Worst injury you've seen

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Worst injury you've seen

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Just to take a rest from talking about dying clubs - lets talk about sickening injuries - the worst ones you've seen (or suffered) in all your footy days.

No stories about AFL softies required.

In 20 years, the worst I can say i've seen was when I was training in Country Vic - a young fella landed from taking an uncontested mark and all of a sudden we heard a ripper of a snap and he was in a heap on the ground, with his foot pointing the wrong way and a bone sticking out of his leg.

Poor guy had broken both his tibia and fibula (that's both leg bones for those playing at home) but they snapped so low that he also dislocated and fractured his ankle.

That was back in 1998 - and I've never seen anything that bad since, thank goodness :shock:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Re: Worst injury you've seen

Postby Q. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Dislocated elbow. Serious cringe factor.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Q. wrote:Dislocated elbow. Serious cringe factor.

Agreed. And dislocated Jaw.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:15 pm

i popped a blood vessel in my elbow on a nice cold day that sucked ass so much pain
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby X Runna » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Just to take a rest from talking about dying clubs - lets talk about sickening injuries - the worst ones you've seen (or suffered) in all your footy days.

In 20 years, the worst I can say i've seen was when I was training in Country Vic - a young fella landed from taking an uncontested mark and all of a sudden we heard a ripper of a snap and he was in a heap on the ground, with his foot pointing the wrong way and a bone sticking out of his leg.

Poor guy had broken both his tibia and fibula (that's both leg bones for those playing at home) but they snapped so low that he also dislocated and fractured his ankle.

That was back in 1998 - and I've never seen anything that bad since, thank goodness :shock:

Very similar injury to Jay "Spike" Pointon playing for Para Hills at Golden Grove in 2011. Nearly died after complications a week later. So pleased to see he was able to return to footy mid last year.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:18 pm

I tackled a bloke quite a few years ago that resulted in his ankle dislocating to the point his foot was 90 degrees pointing to his right. It was such a sickening sight. Think it broke too. Nothing sinister in the tackle. Just got his leg pinned between my body and the ground. No one commented that it was a bad tackle ( even to the point I was rewarded a free kick because he was holding the ball ). But I felt pretty bad for the bloke. Especially since it was his first game for the club. Took him 2 -3 years to pull on the boots again. I can still hear the screams. Ouch!
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:22 pm

There's nothing I hate more than reading/hearing about these/watching these the day before a game!
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:25 pm

X Runna wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Just to take a rest from talking about dying clubs - lets talk about sickening injuries - the worst ones you've seen (or suffered) in all your footy days.

Very similar injury to Jay "Spike" Pointon playing for Para Hills at Golden Grove in 2011. Nearly died after complications a week later. So pleased to see he was able to return to footy mid last year.

What happened X-Runna?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby zedman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:27 pm

lad at training last year came out for his first night for the year..we were playing a handball game with tackling, very first ball he grabbed he got tackled..we had had some rain and his leg didnt swivel at all and it remained stuck in the mud..he ended up with the outside of his ankle at the front where you kick the ball..broken ankle in 2 spots..50 guys had to go and train on the other half of the oval as the ambulance had to come onto the ground to remove him as he couldnt move and they gave him a the drip for the pain whilst he was on the ground in agony..he will never play football again..always train and play your next game like it could be your last..you just never know whats coming..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:27 pm

A few years ago refereeing rugby league, a young kid around 17 or 18 was playing first grade and was very good, went to step, got tackled as well and broke his ankle it was around completely the wrong way.. sickening!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:32 pm

I think it was Opie from Gaza a few years ago who did ( i think guessing from the photo) ankle and knee dislocations and the tib fib break. BoP might be able to clarify, but the picture was not pretty at all!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:32 pm

That sounds really nasty eh. To do that much damage at training and un-contested. Does that mean the surface of the ground was bad or he was unlucky to land on it badly?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:36 pm

i also witnessed a bloke from TTG in their D grade who broke his leg ( around the shin area ) after colliding with one of our players. Our player slid on his knees taking a chest mark and the player from TTG had his leg out in front. The sound of the snap was heard by quite a few players and spectators.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby tigerpie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:37 pm

2 that come to mind....mine, snapped acl and dislocated knee after landing in a marking contest. hit the deck and saw my left foot pointing left at 90 degrees from where it should be...hurt a bit.

!2 months later while running for the senior colts, ran past a tackling contest and heard a loud snap. young lads thigh bone had broken and it had pierced through the skin....almost chucked!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:39 pm

tigerpie wrote:2 that come to mind....mine, snapped acl and dislocated knee after landing in a marking contest. hit the deck and saw my left foot pointing left at 90 degrees from where it should be...hurt a bit.

!2 months later while running for the senior colts, ran past a tackling contest and heard a loud snap. young lads thigh bone had broken and it had pierced through the skin....almost chucked!

OMG :shock: That wouldve hurt like anything. Poor kid.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Magnum Force » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:50 pm

2009 reserves grand final i tackled a young bloke from westminster and had his arms pinned, i ended up landing on top of him and as we hit the ground i heard a loud snap. When he tried to get up his forearm was at a 45 degree angle. From memory he screamed a bit and passed out. I ran off the ground and had a spew!
I'm kind of a big deal, people know me
Magnum Force
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Playing against Gaza and a team mate tackled a little guy driving him forward and snapped his arm with bones sticking out.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Johno6 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:02 pm

The injury X Runna is reffering to happened about 1 meter away from me.

Two guys going for the footy, I think Jay and player from our team either both went to kick the footy, not entirely sure but the noise that came next I will never forget.

the guy from our side is a karate teacher or something so strong shins, when both shins connected there was a noise that sounded like a tree branch snapping.

i am lookin at jay while his she is snapped in half.
i did not know what to do, i felt physically ill looking at his leg.

i still have the x ray on my phone, it is insane.

the game ended in a draw
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Johno6 wrote:i still have the x ray on my phone, it is insane

Post them?