Coaches worth

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Coaches worth

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:13 am

Been hearing some amazing figures being bandied around for coaches in the SAAFL. Got me thinking about what a coach is worth. Lets not make this a I heard "X" gets paid $10000 a year and "Y" gets $7000 a year. More interested in what people think coaches should be paid in each division.

Heres my thoughts.

Div 1 - What ever you can get and the club can afford. Would think most coaches get $6K - $8K range or $333.33 a game to $444.44 ( all based on 18 games no finals). These guys are either proven or played a pretty high level and should have a sound knowledge of the game.

Div 2-3 - I think you would pay around the $4K to $5K range. Again $222.22 to $277.77 a game. You can take a punt on a few untried coaches at this level. Most coaches would have played SAAFL before and have a reasonable understanding of the game.

Div 4-5 - Should not be paying over $3K to the coach. $166.66 per game. Most made up of guys who played SAAFL at either the club they are coaching or a reasonable level. Get by a lot on reputation but are mostly untried when it comes to the coaching game. A lot of ex captains of clubs end up coaching at this level.

Div 6-7 - Should be paying $2K max. $111.11 a game. A lot of guys are doing it for the love of the game or the club at this level and deserve to be rewarded in some way. At this level you need someone who can recruit and get guys to your club. Not a lot of clubs in this grade have promising junior program ( I said not a lot but there are a few).

Overall these coaches probably spend 10 hours a week and should be rewarded but when you hear of Div 5 and 6 clubs being asked up to $10000 a year to coach them it makes you laugh.

Just my thoughts.
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Re: Coaches worth

Postby morell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 am

I have heard rumours a newly hired D5 coach is on excess of $16k/annum.

Absolutely laughable.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:18 am

lovetotalkfooty wrote:Been hearing some amazing figures being bandied around for coaches in the SAAFL. Got me thinking about what a coach is worth. Lets not make this a I heard "X" gets paid $10000 a year and "Y" gets $7000 a year. More interested in what people think coaches should be paid in each division.

Heres my thoughts.

Div 1 - What ever you can get and the club can afford. Would think most coaches get $6K - $8K range or $333.33 a game to $444.44 ( all based on 18 games no finals). These guys are either proven or played a pretty high level and should have a sound knowledge of the game.

Div 2-3 - I think you would pay around the $4K to $5K range. Again $222.22 to $277.77 a game. You can take a punt on a few untried coaches at this level. Most coaches would have played SAAFL before and have a reasonable understanding of the game.

Div 4-5 - Should not be paying over $3K to the coach. $166.66 per game. Most made up of guys who played SAAFL at either the club they are coaching or a reasonable level. Get by a lot on reputation but are mostly untried when it comes to the coaching game. A lot of ex captains of clubs end up coaching at this level.

Div 6-7 - Should be paying $2K max. $111.11 a game. A lot of guys are doing it for the love of the game or the club at this level and deserve to be rewarded in some way. At this level you need someone who can recruit and get guys to your club. Not a lot of clubs in this grade have promising junior program ( I said not a lot but there are a few).

Overall these coaches probably spend 10 hours a week and should be rewarded but when you hear of Div 5 and 6 clubs being asked up to $10000 a year to coach them it makes you laugh.

Just my thoughts.

10 hours a week? I would think it could be up to 25 hours a week. I worked out that when I coached with phone calls, planning and time away from home I got about 20c an hour. And even then I think I wasnt able to dedicate enough time to it.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 am

I think looking at coaches value on a per game/per season basis probably represents a poor measure for determining value. What you should be considering is how many hours that particular person is willing to put into your football club (per week) and the value of their hours.

Our coach spends 25-30 hours per week involved in our football club. It is impossible to be able to fairly compensate him for the time he puts in.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Cohiba » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:36 am

lovetotalkfooty wrote:Been hearing some amazing figures being bandied around for coaches in the SAAFL. Got me thinking about what a coach is worth. Lets not make this a I heard "X" gets paid $10000 a year and "Y" gets $7000 a year. More interested in what people think coaches should be paid in each division.

Heres my thoughts.

Just my thoughts.

10 hours per week :shock: :shock: ...Money for jam if that's the case......

What's a coach worth? What's a premiership worth ? Leadership, influencing Club Culture, and measured success determines a Coaches worth IMO. Affordability based on the Division has less relevance when trying to determine that worth. If you go bankrupt at any level....game over. You offer what you can in any Division and the applicant will say either yay or nay.....Go from there.
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby BurraBoys » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Great topic for conversation. I'll need to gather my thoughts before making a decent contribution but from those who have contributed already, I'd echo similar sentiments. How much is a premiership worth? What is your total football department budget and how does coach salary sit within that as a percentage? Some of the larger figures being thrown around I actually find quite reasonable.

Id be interested to hear how people feel a coach should be reimbursed compared to the highest payed player at the club. Interesting to see the respect/power dynamic if the senior coach is getting reimbursed less than the highest payed player. Considering the time, responsibility etc, I would not find it unreasonable to a coach to expect 10-20% more than the highest payed player. Really depends on the individual and their motivations. Are they a club legend that wants to do it for next to nothing, or are they a well qualified individual with aspirations of coaching at a higher level? Are they genuinely looking at a coaching as a second income?

I know of of one country coach that uses all of his reimbursement on personal coaching development, the development of his assistant and the betterment of facilities to help the player group. Be interested to know how many others do similar.
Wise man say forgivness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza
BurraBoys
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby twobob » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Morell do you honestly believe that an A5 club is financial enough to be able to afford in excess of $16k for a coach. It sounds like late night front bar talk to me. If you believe that please come down to my car yard as i am sure i have a bargain sitting on the lot with your name on it. The rubbish you read at this time of year is incredible. Come on guys this is a great platform for the SAAFL clubs to interact so please keep it credible.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:09 pm

morell wrote:I have heard rumours a newly hired D5 coach is on excess of $16k/annum.

Absolutely laughable.

Did you not read this bit? :?

LTTF wrote:Lets not make this a I heard "X" gets paid $10000 a year and "Y" gets $7000 a year. More interested in what people think coaches should be paid in each division
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby twobob » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Sorry FC i did not, thank you for retaining sensibility to this forum.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:15 pm

twobob wrote:Morell do you honestly believe that an A5 club is financial enough to be able to afford in excess of $16k for a coach. It sounds like late night front bar talk to me. If you believe that please come down to my car yard as i am sure i have a bargain sitting on the lot with your name on it. The rubbish you read at this time of year is incredible. Come on guys this is a great platform for the SAAFL clubs to interact so please keep it credible.

I still have written proof of what one certain coach was paid in his first year at his club, which was in D4 at the time (and that was 10 years ago) and it was in the above price range.

No rubbish.

and no thanks, I don't need a car.

Even with what he's bought to the club (which is a hell of a lot) I tend to agree that $15k + for a lower grade coach is excessive, no matter who it is.

and if they are demanding that type of cash in the lower divs then one would question whether the coach is in it for the right reasons.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Arch44 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:34 pm

I coach reserves in Div 6 and get a little more than what you think Div 6 and 7 coaches should be getting. Having said that majority of it gets put back in to the club Saturday nights any way. When you look at from when pre season starts to round 1 the chasing of players and the petrol etc. for varied training venues twice a week and even picking up the young blokes to get them there that don't drive. I think it evens out once the games have started and we start getting paid.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Pag » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:40 pm

I would think the figures that LTTF stated at the top of the thread would be very, very conservative for the general SAAFL population.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Whilst it is still called the South Australian Amateur Football League, $0

If they do not change the official name (not just adopt some branding), they should go back to the following definition for eligibility of players:

1 Anyone who has never taken part in a football match or any other form of athletics for a stake or money prize.
2 Anyone who has never earned or partially earned his living by playing football or any other form of athletics, or taken money either directly or indirectly, in recognition of his skill therein.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:49 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

If they do not change the official name (not just adopt some branding), they should go back to the following definition for eligibility of players:

1 Anyone who has never taken part in a football match or any other form of athletics for a stake or money prize.
2 Anyone who has never earned or partially earned his living by playing football or any other form of athletics, or taken money either directly or indirectly, in recognition of his skill therein.

What has the definition of the eligibility of players got to do with anything. :roll:
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Cohiba » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

Talking about coaches....not players...... ;)
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
twobob wrote:Morell do you honestly believe that an A5 club is financial enough to be able to afford in excess of $16k for a coach. It sounds like late night front bar talk to me. If you believe that please come down to my car yard as i am sure i have a bargain sitting on the lot with your name on it. The rubbish you read at this time of year is incredible. Come on guys this is a great platform for the SAAFL clubs to interact so please keep it credible.

I still have written proof of what one certain coach was paid in his first year at his club, which was in D4 at the time (and that was 10 years ago) and it was in the above price range.

No rubbish.

and no thanks, I don't need a car.

Even with what he's bought to the club (which is a hell of a lot) I tend to agree that $15k + for a lower grade coach is excessive, no matter who it is.

and if they are demanding that type of cash in the lower divs then one would question whether the coach is in it for the right reasons.

Catty ;)
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:08 pm

The players don't get paid in preseason so neither should the coaches.

As for 20-30 hours a week I find that hard to believe. Here is what I see. 2 hours Tuesday night, 2 hours Thursday night, 4 hours Saturday and 2 hours selecting players. 10 hours. There might e a few coaches who tape games and watch them again. Another 2 hours for them. However you are not going over tapes from other teams, watching there practice or getting scout reports. 12 hours is about the
Most I can see. Would love to know where the other hours are spent?
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby WOS Dragons » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:33 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:The players don't get paid in preseason so neither should the coaches.

As for 20-30 hours a week I find that hard to believe. Here is what I see. 2 hours Tuesday night, 2 hours Thursday night, 4 hours Saturday and 2 hours selecting players. 10 hours. There might e a few coaches who tape games and watch them again. Another 2 hours for them. However you are not going over tapes from other teams, watching there practice or getting scout reports. 12 hours is about the
Most I can see. Would love to know where the other hours are spent?

But in pre-season the players don't have to do anything other than rock up where as the coaches need to plan the sessions, follow up with people who aren't there etc etc If a player chooses to miss one session so be it but a coach doesn't have that luxury

During the pre-season coaches would spend 4 hours a week at training plus say another hour organising it and say another 2 hours on recruiting/retaining players. In the season proper still the 4 hours a week at training plus the hour organising, match days from start of the b's until presentations (call it 7.5 hours) then another 2 on following up with players/trainers etc call it 10 weeks of preseason = 70 hours and 20 weeks of a season = 290 hours or a total of 360 hours. At $10k it works out at $27 an hour give or take which isn't ridiculous and I would expect most clubs would expect at least this much commitment from their coach no matter what the division.

Another question - do clubs have performance based payments? ie bonus' for making finals / promotion etc?
Last edited by WOS Dragons on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOS Dragons
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby carey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Pag wrote:I would think the figures that LTTF stated at the top of the thread would be very, very conservative for the general SAAFL population.

Agreed. Infact I think all them figures would be well and truly unders of what 'most' clubs pay there coach's.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2806 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby beeroclock » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Heres my thoughts.

Just my thoughts.

Div 2-3 payed 4-5 k - no chance.

If there was any change out of 20k to a certain Div 2 coach now Div 1 coach I would give it straight back to him and I'm not even involved with the club.
Superbly organised footy department.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League