Under 18 penalties.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Under 18 penalties.

Postby Demon Juke » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 pm

beeroclock wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Have seen Golden Grove play the last two weeks and they have played inspired football in beating the No. 1 & 2 ranked teams.

Made PNU look very ordinary last week after PNU made a mess of TTG the week before. Then for Golden Grove to knock off TTG at TTG was very impressive after TTG got with in a point at 1/2 time before GG jumped out to a 4 goal lead just before 3/4 time then TTG pegged them back in the last 1/4 and reduced it to less than a goal with under a minute remaining.

Golden Grove could be the upset special in this grade if they are on song. Still a long way to go but should be an interesting finals series this year in the U18 Red

And the Farm boys knocked GG off a couple of weeks back.
I reckon Broadies are the best team at full strength in the comp.

I no Broadies have had a lot injuries in the seniors so a lot of there u18's have played 2 games a week for a lot of weeks, more than they wanted to play them, maybe this might hurt them come finals time.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:23 am

Demon Juke wrote:
beeroclock wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Have seen Golden Grove play the last two weeks and they have played inspired football in beating the No. 1 & 2 ranked teams.

Made PNU look very ordinary last week after PNU made a mess of TTG the week before. Then for Golden Grove to knock off TTG at TTG was very impressive after TTG got with in a point at 1/2 time before GG jumped out to a 4 goal lead just before 3/4 time then TTG pegged them back in the last 1/4 and reduced it to less than a goal with under a minute remaining.

Golden Grove could be the upset special in this grade if they are on song. Still a long way to go but should be an interesting finals series this year in the U18 Red

And the Farm boys knocked GG off a couple of weeks back.
I reckon Broadies are the best team at full strength in the comp.

I no Broadies have had a lot injuries in the seniors so a lot of there u18's have played 2 games a week for a lot of weeks, more than they wanted to play them, maybe this might hurt them come finals time.

I think you'll find that quite a few U18's are playing 2 games a week. More and more clubs seem to be relying on there U18's in recent years to help fill there senior sides. PNU had 10 U18's playing seniors on Saturday.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am

Blackwhite wrote:I think you'll find that quite a few U18's are playing 2 games a week. More and more clubs seem to be relying on there U18's in recent years to help fill there senior sides. PNU had 10 U18's playing seniors on Saturday.

Yep we have plenty of our 18's playing on the Saturday as well. Wouldn't say we rely on them though, but if they're good enough to play senior football - especially A grade then they will be given opportunities.

Some very talented kids running around in the 18's comp that's for sure.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Demon Juke » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
I think you'll find that quite a few U18's are playing 2 games a week. More and more clubs seem to be relying on there U18's in recent years to help fill there senior sides. PNU had 10 U18's playing seniors on Saturday.

Yep we have plenty of our 18's playing on the Saturday as well. Wouldn't say we rely on them though, but if they're good enough to play senior football - especially A grade then they will be given opportunities.

Some very talented kids running around in the 18's comp that's for sure.

Yeah I don't have a issue of them playing seniors but i think this hurts your u18's sometimes, I think some time you need to watch low many games they are playing when it is wet. So the kids are not burning out towards the finals in what ever grade they play.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Demon Juke wrote:Yeah I don't have a issue of them playing seniors but i think this hurts your u18's sometimes, I think some time you need to watch low many games they are playing when it is wet. So the kids are not burning out towards the finals in what ever grade they play.

Agreed, think we have managed our 18's well this year. Having said that now their finals hopes are shot no need to worry :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Demon Juke » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
Demon Juke wrote:Yeah I don't have a issue of them playing seniors but i think this hurts your u18's sometimes, I think some time you need to watch low many games they are playing when it is wet. So the kids are not burning out towards the finals in what ever grade they play.

Agreed, think we have managed our 18's well this year. Having said that now their finals hopes are shot no need to worry :lol:

Some of them will play finals in the a/b 's so that will be good for them, it could be a benefit to your senior sides that they don't have to worry about u18's finals.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Saves some headaches at least, I believe if one of the kids was playing A grade finals that would take priority over 18's finals..

We are fortunate most our 18's are bottom age and have another season of 18's.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Yep management of the players is the key. I know some U18 players that have played 80+ games in the last 2 seasons. Having played U18's and reserves myself every week this year I know it takes a huge toll on the body. Glad I have the whole weekend off to recover for what should be a great finals series.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:31 am

Blackwhite wrote:[Having played U18's and reserves myself every week this year I know it takes a huge toll on the body. Glad I have the whole weekend off to recover for what should be a great finals series.

What till you get to my age.. Playing more than one game a weekend was easy when I was that age, now it takes me a week to recover from a Tuesday night training session! :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Pag » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:47 am

Having done three years of A Grade/U17s, with two games every weekend, I can safely say that I would encourage no kid to do both. I had OP by the time I was 21 due to over-work and have been injury plagued ever since. My doctor at Sportsmed made the call to me that for every season you play two games a weekend, the actual toll on the body is worth three seasons. By that thought process, I had a 27-year old body at 18.

I hope clubs are doing their best to manage kids appropriately for the long-term and don't burn them out.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am

Pag wrote:Having done three years of A Grade/U17s, with two games every weekend, I can safely say that I would encourage no kid to do both. I had OP by the time I was 21 due to over-work and have been injury plagued ever since. My doctor at Sportsmed made the call to me that for every season you play two games a weekend, the actual toll on the body is worth three seasons. By that thought process, I had a 27-year old body at 18.

I hope clubs are doing their best to manage kids appropriately for the long-term and don't burn them out.

Totally agree. One area that I think clubs can assist with managing kids is with training. Not sure about other clubs, but I know Ingle Farm 18's train on two seperate nights from the seniors so the lads who want to play seniors end up training 4 nights a week + the 2 games. From experience, the training component plays just as much part in burn out as the games. Not only burning out physically, but mentally, losing the passion and drive to commit.

Playing more than one game a weekend definiately catches up with you, and although i've been fortunate to not become injury prone or have great issues with injury, i have struggled to manage to get as much out of my body as I used to and getting fit (and maintaining) is increasingly difficult.

Glad you understand though Pag - nothing annoys me more than when you are really sore/struggling and someone says "Oh but you're only xx years old" :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Pag wrote:Having done three years of A Grade/U17s, with two games every weekend, I can safely say that I would encourage no kid to do both. I had OP by the time I was 21 due to over-work and have been injury plagued ever since. My doctor at Sportsmed made the call to me that for every season you play two games a weekend, the actual toll on the body is worth three seasons. By that thought process, I had a 27-year old body at 18.

How long did the OP keep you out Pag? My son is 21 & has just been diagnosed played 2 games feeling it but is a scratching for the rest of the season.
He did get some advice from a team mate who tried to push through it but has lost a season & a half.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Q. » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:

How long did the OP keep you out Pag? My son is 21 & has just been diagnosed played 2 games feeling it but is a scratching for the rest of the season.
He did get some advice from a team mate who tried to push through it but has lost a season & a half.

There's 101 different opinions on how to fix OP. Which one/s were you given?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 am

Will know when the x rays come back
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Pag » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 am

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:

I just thought it was soreness and pushed through for about a month, when i got to the point I couldn't jog to the bench to come off I knew I was done, this was in June, and after a couple of injections that did nothing. I had the rest of the year (6 months) off all physical activity completely, didnt even jog. Slowly built up from January onwards ( a month of walking, a month of walk/jog/walk, a month of jog/walk/jog etc). Played again in June, so basically 12 months of footy.

Never disappears completely though, the general groin soreness will linger forever I think.
Pag
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:05 am

I had OP in the early-2000s. Just before it became a common diagnosis.
I could play on a Saturday but couldn't run again until about Thursday, if I was lucky.
Lots of assumptions were made about my general attitude to training but I just couldn't run.
On Sundays, I could barely walk.

Once it started being diagnosed, a lot of what I came through all of a sudden made sense.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby beeroclock » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:10 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

Totally agree. One area that I think clubs can assist with managing kids is with training. Not sure about other clubs, but I know Ingle Farm 18's train on two seperate nights from the seniors so the lads who want to play seniors end up training 4 nights a week + the 2 games. From experience, the training component plays just as much part in burn out as the games. Not only burning out physically, but mentally, losing the passion and drive to commit.

Playing more than one game a weekend definiately catches up with you, and although i've been fortunate to not become injury prone or have great issues with injury, i have struggled to manage to get as much out of my body as I used to and getting fit (and maintaining) is increasingly difficult.

Glad you understand though Pag - nothing annoys me more than when you are really sore/struggling and someone says "Oh but you're only xx years old" :lol:

I know I was extremely worried about my lad training more than twice a week and playing twice on weekends.
Unfortunately the U/18s coaches also need numbers on the track and you really have to fight the guilt part of them not being with their Sunday side for training sessions.
End of the day the kids need management but the kid doesn't understand that.
Sometimes you just have to make a stand for their safety.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Pag wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:

I just thought it was soreness and pushed through for about a month, when i got to the point I couldn't jog to the bench to come off I knew I was done, this was in June, and after a couple of injections that did nothing. I had the rest of the year (6 months) off all physical activity completely, didnt even jog. Slowly built up from January onwards ( a month of walking, a month of walk/jog/walk, a month of jog/walk/jog etc). Played again in June, so basically 12 months of footy.

Never disappears completely though, the general groin soreness will linger forever I think.

Deep heat.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I had OP in the early-2000s. Just before it became a common diagnosis.
I could play on a Saturday but couldn't run again until about Thursday, if I was lucky.
Lots of assumptions were made about my general attitude to training but I just couldn't run.

Once it started being diagnosed, a lot of what I came through all of a sudden made sense.

I had it for a whole season in 99, I missed a few games here and there to try and be ok for the Grand Final. It was excruciating so I wore skins and at every break the trainer had a bag of ice that I'd shove down the front of my skins to try and get through the next quarter.
It helped me short term but it's hard to describe the pain, I remember playing one game where I started in the centre and I did not kick the ball once for the entire match, 26 handballs.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Pag » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I had OP in the early-2000s. Just before it became a common diagnosis.

I had it for a whole season in 99, I missed a few games here and there to try and be ok for the Grand Final. It was excruciating so I wore skins and at every break the trainer had a bag of ice that I'd shove down the front of my skins to try and get through the next quarter.
It helped me short term but it's hard to describe the pain, I remember playing one game where I started in the centre and I did not kick the ball once for the entire match, 26 handballs.
I just found my stride shortened, could never get past half pace. My kick shortened in length. Had no ability to sprint off the mark.

Unforunately, these traits have never returned 100%.
Pag
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League