SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby morell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Yank Man wrote:
morell wrote:Hey everyone, welcome to my list of...

*drumroll*

morell's Football Myths!

1. You play the way you train.
2. Pre-seasons are really important in amateur football.
3. Stretching achieves anything, ever.
4. Every club pays players.
5. Getting to a game early allows for a superior preperation.
6. Business slacks make you a more professional and disciplined club.

This has clearly been done to death morell, BUT,

1. You DO play the way you train, over the season and not week by week.
2. Pre-seasons are critical in amatuer footy. To build the bond and unite the group. Not trash em.
3. Stretching is EVERYTHING at amatuer league level, it dramatically improves recovery before a night on the piss.
4. Most clubs pay a handful of players, that's why they progress.
5. Professional clubs encourage A grade players to get to the oval early to support the B's. Thus improving preparation.
6. Club attire is a 50/50. For me, most of the class of 2011/12 at MP were plumbers, electricians, concreters, mechanics, brikkies, laborers etc, etc. More than half of them worked for themselves so getting dolled up to go to the footy and play Saturday was like going to a wedding or funeral for them. So all I asked was to wear a club top and dress like you liked yourself. They all dressed to the nines for club functions I might say, and that was their choice as a group. Tells you something about a premiership team I guess. :)

1. Yeah exactly, you’re pretty much agreeing with me I think. I would say that the intention of when people bring a group in and trot out the “cmon lads, it’s a big game on Saturday, you play the way you train” line has got its foundation in improving that particular session. I think what we’re getting at is more based around establishing an overarching culture and ethos, which pervades everything a club does, rather than specifically lifting your work rate for circle work.

2. I would say pre seasons are moderately important for divisions lower than 5. I think you need to have a reasonably solid fitness base to be able to compete, but reckon the pendulum has swung too far and we’re putting too much emphasis on aerobic fitness and not enough emphasis on talent, skill, intelligence, courage and veracity for the contest. We have some very, very fit footballers who cannot execute the simplest of skills within the game. Some people are also naturally fit and don’t need as much work as others, there are also plenty of people like me that just do not have a strong capacity for running, not matter how much we waddle around. Plus, by I reckon round 10, everyone is as fit as everyone else, or, at least, the average fitness across the teams are pretty equal.

3. Codswallop Yanky! Time to update your thinking. Please have a look at this, as it really does summarise it really well. Essentially it's a study of a bunch of stretching studies. It has created a measurement which takes the mean of power, responsiveness, strength etc before and after stretching and the plotted the % change. Although the negative impacts are negligible, it’s pretty clear stretching really does next to nothing:

This is quantifiable, empirical, proven, scientific evidence that stretching before a game does diddly.

I would say the much more beneficial thing to do in terms of health and performance for sport in regards to “nights on the piss” is to .. not have “nights on the piss”.

4. Whilst true, and very sad in my opinion, I still think it’s myth that every club does.

5. How does watching the B’s improve preparation for the A Grade game? It might be something that’s good for the club and nice to do for you team mates, but it doesn’t really help you prepare. Hey I enjoy it anyway, so I was always there early, but I used to hate it when I would get dragged in from enjoying my early afternoon watching my mates play in the B’s to hear people prattle on about nothing much in particular for 30 minutes. I reckon ensuring everyone is ready before the coaches address, say 10 minutes before the game is plenty of time. Of course getting to the game early doesn’t stop Friday nights out, eating the wrong food for breakfast, taking no doze or any other of the things which would actually have a significant impact on one's preparation.

It’s a funny thing though, everyone is different, which is why I subscribe to the Joe Leck school of thinking – “do whatever works for you”.

6. So you agree with me than :). Club top for the A Grade is something I would strongly encourage, but not insist. If someone doesn't want to wear it so be it, we’re not in the army, but it might count against that person when it comes time to determine who the leaders are, who the coach thinks is a team player, selection on Thursday nights etc.

Wearing black slacks and dress shoes however is a complete load of wank.

----

Haha, anyway, always fun Yanky!
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Cohiba » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm

morell wrote:
Yank Man wrote:
morell wrote:Hey everyone, welcome to my list of...

*drumroll*

morell's Football Myths!

1. You play the way you train.
2. Pre-seasons are really important in amateur football.
3. Stretching achieves anything, ever.
4. Every club pays players.
5. Getting to a game early allows for a superior preperation.
6. Business slacks make you a more professional and disciplined club.

This has clearly been done to death morell, BUT,

1. You DO play the way you train, over the season and not week by week.
2. Pre-seasons are critical in amatuer footy. To build the bond and unite the group. Not trash em.
3. Stretching is EVERYTHING at amatuer league level, it dramatically improves recovery before a night on the piss.
4. Most clubs pay a handful of players, that's why they progress.
5. Professional clubs encourage A grade players to get to the oval early to support the B's. Thus improving preparation.
6. Club attire is a 50/50. For me, most of the class of 2011/12 at MP were plumbers, electricians, concreters, mechanics, brikkies, laborers etc, etc. More than half of them worked for themselves so getting dolled up to go to the footy and play Saturday was like going to a wedding or funeral for them. So all I asked was to wear a club top and dress like you liked yourself. They all dressed to the nines for club functions I might say, and that was their choice as a group. Tells you something about a premiership team I guess. :)

1. Yeah exactly, you’re pretty much agreeing with me I think. I would say that the intention of when people bring a group in and trot out the “cmon lads, it’s a big game on Saturday, you play the way you train” line has got its foundation in improving that particular session. I think what we’re getting at is more based around establishing an overarching culture and ethos, which pervades everything a club does, rather than specifically lifting your work rate for circle work.

2. I would say pre seasons are moderately important for divisions lower than 5. I think you need to have a reasonably solid fitness base to be able to compete, but reckon the pendulum has swung too far and we’re putting too much emphasis on aerobic fitness and not enough emphasis on talent, skill, intelligence, courage and veracity for the contest. We have some very, very fit footballers who cannot execute the simplest of skills within the game. Some people are also naturally fit and don’t need as much work as others, there are also plenty of people like me that just do not have a strong capacity for running, not matter how much we waddle around. Plus, by I reckon round 10, everyone is as fit as everyone else, or, at least, the average fitness across the teams are pretty equal.

3. Codswallop Yanky! Time to update your thinking. Please have a look at this, as it really does summarise it really well. Essentially it's a study of a bunch of stretching studies. It has created a measurement which takes the mean of power, responsiveness, strength etc before and after stretching and the plotted the % change. Although the negative impacts are negligible, it’s pretty clear stretching really does next to nothing:

This is quantifiable, empirical, proven, scientific evidence that stretching before a game does diddly.

I would say the much more beneficial thing to do in terms of health and performance for sport in regards to “nights on the piss” is to .. not have “nights on the piss”.

4. Whilst true, and very sad in my opinion, I still think it’s myth that every club does.

5. How does watching the B’s improve preparation for the A Grade game? It might be something that’s good for the club and nice to do for you team mates, but it doesn’t really help you prepare. Hey I enjoy it anyway, so I was always there early, but I used to hate it when I would get dragged in from enjoying my early afternoon watching my mates play in the B’s to hear people prattle on about nothing much in particular for 30 minutes. I reckon ensuring everyone is ready before the coaches address, say 10 minutes before the game is plenty of time. Of course getting to the game early doesn’t stop Friday nights out, eating the wrong food for breakfast, taking no doze or any other of the things which would actually have a significant impact on one's preparation.

It’s a funny thing though, everyone is different, which is why I subscribe to the Joe Leck school of thinking – “do whatever works for you”.

6. So you agree with me than :). Club top for the A Grade is something I would strongly encourage, but not insist. If someone doesn't want to wear it so be it, we’re not in the army, but it might count against that person when it comes time to determine who the leaders are, who the coach thinks is a team player, selection on Thursday nights etc.

Wearing black slacks and dress shoes however is a complete load of wank.

----

OMG..... :roll: SOS for Dr Gevorkian........
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby morell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:02 pm

Do you mean Dr Kevorkian?

Sorry for talking footy on a footy forum. What would you like to discuss? Big Brother? Jersey Shore? Something else more conducive to your attention span?
morell
Coach

Postby Cohiba » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:20 am

morell wrote:Do you mean Dr Kevorkian?

Sorry for talking footy on a footy forum. What would you like to discuss? Big Brother? Jersey Shore? Something else more conducive to your attention span?

Stand corrected on the Doc M....... don't apologise...the footy talk is okay........and after getting my attention..... I agree....definitely a load of wank...... ;)
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 am

Morell, in regards to your opinion on 'stretching', it must be pointed out that while static stretching in isolation has negligible benefits, it is a 'warm-up' that is actually beneficial and will generally include dynamic stretching.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Riddler » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:58 am

carey wrote:Central United will lose no more than 2 or 3 of the A grade playing squad.

This playing group has been together for a long period of time many of these lads have been offered money by other clubs some close by and some in the country for bigger dollars but these lads all stick together as they are very good friends which I for one admire in them.

As for where CUFC will play in 2014 I guess only one group of people can answer this and that would be the SAAFL I have a fair idea as to what the SAAFL are thinking and I tend to agree with Phantoms line of thinking but who knows time will tell I guess.....

How would you know Carey? You don't answer your phone when they ring you :lol:
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby The Riddler » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:59 am

moses wrote:Ro$ewater have signed a big name Gun Full Forward is the word around the Western Suburbs. Don't tell me "The Diff" Jacobsen won't get his wish again to play Forward next season?

From Walkerville i'm told which would make sense now given who the new Coach is.
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:26 am

The Riddler wrote:
moses wrote:Ro$ewater have signed a big name Gun Full Forward is the word around the Western Suburbs. Don't tell me "The Diff" Jacobsen won't get his wish again to play Forward next season?

From Walkerville i'm told which would make sense now given who the new Coach is.

Doesn't make too much sense to me, this rumour was before the coach was signed. In any case, I'm not aware of any players being signed.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby old fullback » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm

sprinttospace wrote:Aleks Bojanic will coach BOSFC A grade in 2014.
Coached Mitcham in 2013 and previously involved with Echunga and as a player at Goody Saints and Strath according to the bio from our president.
5th coach at BOS since we started in 2006 and the 2nd to come from outside the club / school environment which I think is a real positive to bring new ideas and people into a young club.
Good luck to him, I hope he goes well.

Don't recall him being at Strath, as you would remember a name like that.
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby carey » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:49 pm

The Riddler wrote:
carey wrote:Central United will lose no more than 2 or 3 of the A grade playing squad.

This playing group has been together for a long period of time many of these lads have been offered money by other clubs some close by and some in the country for bigger dollars but these lads all stick together as they are very good friends which I for one admire in them.

As for where CUFC will play in 2014 I guess only one group of people can answer this and that would be the SAAFL I have a fair idea as to what the SAAFL are thinking and I tend to agree with Phantoms line of thinking but who knows time will tell I guess.....

No phone signal in Moomba and I've been in Thailand as well but thanks for your interest tho QUITTER ;)
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Yank Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:08 pm

carey wrote:
The Riddler wrote:

No phone signal in Moomba and I've been in Thailand as well but thanks for your interest tho QUITTER ;)

Hah he's no quitter carey, just moved in to League ranks. Obviously the forum works in Moomba and Thailand. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 321 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby carey » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:52 am

Yank Man wrote:
carey wrote:
The Riddler wrote:

Hah he's no quitter carey, just moved in to League ranks. Obviously the forum works in Moomba and Thailand. :)

League ranks????

And everything works in Thailand :oops:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby sprinttospace » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:26 pm

old fullback wrote:
Coached Mitcham in 2013 and previously involved with Echunga and as a player at Goody Saints and Strath according to the bio from our president.
5th coach at BOS since we started in 2006 and the 2nd to come from outside the club / school environment which I think is a real positive to bring new ideas and people into a young club.

In the 80's I believe but may have only been for 1 year, not sure of exact detail.
He's had a lot of involvement in different sports at different levels and a number of clubs
sprinttospace

Postby Q. » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Anyone left at Angle Vale?

Thompson has signed with Smithfield for a bit of coin, and a couple more to follow him. Then there's those that are following the ex-coach to TOS.

Could be a long season for the Owls.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:13 am

sprinttospace wrote:
old fullback wrote:

In the 80's I believe but may have only been for 1 year, not sure of exact detail.
He's had a lot of involvement in different sports at different levels and a number of clubs

Was squid always only doing it for one year sprint?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby morell » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:33 am

Oh oh oh, I thought of another myth!

7. Strapping does anything, ever.
morell
Coach

Postby sprinttospace » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:50 am

mighty hounds wrote:
sprinttospace wrote:
old fullback wrote:

Was squid always only doing it for one year sprint?

not sure there was a plan past the first year but I know he would have liked to have gone on but family and work comes first as we all know.
plus it did have an impact on the annual footy trip to Melbourne for us 'old BOS blokes', our monthly poker night schedule and his dreamteam performance due to a shortage of time so there was a lot for him to consider for 2014 :)
sprinttospace

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:28 pm

morell wrote:Oh oh oh, I thought of another myth!

Hahaha love it, along with strapping and also stretching Morrel what's your opinion on rub downs?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10381 times
Been liked: 1530 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Cohiba » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Hahaha love it, along with strapping and also stretching Morrel what's your opinion on rub downs?

and post match ice baths........ :rolleyes: :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm

I actually agree with this one, apart from ankles which are simply there to provide additional support, strapping is a waste of time and money
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League