SAAFL Division 3 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 3 grand final?

Athelstone
8%
Kilburn
23%
Mitcham
10%
Modbury
12%
Old Ignatians
6%
Pembroke
3%
Plympton
12%
Salisbury
3%
Seaton
11%
Unley Mercedes Jets
12%

Total votes : 113

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:07 am

Robb_Stark wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I'm sure a certain school that I happen to be an alumni of probably spends it's fair share, albeit on a far lesser number of players - but all with SANFL/AFL experience
You went to Prince Alfred?! :shock: :lol:

i thought footy chick was a OLSH girl

:shock:

Pfft. Im offended [-(
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 am

SAAFL football has got out of hand in the last 10 years with cost of living on the rise and younger kids looking for easy cash and older players looking for extra cash in the final years of football we are left with what we currently have division 1 and 2 is now out of reach to clubs who struggle to make good income or generate $$$ sponsors ....... the cost of buying players to top up clubs has doubled 200 dollars could get you a gun player but these days that cost is about 400 dollars

clubs often only have presidents etc there for 4-6 years in that time a lot try and only plan for that period of time rather then long long term.... clubs that pay a lot of players often find juniors drop of also cause long time loyal people normally pack up and move with kids

lots of factors lead to troubles at clubs more often then not its spending cash to be a stronger div that you cant afford to keep doing

thats the shortest i can put it i still had a lot of factors and examples to put in but who wants to read heaps
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:23 am

Robb_Stark wrote:SAAFL football has got out of hand in the last 10 years with cost of living on the rise and younger kids looking for easy cash and older players looking for extra cash in the final years of football we are left with what we currently have division 1 and 2 is now out of reach to clubs who struggle to make good income or generate $$$ sponsors ....... the cost of buying players to top up clubs has doubled 200 dollars could get you a gun player but these days that cost is about 400 dollars

Whilst I'm not naieve enough to believe that $$$ doesn't have a significant effect on the upper echelons on amateur football I disagree with the common belief that it is the main or sole reason for success. A quick survey of the current teams in Div 1 and Div 2 would show:

Adelaide Uni - Unique, are truly not like any other club.
SPOC - School runs a hugely participated in football program.
ROCS - School runs a hugely participated football program
Gaza - $$
Goodwood - Large, perennially successful juniors
TTG - Largest junior club in SA
Henley - Links with Henley High School and large junior program
Salisbury North - Large junior program
Port Districts - Large Junior Program
Portland - Large junior program
Broadview - Large Junior program
PHOS - Large Junior Program
Gepps Cross - Large Junior Program
SHOC - Perennially successful football school
Flinders Park - Large junior program
Walkerville - Large junior program
PACOC - School runs a hugely participated in and successful football program.
PNU - Second biggest junior program in SA
SMOSH - School is a perennially successful football school and the club has a junior program
Scotch - School runs a smaller football program.

It's fairly common knowledge that all the above clubs fork out money for football players. Some pay out more than others undoubtedly but all pay to an extent. However, the strength of these clubs is largely a steady influx of players coming as a result of their pre-existing ties with the club whether from School or junior football. Yes the cash helps, but the foot in the door these club's already have is of tremendous advantage. Take PNU's Premiership side. 16 of the 22 players were PNU juniors.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 am

You cannot say that Portland's junior program is in the same bracket as Henley, Districts, Flinders Park, etc, etc
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:28 am

Mr Beefy wrote:You cannot say that Portland's junior program is in the same bracket as Henley, Districts, Flinders Park, etc, etc

I'm not (well intentionally).

Obviously none of those junior programs are identical.

However, Portland has fielded Under 18 sides more often than not over the last half decade?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:21 am

I reckon 3 out of the last 5 years. Last year they didn't have U12s (I think) whereas all the other clubs you mention probably had 2 or more sides. they do not have a large junior program. They do, however, do something right, to be in D1 and be renowned scrooges.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Jetters » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:08 pm

jo172 wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:SAAFL football has got out of hand in the last 10 years with cost of living on the rise and younger kids looking for easy cash and older players looking for extra cash in the final years of football we are left with what we currently have division 1 and 2 is now out of reach to clubs who struggle to make good income or generate $$$ sponsors ....... the cost of buying players to top up clubs has doubled 200 dollars could get you a gun player but these days that cost is about 400 dollars

Whilst I'm not naieve enough to believe that $$$ doesn't have a significant effect on the upper echelons on amateur football I disagree with the common belief that it is the main or sole reason for success. A quick survey of the current teams in Div 1 and Div 2 would show:

Gaza - $$
SMOSH - School is a perennially successful football school and the club has a junior program

It's fairly common knowledge that all the above clubs fork out money for football players. Some pay out more than others undoubtedly but all pay to an extent. However, the strength of these clubs is largely a steady influx of players coming as a result of their pre-existing ties with the club whether from School or junior football. Yes the cash helps, but the foot in the door these club's already have is of tremendous advantage. Take PNU's Premiership side. 16 of the 22 players were PNU juniors.

Well put!
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Jabber » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Im just glad someone explained what Hubris was...
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby Q. » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:27 pm

I thought it was a venereal disease.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jetters » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
jo172 wrote:My club does not rely solely on poached players and as a result is significantly more stable. Most clubs do not rely entirely on poached players for success and therefore their natural troughs are not as detrimental as they appear to be in Kilburn's case.

You call it poaching, I call it recruiting. Kilburn has recruited in the past based on a need to ensure a level of competitiveness in the grade it is in - whether going up a level or to stop a continual slide.

As has been previously pointed out, Kilburn has always struggled for juniors and the depth in senior ranks has been very poor, so unfortuantely they do need to rely solely on recruiting players, a vicious circle it has created but one that I believe the current board is working hard to change.

This is the problem.

Clubs without a strong recruiting pool (juniors or school) and rely on paid recruits to "ensure a level of competitiveness in the grade its in" are lying to themselves!

They are just blowing a bubble of success, which when the money can't be sustained will pop and they will not just lose a couple of players they can no longer afford, they then become noncompetitive, get smashed and relegated. They lose more players because now they don't want to be in a lower division or get belted again . There is no back up plan because their is not loyalty in the playing group (they were there because you were the highest bidder), there are no developing players and the B grade sucks. Then the club continues downhill.

The thing that gives everyone else the sh!ts is everyone else can see it happening!!!!
But before it does, you have some short term success (Kilburn, Brahma) which other clubs competing for the prize miss out on, but they miss out on it knowing full well what they have built is sustainable and what the 'successful' club has built is not!

So you don't need to rely on paid players to ensure a level of competitiveness, you need to stop kidding yourself about what grade you belong. As someone demonstrated before by going through the clubs in Div 1&2, relying solely on $$ is most of the time unsustainable. $$ are probably a requirement, but not nearly the first step.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Pag » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:18 pm

Jetters wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
jo172 wrote:My club does not rely solely on poached players and as a result is significantly more stable. Most clubs do not rely entirely on poached players for success and therefore their natural troughs are not as detrimental as they appear to be in Kilburn's case.

You call it poaching, I call it recruiting. Kilburn has recruited in the past based on a need to ensure a level of competitiveness in the grade it is in - whether going up a level or to stop a continual slide.

As has been previously pointed out, Kilburn has always struggled for juniors and the depth in senior ranks has been very poor, so unfortuantely they do need to rely solely on recruiting players, a vicious circle it has created but one that I believe the current board is working hard to change.

This is the problem.

Clubs without a strong recruiting pool (juniors or school) and rely on paid recruits to "ensure a level of competitiveness in the grade its in" are lying to themselves!

They are just blowing a bubble of success, which when the money can't be sustained will pop and they will not just lose a couple of players they can no longer afford, they then become noncompetitive, get smashed and relegated. They lose more players because now they don't want to be in a lower division or get belted again . There is no back up plan because their is not loyalty in the playing group (they were there because you were the highest bidder), there are no developing players and the B grade sucks. Then the club continues downhill.

The thing that gives everyone else the sh!ts is everyone else can see it happening!!!!
But before it does, you have some short term success (Kilburn, Brahma) which other clubs competing for the prize miss out on, but they miss out on it knowing full well what they have built is sustainable and what the 'successful' club has built is not!

So you don't need to rely on paid players to ensure a level of competitiveness, you need to stop kidding yourself about what grade you belong. As someone demonstrated before by going through the clubs in Div 1&2, relying solely on $$ is most of the time unsustainable. $$ are probably a requirement, but not nearly the first step.
Well said Jetters.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I'm sure a certain school that I happen to be an alumni of probably spends it's fair share, albeit on a far lesser number of players - but all with SANFL/AFL experience
You went to Prince Alfred?! :shock: :lol:

i thought footy chick was a OLSH girl

:shock:

Pfft. Im offended [-(

Iggies?
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Footy Follower » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:24 pm

jo172 wrote:

Gaza - $$

I think you are definietly on the right track here Jo, what I think you may have missed though and the one that I think is hugely important is under 18's teams. In div 1 every club aside from Gaza has a under 18's team (excluding Old scholar and Uni teams) and in div 2 everyone aside from Phos Camden and Walkerville have under 18's sides. A coincidence? I think not! There is too bigger jump from under 15's or 16's into senior football, so what do the kids do??? They move to a team that has an under 18's side. Most sides with 18's would typically train with the seniors at least once a week and there for there is always kids coming through ready to play senior footy!
Footy Follower
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby HawkieRanger » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Footy Follower wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Gaza - $$

I think you are definietly on the right track here Jo, what I think you may have missed though and the one that I think is hugely important is under 18's teams. In div 1 every club aside from Gaza has a under 18's team (excluding Old scholar and Uni teams) and in div 2 everyone aside from Phos Camden and Walkerville have under 18's sides. A coincidence? I think not! There is too bigger jump from under 15's or 16's into senior football, so what do the kids do??? They move to a team that has an under 18's side. Most sides with 18's would typically train with the seniors at least once a week and there for there is always kids coming through ready to play senior footy!

PHOS have an 18's team, and there's some good talent in it! When you look at the div 1 & 2 clubs, there's certainly a pattern that emerges (From a district club point of view)! Replicating it at your club however is harder than you'd think!
HawkieRanger
Rookie

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Mitcham

Postby X Runna » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 pm

I've heard things are on the move at Kilburn today. Sad.......
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:07 am

X Runna wrote:I've heard things are on the move at Kilburn today. Sad.......

Spose i'll get the facts out there before the rumour mill kicks into over drive today.
1. Greg Phillips has officially resigned as head coach of Kilburn
2. The club has already identified possible candidates and are confident of finding a suitable replacement by early next week at the latest.
3. Kilburn will remain in D3 this season, although the possibility of a bye in D3R is still a distinct possibility, however the club is still hopefully of 2 sides and will know more in the coming days/week.
4. The club has in the vicinity of 35-40 players signed.

Good day, and happy Friday everyone, enjoy the long weekend :)
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Q. » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:17 am

Cutting a swathe through the bullshit does PG.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Fricky » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:44 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
X Runna wrote:I've heard things are on the move at Kilburn today. Sad.......

Spose i'll get the facts out there before the rumour mill kicks into over drive today.
1. Greg Phillips has officially resigned as head coach of Kilburn
2. The club has already identified possible candidates and are confident of finding a suitable replacement by early next week at the latest.
3. Kilburn will remain in D3 this season, although the possibility of a bye in D3R is still a distinct possibility, however the club is still hopefully of 2 sides and will know more in the coming days/week.
4. The club has in the vicinity of 35-40 players signed.

Good day, and happy Friday everyone, enjoy the long weekend :)

Spoke to an old cricket team mate of mine who's plays at Kilburn now and he confirmed point 3. He also mentioned that the club is still able to entice players to the Chics as the club's finances are still in a good place, although this is the reason they are in their current predicament.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:56 am

Suri wrote:Spoke to an old cricket team mate of mine who's plays at Kilburn now and he confirmed point 3. He also mentioned that the club is still able to entice players to the Chics as the club's finances are still in a good place, although this is the reason they are in their current predicament.

I believe the amounts will be significantly less that are available than previous years, and the club is looking to only invest in only a handful of players if they can entice them to top up the A grade, first focus is finding the right person to coach the side and then hoping the rest of the pieces fall into place.

The current board is also looking at a more sustainable long term solution and breaking the habit of operations in previous years, and are fully aware and prepared for the hard times that are in store.

The club will also field juniors up to i believe age group u/13's this season, have last seasons u/16's (who i'm not sure are old enough to play 18's or not) and a girls side.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 am

maybe its time a few of the northern clubs invested a lot more into the junior side of it rather then the seniors......and im not just saying that about brahma and kilburn to me salisbury would be the club in the north who have the strongest set up while not forking out the big bucks to seniors to play
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League