SAAFL Division 8 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the Division 8 Grand FInal?

Blackwood
26%
Golden Grove
24%
Hope Valley
9%
North Haven
6%
Old Ignatians
No votes
Prince Alfred OC
12%
Payneham-Norwood Union
12%
Salisbury
3%
Tea Tree Gully
6%
Wingfield Royals
3%

Total votes : 34

Re: SAAFL Division 8 2014

Postby The Pig Dog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 pm

How have clubs found PNU's Div 8/8R umpire?

I personally haven't come across a more blatant cheat in my time in amateur league footy. He was average the first time round but shocking on Saturday. Not surprisingly, the more vocal the crowd became, the more he favoured Payneham. In the end it didn't influence the results, however it will be interesting what sort of impact proper umpires have on Payneham in the finals.
The Pig Dog
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:51 pm

The Pig Dog wrote:How have clubs found PNU's Div 8/8R umpire?

I personally haven't come across a more blatant cheat in my time in amateur league footy. He was average the first time round but shocking on Saturday. Not surprisingly, the more vocal the crowd became, the more he favoured Payneham. In the end it didn't influence the results, however it will be interesting what sort of impact proper umpires have on Payneham in the finals.

Great post :roll: .

You won by a lot, Im not sure how much he could have cheated. he certainly didn't influence the result. The vocal crowd?? Wasn't the game at PAC.

Piss weak to come on here like a keyboard cowboy and call an umpire a blatant cheat. If he was a blatant cheat he would have sent your players off and effected the results.

If your playing Div 8 reserves, winning a game by 20 goals and complaining about the umpiring then you are a muppet. Why don't you play higher at a level where the umpires are not volunteers.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 848 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 pm

at what grade does SAAFL stop sending out umpires div 7 ????

and what reserves div's get SAAFL umpires also is it just div 1
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:at what grade does SAAFL stop sending out umpires div 7 ????

and what reserves div's get SAAFL umpires also is it just div 1

Unless its changes its league umpires for all A grade from Div 1-7 and everyone else is a club appointed volunteer. Then in finals its SAAFL appointments.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby The Pig Dog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:06 pm

wristwatcher wrote:

You won by a lot, Im not sure how much he could have cheated. he certainly didn't influence the result. The vocal crowd?? Wasn't the game at PAC.

Piss weak to come on here like a keyboard cowboy and call an umpire a blatant cheat. If he was a blatant cheat he would have sent your players off and effected the results.

If your playing Div 8 reserves, winning a game by 20 goals and complaining about the umpiring then you are a muppet. Why don't you play higher at a level where the umpires are not volunteers.

If you read my post carefully, I said results which is plural implying he umpired both games. Agree he couldn't influence the result in the D-grade. Thought he kept the PNU C-grade in the contest for 3 quarters due to his failure to be consistent in his interpretation or decision making.

Unsure about what happens at PNU regarding umpires but I know our umpires are not volunteers, they are past players of the club that are paid to do a job and we expect them to do it impartially and fairly.
The Pig Dog
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Road to Glory » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Agree he's a shocker, I found salisbury's and old iggies umps pretty good with PAC's not too far behind
Road to Glory
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lucindale

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:20 pm

The Pig Dog wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

If you read my post carefully, I said results which is plural implying he umpired both games. Agree he couldn't influence the result in the D-grade. Thought he kept the PNU C-grade in the contest for 3 quarters due to his failure to be consistent in his interpretation or decision making.

Unsure about what happens at PNU regarding umpires but I know our umpires are not volunteers, they are past players of the club that are paid to do a job and we expect them to do it impartially and fairly.

... Goal Umpires too @The Pig Dog?

EDIT: A cartoon posted the page before comes to mind as relevant.
Last edited by jo172 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:23 pm

The Pig Dog wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Big difference between "his failure to be consistent in his interpretation or decision making" and blatant cheat. Also pretty disrespectful to our club and reigning premiership side saying the only way we could get within 27 points of your team was due to our umpire. Comes across as pretty arrogant. That's fine though, your entitled to your opinion in that regard. Calling someone a blatant cheat though is poor form when they cant defend themselves and reflects poorly on your club that you feel the need to attack someone's credibility on a forum. If he was that bad then put in an official complaint. I played for nearly twenty years and had the umpire in question umpire games I played in and I have seen him send off PNU players on more than 5 occasions. I assure you there is much much worse out there.

Your club is the same as ours, the umpires are both volunteers. they are paid an honorarium for their services.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:06 pm

jo172 wrote:
The Pig Dog wrote:Unsure about what happens at PNU regarding umpires but I know our umpires are not volunteers, they are past players of the club that are paid to do a job and we expect them to do it impartially and fairly.

... Goal Umpires too @The Pig Dog?

EDIT: A cartoon posted the page before comes to mind as relevant.

Agree jo172. Have heard about some average calls from both the Div8 and C3 PAC goal umps this year.

As for the PNU field umpire, from what I've seen in previous seasons, incompetent might be a more accurate description rather than cheat. Then again, sounds like there were some snotty nosed rich kids giving him stick during the game, probably didn't help him to remain impartial.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Neverwasgood » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:34 pm

I know the ump we are talking about. I do find some decisions frustrating, however he is normally fairly consistent with his calls. Abuse will get you no where with him, as WW said... I have seen him send our own players off for swearing at him. Like I said to your players on Saturday, if you want better umpires train harder and play a higher grade. I am at the end of my career and I am a realistic in my expectations of a div 8 umpire so I don't even bother abusing them as it always makes them worse.
Neverwasgood

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Neverwasgood wrote:I know the ump we are talking about. I do find some decisions frustrating, however he is normally fairly consistent with his calls. Abuse will get you no where with him, as WW said... I have seen him send our own players off for swearing at him. Like I said to your players on Saturday, if you want better umpires train harder and play a higher grade. I am at the end of my career and I am a realistic in my expectations of a div 8 umpire so I don't even bother abusing them as it always makes them worse.

The reason that you don't abuse him is that he gift wrapped you the association medal last year =)) =)) :-BD

But yes all very good points NWG
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Haynzy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Neverwasgood wrote:I know the ump we are talking about. I do find some decisions frustrating, however he is normally fairly consistent with his calls. Abuse will get you no where with him, as WW said... I have seen him send our own players off for swearing at him. Like I said to your players on Saturday, if you want better umpires train harder and play a higher grade. I am at the end of my career and I am a realistic in my expectations of a div 8 umpire so I don't even bother abusing them as it always makes them worse.

I didn't find him too bad... I know a few of our blokes had an issue on the weekend and whistle seemed to go away in the last quarter but have had much much worse.

I might have had a different opinion if I was playing in the forward lines and his decisions affected me directly.
Haynzy
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:44 am

PNU v Blackwood game was one of the most amazing I've ever seen. Match was decided with a PNU goal after the siren!

EDIT - Also surprised that CLG consented to a 12:15 game at TTG's second oval in the D's. Would have thought they would have even preferred a triple header at Largs North (particularly since they're accustomed to playing the 10:15 game).
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:57 am

Those fixtures change all the time, I don't bother looking until Tuesday arvo.

RE: the CLG timeslot, I believe TTG have the right to decline the 10:15 slot, especially as the "home" team.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Trader wrote:Those fixtures change all the time, I don't bother looking until Tuesday arvo.

RE: the CLG timeslot, I believe TTG have the right to decline the 10:15 slot, especially as the "home" team.

Aren't CLG the "home team" since they finished 3rd?

And we tried to refuse the 10:15 timeslot last week. Essentially you play where put
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby zedman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Trader wrote:Those fixtures change all the time, I don't bother looking until Tuesday arvo.

CLG are the home team..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Oh, well that is strange then.
I wonder if CLG don't have an oval available, and as such the offer went to TTG who did?
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby zedman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Trader wrote:Oh, well that is strange then.
I wonder if CLG don't have an oval available, and as such the offer went to TTG who did?

our oval would be available but what jo suggested is probably the ideal set up in regards to officials and supporters being at one venue..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby BigDaddy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:20 pm

The D Grade generally follow the C Grade home team. TTG C Grade are eligible for a home final, so the D grade follow them.
There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but that's the standard logic.
BigDaddy
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Tea Tree Gully

Postby jo172 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:32 pm

BigDaddy wrote:

The D Grade generally follow the C Grade home team. TTG C Grade are eligible for a home final, so the D grade follow them.
There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but that's the standard logic.

Which would make sense except under the current fixture your C Grade is playing as your A Grade's B Grade.

(Yep, a strange alphabetical soup we've got here)
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League