Adelaide Oval Impact on grassroots crowds?

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Adelaide Oval Impact on grassroots crowds?

Postby BigB » Sun May 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Just interested if other clubs have noted a reduction on Saturday arvo crowds at their games when a game is on at Adelaide Oval? Adelaide Oval is a fantastic development but I've noted a couple of our games where we would normally see good numbers attending have been surprisingly quiet - just coincidence a game was on at Adelaide Oval or is there something in this?
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Re: Adelaide Oval Impact on grassroots crowds?

Postby Failed Creation » Sun May 11, 2014 6:46 pm

The opposite question could also be asked too: Are the crowds for Saturday afternoon games at Adelaide Oval smaller because of grassroots footy?

I won't be attending any Saturday afternoon AFL games due to watching local footy.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Boosh » Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm

With Port doing well and crowds on the up, our (North Haven) supporter numbers have been down the last two weeks.

Although we have played two college sides who traditionally bring about 5 people to our side of town.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby BigB » Mon May 12, 2014 12:13 am

I'd never give up my grass roots footy for AFL either.

Just an early observation tho - The Kilburn game we didn't expect a crowd. but our games against Pembroke and Plympton would normally have had good supporter numbers come with the opposition yet the crowd was quite sparse. Interesting. If it is a trend that continues, clubs may have to think about how to counter the Adelaide Oval factor on Saturday arvos.
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Failed Creation » Mon May 12, 2014 12:50 am

BigB wrote:I'd never give up my grass roots footy for AFL either.

Just an early observation tho - The Kilburn game we didn't expect a crowd. but our games against Pembroke and Plympton would normally have had good supporter numbers come with the opposition yet the crowd was quite sparse. Interesting. If it is a trend that continues, clubs may have to think about how to counter the Adelaide Oval factor on Saturday arvos.

Or members of both South Australia's AFL clubs could request that a minimal number of Saturday afternoon games be played at Adelaide Oval. I genuinely believe both clubs think that this timeslot is the most popular, but I think you'd get a lot more bums on seats on a Saturday night, or even a Sunday twilight fixture. The problem with the latter is that some of the older junior clubs would be playing...
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby zedman » Mon May 12, 2014 10:02 am

BigB wrote:I'd never give up my grass roots footy for AFL either.

round 4 game our clubrooms were nowhere near full and one of the worst turnouts i have seen in 3 years and the day included a triple header..the crows were playing at 4.10pm..tv replay starts at approximately 4.40pm..cold day outside and people went home to watch them..it is having some sort of impact and even to the point of some players being N/A because they are going to Adelaide oval to watch games..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Q. » Mon May 12, 2014 10:55 am

zedman wrote:round 4 game our clubrooms were nowhere near full and one of the worst turnouts i have seen in 3 years and the day included a triple header..the crows were playing at 4.10pm..tv replay starts at approximately 4.40pm..cold day outside and people went home to watch them..it is having some sort of impact and even to the point of some players being N/A because they are going to Adelaide oval to watch games..

Hopefully none of them are A-Graders.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon May 12, 2014 11:05 am

Boosh wrote:With Port doing well and crowds on the up, our (North Haven) supporter numbers have been down the last two weeks.

Although we have played two college sides who traditionally bring about 5 people to our side of town.

thats 3 more then they bring to a cricket match lol
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby zedman » Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 am

Q. wrote:
zedman wrote:round 4 game our clubrooms were nowhere near full and one of the worst turnouts i have seen in 3 years and the day included a triple header..the crows were playing at 4.10pm..tv replay starts at approximately 4.40pm..cold day outside and people went home to watch them..it is having some sort of impact and even to the point of some players being N/A because they are going to Adelaide oval to watch games..

Hopefully none of them are A-Graders.

none yet but lost a runner last week!
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 12, 2014 12:50 pm

this has been an issue for years has it not?

Always been a choice between local footy and the AFL. Maybe at the moment there is a bigger impact due to the larger crowds at AO compared with Footy Park.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Failed Creation » Mon May 12, 2014 1:05 pm

bennymacca wrote:this has been an issue for years has it not?

Always been a choice between local footy and the AFL. Maybe at the moment there is a bigger impact due to the larger crowds at AO compared with Footy Park.

Spot on.

Perhaps this is something both our AFL clubs could tackle together.

@bennymacca, how many Saturday afternoon games do you guys have?
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Three home saturday afternoon games, one of those being the twilight game against melbourne which Probably has a lesser effect because if your kids were playing junior footy they could still play in the morning and have time to head off to the AFL. Four if you count the away showdown against port.

Port have 5 by the looks, though one of them was the home twilight showdown, and there is one more Saturday 4.10 game.

So Crows have 2 genuine saturday afternoon games, and the Power 3.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby marbles » Mon May 12, 2014 1:32 pm

lasts weeks adelaide oval crowd was only 36,000 and is said because of the local sporting events
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Failed Creation » Mon May 12, 2014 1:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:Three home saturday afternoon games, one of those being the twilight game against melbourne which Probably has a lesser effect because if your kids were playing junior footy they could still play in the morning and have time to head off to the AFL. Four if you count the away showdown against port.

Port have 5 by the looks, though one of them was the home twilight showdown, and there is one more Saturday 4.10 game.

So Crows have 2 genuine saturday afternoon games, and the Power 3.

I think we can lump all Saturday timeslots into it, bar the 7:10pm spot.

4:10pm is a crappy time for people who play and watch A Grade footy locally, as games don't often finish before 4:30ish.

marbles wrote:lasts weeks adelaide oval crowd was only 36,000 and is said because of the local sporting events

It's this kind of evidence we need to lobby our clubs with, as I'm sure they'd want more bums on seats.
Failed Creation
Coach

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League