medal presentations post GF

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who would you rather have presenting you with your GF medal?

A stuffy board member who I wouldn't know from a bar of soap
13%
Your club president, or a legend of your club, who can share in your achievements
75%
Neither, take the medals and present them back at the club in front of ALL our supporters
13%

Total votes : 24

Re: medal presentations post GF

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Trader wrote:Genuine question, how many people are on the SAAFL board and how many grounds hosted GFs last week?
I don't buy this argument there aren't enough officials to go round.

Having said that, it was made very clear in the email that went out that there wouldn't be officials at each ground, and given that, Clubs who wanted presentations done at the ground and didn't arrange it only let themselves down.

Gino was working in the canteen at Thebby

Stephen Young was at Thebby presenting as Athelstone were in 2 finals there

Shaun (treasurer) running around grounds collecting money.

Jimmy presented C4 at Kilburn (take note @Rooster and then D4R and D4 at Broadview

Mark King was at St Marys and Trevor Holst I believe was on the dead and dying list (could be wrong), and was only a last minute pull-out, otherwise would've been at a ground.

Which leaves Mark Johnstone and apparently he may have been working at Thebby. Not sure why he wasn't at a ground.

John Kernahan - not on the board and spends all day dealing with logistics at all grounds and any drama's that arise (like draws and crowd brawls ;) )

Had Kenilworth won, I'm sure Life member Schulzy would have been very honoured to hand out medals and cups 8)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1747 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Lazy bastids, not busy at all. :roll:
Slack pricks.

So where were Joe Bloggs and Fred Smith again ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Rooster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Pffft.... :roll:

Look, Firstly I'm talking about the size of two pallets on top of each other, only a step up and step down.. And for Clubs like Salisbury and Kilburn who host finals every year and always do a good job of it, (Although, they Ran out of everything but Sausages on the BBQ.) I'm sure there is room at both grounds, Its about Going Forward and making a feature of GF Day... If Clubs want to do it they will, if not... Oh well..

And Secondly, Although I think the Idea of having a club based rep, has it's merits, I still feel that the SAAFL should have some representation at each oval for every GF. I'm not aware of the Email that was sent to Clubs to organize their own presentation, Fair Enough, but I think that we are letting the league off lightly, I watched the Game on Sat, Nth Haven's Two's Came off and I clearly heard the Coach ask where the trophy was?? The SAAFL are supposed to be Administrators, and This was badly Administered.
Sorry people I only deal in facts!
The Rooster
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby The Rooster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Trader wrote:Genuine question, how many people are on the SAAFL board and how many grounds hosted GFs last week?

Having said that, it was made very clear in the email that went out that there wouldn't be officials at each ground, and given that, Clubs who wanted presentations done at the ground and didn't arrange it only let themselves down.

Jimmy presented C4 at Kilburn (take note @Rooster and then D4R and D4 at Broadview

Mark King was at St Marys and Trevor Holst I believe was on the dead and dying list (could be wrong), and was only a last minute pull-out, otherwise would've been at a ground.

Which leaves Mark Johnstone and apparently he may have been working at Thebby. Not sure why he wasn't at a ground.

John Kernahan - not on the board and spends all day dealing with logistics at all grounds and any drama's that arise (like draws and crowd brawls ;) )

Had Kenilworth won, I'm sure Life member Schulzy would have been very honoured to hand out medals and cups 8)

Yeah, Don't know Jimmy, but didn't see any Presentation to the C4's...
Last edited by The Rooster on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rooster
Under 18s

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:20 pm

So because you didnt see it..it didnt happen?Clearly you didn't ready initial post.

If you have that much of an issue with it... put in a complaint to hq.

However given your club wasnt involved at any capacity I'm not sure why you feel so strongly about it bar the opportunity to whinge for the sake of whinging despite the evidence being stacked against your argument.

But that's what a forum is for I guess

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby The Rooster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:31 pm

It is Exactly what Forums are For.

What Evidence? What Argument - I have had a crack at the SAAFL, Fair enough like we agree it's a forum, You've made it an Argument By going into Bat for the League and Replied on their Behalf. Why?

And I am Absolutely Whingeing , but not for the sake of Whingeing, There is an old Saying " The Squeaky wheel gets the grease" My little rant might actually promote some thought, some ideas to make OUR footy experience better.

And I Shouldn't have to be involved in some capacity to care for the other players that played maybe their most significant game, or Lament the fact that it could have been done better.
The Rooster
Under 18s

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Footy Chick wrote:So because you didnt see it..it didnt happen?Clearly you didn't ready initial post.

However given your club wasnt involved at any capacity I'm not sure why you feel so strongly about it bar the opportunity to whinge for the sake of whinging despite the evidence being stacked against your argument.

I was at the Div 5 gf too and thought it was poor myself. Saafl could learn a lot by going to a country gf and watching how they do it. Nothing better then getting on the little podium to get your medal
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:33 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:So because you didnt see it..it didnt happen?Clearly you didn't ready initial post.

I was at the Div 5 gf too and thought it was poor myself. Saafl could learn a lot by going to a country gf and watching how they do it. Nothing better then getting on the little podium to get your medal

Not taking sides, but I didnt see anything at Kilburn either.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:40 pm

The Rooster wrote:It is Exactly what Forums are For.

What Evidence? What Argument - I have had a crack at the SAAFL, Fair enough like we agree it's a forum, You've made it an Argument By going into Bat for the League and Replied on their Behalf. Why? So it didn't occur to you that another reason for doing it this way is because the clubs for the best part were happy to have their own people do the presentation, the argument is, is that the clubs don't have a basis on which to whinge because they were told by email that they were required to do their own, it's not like the league reps just didn't turn up, then I'd understand your anger :lol:

And I am Absolutely Whingeing , but not for the sake of Whingeing, There is an old Saying " The Squeaky wheel gets the grease" My little rant might actually promote some thought, some ideas to make OUR footy experience better.I agree, we can always make things better, but there's a way and means by which to do things. Try raising your concerns to your club delegate and do it the right way, the league are always happy to hear suggestions about improvement, rather than just whining about whats' wrong.

And I Shouldn't have to be involved in some capacity to care for the other players that played maybe their most significant game, or Lament the fact that it could have been done better.Join the board! ;)

Footy Chick

Postby The Rooster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Wow, you just don't get it? Who cares what the Clubs are "Emailed" I'm saying that a League should oversee Presentations, I'm saying it's a cop out to send an Email saying Roughly sort it out yourself. I was a Neutral Supporter and despite the clubs involved it was disappointing, The buck should stop with the league.

As for a means to do things and doing things right, I can Raise any issue I like to my Club Delegate (Who is a Volunteer by the way, who works full time and has a family) but that won't change or inspire Salisbury, Kilburn or whoever, I'm not looking to change the world, but maybe someone read it and goes "hmm, that sounds good!" that's all, Shouldn't need to be done through official meetings, surely??..
The Rooster
Under 18s

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:09 pm

The Rooster wrote:Wow, you just don't get it? Who cares what the Clubs are "Emailed" I'm saying that a League should oversee Presentations, I'm saying it's a cop out to send an Email saying Roughly sort it out yourself. I was a Neutral Supporter and despite the clubs involved it was disappointing, The buck should stop with the league.

As for a means to do things and doing things right, I can Raise any issue I like to my Club Delegate (Who is a Volunteer by the way, who works full time and has a family) but that won't change or inspire Salisbury, Kilburn or whoever, I'm not looking to change the world, but maybe someone read it and goes "hmm, that sounds good!" that's all, Shouldn't need to be done through official meetings, surely??..

do you write for the footy budget???? ;) :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:22 pm

The Rooster wrote:Wow, you just don't get it? Who cares what the Clubs are "Emailed" I'm saying that a League should oversee Presentations, I'm saying it's a cop out to send an Email saying Roughly sort it out yourself. I was a Neutral Supporter and despite the clubs involved it was disappointing, The buck should stop with the league.

I get it fine.

If you can find a way to fit 4 board members into 6 (or more)ovals, you'll be a genius and then we can all bask in your glory. ;) This is effectively what you're asking the league to do.

PS: While you're there, perhaps get on your little soap box and complain to the AFL because Andy doesn't personally present the winners with their medals. Little kids do it. Perhaps we should get mini-leaguers to do it here too ;)

Footy Chick

Postby RooShootOhh » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:46 pm

I cant believe anyone thinks it's ok to wait until your back at your club before players are presented with medals and trophies etc...

That is nearly the most satisfying part of winning a GF, and trust me, that medal around your neck means a lot.
Then being presented to your club individually with that medal already around your neck representing something has extra meaning!!!

It shouldn't matter who does it (even though I agree it SHOULD be the leagues ownership), someone should be on the ground after EVERY GRADE/GAME to make the presentation!

If the league can't get enough officials there, then have SET guidlines e.g. Host club MUST provide the following 1-2-3 immediately after the game at a bare minimum... on top of that they then COULD also do 4-5-6 if they so choose. If you are going to host a final, clearly there have to be absolute minimums based around the actual GF's considering thats what everyone is there for in the first place!

Then with medals, cup and flag come the Lap of Honour (usually with photo infront of the scoreboard!)

My 2 cents
RooShootOhh
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times
Grassroots Team: Waikerie

Postby HH3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah I dont think shooting an email (that may or may not be read) out and then wiping your hands of it is the best way to go. Set guidelines for hosting and participating clubs would make everyones responsibilities clear. And a few phone calls to make sure everyones on the same page.

Ive been told the SAAFL have been told there are things that need to be improved. So hopefully they take that advice for next time.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby NO-MERCY » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:02 pm

HH3 wrote:Yeah I dont think shooting an email (that may or may not be read) out and then wiping your hands of it is the best way to go. Set guidelines for hosting and participating clubs would make everyones responsibilities clear. And a few phone calls to make sure everyones on the same page.

Ive been told the SAAFL have been told there are things that need to be improved. So hopefully they take that advice for next time.

Will they run out of beer again early at Thebby saturday?
NO-MERCY
Coach

Been liked: 15 times

Postby Bloods4Life » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 pm

whufc wrote:Just a thought feel free to shoot it down.

Could the two teams participating in the GF be asked to nominate a member of their club to hand out the cup and medals if they win the flag.

This could then be used by the club to honour a life member, respected club man etc who would appreciate the chance to do that rather than a board member who couldnt give a rats and barely know any of the players.

Just a thought.

Shouldn't be on the board if they don't give a rats. Should be SAAAFL representation at every div from 1-7 where A grade teams are fielded otherwise it gives the impression the SAAFL only care about the top couple of divs and they just have the rest to gloat about how they're the biggest comp in Australia. I feel for the teams in the lower divs because I too agree that getting that medal presented to you on the field while the emotion is at it's peak is one of the greatest feelings a footy player will have. I agree a life member or club champion should present the medals where possible but a SAAFL representative should hand out the cup and flag. IMO
Bloods4Life
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby scottroo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Footy Chick, you are actually incorrect, all clubs playing in div 6 or above grand finals were informed that a league rep would present the cup, flag and medals to the players

Division 6 RES-
You are in control of the order of presentations. Some clubs choose to hold the player medallions and present them at your club but others prefer the traditional order as listed above but it is completely up to you.

Division 6-
The Division 6 cup, flag and medals will be presented by a league official.

There are 30 medallions to present to other significant parties eg team manager, trainer.
scottroo
League - Best 21

Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby cracka » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
The Rooster wrote:It is Exactly what Forums are For.

What Evidence? What Argument - I have had a crack at the SAAFL, Fair enough like we agree it's a forum, You've made it an Argument By going into Bat for the League and Replied on their Behalf. Why? So it didn't occur to you that another reason for doing it this way is because the clubs for the best part were happy to have their own people do the presentation, the argument is, is that the clubs don't have a basis on which to whinge because they were told by email that they were required to do their own, it's not like the league reps just didn't turn up, then I'd understand your anger :lol:

And I am Absolutely Whingeing , but not for the sake of Whingeing, There is an old Saying " The Squeaky wheel gets the grease" My little rant might actually promote some thought, some ideas to make OUR footy experience better.I agree, we can always make things better, but there's a way and means by which to do things. Try raising your concerns to your club delegate and do it the right way, the league are always happy to hear suggestions about improvement, rather than just whining about whats' wrong.

And I Shouldn't have to be involved in some capacity to care for the other players that played maybe their most significant game, or Lament the fact that it could have been done better.Join the board! ;)

Hey Footy Chick. I think there is a saying that applies here "the people that complain the loudest are the ones that help out the least"
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 466 times
Been liked: 574 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:46 pm

When talking to John Kernahan on Saturday he asked if I could present the medals to the clubs being a former member of the SAAFL Board as they had a couple of Board members unavaliable.

Not a problem. We presented the Medals to Adelaide Uni and our Club president helped out and Uni were very happy with the arrangement.

We did the same with Plympton in both the D4 & D4R games by which time Peter Carter SAAFL Director arrived from the Kilburn game. We did it in front of the all of the Plympton members who had gathered on the hill outside our clubrooms. No problems worked well as we have an outside PA system.

Last year at the D8 Game along with our club President we both presented our C Grade premiership players with their medals on the ground.

Storm in a tea cup time to get over it
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am

Footy Chick wrote:

Mark King was at St Marys and Trevor Holst I believe was on the dead and dying list (could be wrong), and was only a la
st minute pull-out, otherwise would've been at a ground.

And if Kenilworth lost is leave it to you to ask him to do the presentation ;)

For the record we'd hand out the medals back @ the club id imagine if we win today.

Or it could be another draw....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League