Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Junior Football

Postby locky801 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:35 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Was told by two SANFL umpires last week that that there will be an U16 comp played on Saturday next year to run with the U18 program

A number of us have been told the same thing FE, hoping it is incorrect as it will have a huge impact on our Club and no doubt other clubs within the Junior sphere at that age group
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3707 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 am

I was watching my son's under 10 match on Friday night where I seen the opposition coach and his helper from the sidelines instructing their players to block the man on the mark after a free or mark so the player with the ball could play on, it really was in poor taste.
To add to it, while I was putting my goal umpire things in the team bag the opposition coach gathered his players and instructed them to sing their song louder than our group to drown them out, could've easily waited 15 seconds to do it.
It was pretty disappointing from a club whom I have a tremendous amount of respect for and their coach seemed like a pretty decent bloke with a couple of conversations I had with him during the evening.
We did hear from other clubs that they use the blocking tactic, we just thought they were over-exaggerating.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby cracka » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:22 am

Name & shame I reckon.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:27 am

cracka wrote:Name & shame I reckon.

Na, I'm not going to publicly bad mouth a club over an individual, I would like to think that junior co-ordinators get out and watch their coaches, players and supporters conduct.
It's obviously a game plan and not one I'd endorse for under 10's, for any juniors for that matter. What made it worse is that they didn't know the ruling properly and they were doing it before the player played on, the umpire picked up on it a few times but I think was more shocked than anything to see it happening.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:35 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I was watching my son's under 10 match on Friday night where I seen the opposition coach and his helper from the sidelines instructing their players to block the man on the mark after a free or mark so the player with the ball could play on, it really was in poor taste.

We did hear from other clubs that they use the blocking tactic, we just thought they were over-exaggerating.

Taking the Hawthorn tactics just a tad too far :roll:
locky801
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:41 am

locky801 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I was watching my son's under 10 match on Friday night where I seen the opposition coach and his helper from the sidelines instructing their players to block the man on the mark after a free or mark so the player with the ball could play on, it really was in poor taste.

Sure was, I know your mob wouldn't stand for that, I wonder what the parents actually think? I know I wouldn't hesitate in butting in to express my concerns, I'm not sold on the game plan that our coach has but it is by no means unsportsmanlike, it only retards our own team IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
locky801 wrote:

Sure was, I know your mob wouldn't stand for that, I wonder what the parents actually think? I know I wouldn't hesitate in butting in to express my concerns, I'm not sold on the game plan that our coach has but it is by no means unsportsmanlike, it only retards our own team IMO.

I can understand coaches teaching various tactics and some sort of game plan to these lads but let's focus on the issue here that in Under 10's you are not even playing for premiership points. I know they are at the age where various tactics need to be taught as it is a bit more than just a kick and catch in this grade. Some coaches take their roles just a little too seriously. I know of a couple of sides if you tried that against the poor kid sheperding would probably end up on his butt.

Must admit havent watched much of the younger grades this season and havent seen what you mention in any of the games i have seen, in fact the games i have watched have been of a pretty good standard and no real issues
locky801
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:38 am

locky801 wrote:
I can understand coaches teaching various tactics and some sort of game plan to these lads but let's focus on the issue here that in Under 10's you are not even playing for premiership points. I know they are at the age where various tactics need to be taught as it is a bit more than just a kick and catch in this grade. Some coaches take their roles just a little too seriously. I know of a couple of sides if you tried that against the poor kid sheperding would probably end up on his butt.

Must admit havent watched much of the younger grades this season and havent seen what you mention in any of the games i have seen, in fact the games i have watched have been of a pretty good standard and no real issues

Given that we're closer to the city and play the likes of Broadview, Walkerville & PNU the standard is very high in Under 10's, most coaches have team game plans to suit their strengths which is fine as far as I'm concerned.
To me there's nothing better than seeing a team go coast to coast with a running and clean disposal game regardless of which team it is, I always applaud and barrack for both teams when the kids do something I love to see.
The rules are somewhat of a concern though, they variance from umpire to umpire is too great, it's probably not so much their fault either, the definition of a "wrap" tackle is made to be confusing for everyone.
They aren't supposed to bring a player to the ground when tackling, it's virtually impossible to tackle a player who has momentum while you are on the move too and for neither player to lose balance and fall over, some clubs actually rort the system and purposely go to their knees once tackled to get the free kick, I'm looking forward to Under 11's when they play nearly proper rules.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 pm

What's wrong with shepherding the player on the mark?

Shows that kids are starting to understand the game, doing selfless things that help their team mates.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:56 am

Tony Clifton wrote:What's wrong with shepherding the player on the mark?

Shows that kids are starting to understand the game, doing selfless things that help their team mates.

For starters it's against the rules, you can't encroach on the player on the mark, it's an excluded zone unless you are the recipient of the free kick, secondly, it's under 10's and they don't play for points, I've been involved with coaching and umpiring junior footy for the best part of 20 years and it's unacceptable IMO.
Selfless acts are legal shepherds, handballing to a lesser skilled kid in the goal square to allow him to get a goal.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Once a player plays on though you can shepherd the player on the mark.

Don't really understand how not playing for points makes it any more of an issue. The opposite surely? Any other skills or tactics of the game the kids try to perform are also to help them 'win' as well.

Often kids see something on tv and copy it. A bit like in cricket you see kids in the field sliding for the ball and flicking it back to a chasing team mate. They stuff it up a fair bit and their coaches get angry about it. Shouldn't be doing the fancy stuff that they see tv. Instead of getting their kids to practice it at training so that they can execute it better. I just find it an odd attitude.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:10 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Once a player plays on though you can shepherd the player on the mark.

Don't really understand how not playing for points makes it any more of an issue. The opposite surely? Any other skills or tactics of the game the kids try to perform are also to help them 'win' as well.

Often kids see something on tv and copy it. A bit like in cricket you see kids in the field sliding for the ball and flicking it back to a chasing team mate. They stuff it up a fair bit and their coaches get angry about it. Shouldn't be doing the fancy stuff that they see tv. Instead of getting their kids to practice it at training so that they can execute it better. I just find it an odd attitude.

Firstly, the kids were standing in front of the player standing the mark and being instructed to do so, it's a protected area.
Secondly, under 10's footy is designed to be all about the kids getting a kick and a catch, hence the no scores, as a coach you should be more at getting the lesser skilled, shy players getting their confidence up and staying involved with the game.

Have you had much experience with junior footy? I get your point to some degree and basically it's the league and society make it so sanitised now, at under 10 level all the players know what the "actual" score is and I can't see why they don't play for points, they do in soccer from Under 6's.

I'm sure if you were at the game, you'd see my point. There's plenty of competitive coaches out there at this level who try different game day tactics, it's all good generally and it's healthy for the kids to have some team rules other than kick it to Big Johnny whenever they get it.

It was an ugly look from the sideline, or behind the goals in my case.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:31 pm

Some interesting G/F's coming up this weekend. Might be my aging eyes but seems to be alot more aggression in some of the finals i have witnessed over the last couple of weeks, alot real good, a little not so good
locky801
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:44 am

locky801 wrote:Some interesting G/F's coming up this weekend. Might be my aging eyes but seems to be alot more aggression in some of the finals i have witnessed over the last couple of weeks, alot real good, a little not so good

It's always been the age group for a bit of aggression with the young fella's displaying some testosterone.

Judging by some feeds on Facebook there was a lot of feeling in the game that I'm sure you were referring to.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:19 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
locky801 wrote:Some interesting G/F's coming up this weekend. Might be my aging eyes but seems to be alot more aggression in some of the finals i have witnessed over the last couple of weeks, alot real good, a little not so good

It's always been the age group for a bit of aggression with the young fella's displaying some testosterone.

Judging by some feeds on Facebook there was a lot of feeling in the game that I'm sure you were referring to.

PM me with which game(s) you think i am referring to :lol:
locky801
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League