No votes
SHOC
4%
Unley Mercedes Jets
7%

Total votes : 55

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2017

Postby The Old Fellow » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 am

If neither umpire reported or even gave a free kick the club could have called on both umpires to be witnesses.
Happened with another club a few seasons ago where one umpire reported a player when he wasn't the closest officiating umpire at the time and the other umpire who decision or no decision was overruled defended the player who was reported for a high late bump.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby The Hound » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 am

What happens when a player gets red carded but then it gets down graded to a yellow after the match? Team loses rotations because player can't come back on but if was yellow card in the first instance player can come back on after 10 minutes. Does the umpire get downgraded to a different grade the next week?
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby S Demon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:43 am

The Hound wrote:What happens when a player gets red carded but then it gets down graded to a yellow after the match? Team loses rotations because player can't come back on but if was yellow card in the first instance player can come back on after 10 minutes. Does the umpire get downgraded to a different grade the next week?

He thanks his lucky stars that he gets to play next week and isn't suspended and moves on
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 371 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:37 pm

The Hound wrote:What happens when a player gets red carded but then it gets down graded to a yellow after the match? Team loses rotations because player can't come back on but if was yellow card in the first instance player can come back on after 10 minutes. Does the umpire get downgraded to a different grade the next week?

If this happened it's absolutely rubbish. The consequences of a player getting a red card are quite extreme, so umpires have to get it right. It is inexcusable for an umpire to issue a red card which could result in a player not being able to participate for the rest of the game and his team playing with 17 men for 10 minutes and then, come the end of the game, reassess as a yellow.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:It is inexcusable for an umpire to issue a red card which could result in a player not being able to participate for the rest of the game and his team playing with 17 men for 10 minutes and then, come the end of the game, reassess as a yellow.

Red carded players can return to the game after 10min unless the umpire chooses differently. Umpire decides how long they remain off for.

49.2 If a Category “A” report is made by a field umpire the player shall be sent from the playing field for a minimum of ten (10) minutes or greater up to the maximum of the remainder of such match as determined by the reporting field umpire. The reporting umpire shall display a red card indicating that a player has been reported for a Category “A” Offence. The player may be replaced after ten (10) minutes of playing time.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Zartan wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:It is inexcusable for an umpire to issue a red card which could result in a player not being able to participate for the rest of the game and his team playing with 17 men for 10 minutes and then, come the end of the game, reassess as a yellow.

Red carded players can return to the game after 10min unless the umpire chooses differently. Umpire decides how long they remain off for.

49.2 If a Category “A” report is made by a field umpire the player shall be sent from the playing field for a minimum of ten (10) minutes or greater up to the maximum of the remainder of such match as determined by the reporting field umpire. The reporting umpire shall display a red card indicating that a player has been reported for a Category “A” Offence. The player may be replaced after ten (10) minutes of playing time.

Correct, which is why I stated it could. In most cases, a red card results in a player being sent off for the rest of the game. In the first game of the season, TTG v Modbury, there were 3 red cards given and in each case the players were sent off for the rest of the game. Come Wednesday night all 3 were found not guilty.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:In the first game of the season, TTG v Modbury, there were 3 red cards given and in each case the players were sent off for the rest of the game. Come Wednesday night all 3 were found not guilty.

Ouch!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Is it just me or is the excellent job the AdFL and its umpires are doing to clean up the game actually serving to magnify the borderline incidents meaning blokes are getting Yellow Cards when a free kick and a quick verbal warning would suffice or a Red Card (and a holiday) when a Yellow Card is more warranted. It's enjoyable watching local footy including my own club with the violent acts almost completely eliminated from the game not to mention very little of the false bravado that we still see in the AFL such as push and shove, constant niggle etc. but I have seen some ridiculous Yellow Cards this year and a few Reds that were Yellow at worse.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Trader » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:09 pm

So the umpire saw something, sent the player off, and between then and the end of the game, the umpire decided/realized the offence didn't warrant heading to the tribunal. You would rather the umpire continued with the red, forced everyone to head along on Wednesday night and waste their time?

I think its good if the umpire can admit at the end of the game he got it wrong and change his ruling, saving everyone time and effort on a Wednesday night.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby bird of prey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Is it just me or is the excellent job the AdFL and its umpires are doing to clean up the game actually serving to magnify the borderline incidents meaning blokes are getting Yellow Cards when a free kick and a quick verbal warning would suffice or a Red Card (and a holiday) when a Yellow Card is more warranted. It's enjoyable watching local footy including my own club with the violent acts almost completely eliminated from the game not to mention very little of the false bravado that we still see in the AFL such as push and shove, constant niggle etc. but I have seen some ridiculous Yellow Cards this year and a few Reds that were Yellow at worse.

Our umps umpire the game very differently to the AFL (holding the ball, deliberate, high contact, etc). They will also react differently to how afl umpires handle things.
Because the afl have the ability to review all games on tapes, hand out huge fines, etc, it makes it easier for them to control things (also emergency umpires coming in to sort stuff out). The easiest way our umps can keep the game under control is to hand out cards.
I've played many games where the game has started to get very rough and borderline out of control. The umpire then hands out a soft card or 2, and it seems to settle things down.
It's definitely frustrating for people to see soft send offs, but if it helps control the game, then it's not totally a bad thing.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby bird of prey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Is it just me or is the excellent job the AdFL and its umpires are doing to clean up the game actually serving to magnify the borderline incidents meaning blokes are getting Yellow Cards when a free kick and a quick verbal warning would suffice or a Red Card (and a holiday) when a Yellow Card is more warranted. It's enjoyable watching local footy including my own club with the violent acts almost completely eliminated from the game not to mention very little of the false bravado that we still see in the AFL such as push and shove, constant niggle etc. but I have seen some ridiculous Yellow Cards this year and a few Reds that were Yellow at worse.

This is easily the most frustrating thing watching AFL. So glad it hardly exists at our level. Sometimes I wish blokes in the afl were able to react to these total pests without punishment.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Trader wrote:

So the umpire saw something, sent the player off, and between then and the end of the game, the umpire decided/realized the offence didn't warrant heading to the tribunal. You would rather the umpire continued with the red, forced everyone to head along on Wednesday night and waste their time?

I think its good if the umpire can admit at the end of the game he got it wrong and change his ruling, saving everyone time and effort on a Wednesday night.

Hypothetical. You are coaching a team in the Adelaide Football League and it's the last game of the minor round. You are playing your arch rival for a spot in the finals and your best player gets a red card early in the second quarter and is sent off for the rest of the game. You play with 17 men for the next 10 minutes and during this time the opposition score 5 goals to nil. At the end of the game you lose by 3 points and the umpire approaches your team manager and tells him he has reassessed the incident involving your best player and he now considers not worthy or a red card or a tribunal appearance. Are you;
a) Happy that your best player doesn't have to go to the tribunal
b) Furious that his over zealous use of a red card has cost your team the win and participation in finals
c) Don't care because you've been hanging out for cricket season
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby Trader » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Trader wrote:

Hypothetical. You are coaching a team in the Adelaide Football League and it's the last game of the minor round. You are playing your arch rival for a spot in the finals and your best player gets a red card early in the second quarter and is sent off for the rest of the game. You play with 17 men for the next 10 minutes and during this time the opposition score 5 goals to nil. At the end of the game you lose by 3 points and the umpire approaches your team manager and tells him he has reassessed the incident involving your best player and he now considers not worthy or a red card or a tribunal appearance. Are you;
b) Furious that his over zealous use of a red card has cost your team the win and participation in finals

They are two separate incidents.

Sure, we'd like the umpire to get it right at the time of picking which card to issue, that's the ideal outcome.
But lets say he gets it wrong, at the end of the game the umpires observer and or a boundary umpire approaches him and says it was an open hand slap, not a punch, and the player that went down was acting.

Would you like the umpire to compound his error and waste everyone's time on Wednesday? Or have the guts to admit he got it wrong and let everyone get on with it?

Just cause he got the first assessment wrong, doesn't mean he should go ahead with the tribunal.

You are angry at him correcting his mistake to the best of his ability.

I would suggest in the 88 minutes that your 21 blokes made a couple of poor decisions as well.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:15 pm

What Trader says is absolutely correct. Of course in an ideal world umpires wouldn't make mistakes.

However, in the circumstances where they make a mistake and can correct their mistake which in turn can mitigate further damage to the player and club the subject of the mistake this should be encouraged
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Trader wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Trader wrote:

They are two separate incidents.

Sure, we'd like the umpire to get it right at the time of picking which card to issue, that's the ideal outcome.
But lets say he gets it wrong, at the end of the game the umpires observer and or a boundary umpire approaches him and says it was an open hand slap, not a punch, and the player that went down was acting.

Would you like the umpire to compound his error and waste everyone's time on Wednesday? Or have the guts to admit he got it wrong and let everyone get on with it?

Just cause he got the first assessment wrong, doesn't mean he should go ahead with the tribunal.

You are angry at him correcting his mistake to the best of his ability.

I would suggest in the 88 minutes that your 21 blokes made a couple of poor decisions as well.

Hang on, it was my hypothetical and you were coaching the team that lost, so it was your 21 blokes that made poor decisions. I was coaching the team that won. Sounds like your not overly upset about missing the finals. Fair enough.

FWIW I agree with the umpires approach in being more liberal with the use of yellow cards to control games. The consequences are negligible. The offending player gets to cool his heels for 10 minutes and the team is not penalised by being a player short. Just need to make they get the red cards right.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby Trader » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Of course I'm upset, but I'm realistic enough to recognise the outcome of a footy match is the sum of 1000s of individual moments and decisions. To blame one beyond my or my player's control would be counterproductive.

A hypothetical for you. It is the GF, the opposition's best player flattens one of your blokes off the ball in the first qtr. Your player is out for the game. The umpire saw it, but was trigger shy because there was an outcry about a game in round 1 where three players got red cards but all got off at the tribunal. The umpire is aware the game is video'd so opts for a yellow, knowing if it was red card worthy, the player will get done via investigation anyway.
The opposition player sits out his 10 minutes, comes back on, has 35 touches and kicks 5 goals as a midfielder. You loose by 3 points.

During the week that follows, the investigation reveals it was a blatant red card offence. The player gets an 8 week suspension. You've lost cause the umpire was afraid to pull the trigger.
Your playing group is devastated and falls apart, 9 of your a-graders leave for different clubs and leagues. You never coach a team to finals again.
How does that make you feel?
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Trader wrote:Of course I'm upset, but I'm realistic enough to recognise the outcome of a footy match is the sum of 1000s of individual moments and decisions. To blame one beyond my or my player's control would be counterproductive.

A hypothetical for you. It is the GF, the opposition's best player flattens one of your blokes off the ball in the first qtr. Your player is out for the game. The umpire saw it, but was trigger shy because there was an outcry about a game in round 1 where three players got red cards but all got off at the tribunal. The umpire is aware the game is video'd so opts for a yellow, knowing if it was red card worthy, the player will get done via investigation anyway.
The opposition player sits out his 10 minutes, comes back on, has 35 touches and kicks 5 goals as a midfielder. You loose by 3 points.

During the week that follows, the investigation reveals it was a blatant red card offence. The player gets an 8 week suspension. You've lost cause the umpire was afraid to pull the trigger.
Your playing group is devastated and falls apart, 9 of your a-graders leave for different clubs and leagues. You never coach a team to finals again.
How does that make you feel?

.......and to make matters even more frustrating, they use the incident in a video as an example of when umpires should show a red card.

It just highlights the importance of getting red card decisions correct. Not red carding a player for a serious offence is just as bad as red carding someone for a trivial offence and then changing your mind after the game. The consequences are significant and the damage is done.

Good hypothetical though.....lots of similarities to last year's Div 1 Grand Final. :(
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby jo172 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Bloody intense relegation battle ahead.

4 seemingly even matched outfits
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Broadview/Pembroke/Scotch an intriguing relegation arm wrestle
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am

Surprised no comments yet about Unley losing score and the 2 points from their game v Old Iggies on 8 July. Puts a dent in their finals aspirations.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League