Flinders Uni
9%

Total votes : 101

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2013

Postby bandar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:46 am

old farmer wrote:
Jugs wrote:
old farmer wrote:
zedman wrote:so AVFC actually need 10 new players then to be competitive..and thats a lot of points..imo HDFC should be given the option to stay up

Still think 1 up, 1 down would mean Houghton Down. No option is being used by IF, just good enough to finish above Houghton. Why should Houghton be rewarded for finishing botom. It is TTG decision to stay down if thats what they choose, 1 up, 1 down

And why should you be rewarded for finishing in the relegation zone 3 years in a row?

Because SAAFL have a stupid rule which allows C grade teams to stay down. That means only the bottom team goes down. IF are not exercising any right to stay up, the C grade side is exercising their right to stay down, nothing to do with us. Anyway, leave the clearly bottom team up and demote the second bottom team that would just prove what a joke div 6/7/8 are. Time to sort it out...2 up, 2 down. No arguments

The rule is actually for any side not just C grade. But you have to have a side agree to stay up. If they don't you have to go up.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby marbles » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Lightning I doubt smithfield could even make div 8 finals let alone achieve anything worthwhile in div 7 so the only thing thats garbage here is ur emotional bias and refusal to at least contemplate ur players enjoyment of actually winning matches instead of your own ego thats more worried about what div ur club is in
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:49 pm

marbles wrote:Lightning I doubt smithfield could even make div 8 finals let alone achieve anything worthwhile in div 7 so the only thing thats garbage here is ur emotional bias and refusal to at least contemplate ur players enjoyment of actually winning matches instead of your own ego thats more worried about what div ur club is in

Dude, I have nothing to do with them anymore, that was their first season of re-building and they have more players heading out there this season, you only beat them by 9 points at your ground with 20 on the field.
Go back to the 2012 thread and do a garbage count of who posted what! :) :)
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Yank Man wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
lutz wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:I agree with you Lutz but only if Broadview and/or SMOSH are interested in coming up from Div 8. I think that Div 8 should be able to have 'A' grade sides in it like a Flinders Uni who have been struggling for a while now and if they want to go down to Div 8 I think they should be allowed to, perhaps Div 8 could be the grade they can be competitive in. Therefore if Broadview and SMOSH choose to go up then I think Wingfield should be in Div 8 along with Flinder Uni.

Although this depends on if Wingfield are going to have two sides.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if Wingfield can field two sides next season, but credit to them if they can. As you (and others) have suggested, Broadview and SMOSH would fit nicely into D7 I would think (even PAOC).

Agreed Lutz if they keep their playing squad together. SMOSH beat our C grade by more 20 goals both times they went up against both times in Div 8 this season. The guys who played against them that I spoke to said they had great structure and discipline for a C grade outfit and despite losing the Div 8 GF, were easily the best side in Div 8.

With Flinders Uni, going through the scores across the grades in Sunday Mail and seeing another heavy loss to the Crabs I wonder how the guys who play there feel about continually going out on to a footy ground on a Saturday arvo and getting absolutely belted game after game in the amateur leagues lowest 'A' grade division. Surely something needs to be done about it.

Dark Night I think you will find in time that Flinders Uni have some great recruits for 2013 nd have been at it for 8 weeks or so now. Reckon they feel they can now compete in Divvy 7. Spoke to their coach in round 18 and they are more than positive with what they will have. Not to mention that they came in to our club after the game and we shouted a few jugs and the 'coach' tried to recruit a few for 2013 but they all seemed happy to stay where they are and drank the beer and left. Amicably. :D

Well then those 'great recruits' must be on some massive coin because I don't really see any other incentive to play there.

More than positive after your boys belted them by 217 points? LOL
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10390 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Yank Man » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 pm

You would be really surprised with why the Flinders Uni boys play together. It ain't money and they are a tight group who maybe just love their club and play for fun. Bit of a rarity in this day and age with all the $$$$$ being thrown around. Mates of mates are the only way to recruit when you don't pay. Mitchell Park don't pay and mates bought mates this year and look what happened there.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 323 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Boosh » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:58 am

Yank Man wrote:You would be really surprised with why the Flinders Uni boys play together. It ain't money and they are a tight group who maybe just love their club and play for fun. Bit of a rarity in this day and age with all the $$$$$ being thrown around. Mates of mates are the only way to recruit when you don't pay. Mitchell Park don't pay and mates bought mates this year and look what happened there.

I commend any club that does not have to play players, there are few left these days. Players greed is the biggest cancer in our sport but I have no solution to stop it.

For the record TDK is one the best club people at our club and it would be a better place if we had more like him.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:59 am

Unfortunately in this day and age, clubs need to pay players if they want to be successful, especially as they move up the divs. Clubs that don't quickly get left behind and find themselves in the doldrums of the low grades.

Clubs might experience some intermittent success ala Mitchell Park, but its short lived - how will they go when a couple of their best retire?

It's a shit reality but that's the way it is with amateur sport growing in professionalism, and so much money out there up for grabs especially sponsorship dollars.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby morell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 am

You see I just don't buy that PG. I don't think you need to pay players to be a happy, vibrant, successful club. The strong clubs in Div 1, 2 and 3 also have amazing junior programs (by and large) and/or collegiate influx. To me, that is where success comes from.

As an aside as I read somewhere in this thread "why would you play for Flinders Uni". I would rather play in Div 6 or Div 7 with mates who earn the same I do - $0 - than play with mercenaries or hired hit men who are only there in the short term for some cash - but play in the lofty heights of D4.

The day Mitchell Park pays a single cent, is the day I go and play for Flinders Uni. Would prefer to be smashed week in week out and feel part of something bigger and better than I am, rather then feel like a football whore and slut myself to the nearest pub owner.

If this is what football is now about then I reckon a few of these blokes who rock up and get a pay cheque to play a sport at the amateur level have a good hard look in the mirror and realise what they are doing to the sport (and the clubs) that has provided them with so much.

IMO, the SAAFL should be doing more to curb this rot. I know of players getting paid hundreds of dollars a game, who at best are good/ordinary Div, 3, 4, 5 players. Its a farce and should be, somehow, mitigated by the SAAFL.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Gatt_Weasel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:19 am

when you pay players it creates so many bigger issues its called the follow on effect

1.paid players make way for long time loyal players
2.makes it harder for 16s and 18s to get into the main squad
3.10-20k per year in player payments creates problems on its own you tend to find the whole club juniors included are dragged down cause of this
4.members get annoyed at way the club is being run so leave taking kids with them etc

i know a few clubs who only have 2-3 teams in junior programes for these reasons and struggle to this day to field full sides in the 3 junior teams they had
Gatt_Weasel
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Wayback

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 am

Gatt_Weasel wrote:when you pay players it creates so many bigger issues its called the follow on effect

3.10-20k per year in player payments creates problems on its own you tend to find the whole club juniors included are dragged down cause of this
4.members get annoyed at way the club is being run so leave taking kids with them etc

i know a few clubs who only have 2-3 teams in junior programes for these reasons and struggle to this day to field full sides in the 3 junior teams they had

A well thought out, contructive post.

Ok, WHERE is the real Weasel and what have you done with him :lol: ;)

Seriously though, for the best part, you're right - and reading that, made me think that's the exact description of at least a couple of clubs right now...
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1743 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby Gatt_Weasel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Gatt_Weasel wrote:when you pay players it creates so many bigger issues its called the follow on effect

A well thought out, contructive post.

Ok, WHERE is the real Weasel and what have you done with him :lol: ;)

Seriously though, for the best part, you're right - and reading that, made me think that's the exact description of at least a couple of clubs right now...

yeah once and a while have my moments lol i guess if you have a good structure in place at the top you can make it to at current div 3 before money will make it harder if you dont pay.......was a lot more i wanted to say but i figured breaking it down to keep it simple was best way
Gatt_Weasel
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Wayback

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 pm

morell wrote:You see I just don't buy that PG. I don't think you need to pay players to be a happy, vibrant, successful club. The strong clubs in Div 1, 2 and 3 also have amazing junior programs (by and large) and/or collegiate influx. To me, that is where success comes from.

As an aside as I read somewhere in this thread "why would you play for Flinders Uni". I would rather play in Div 6 or Div 7 with mates who earn the same I do - $0 - than play with mercenaries or hired hit men who are only there in the short term for some cash - but play in the lofty heights of D4.

The day Mitchell Park pays a single cent, is the day I go and play for Flinders Uni. Would prefer to be smashed week in week out and feel part of something bigger and better than I am, rather then feel like a football whore and slut myself to the nearest pub owner.

If this is what football is now about then I reckon a few of these blokes who rock up and get a pay cheque to play a sport at the amateur level have a good hard look in the mirror and realise what they are doing to the sport (and the clubs) that has provided them with so much.

IMO, the SAAFL should be doing more to curb this rot. I know of players getting paid hundreds of dollars a game, who at best are good/ordinary Div, 3, 4, 5 players. Its a farce and should be, somehow, mitigated by the SAAFL.

No you are correct, you dont need to pay players to be part of a successful club, but that depends on what you class as successfull? If you think clubs in div 1/2 with strong junior base aren't paying players then you are kidding yourself!

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the fact remains it's a sign of the changing times, and the clubs who refuse to follow suit will be left behind.

Ingle Farm is a prime example - fantastic junior programme, never paid players and are trapped in the lower grades. Partly to do with some of the culture that has surrounded the club in the past obviously, but so many of these juniors who get picked up into development squads and league clubs, then when the time comes decide to move on to greener pastures at higher div clubs for either money or to better themselves.

It's a quickly developing culture now that people chase coin, even kids realise there is money to be made from playing footy, very few play for the love and it's even harder to attract quality footballers for nothing.

Should Mitchell Pk go up to Div 5 in 2014 do you not think you will have to recruit more higher calibre players to be competitive? How will you get these players, especially with a few clubs nearby your own who may well be paying money..?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Junior & Senior football departments are generally run by seperate commitees. Kilburn is definatetly a club that has struggled for juniors, but at least they are making progress - I think the past two years were the 1st time is something like 8yrs that Kilburn had any junior sides.

However I do believe senior success can play a part in attracting junior players to a club, so it goes hand in hand.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Alan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Are Wingfield going to nominate 2 teams this year? I heard Dave Dollarguy is going to coach them and is on the recruitment trail.
Alan

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Henley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Alan wrote:Are Wingfield going to nominate 2 teams this year? I heard Dave Dollarguy is going to coach them and is on the recruitment trail.

I'd very much doubt that Dogleg would coach them.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:45 pm

It might help if people on here read the leagues R&R's occasionally regarding promotion and relegation it might answer all questions.

Either of the Member Clubs playing in the Grand Final may choose not to be promoted in the following season provided that such an option has not been exercised by that Member Club in the previous season and that a Member Club occupying either of the lowest two positions on the premiership table at the end of the minor round of matches in the Division above the Member Clubs to be promoted chooses to remain in the same Division for the following season provided such Member Club has not exercised this option in the previous season.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby zedman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:It might help if people on here read the leagues R&R's occasionally regarding promotion and relegation it might answer all questions.

Either of the Member Clubs playing in the Grand Final may choose not to be promoted in the following season provided that such an option has not been exercised by that Member Club in the previous season and that a Member Club occupying either of the lowest two positions on the premiership table at the end of the minor round of matches in the Division above the Member Clubs to be promoted chooses to remain in the same Division for the following season provided such Member Club has not exercised this option in the previous season.

and thats why IFFC will have to go to div 7 and why, if TTG dont come up, that HDFC should be offered it..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1080 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby BFG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:30 pm

I heard a rumour regading Flinders Uni that a few blokes that went to Cardijn college that havent played footy since high school were looking to all venture out there. have no idea of quality etc. but if they can get 5-10 blokes who have played the game before and are zero pointers you'd have to think they would improve.
BFG
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Alan wrote:Are Wingfield going to nominate 2 teams this year? I heard Dave Dollarguy is going to coach them and is on the recruitment trail.

I'd very much doubt that Dogleg would coach them.

Would be a step down for him, so i'd be surprised if this was true. He was and probably still is, a very demanding coach. Discipline and respect were expected of players. Would this really be a good match?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Yank Man » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
morell wrote:You see I just don't buy that PG. I don't think you need to pay players to be a happy, vibrant, successful club. The strong clubs in Div 1, 2 and 3 also have amazing junior programs (by and large) and/or collegiate influx. To me, that is where success comes from.

No you are correct, you dont need to pay players to be part of a successful club, but that depends on what you class as successfull? If you think clubs in div 1/2 with strong junior base aren't paying players then you are kidding yourself!

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the fact remains it's a sign of the changing times, and the clubs who refuse to follow suit will be left behind.

Ingle Farm is a prime example - fantastic junior programme, never paid players and are trapped in the lower grades. Partly to do with some of the culture that has surrounded the club in the past obviously, but so many of these juniors who get picked up into development squads and league clubs, then when the time comes decide to move on to greener pastures at higher div clubs for either money or to better themselves.

It's a quickly developing culture now that people chase coin, even kids realise there is money to be made from playing footy, very few play for the love and it's even harder to attract quality footballers for nothing.

Should Mitchell Pk go up to Div 5 in 2014 do you not think you will have to recruit more higher calibre players to be competitive? How will you get these players, especially with a few clubs nearby your own who may well be paying money..?

You're right PG, the seagulls are already yapping at the Den but the group seem resilient enough to hang together. If we were successful in Div 6 then that would be a completely different matter. I was a footy director in Div 1 and understand the payment issues, so for MP they will be heading in to a new era pretty soon. I personally don't have a problem with players who can earn a bit on the side to play footy because we as coaches are demanding so much more in the training stakes nowadays and it does eat in to their work time and in some instances it becomes work or footy as a choice. One week at a time though and maybe we need to have stuctures in place to cover the inevitable if we get good enough, or we will be a Div 6/7 club forever. Which ain't that bad as long as we are having fun and are competitive.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 323 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League