River Murray Football League talk

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: River Murray Football League talk

Postby chopper7 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:49 am

From The Outer wrote:I understand past West Adelaide key forward has narrowed down his club of choice to Imps or Strath. If Imps wins his signature he will be first player to earn more than 1k a game at the club. It seems that's what it takes to keep up with the gold mine down by the lake.

Don't think it is set in stone yet FTO, would he be worth 1k a game though?
chopper7
Under 16s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby The Dictator » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:44 pm

chopper7 wrote:
From The Outer wrote:I understand past West Adelaide key forward has narrowed down his club of choice to Imps or Strath. If Imps wins his signature he will be first player to earn more than 1k a game at the club. It seems that's what it takes to keep up with the gold mine down by the lake.

So who's the player we are talking about here?
The Dictator
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby stomper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 am

Was told Jervois have picked up 2 x North Adelaide players. One of them played at Gepps Cross last year.
stomper
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Johnny Bowla » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 am

The Dictator wrote:
chopper7 wrote:

So who's the player we are talking about here?

Brad Fisher- I believe has signed with Strath -if that is who you are referring to.
Johnny Bowla
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby barrys antz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:41 pm

stomper wrote:Was told Jervois have picked up 2 x North Adelaide players. One of them played at Gepps Cross last year.

Would that be Zac Makins and Matt Schmidt couple young lads played ressies at north few years back
barrys antz
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby EB53 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:05 pm

The Jervois football club pays ridiculous amounts
!
Last edited by EB53 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EB53
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times

Postby EB53 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Monopoly Man wrote:

Over 1k is ridiculous for 45mins travel from the tollgate! though what other choice do you have as you say. i heard meningie spent over 200k this year so we'd need to keep spending!

Yes then the president of the RMFL squawks in the Advertiser about out of control player payments.
Guess which club he is aligned to? Meningie!
EB53
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times

Postby Secondsquare » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Yes I do believe that when the person complaining in the newpapers was president of Meningie , they were already spending more than anyone in the rmfl or the kntfl so he was part of the drive in increasing player payments, and they needed to spend more money because they are the furthest out and don't have the population that the two bridge teams have,so I'm not criticising for that but don't turn around and complain about how much players are getting paid! Players are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay them, so if someone is willing to pay a 1000 a game for joe blows well that is what he is worth! I'm also sick of clubs that are able to recruit but as long as the president or Vice President or secretary's son gets a game, if you have points and money use it for the benefit of the club not individuals, don't play a role at a club to benefit your son , but to benefit the club and community! This crap with the salary cap next year is rubbish and being brought in because the big clubs in the city with two or three teams in every grade lose a few players! So the small towns with little communities that have some club people willing to put in financially to keep there club surviving will now have no hope of competing with the big towns and will make competitions lop sided and teams will fold! Ricciuto was a gun footballer but has been far removed from country footy and his comments on radio ur I'll informed and biased in my opinion, as he spends his time in the city listening to city club people, I'm sure he has friends in the country aswell ,on top of that it will be hard to police!! Please threatening jail time for football payments!!! Steven trigg didn't go to jail and that was in the big money league!!! Better be careful as they will be watching forums like this to gather info!!! You people are a joke!!!!!!!!
Secondsquare

Been liked: 4 times

Postby biffboy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Secondsquare wrote:Yes I do believe that when the person complaining in the newpapers was president of Meningie , they were already spending more than anyone in the rmfl or the kntfl so he was part of the drive in increasing player payments, and they needed to spend more money because they are the furthest out and don't have the population that the two bridge teams have,so I'm not criticising for that but don't turn around and complain about how much players are getting paid! Players are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay them, so if someone is willing to pay a 1000 a game for joe blows well that is what he is worth! I'm also sick of clubs that are able to recruit but as long as the president or Vice President or secretary's son gets a game, if you have points and money use it for the benefit of the club not individuals, don't play a role at a club to benefit your son , but to benefit the club and community! This crap with the salary cap next year is rubbish and being brought in because the big clubs in the city with two or three teams in every grade lose a few players! So the small towns with little communities that have some club people willing to put in financially to keep there club surviving will now have no hope of competing with the big towns and will make competitions lop sided and teams will fold! Ricciuto was a gun footballer but has been far removed from country footy and his comments on radio ur I'll informed and biased in my opinion, as he spends his time in the city listening to city club people, I'm sure he has friends in the country aswell ,on top of that it will be hard to police!! Please threatening jail time for football payments!!! Steven trigg didn't go to jail and that was in the big money league!!! Better be careful as they will be watching forums like this to gather info!!! You people are a joke!!!!!!!!

Threatening jail time? Hadn't heard that one yet. That would never happen as how could anyone police under the table payments, let alone prove it in court.

I don't think this cap on player payments will see clubs fold any quicker than when clubs simply cant afford to keep up, to be honest its more likely to see them survive. Some clubs simply dont have access to cash like others do and that is going to make them fold quicker trying to keep up. I couldn't even imagine what say Tailem would have to spend to keep up with the Bears next year as they are coming from so far back.

Honestly, there is probably never going to be a way to even up a competition. Teams just have to use their spending sprees at the right time when other teams aren't as strong and this will be hard to predict. Nothing will beat good players loyalty to their own clubs and that's something that doesn't seem to exist in this current climate
biffboy
Under 16s

Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Ramblers

Postby Secondsquare » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Yes biffboy last week in the advertiser full page article with the headline could do jail time , I took a photo of it it was that hillarious, biffboy you say what tailem will have to spend to keep up with Meningie, well meningie are only spending that much to keep up with the two Murray bridge teams who have plentiful player stock to choose from , do you get that!! So I dont expect a rambler supporter who needs less recruits to be competitive to agree, as it would benefit your club with salary restrictions, tailem shouldn't have to spend as much as Meningie as they are an hour closer to the toll gate! Two if you go both ways, so they should be able to get players a bit cheaper, but you have to choose the right recruits, as Meningie have been spending money for years but now they have got the right mix, clubs with small populations need to pay money to get good players to compete with the big clubs , or should they just except that the bridge teams are gonna win every year and just except it, in England third division soccer players get hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and people just except it, obviously soccer is a world wide sport so that contributes, just so I dont miss anyone in my rant as far as sanfl is concerned they have been under paying players for the last decade, instead of complaining about the money in the country how about raising the sanfl payments, they are a joke !!! They expect players to commit six nights a week And compete against crows and power listed players who are full time professionals then pay some players like three hundred before tax and then if they get dropped to the reserves get like 80 bucks, if your husband or son can get a thousand a game and commit one or two nights a week compared to six , what would you advise them to do, if you are to old to get drafted why the hell would you do it, if the sanfl doesn't want to be the premier comp in the state keep paying what your paying and the kntfl can take over, don't try and bring another Competitio down because your not stepping up to the plate, why do people have a problem with players who risk there bodies and livelihoods to play one of the most dangerous games in the world from making some good money. if your lucky u might get ten years of some extra coin, don't hate the players hate the game!!!! As far as who wins the flag next year I hope whoever is the most proactive in recruiting and improving there performance wins!!
Secondsquare

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Secondsquare wrote:Yes biffboy last week in the advertiser full page article with the headline could do jail time , I took a photo of it it was that hillarious, biffboy you say what tailem will have to spend to keep up with Meningie, well meningie are only spending that much to keep up with the two Murray bridge teams who have plentiful player stock to choose from , do you get that!! So I dont expect a rambler supporter who needs less recruits to be competitive to agree, as it would benefit your club with salary restrictions, tailem shouldn't have to spend as much as Meningie as they are an hour closer to the toll gate! Two if you go both ways, so they should be able to get players a bit cheaper, but you have to choose the right recruits, as Meningie have been spending money for years but now they have got the right mix, clubs with small populations need to pay money to get good players to compete with the big clubs , or should they just except that the bridge teams are gonna win every year and just except it, in England third division soccer players get hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and people just except it, obviously soccer is a world wide sport so that contributes, just so I dont miss anyone in my rant as far as sanfl is concerned they have been under paying players for the last decade, instead of complaining about the money in the country how about raising the sanfl payments, they are a joke !!! They expect players to commit six nights a week And compete against crows and power listed players who are full time professionals then pay some players like three hundred before tax and then if they get dropped to the reserves get like 80 bucks, if your husband or son can get a thousand a game and commit one or two nights a week compared to six , what would you advise them to do, if you are to old to get drafted why the hell would you do it, if the sanfl doesn't want to be the premier comp in the state keep paying what your paying and the kntfl can take over, don't try and bring another Competitio down because your not stepping up to the plate, why do people have a problem with players who risk there bodies and livelihoods to play one of the most dangerous games in the world from making some good money. if your lucky u might get ten years of some extra coin, don't hate the players hate the game!!!! As far as who wins the flag next year I hope whoever is the most proactive in recruiting and improving there performance wins!!

Well said the SANFL clubs and by extension the AFL are the problem here not the country clubs. Look after their players better and they wouldnt leave
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby grasshopper22 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:06 pm

Secondsquare wrote:Yes biffboy last week in the advertiser full page article with the headline could do jail time , I took a photo of it it was that hillarious, biffboy you say what tailem will have to spend to keep up with Meningie, well meningie are only spending that much to keep up with the two Murray bridge teams who have plentiful player stock to choose from , do you get that!! So I dont expect a rambler supporter who needs less recruits to be competitive to agree, as it would benefit your club with salary restrictions, tailem shouldn't have to spend as much as Meningie as they are an hour closer to the toll gate! Two if you go both ways, so they should be able to get players a bit cheaper, but you have to choose the right recruits, as Meningie have been spending money for years but now they have got the right mix, clubs with small populations need to pay money to get good players to compete with the big clubs , or should they just except that the bridge teams are gonna win every year and just except it, in England third division soccer players get hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and people just except it, obviously soccer is a world wide sport so that contributes, just so I dont miss anyone in my rant as far as sanfl is concerned they have been under paying players for the last decade, instead of complaining about the money in the country how about raising the sanfl payments, they are a joke !!! They expect players to commit six nights a week And compete against crows and power listed players who are full time professionals then pay some players like three hundred before tax and then if they get dropped to the reserves get like 80 bucks, if your husband or son can get a thousand a game and commit one or two nights a week compared to six , what would you advise them to do, if you are to old to get drafted why the hell would you do it, if the sanfl doesn't want to be the premier comp in the state keep paying what your paying and the kntfl can take over, don't try and bring another Competitio down because your not stepping up to the plate, why do people have a problem with players who risk there bodies and livelihoods to play one of the most dangerous games in the world from making some good money. if your lucky u might get ten years of some extra coin, don't hate the players hate the game!!!! As far as who wins the flag next year I hope whoever is the most proactive in recruiting and improving there performance wins!!

Spot on. Very well put agree with all of this.
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby biffboy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Hey, I don't disagree with what you are saying regarding sanfl wages and I totally understand the Ramblers and Imps have better access to players but to put it simply there are just some clubs that cant afford to spend $200k for a flag. Surely this is part of the reason they are trying to put a cap on player payments, not to benefit teams with a larger home town to get players from

Ok, I haven't read the article so I am not exactly sure what is said but player payments are ridiculous in some situations. We have lost B-graders for hundreds of dollars a game to the Mallee like imps and Mannum have & I just cant see how they are worth it. 5 years ago $400 a game got you an absolute gem, now your lucky to find a mediocre player for that price.

And for what its worth, last time I drove from Tailem to Meninge it was about half an hour so you may want to check the speedo on your car
biffboy
Under 16s

Postby Secondsquare » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Once again biffboy if someone in the mallee is willing to pay that money for them that is what at the end of the day they are worth , they are obviously better than the players they currently have. If the club can't afford to pay it well then they don't, but then it is up to the club to find money from sponsors ,fundraisers , running club more efficiently or building a good environment so people hang around and spend money at the club, yes some clubs have rich farmers who pump money into clubs, well the club must mean a lot to them and given them lots back as you get back what you put in. There are plenty of millionares at these city clubs who will only donate a thousand a year as long as there son gets a game, so let's not hate clubs that are lucky enough to have a generous farmer or two who want there club community to be proud! Biffboy just went and drove from tailem footy club to Meningie took me 46 minutes! You must have nice wheels
Last edited by Secondsquare on Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secondsquare

Postby biffboy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:17 pm

So your saying I was closer?
biffboy
Under 16s

Postby Secondsquare » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Nah made a quick adjustment to the time, buy the time I buy some chicken wings from the servo at Meningie takes about 52 mins. At the end of the day I would rather a club win a flag because they had people in the community who are willing to donate , then just give the flag to the town with the biggest population talent pool. Good night I'm now going to write a novel!!
Secondsquare

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:17 am

There should be a population clause put into every points system. ie reduce the maximum points available to the bigger populated clubs.

Say max 9 points for the 2 bridge clubs whilst others have 15 and then adjusted the same way for each on performance
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby cracka » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:07 am

daysofourlives wrote:There should be a population clause put into every points system. ie reduce the maximum points available to the bigger populated clubs.

Say max 9 points for the 2 bridge clubs whilst others have 15 and then adjusted the same way for each on performance

All leagues should adopt something like this.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby P.B » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:38 am

Especially when Murray Bridge's population is expected to increase by 20,000 over the next 10 or so years as reported in the Standard. What chance do the outside clubs hold then? Bringing back the Redlegs won't solve it.
P.B
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby field of dreams » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Despite all the rumours, Hodge is staying on at Jervois.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy