River Murray Football League talk

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: River Murray Football League talk

Postby oldbomber » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:19 am

grasshopper22 wrote:Todd Butler has a very good coaching record. Won how many flags in the last decade?

Not sure if he is or isnt...mallee league flags with a dominant playing list dont tell you how good a coach he really is...plus he walked into a solid encounter bay outfit this year who were well drilled from previous coach, so again im not sure how much credit he actually deserves.

What was he like at developing players and teams from lower ladder positions or never had the chance?
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby words of wisdom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:23 pm

oldbomber wrote:
grasshopper22 wrote:Todd Butler has a very good coaching record. Won how many flags in the last decade?

Not sure if he is or isnt...mallee league flags with a dominant playing list dont tell you how good a coach he really is...plus he walked into a solid encounter bay outfit this year who were well drilled from previous coach, so again im not sure how much credit he actually deserves.

What was he like at developing players and teams from lower ladder positions or never had the chance?

Todd can coach. If you ever get a chance to listen to him you'll be impressed. I don't think on paper Encounter Bay were as good this year as they were last year but he got them up.

How can you go past Barry Pilmore? 6 Flags in a row at Willunga - Southern Zone Coach - State Country Coach.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby oldbomber » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:40 pm

words of wisdom wrote:
oldbomber wrote:

Todd can coach. If you ever get a chance to listen to him you'll be impressed. I don't think on paper Encounter Bay were as good this year as they were last year but he got them up.

How can you go past Barry Pilmore? 6 Flags in a row at Willunga - Southern Zone Coach - State Country Coach.

You cant go past barry pilmore...that record speaks for itself. Think he coached 12 or 13 years for willunga im not sure they ever missed finals, won it from 5th place i heard. Pilmore has done it all, IMO unlikely to ever be surpassed at country footy for coaching success as it was mostly achieved in the strongest leagues and state/representative football.
oldbomber
Rookie

Postby The.big.dawg » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Kellock to coach mannum.
The.big.dawg
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Encounter Bay

Postby gun onballer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:47 pm

mypo-ive heard gogel from ramblers heading to tigerland,and the hooper brothers might have itchy feet sniffing around else were
gun onballer

Grassroots Team: Lameroo

Postby Monopoly Man » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:36 pm

gun onballer wrote:mypo-ive heard gogel from ramblers heading to tigerland,and the hooper brothers might have itchy feet sniffing around else were

Gogel shops himself around every year along with Matt Thompson. Jervois losing all their recruits from last year.
Monopoly Man
Rookie

Been liked: 6 times

Postby biffboy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Monopoly Man wrote:
gun onballer wrote:mypo-ive heard gogel from ramblers heading to tigerland,and the hooper brothers might have itchy feet sniffing around else were

Gogel shops himself around every year along with Matt Thompson. Jervois losing all their recruits from last year.

Sure know your stuff MM! Geez
biffboy
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Ramblers

Postby gun onballer » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:11 pm

also just heard mypo are to scared to tell billy the coach they don't want him to play(just coach)(they will never make tuff decisions ,and that's why they wont win flags)
I would of thought his two handballs a game over his head to the opposition would get you a game.billy your a shit player that hangs out and your an old hack .,,be a good coach and play a kid
gun onballer

Postby On The Chest » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:25 pm

oldbomber wrote:
words of wisdom wrote:
oldbomber wrote:

You cant go past barry pilmore...that record speaks for itself. Think he coached 12 or 13 years for willunga im not sure they ever missed finals, won it from 5th place i heard. Pilmore has done it all, IMO unlikely to ever be surpassed at country footy for coaching success as it was mostly achieved in the strongest leagues and state/representative football.

Peter Sims from South Gambier in the 1990's coached about 8 flags and was a State country coach. There are a few good one's out there with great records.
On The Chest
Under 16s

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby oldbomber » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:10 pm

gun onballer wrote:also just heard mypo are to scared to tell billy the coach they don't want him to play(just coach)(they will never make tuff decisions ,and that's why they wont win flags)
I would of thought his two handballs a game over his head to the opposition would get you a game.billy your a shit player that hangs out and your an old hack .,,be a good coach and play a kid

Haha got a good laugh out of this. Watched a bit of mypo during finals and i agree yeah he does the loopy handball out the back a bit but funnily enough he didnt turn it over all that much however teams will expect and look for this next year more. I still think he is in their best 21 for now somewhere just on hardness and on field leadership though, he is an experienced finals player who has a real desire to win and unfortuneatly not enough kids at mypo have that same level of experience and desire just yet.
oldbomber
Rookie

Postby Monopoly Man » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:22 pm

oldbomber wrote:
gun onballer wrote:also just heard mypo are to scared to tell billy the coach they don't want him to play(just coach)(they will never make tuff decisions ,and that's why they wont win flags)

Haha got a good laugh out of this. Watched a bit of mypo during finals and i agree yeah he does the loopy handball out the back a bit but funnily enough he didnt turn it over all that much however teams will expect and look for this next year more. I still think he is in their best 21 for now somewhere just on hardness and on field leadership though, he is an experienced finals player who has a real desire to win and unfortuneatly not enough kids at mypo have that same level of experience and desire just yet.

Best 21 if he was a 0 pointer but his 2 points and $30k a year to play and coach is laughable. better off getting a decent player for 3 points and pay him than that fo$$il.
Monopoly Man
Rookie

Postby Bustarhyme » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:20 am

Quite a lot of movement up that way in the coaching department. Mannum would have to be feeling like they've been robbed in Hall moving on. Can't blame him though and in reality he has given the Roos his best and you'd think the blokes he's worked closely with were taking notes. Be great if he gets back for a kick and a catch though coz from the few times I saw him play this year he was a standout with his ball use and on field leadership. Kellock will do a good job if has got the gig. He loves his footy and he has been involved in some quality footy clubs. Could certainly be worse places to step into your first crack at coaching that's for sure. If he has the respect of the players which I'm sure he does and his old man who by all accounts is very astute footy wise help him out in the box on game day the Roos will be a tough proposition. Collo back to imps is a big development. Imps actually performed really well this year under Stevey Summner so in reality Collo needs to get it done on GF day to call the re enstatement a success. Fenton taking the reins at Meninge will be an interesting storyline to watch unfold. He is a good player and obviously prepares well but getting the younger local boys to buy in will be the key. If he can expose some of the young talent they have running around in the colts to some senior footy and keep his trusty group of recruits happy the Bears aren't far off. Seems as if the Jervois boys have been doing some useful recruiting through targeting some recently finished up SANFL talent.If they can get a few over the line and their younger guys who have played a good chunk of senior footy now continue to develop the gap between the top 5 to the bottom 2 could shrink which would be great for the comp. Haven't heard a great deal about Tailem but this may prove to be a good thing and we'll see the Eagles competing for a top 5 spot too. Sounds like Ramblers are going to bounce back and be better prepared if the Pre Christmas pre season start date is anything to go by. One things for sure Fidgey will get them fit and running. As for Mypo and the Neely debate I would be very surprised if he doesn't suit up for a handful of games at least. He's a competitive guy and after a year with him the players will know what to expect. If he can get his body right and hold onto Will Abbott and keep the Hooper boys out of the medical room the Tigers will certainly be competitive.
Bustarhyme
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby footytrip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:19 am

Monopoly Man wrote:
oldbomber wrote:

Best 21 if he was a 0 pointer but his 2 points and $30k a year to play and coach is laughable. better off getting a decent player for 3 points and pay him than that fo$$il.

would be silly to write neely off, having been coached by him at several clubs I have seen the way he can turn a club around and develop a very good culture which can dominate on the field and off it. Having played under him his on field leadership is invaluable and just having him out there lifts everyone that extra 10% that can be needed, he wont let you slacken off as his physical presence is an asset he has. Club such as encounter bay who won a premiership again this year are still reaping the rewards of him spending 3 years at the helm and will continue to do so for many years. His only downfall that I can see is that he is an absolute footy nut and lives and breaths it, some country players dont like this but as above the clubs I have played at with him if you get 75% of guys on the same level your club will reap the rewards
footytrip
Mini-League

Postby Monopoly Man » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:49 am

footytrip wrote:
Monopoly Man wrote:
oldbomber wrote:

would be silly to write neely off, having been coached by him at several clubs I have seen the way he can turn a club around and develop a very good culture which can dominate on the field and off it. Having played under him his on field leadership is invaluable and just having him out there lifts everyone that extra 10% that can be needed, he wont let you slacken off as his physical presence is an asset he has. Club such as encounter bay who won a premiership again this year are still reaping the rewards of him spending 3 years at the helm and will continue to do so for many years. His only downfall that I can see is that he is an absolute footy nut and lives and breaths it, some country players dont like this but as above the clubs I have played at with him if you get 75% of guys on the same level your club will reap the rewards

Not writing Billy off as a coach (though I haven't heard great things from Mypo faithful) but as a player his days are cooked. He can't keep up on the bigger ovals in the RMFL. He would be fine on the slow, wet and muddy tracks of Myponga/Sellicks, Compass, Goolwa etc but on the big, dry decks the game is just to quick for him. Its a massive waste of points and $.
Monopoly Man
Rookie

Postby The.big.dawg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Hard to keep the hooper boys and will Abbott out of the trainers room when there all leaving mypo
The.big.dawg
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Encounter Bay

Postby gun onballer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:33 am

brock grifford to coach imps b grade
gun onballer

Postby oldman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:25 pm

gun onballer wrote:brock grifford to coach imps b grade

Who is Brock Grifford?
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby gun onballer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:53 am

x tailem bend coach
gun onballer

Postby anzacspirit » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Quinn and Wakefield back to Mannum, boughen out
anzacspirit
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Mannum

Postby Bandit » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:54 am

jeez these blokes swap back and forth from Karoonda & Mannum more often than I change my jocks
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy