2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:08 am

BFG wrote:[

Agree with the culture point about it changing year to year. 2010 was particularly bad at CLG where we had 9 blokes max at training on a thursday night regularly and we still finished 4th. The year after we finished 7th or 8th and had one of the best years off the field ive ever had. While Morell has stated (tongue in cheek........ or not) about the people at CLG, he makes a valid point in that the people at the club and the people that come into the club can drastically effect not only the clubs culture but the club's peformance and reputation as a destination to play. I know we've worked exceedingly hard on the social side at our club to try and build a solid foundation of people that play in lower grades becausse those people that play in your B's and C's that enjoy their footy and enjoy the club atmosphere usually have a mate or knows someone that is handy that could play in your A's in the future. That player is more likely to come and play for you if they are hearing positive things about training, social functions etc.

In saying that location does also play a huge part, being in a 4km radius of MP, Mitcham, Kenilworth, Goodwood, Unley does not bode well for the overall health of ALL of those clubs in terms of player numbers. Being a club like Henley with limited competition around, you don't have to worry about culture AS much. still an issue but becuase of location, those clubs will always have numbers.

There's good and bad at every club, presenting the place as an attractive place to play sports to visitors aswell as keeping your current members happy is paramount for sustainability.
Most players partners would prefer to be at a club that feels homely opposed to travelling for a couple of hours and sitting with people they hardly know.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby morell » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
morell wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Bottom line is that people are your number 1 commodity and if you don't look after them, they will leave, some in search for coin, some for a more attractive culture.
If you enjoy where you are playing, you are less likely to leave, there's no point chasing cash only to go back to your original club on a Saturday night because that's where your mates are.
Define an attractive culture? One persons attractive culture is another’s nightmare. Cultures are also dynamic. I’ve been at Mitchell Park and hated the culture one year, the next year it was great. Recruitment and playing stocks did not in any way correlate to my personal impressions of the culture either.

I don’t disagree that if your club is full of bell ends, eventually it wouldn’t result in a positive outcome, but its not as easy as just having the place full of good people. Otherwise Mitchell Park would be in D2 and CLG would be in C4…. :P

The young lads become fathers and what once seemed like a good laugh becomes not real suitable for a young family. Creating a good family atmosphere on a Saturday night keeps everyone happy and creates a good culture.
You and many others are exceptions, you love your club wholeheartedly whereas others wouldn't have the same tolerance, I was like that for many years but gave in and seen life was far more rewarding not dedicating every spare minute to a club.
So a good club culture is one with a family atmosphere? If so Mitchell Park has a great football culture - the place is full of families - why are we languishing in D7?

What if your club needs to attract 20 year old men? There are many clubs which have the perception of having a club culture which is based on having a good time, keeping fit, attracting girls, being tough and winning flags. Is that a “bad” culture? We have some cool new kids on the block this year. I am actually contemplating ways to freshen the place up for them and keep their designer chinos away from the ice cream covered fingers of our toddler brigade. Even for me, I'm not a fan of kids, especially loud annoying messy ones. I struggle at the club at time to restrain from booting the little humans up the arse, I love the nights which are players only and we can be crass, gross and ourselves.

That’s the exact point I was trying to make, you cannot compare club cultures and say one is better or worse than the other. They either work (or don’t work) for that particular club given that particular clubs circumstances and vision for what it wants to be.
Last edited by morell on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:11 am

morell wrote:
The young lads become fathers and what once seemed like a good laugh becomes not real suitable for a young family. Creating a good family atmosphere on a Saturday night keeps everyone happy and creates a good culture.
You and many others are exceptions, you love your club wholeheartedly whereas others wouldn't have the same tolerance, I was like that for many years but gave in and seen life was far more rewarding not dedicating every spare minute to a club.
So a good club culture is one with a family atmosphere? If so Mitchell Park has a great football culture - the place is full of families - why are we languishing in D7?

What if your club needs to attract 20 year old men? There are many clubs which have the perception of having a club culture which is based on having a good time, keeping fit, attracting girls, being tough and winning flags. Is that a “bad” culture? We have some cool new kids on the block this year. I am actually contemplating ways to freshen the place up for them and keep their designer chinos away from the ice cream covered fingers of our toddler brigade.

That’s the exact point I was trying to make, you cannot compare club cultures and say one is better or worse than the other. They either work (or don’t work) for that particular club given that particular clubs circumstances and vision for what it wants to be.[/quote]
Every club needs to attract 20 year olds.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:13 am

Well exactly. When you were 20 did you want to be around families on a Saturday night?
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:20 am

BFG wrote:
morell wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Bottom line is that people are your number 1 commodity and if you don't look after them, they will leave, some in search for coin, some for a more attractive culture.
If you enjoy where you are playing, you are less likely to leave, there's no point chasing cash only to go back to your original club on a Saturday night because that's where your mates are.
Define an attractive culture? One persons attractive culture is another’s nightmare. Cultures are also dynamic. I’ve been at Mitchell Park and hated the culture one year, the next year it was great. Recruitment and playing stocks did not in any way correlate to my personal impressions of the culture either.

I don’t disagree that if your club is full of bell ends, eventually it wouldn’t result in a positive outcome, but its not as easy as just having the place full of good people. Otherwise Mitchell Park would be in D2 and CLG would be in C4…. :P

Agree with the culture point about it changing year to year. 2010 was particularly bad at CLG where we had 9 blokes max at training on a thursday night regularly and we still finished 4th. The year after we finished 7th or 8th and had one of the best years off the field ive ever had. While Morell has stated (tongue in cheek........ or not) about the people at CLG, he makes a valid point in that the people at the club and the people that come into the club can drastically effect not only the clubs culture but the club's peformance and reputation as a destination to play. I know we've worked exceedingly hard on the social side at our club to try and build a solid foundation of people that play in lower grades becausse those people that play in your B's and C's that enjoy their footy and enjoy the club atmosphere usually have a mate or knows someone that is handy that could play in your A's in the future. That player is more likely to come and play for you if they are hearing positive things about training, social functions etc.

In saying that location does also play a huge part, being in a 4km radius of MP, Mitcham, Kenilworth, Goodwood, Unley does not bode well for the overall health of ALL of those clubs in terms of player numbers. Being a club like Henley with limited competition around, you don't have to worry about culture AS much. still an issue but becuase of location, those clubs will always have numbers.
Was definitely tongue in cheek mate. there are some great people at CLG. Well, at least two. :lol:

but yeah top post, i'm glad there is at least someone else on the same wavelength.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:26 am

We just built a baby changing room in the clubrooms :D
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby BFG » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:51 am

morell wrote:
BFG wrote:
morell wrote:

Was definitely tongue in cheek mate. there are some great people at CLG. Well, at least two. :lol:

but yeah top post, i'm glad there is at least someone else on the same wavelength.

I think you guys will find with Mitchell park as an area changing at a rapid rate in terms of its demographic. I live about 200m from the oval and the surrounding area is starting to look like a designed community the way the new houses are going up. Young married couple move in and their kids wanna play sport, easy to just walk over the road.
BFG
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:37 pm

morell wrote:Well exactly. When you were 20 did you want to be around families on a Saturday night?

For awards, yes, we made sure we acted civil enough at the club and got a bit loose once we headed out for the evening.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby adr107 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Q. wrote:We just built a baby changing room in the clubrooms :D

Correction, we just built a 'multi-purpose' changeroom in the clubrooms...
adr107
Under 16s

Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Q. » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:56 pm

adr107 wrote:
Q. wrote:We just built a baby changing room in the clubrooms :D

Correction, we just built a 'multi-purpose' changeroom in the clubrooms...

I like how Mr Snrub thinks.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:36 pm

jo172 wrote:
Your idea, in practice would just result in what happens in Melbourne and you would get University White and University Black, PAC White and PAC Black etc.

Is that a problem?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby jo172 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Your idea, in practice would just result in what happens in Melbourne and you would get University White and University Black, PAC White and PAC Black etc.

Is that a problem?

It would be counter-productive to what Morell is trying to achieve thereby bringing in the question as to why change?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:39 pm

jo172 wrote:

Is that a problem?

Well it allowed the Original VFL club Fitzroy to become an active playing club again when they merged with University Red.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:41 pm

jo172 wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Is that a problem?

It would be counter-productive to what Morell is trying to achieve thereby bringing in the question as to why change?

More A-Grade teams rather than meaningless C-Grade teams fighting for false glories - would be a positive.

Unless there is an agenda to just create super clubs and stuff the rest.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby jo172 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:43 pm

jo172 wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Is that a problem?

More A-Grade teams rather than meaningless C-Grade teams fighting for false glories - would be a positive.

Unless there is an agenda to just create super clubs and stuff the rest.

Why is an A Grade team winning Div 8 rather than a C Grade team winning Div 8 a positive?

And my point is that those clubs would be different in name only
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby morell » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 pm

jo172 wrote:Why is an A Grade team winning Div 8 rather than a C Grade team winning Div 8 a positive?

And my point is that those clubs would be different in name only
:shock:

and therein lies the problem me thinks.
morell
Coach

Postby Jetters » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:50 pm

morell wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Marbles, you've got your little C grade Super League, now will you please go and take your nonsense to that thread and leave the 'A grade Divisions' for the 'A grade folk' and rid us of the rubbish that we are subjected to when your fingers come in contact with your keyboard..

You're insistence that clubs 'Stop relying on div 1 or 2 clubs to survive' is potentially the most ridiculous thing I have read from a 'C grader'..

Maybe if every club was limited to 2 senior teams only, then there would be more clubs and more players to go around for these clubs struggling to get 2 teams together.

You can't punish the strong clubs that do the right thing and attract players just to prop up clubs that obviously don't provide a stable enough environment for players to stick around.
I don't buy the argument that one club is better or worse than another club in terms of environment and culture at any one time and that all any club has to do is "the right thing" and the players will flock to you. It's a very simplistic attitude typical of clubs which have been kissed on the dick either in regards to money or location or both.

The work I did to support this theory using demographics and location correlated to divisional rank is one metric for example. In general, the more playing age males you had within reach of your clubs location, the higher your club was on the divisional ladder.

You are just so, so, so wrong.

You sound exactly like someone who has only every been at a struggling club and not experienced both sides of the coin.... oh wait...

In 2009 we were effectively in Div 5 (Edwardstown leaving bumped us back up), we effectively had 2 teams (the Cs were all fill ins and were lucky to kick a goal). In 2015 we are Div 2 and have 4 sides.

The off field working of our club is absolutely chalk and cheese. What you have said disregards the hard work done by so many at my club and others.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Jetters » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:59 pm

if some of the larger clubs couldn't field so many teams, it absolutely would help other struggling clubs pick up players. We see it in juniors all the time...

You know absolutely nothing.

In the junior league your club is involved we dont see it all the time.... we are continually frustrated by how little we see it. We have a ton of rules encouraging what you have suggested, but its only when the club 'builds it' that those players come. Colonel Light Gardens are a great example of this.

Players are far, far more likely to go to a big club on a 'train only' basis and hope for a spot for the following year than go to a weaker club.

In seniors these rules are inappropriate and to say that its simple math about there being so many footballers to share round is so flawed.
Last edited by Jetters on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Jetters wrote:You are just so, so, so wrong.

You sound exactly like someone who has only every been at a struggling club and not experienced both sides of the coin.... oh wait...

In 2009 we were effectively in Div 5 (Edwardstown leaving bumped us back up), we effectively had 2 teams (the Cs were all fill ins and were lucky to kick a goal). In 2015 we are Div 2 and have 4 sides.

The off field working of our club is absolutely chalk and cheese. What you have said disregards the hard work done by so many at my club and others.

And merging with a college for mass 0 pointers doesn't hurt ;)
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times

Postby Jetters » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:01 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
Jetters wrote:You are just so, so, so wrong.

And merging with a college for mass 0 pointers doesn't hurt ;)

This does not apply to a single player at our club
Jetters
Reserves

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League