valley will be keeping all there players.
stan
Coach

Postby spiderk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:18 pm

GWW - it depends on who you speak to on this one. I've been told on good authority that discussions have been had about this - some club figures deny this, but only in varying degrees. I believe discussions have been had at a few levels. Time will tell.

Stan - you don't think at least one will head back to Birdwood from last year's GF team?
spiderk

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:32 pm

Interesting about the Eagles there Spider but I would have thought that in the current setup they would struggle in the RMFL. I'm thinking they might consider this option along the lines of "club stability" if you know what I mean. Those types sometimes can't be relied upon in that league either, so I wouldn't be counting on a more stable environment as a guarantee.
The first thing I thought was 'Milang' must be folding but I see today they have given a commitment to fielding two sides, so I guess they'll be OK in the short term at least. Would be a great club to go to if you were at a club that had a glut of players and you were struggling to get a regular game as it is a good little club with one of the best ovals you will find anywhere.
Looks like Macclesfield are picking up some more players to go along with what they have already recruited (all staying on apparently). Lallard must be held in a high regard by some of these blokes as they would be able to get money at other clubs but as far as I am aware they went to Maccy basically because he was running the show. Predict that they will only have enough firepower to finish 4th at best. The future in regards to juniors is what concerns me at Maccy.
Torrens Valley to be one of the front runners again no doubt and good luck to them but whenever Hughes leaves, they will be back in the cellar.
Blackwood have always been tough since they decided to play their "reserves" (2nd) side in Country A grade rather than their 3rd side, which is fair enough and is better for the comp.
Got to like Birdwood again to be up there and admire them as a club for building through the juniors after a number of lean years following their purple patch in the early '90's.
Kangarilla will no doubt make their presence felt immediately and are likely to finish top 3 but I think it will be a bit more of a challenge for them than some are giving credit for.
The appointment of Mullins will be a good one for Echunga and if you were going to choose someone for the "lead by example" category, it would be him. Someone who I always had the utmost respect for as an opponent but I still see them finishing just outside the five, which won't be easy to bear for this club.
Kersbrook are a proud club that always gives a tough contest and won't surprise to see them sneak into the five.
Gumeracha will likely have a hard time of it again this year.
I predict Meadows to make a bit of a charge in the positive direction after a lean year by their standards last year. Hear Dawe could well be on his way back to the club, which will mean Maidment will be back too. One player doesn't make a team but in Country division football, Dawe will make a big difference.
Nairne Bremer will no doubt put a decent team on the paddock again this year but if I had to make a bold prediction, I see them just missing out on the five.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby stan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:26 am

spiderk wrote:Stan - you don't think at least one will head back to Birdwood from last year's GF team?

Its posible a few might head back as the previous birdwood coach is gone. So it is possible that some might head back. But last I heard "business is good" for Torrens Valley at the moment.
stan
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:54 pm

Have heard that there might be a few depatures from Kangarilla of guys that dont want to leave the SFL. Torrens Valley will also have the services of regular player that was overseas last season
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:05 pm

Wouldn't be one of the Eichler brothers would it Dutchy?
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:44 pm

your on the money ORD
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:47 pm

No worries Dutchy. Can't say I had any inside info but they are the first two that I thought of as far as Torrens Valley stalwarts go.
Will be interesting with Mike Duncan coaching Nairne, as I think he was the coach at Marion when current Macclesfield coach/player Craig Lallard was playing there, as I think there have already been a number of prospective recruits from down that way that have been spoken to by both.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby Jman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:40 am

What div do the Onka Valley bulldogs play are they central or country.
Melrose Park that aint South I'm talking about the real South.
Jman

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:24 pm

They are Central division Jman, which was the former division 1
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Postby PPLions » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:18 pm

As a former Pleasant Valley and Torrens Valley player, it was great to see the Lions have some success last year.
Craig Eichler's return from his cricketing adventure in England will strngthen the side, and I wouldn't imagine too many would depart.
I agree though that when Hughes leaves, there is likely to be a significant exodus.
I also agree that Mullins is a great pick up for the Demons. Perhaps not the most skilled player in the League, but very few out work him. He will ead by example and should inspire all at Echunga.
PPLions
Under 18s

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Postby Jman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:19 am

ORDoubleBlues wrote:They are Central division Jman, which was the former division 1

Thanks, appreciate it.
Melrose Park that aint South I'm talking about the real South.
Jman

Postby spiderk » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:56 pm

It will be interesting to see how the top 5 shapes now, as Eichler will be a big "in" for the Lions and adds another dimension through the middle or across half forward.
Greg Mullins is a great acquisition for Echunga. I played with him for a while, and there are fewer fitter, more professional players in either division of HFL. If the players can make the most of the fitness work, they will be a big threat to the Top 5 this year.
Some uncertainty as to what is happening with Callington for 2006 - this situation will be watched closely for the next few weeks. Hopefully they can come out of their difficulties, as they have one of the best ovals in the league and are gradually building excellent facilities with it. For an area that is growing as quickly, there is a real opportunity to build a powerful club, but having said that, they have been around since 1995 and still only made senior finals once. A massive crunch time.
Milang also need to make some real steps this year to avoid further problems. A change of administration, to an entirely local committee, will be a big step toward further increasing their presence in the town. As one of the other posters mentioned, for any player who thinks they aren't getting the chance they deserve at their current club, they could do a lot worse than heading out to Panther Park. Excellent facilities and oval.
spiderk

Postby PPLions » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:44 pm

I think you are right with Craig Eichs Spiderk
I probably see him in that half forward role, with maybe a few spurts on the wing or midfield
His exquisite skills would be well utilised in a forward role
And he loves kicking goals!
Having said that, it's quite hard to break into those spots with Carter, Peryman, Battams etc
As has been previously posted, Mullins is a first class country footballer
But do Echunga have the players fir him to take them very far?
I suspect not
PPLions
Under 18s

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Postby scottroo » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:58 pm

beware of macclesfield, there really starting to get things together up there, with a fit Aaron Julian(why this boy is playing hills div 2 is baffling) but shows his commitment to his club and town...theyll go close this year
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy