Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Re: Your guide to ANZAC day matches

Postby Yank Man » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 pm

jo172 wrote:
beef wrote:Was once a special day to play. Now seems more unique to play on the Saturday. Should only be local rivalries or GF replays. Some of the games being played are just ridiculous.

I agree. Should be no more than 1 per division and the preference should be given to the Grand Final replay.

I guess this year is a bit different because Anzac Day falls on a Friday. 2015 we ALL get to play on that special day. :D :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Cohiba » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:at a local level with so many clubs taking part how many people from these clubs actually taking the time to remember the fallen soliders i think some people have got the day mixed up along the line it snot football day its anzac day

Would be interested for you to tell us who the day mixed up.......
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Cohiba » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm

beef wrote:Was once a special day to play. Now seems more unique to play on the Saturday. Should only be local rivalries or GF replays. Some of the games being played are just ridiculous.

Clubs by definition can possibly cite more than one opposition Clubs with whom it has a rivalry. Some of the true rivalries often find themselves in different divisions......So as far as rivalries so who makes the call.........and for instance what if one or both GF's don't want the Anzac Day Match. Do the other teams in that division get a crack it..... And would the programming for this I presume be sorted out in the off season?
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:03 pm

IMO the clubs who are not prepared to play when ANZAC day falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday shouldn't be hijacking the day when it is on a more convienient day, They are the ones that are using the day as a money making bonanza.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby jo172 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:18 am

Yank Man wrote:
jo172 wrote:

I agree. Should be no more than 1 per division and the preference should be given to the Grand Final replay.

I guess this year is a bit different because Anzac Day falls on a Friday. 2015 we ALL get to play on that special day. :D :D

No public holiday though, so we'll still have something to be dirty about
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:53 am

Suri wrote:Div 2 and 2R - Walkerville v Broadview at Broadies. B's at 12:15, A's at 2:15. Should be a good day of footy.

12.10 & 2.30 start to allow for Anzac Ceremony.

No where does it say that you can't play before midday only no alcohol sales before midday as requested by the RSL

Will be a big day between two old rivalies with the rivalry dating back to 1928 and the 1st meeting between the two club since 1975.

A huge crowd expected for this one!!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby jo172 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:02 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:
Suri wrote:Div 2 and 2R - Walkerville v Broadview at Broadies. B's at 12:15, A's at 2:15. Should be a good day of footy.

12.10 & 2.30 start to allow for Anzac Ceremony.

No where does it say that you can't play before midday only no alcohol sales before midday as requested by the RSL

Will be a big day between two old rivalies with the rivalry dating back to 1928 and the 1st meeting between the two club since 1975.

A huge crowd expected for this one!!!!

Massive rivals having not played one another for 40 years ;)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Will be a big day between two old rivalies with the rivalry dating back to 1928 and the 1st meeting between the two club since 1975

How can you claim a rivalry 39years after the last game? :?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Will be a big day between two old rivalies with the rivalry dating back to 1928 and the 1st meeting between the two club since 1975

i was just thinking the same thing :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

A historic rivalry perhaps - as opposed to a local rival (ie, Portland and Dizzies, or TTG v Modbury) or a traditional rival (ie; SPOC v PAOC, or PNU v Athelstone)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Phantom Gossiper wrote:

A historic rivalry perhaps - as opposed to a local rival (ie, Portland and Dizzies, or TTG v Modbury) or a traditional rival (ie; SPOC v PAOC, or PNU v Athelstone)

A cynic might suggest that Broadview would claim rivalry with whoever it was drawn to play on ANZAC day ;)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

which comes back to some peoples point of why play at all on Anzac day if it isn't against a rival.

We were due to play the Lodge but now we're playing Glenunga, which sort of defeats the purpose but I guess it was out of our control. *no disrespect intended to the good people at Glenunga but lets face it, we don't really have any rivalry.

Anzac Day should be about great battles, which is why I"ve always been of the opinion that no one bar Port v Norwood should play in the SANFL.

One grand final does not a rivalry make....

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Footy Chick wrote:which comes back to some peoples point of why play at all on Anzac day if it isn't against a rival.

We were due to play the Lodge but now we're playing Glenunga, which sort of defeats the purpose but I guess it was out of our control.

Anzac Day should be about great battles, which is why I"ve always been of the opinion that no one bar Port v Norwood should play in the SANFL.

imagine the uproar in the sanfl whinge thread if port got to play on anzac day this year... :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:48 pm

yeah probably a bad example nowdays :lol: but you get the gist...

Footy Chick

Postby S Demon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Footy Chick wrote:which comes back to some peoples point of why play at all on Anzac day if it isn't against a rival.

We were due to play the Lodge but now we're playing Glenunga, which sort of defeats the purpose but I guess it was out of our control. *no disrespect intended to the good people at Glenunga but lets face it, we don't really have any rivalry.

What defines a rivalry then? Our relegation/promotion system makes rivalry very hard to come by doesn't it?
We had some great battles with Glenunga in the early/mid 90's and early 2000's. Let's not forget the epic battle at Hope Valley Oval a coupe of years ago where a few of the boys got closely acquainted with each other at half time in a very tight and hardly fought contest.

We were very keen to play Brahma this year had they stayed in Div 4 as we played them last year on the Thursday at their ground.
I think it's important to show our young players what ANZAC Day means to our country and to so many people. The fact that a lot of teams are playing on Friday is a good thing. Something we are able to do because of what so many others sacrificed in the past. We all have the chance to honour the men and women who have served our country by playing a sport we all love on a day we all cherish

I don't think it should be a day reserved only for special "rivalries" to play football. Everyone should be allowed to play, as long as the reason why they are playing is not lost on them
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:59 pm

As long as the prime theme of the day is to provide acknowledgment and make respect to the hero's who have fought for our rights today then who gives a shit who plays and where.

What can possibly come bad from spreading the message to all generations the Anzac spirit....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Everyone has had some great battles with many clubs - doesn't automatically make you them rivals though.

ALthough by definition, everyone you play is a rival so what's the answer?

I guess there is no right or wrong answer, everyone will always have their own thoughts on the subject.

Footy Chick

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Yes, Port Reserves and Norwood have a huge rivalry of... one game
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Anzac Day

Kenilworth is hosting Woodville South on Anzac Day at St Marys Park

“C” Grade Kenilworth V Woodville South start at 11:00am

“B” Grade Kenilworth V Woodville South start at 2:00pm

ANZAC CEROMONY 3:15pm

“A” Grade Kenilworth V Woodville South start at 3:40pm

Presentation of the Fiore/Cross Cup and Anzac Medals will take place at 5:30pm.

Come and support your team and show our respect to the “ANZACS”
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League