medal presentations post GF

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who would you rather have presenting you with your GF medal?

A stuffy board member who I wouldn't know from a bar of soap
13%
Your club president, or a legend of your club, who can share in your achievements
75%
Neither, take the medals and present them back at the club in front of ALL our supporters
13%

Total votes : 24

medal presentations post GF

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Ok

This is a bit of a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situation.

Below is an example of the email sent to all grounds hosting grand finals on the weekend, as well as participating clubs:

As with previous years, the host venue will be in possession of the respective premiership trophies and medallions for this week’s match and the procedure for presentations will loosely be as follows though as they say, “the winner can please themselves”. ie; to choose to receive medals on the ground or choose to take the medals and run, and do the presentations back at their club later on

Our recommendation is The President or nominated representative for the eventual premier of the Div. 7 and C3 matches will present in this order.

1. A team manager or similar should read the names in playing number order
2. Premiership medallions to the 21 players
3. Premiership medallion to the team captain
4. Premiership medallion to the team coach
5. Premiership cup and flag to captain and coach

You are in control of the order of presentations. Some clubs choose to hold the player medallions and present them at your club but others prefer the traditional order as listed above but it is completely up to you.

There are 30 medallions to present to other significant parties eg team manager, trainer.

The contacts at Salisbury are

Joe Bloggs – 0400 000 000
Fred SMith – 0411 111 111

There are simply not enough board members to go around - even the dullest knives in the draw can add up those sums so before having a crack at the league - look at your own backyard as every participating club was well aware of the situation.

Rant over.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1753 times
Been liked: 2172 times

Re: medal presentations post GF

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:08 pm

So...where were Joe Bloggs and Fred Smith on the day? Surely they weren't busy?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby moses » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm

How many grounds were used Sat, 6 or 7?

Was there any representation at any grounds?
moses
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby HAWKBOY » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:So...where were Joe Bloggs and Fred Smith on the day? Surely they weren't busy?

They were at the Div8 GF working in the BBQ Booth, because Footy Chick wasn't doing any work. Unless talking is work!!
HAWKBOY
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Last edited by Phantom Gossiper on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm

FC, your point is well made. SAAFL did make it clear to the participating clubs, that they had the option of running their own presentation on the ground. I think this point was missed in the ensuring chaos after the game at Salisbury on Saturday. Anyway, we worked it out eventually and Knowlesy and the boys ended up getting their medals and the cup in front of a very appreciative crowd. Also, well done to the Angle Vale boys who hung around for the presentation.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 534 times

Postby WOS Dragons » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:31 pm

In previous years hasnt it been done by a league rep with the aid of a microphone/pa system? not that easy for a club president to do without the assistance from the host club. If the medals arent given out I dont think it matters as clubs can present them back at their club - but someone should be on hand to present the cup/flag.
WOS Dragons
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:51 pm

HAWKBOY wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:So...where were Joe Bloggs and Fred Smith on the day? Surely they weren't busy?

They were at the Div8 GF working in the BBQ Booth, because Footy Chick wasn't doing any work. Unless talking is work!!

nice attempt at a troll but obviously you don't know what I look like, considering I was also in the BBQ flat out, which didn't give me much time for talking, except selected idiot supporters who very rudely kept giving me $50 notes just after opening.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Well at Salisbury they were fending off a bikie war - so probably a bad example.

Any further questions?

Footy Chick

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Bloody hell, impressive effort by them ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 pm

I thought the broadview footy club did an excellent effort.. From national anthem, to medal presentations and also all the off field stuff... Great work to all involved
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3066 times
Been liked: 2433 times

Postby The Rooster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am

Not At Kilburn on Sat!!

Payneham N/U- C4 Premiers - No Presentation.
North Haven - D5R - No Presentation.
Obviously there was a draw in the D5 game.

Personally, I think it was a disgrace, if the League doesn't have enough "Officials" to hand out medals, that's their Problem and they need to treat the lower grades with more respect than that. Get some SANFL players or Something, Do something!! Don't just not show up or post out the medals to the host Club and get them to sort it out, that's rubbish. We all know there a lot of hard work done by a lot of people at local club, largely by volunteers. Their efforts get rewarded with Premierships and to see two separate clubs win flags and not get officially presented in front of the main crowd is an indictment on the Current SAAFL administration..

Also, Just an Idea for any Kilburn, Salisbury members or any other clubs that Usually host Grand Finals, How about getting a small platform made that can be dragged out on to the oval for a quick presentation, then put back again, only needs to be a platform big enough to step on get your medal and step off, Just an idea.
Sorry people I only deal in facts!
The Rooster
Under 18s

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:40 am

****, don't want much, do ya?

Footy Chick

Postby Trader » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 am

Genuine question, how many people are on the SAAFL board and how many grounds hosted GFs last week?
I don't buy this argument there aren't enough officials to go round.

Having said that, it was made very clear in the email that went out that there wouldn't be officials at each ground, and given that, Clubs who wanted presentations done at the ground and didn't arrange it only let themselves down.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 811 times

Postby The Rooster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 am

Footy Chick wrote:****, don't want much, do ya?

Er, Don't think I've asked for anything unreasonable... It's not Brain Surgery!!

It is 2013, Surely we should be getting better at doing things, Not Worse!!
Sorry people I only deal in facts!
The Rooster
Under 18s

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: St Paul's College OS

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Just a thought feel free to shoot it down.

Could the two teams participating in the GF be asked to nominate a member of their club to hand out the cup and medals if they win the flag.

This could then be used by the club to honour a life member, respected club man etc who would appreciate the chance to do that rather than a board member who couldnt give a rats and barely know any of the players.

Just a thought.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5648 times
Been liked: 2582 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby S Demon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 pm

I dont think we had any issues at our ground with presentations. Not sure what happened in the Modbury game as I was on the front gate, all the modbury boys had them on their neck when they drove out so they obviously go them. I know ROCS were given the cup and medals by our club secretaty straight after the game and the Team Manager read out a list of players and the club president presented the medals

We had more trouble getting ROCS to leave the changerooms. Still going strong at 6.30pm!! :partyman: :drinkers: :partyman: :drinkers: Very respectful bunch of lads though, cleaned up their mess and went on their merry way!!

Standing around waiting for something to happen and then complaining about it on the forum is a joke. If you wanted a presentation so badly, surely someone from your football club could have gone and found the cup and medals and done it for you. We are all big boys after all
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 371 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:37 pm

whufc wrote:Just a thought feel free to shoot it down.

Could the two teams participating in the GF be asked to nominate a member of their club to hand out the cup and medals if they win the flag.

This could then be used by the club to honour a life member, respected club man etc who would appreciate the chance to do that rather than a board member who couldnt give a rats and barely know any of the players.

Just a thought.

All Clubs were given the option of presenting medals and if they were organised they could have got a past legend involved in the presentation. The Clubs were in control of the presentation last Saturday, so if it didn't work out they way they wanted, then they need to look in their own backyard.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 534 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:42 pm

whufc wrote:Just a thought feel free to shoot it down.

Just a thought.

That's what was supposed to happen.

you're dead right, I would've thought that the players would rather receive their medals from a club legend than a board member they've never met. ALso gives said club legend a chance to be a part of the celebrations.

Rooster, point taken and as nice as it would be to have a big chunky pedestal a-la AFL at each ground, where is each club supposed to store said pedestal? It would be nice to do a lot of things, however logistically they're not viable at our level.

Footy Chick

Postby heater31 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Jeez first world problems here :shock:

Seems if you didn't do it at the ground you only have your club to blame.
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League