Under 18 penalties.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Under 18 penalties.

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Pag wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I had OP in the early-2000s. Just before it became a common diagnosis.
I could play on a Saturday but couldn't run again until about Thursday, if I was lucky.
Lots of assumptions were made about my general attitude to training but I just couldn't run.
On Sundays, I could barely walk.

Once it started being diagnosed, a lot of what I came through all of a sudden made sense.

I had it for a whole season in 99, I missed a few games here and there to try and be ok for the Grand Final. It was excruciating so I wore skins and at every break the trainer had a bag of ice that I'd shove down the front of my skins to try and get through the next quarter.
It helped me short term but it's hard to describe the pain, I remember playing one game where I started in the centre and I did not kick the ball once for the entire match, 26 handballs.
I just found my stride shortened, could never get past half pace. My kick shortened in length. Had no ability to sprint off the mark.

Unforunately, these traits have never returned 100%.

I hope it all goes well for you mate, I never got mine properly treated, I retired from the game pretty early as my hammy's went ping too often at practice on cold nights. It didn't help that the coach would talk for too long in between exercise's, the last one was the sealer, I couldn't sit down to crap for nearly a week.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Q. » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:13 pm

I'd be in the clubrooms after training and have to lean against the bar to stay upright.

That was over five years ago now. Core strength is through the roof now, and while I still feel it here and there, it's nowhere near as debilitating.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Pag » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I had OP in the early-2000s. Just before it became a common diagnosis.
I could play on a Saturday but couldn't run again until about Thursday, if I was lucky.
Lots of assumptions were made about my general attitude to training but I just couldn't run.
On Sundays, I could barely walk.

Once it started being diagnosed, a lot of what I came through all of a sudden made sense.

I had it for a whole season in 99, I missed a few games here and there to try and be ok for the Grand Final. It was excruciating so I wore skins and at every break the trainer had a bag of ice that I'd shove down the front of my skins to try and get through the next quarter.
It helped me short term but it's hard to describe the pain, I remember playing one game where I started in the centre and I did not kick the ball once for the entire match, 26 handballs.
I just found my stride shortened, could never get past half pace. My kick shortened in length. Had no ability to sprint off the mark.

Unforunately, these traits have never returned 100%.

I hope it all goes well for you mate, I never got mine properly treated, I retired from the game pretty early as my hammy's went ping too often at practice on cold nights. It didn't help that the coach would talk for too long in between exercise's, the last one was the sealer, I couldn't sit down to crap for nearly a week.
After half-time is the hardest part of my week, but it's my own fault. I had people around me at 16-17 telling me to slow down, but you think you're indestructible, and your loyal to your mates who you've played your whole childhood with, so you keep playing the two games a weekend even if you should've given it up.

Like I said, I had people around me giving me good advice, I just didn't listen.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Pag wrote:
After half-time is the hardest part of my week, but it's my own fault. I had people around me at 16-17 telling me to slow down, but you think you're indestructible, and your loyal to your mates who you've played your whole childhood with, so you keep playing the two games a weekend even if you should've given it up.

Like I said, I had people around me giving me good advice, I just didn't listen.

Youth: Bulletproof.

We've all been there mate and paying the penalties now, whether it be cricket or football, I didn't think of my later years at all.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:46 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:

Youth: Bulletproof.

We've all been there mate and paying the penalties now, whether it be cricket or football, I didn't think of my later years at all.

Yep who would have thought that a serious ankle roll (7 years ago) would cause me 4 months of grief :evil:

Lesson to be learned always seek medical advice and maybe get a scan or 2 just to be sure....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:14 pm

This has gone from an under 18 issue to a whingeing old bastards thread ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Youth: Bulletproof.

Pfft.. speak for yourself, I can still produce quality 20 over spells regularly 8) :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks all, hopefully once the x rays get back & he's got a better idea of treatment he can go on, (still a rough chance it's a hernia) 21's still pretty young & he's been playing from 7 years of age both club & school except matric where he dropped club & just played 1st 18's.
Have a 16yo who looks like playing either 18's or 16's & will be playing 1st's for school, have to try to pull him back & modify his training.
Have had a bit to do with junior club footy & the amount of kids playing today who played 3 games every weekend in u15's & 16's is minimal, all have either broken down or lost interest straight after school.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:29 pm

Interesting to see that Broadies knocked off Groves on the weekend.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby ezydoesitbigfella » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Interesting to see that Broadies knocked off Groves on the weekend.

And more penalties to be forthcoming from this game.
ezydoesitbigfella
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Hefty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:39 pm

ezydoesitbigfella wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Interesting to see that Broadies knocked off Groves on the weekend.

Yeah I heard one of our lads got punched behind play. Wasn't there just going from what I heard at training last nite.
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Hefty wrote:
ezydoesitbigfella wrote:

Yeah I heard one of our lads got punched behind play. Wasn't there just going from what I heard at training last nite.

Name? I know a couple Broadies players have pushed the boundaries this year already.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Hefty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Hefty wrote:
ezydoesitbigfella wrote:

Name? I know a couple Broadies players have pushed the boundaries this year already.

Last edited by Hefty on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 pm

We don't give names on this website if reports are involved thanks , especially if the cases haven't been heard yet and especially if you weren't there :?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Hefty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Footy Chick wrote:We don't give names on this website if reports are involved thanks , especially if the cases haven't been heard yet and especially if you weren't there :?

No names were given......

Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Jeez, what is wrong with some proactive actions before it gets out of control :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Hefty wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:We don't give names on this website if reports are involved thanks , especially if the cases haven't been heard yet and especially if you weren't there :?

No names were given......

Ive actually got one of those t-shirts :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby ezydoesitbigfella » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Yeah I heard one of our lads got punched behind play. Wasn't there just going from what I heard at training last nite.[/quote]

Name? I know a couple Broadies players have pushed the boundaries this year already.[/quote]

I believe it was one of the Sudanese lads........don't know name.[/quote]

Get your facts right before you open your gob mate. Look at the SAAFL tribunal outcomes this week. You'll look like the fool you must be.
ezydoesitbigfella
Rookie

Postby ezydoesitbigfella » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:09 pm

And Hefty......look within your own club...
ezydoesitbigfella
Rookie

Postby Hefty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:18 pm

ezydoesitbigfella wrote:And Hefty......look within your own club...

What should I be looking for??
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League