SAAFL Club Umpies Poll

Adelaide Footy League Talk

SAAFL Club Umpies Poll

Postby blublurag » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:35 am

The SAAFL Web Site is runing a poll about whether Club Umpires should umpire neutral games.

In an ideal world this would be great. But in reality, Club umpires only do it because they got begged and bribed, and only want to stay close to home. They will not do neutral games. My experience this year is that the Club umpires have been impartial (Div 3R anyway).

If the SAAFL has trouble attracting umpires for more money than the Clubs are paying, are they really expecting Clubs to be in such a position that they can recruit all these umpires.

The poll results are a little surprising and probably reflect a lack of understanding of the issue.

Should club umpires, umpire neutral games, not their own club?
68% Yes
30% No
3% Undecided
Total Votes: 37

http://www.saafl.asn.au to have your vote.
blublurag
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby dont think do » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:18 am

Its a bigger issue in the lower grades, as an example I was punched in the face last year about 5 metres from a club umpire and it was play on, but you could guess what would have happened if I returned the favor.

With having club umpires doing other games they should divide the comp into areas so they dont have to travel, this would stop the issus as as it stands now they have to travel every 2nd week now.

Is good to see the league trying to do something about it.
When to much sport is never enough
dont think do
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby stan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:08 pm

The problem is more about club umpires favouring there side. And there are plenty out there that will openly cheat.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Pag » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:31 pm

We've had a couple of bad ones trhis year but I think on the whole for D3R the club umpires in the two's havent been too bad. And sometimes we judge them more harshly than we should simply because they might give a free kick to their own club even if it is valid.

And like blublurag said, club umpires are exactly that, club umpires. If they were going to do neutral games they would just be normal umpires. Our two's umpire is our club treasurer and I could say with a bit of confidence that he wouldn't do neutral games, as he is with the club on game day busy doing all the stuff that nobody else wants to do, especially with home games.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League