What age do clubs start organising kids games?

Adelaide Footy League Talk

What age do clubs start organising kids games?

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:27 am

I ask this as my son is only 6 but he's hanging out to play footy,he's in Year 1/2.
I was playing at his age but it seems to be a no no these days to encourage kids in competitive sports which shits me.
Can anyone let me know what is the definitive age that certain rules permit.
I know at his school he can't play for another 2 or 3 years which also shits me.
Cheers.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:12 am

The NEMJFA run from under 6's, so I'd think the clubs out there would be under similar guidelines.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Pag » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:13 am

I think the CDJFL up north have a 'Joeys' Under 7 comp, which sorta incorporates Auskick. Still modified rules though, no tackling, soccering etc. Full rules don't come in until about Under 11s I think.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:24 pm

Cheers guys, I suppose the smartest thing to do would be to ring up South, West or Glenelg depending on who covers Happy Valley this week. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:Cheers guys, I suppose the smartest thing to do would be to ring up South, West or Glenelg depending on who covers Happy Valley this week. ;)

Just find your nearest club & take him out for a run at training, if your happy with the coaches & the general set up sign away.
Don't forget to put your name down for goal umpire, stats keeper, manager, canteen duty, timekeeper, & general dogsbody while your at it.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:41 am

His school will have an Auckick program for him,but most club based footy will start at Grasshoppers or U/8 level.

My lad started playing when he was 5 at our club,but that was with some anonimity involved. :wink:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:50 pm

How's that life membership application going at North Wedgie? If your boy is any good and we get Happy Valley back again as part of our zone it could junior Wedgie in a Bays guernsey!!

The Snouts know who you really are so we can make sure the club keeps an eye out for your boy...........

Does web-site work and promotional activities count as applicable service for life-membership?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:37 pm

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:How's that life membership application going at North Wedgie? If your boy is any good and we get Happy Valley back again as part of our zone it could junior Wedgie in a Bays guernsey!!

The Snouts know who you really are so we can make sure the club keeps an eye out for your boy...........

Does web-site work and promotional activities count as applicable service for life-membership?

Unfortunately not, I think it acts backwards according to some and I"ve served abou5 - 10 years towards life membership! :P

PS I'd move if we were back in the Bay area, there's already a lad with my surname starring for Westies in the Juniors, let's hope Matty's the next! :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Re: What age do clubs start organising kids games?

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:I ask this as my son is only 6 but he's hanging out to play footy,he's in Year 1/2.
I was playing at his age but it seems to be a no no these days to encourage kids in competitive sports which shits me.
Can anyone let me know what is the definitive age that certain rules permit.
I know at his school he can't play for another 2 or 3 years which also shits me.
Cheers.

Wedgie - Let us know how you get on, Im in Flaggy and have a lad a couple of years younger than yours however am wondering which club down here is the best. Leaning towards the valley but Flaggy's juniors have been going well lately.

I know they start soccer at under 6's - no wonder more and more kids are heading that way when its the first competitive sport they can get into...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Blue Boy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:19 am

Wedgie

Flaggies puts a lot of effort in to their junior programs and would be worth a call - havent had a great run at senior level but with the juniors coming through should slowly get there
Blue Boy
Veteran

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby dont think do » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Flaggies have a great junior program which has seen a lot of sucuss. The proof is in the pudding.
When to much sport is never enough
dont think do
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby BM » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:24 pm

Gents. I am coach of a NE suburbs junior team and one of my players has moved to Reynella and is looking for a club to play for this year. He would be U11'S and can play. His parents have asked me for a recommendation for a club but I dont have much of an idea on the Southern Junior teams. I would of thought Reynella as it would be close. Any info would be appreciated.
BM
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League