Coaches worth

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Coaches worth

Postby Arch44 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:40 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:The players don't get paid in preseason so neither should the coaches.

As for 20-30 hours a week I find that hard to believe. Here is what I see. 2 hours Tuesday night, 2 hours Thursday night, 4 hours Saturday and 2 hours selecting players. 10 hours. There might e a few coaches who tape games and watch them again. Another 2 hours for them. However you are not going over tapes from other teams, watching there practice or getting scout reports. 12 hours is about the
Most I can see. Would love to know where the other hours are spent?

:lol: Our players don't get paid at all other than those in the best 5

You have ignored petrol. My petrol doubles in the footy season alone without considering preseason. Not to mention phone calls as well. No where near as cut and dry as you make it sound. Its a big ask to do it for very little imo
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby twobob » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:47 pm

5K to 8K for a good coach would be the range that most clubs would be happy to pay for a good coach. Except for the higher divisions where i expect they would be on a bit more than that.

If you can select the right man for your club then whatever he is on is not enough. I look at what Paul Sherwood has done for WOS, three years ago they were on a quick slide down the divisions and he came in and turned them around. Colin Welsh done the same for Mitcham a number of years back. So it's not always the best credentialed coach but the best fit for your club.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby Neverwasgood » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:57 pm

In a good footy department this stuff should be confidential anyway, so lots of these comments are rumours and people's own opinions. Just my opinion, but the more a coach gets it just means he is a good negotiator. No different to the 9-5 workplace.
Neverwasgood

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby norm11 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Wow. What about the 14 weeks preseason before hand and the planing of the trainings.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Cohiba » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 pm

WOS Dragons wrote:

Another question - do clubs have performance based payments? ie bonus' for making finals / promotion etc?

I rather think that whatever amount is bandied about here is a gross figure which encompasses all.......
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:The players don't get paid in preseason so neither should the coaches.

As for 20-30 hours a week I find that hard to believe. Here is what I see. 2 hours Tuesday night, 2 hours Thursday night, 4 hours Saturday and 2 hours selecting players. 10 hours. There might e a few coaches who tape games and watch them again. Another 2 hours for them. However you are not going over tapes from other teams, watching there practice or getting scout reports. 12 hours is about the

Don't know how any coach could operate on only 10 hours a week. I know my coach spends 4 hours at the club on a Tuesday night, 5-6 on a Thursday night, 12 hours on a Saturday (watching B's, coaching A's, presos etc.) and another 8 on a Sunday watching the juniors and coaching the U18's. That's about 30 hours just there. No to mention all the phone calls and meetings he has. The way I see it is, coaching a div 1 or div 2 club is a huge commitment and is just as time consuming as a full time job.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Following on from my last post, I have no idea what sort of pay coaches get but 15-20k a year is probably an appropriate figure for the work these guys put in.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 pm

I used to get to training at (leave home just after 5 and pick up the assistant coach) 5.30 and leave about 8, or 8.30 (get home at 8.15 - 8.45), Tuesday and Thursday. I used to travel to get there, another 15 mins each way. I used to plan the session on Tuesday and Thursday, another 15-30 mins per night. Then Saturday, try and take in as much as possible on a Saturday. For some, that would be 12.30 onward. For me, it was more, leave at 1 get wherever at 1.15 or 1.30, then stay through till presentation (6.30) and then chat with club officials, sponsors or players. So that makes it Tuesday 3 - 3.5, Thursday 3 - 3.5, Saturday anything from 5 to 8.

And really, that's fine. I didn't expect anything less. Conservatively that's about 12 hours in a week (or 16 depending on how conservative you are. But then there is all the other stuff;

Organising medical assessments
Discussing rehab options for injured players
Determining options for non financial players (can they be picked? how do we manage them?)
Discussing options with medical staff for injured players
Discussing game plans with assistant coaches
Ensuring players who weren't at training know about 'x, y and z' discussed at training
Travel for players to and from games
Board meetings
Meeting Sponsors
Speaking to juniors about 'coming up' grades
Watching junior games
Recruiting or feeling out players
Talking to potential sponsors
Talking to B graders about playing A grade

Saturday's for me used to start at 8am with players pulling out or notifying me that they were ok to play. From there, it was on!

The above list would happen 90% of the time with varying degrees of time taken for each category depending on what happened the previous week.

I've just been an assistant at a SAAFL club (for nix) and I would've put 10 hours a week in from January through till now. And I'm not the coach!

As players, you never see what goes on in a coaches world. I suggest you do that one day. It's enlightening!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Cohiba » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:48 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Following on from my last post, I have no idea what sort of pay coaches get but 15-20k a year is probably an appropriate figure for the work these guys put in.

The offer of a salary in most cases is very little about what is appropriate.....but more about the ability pay your bills.......... that's the reality of it.........
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby bird of prey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:02 pm

On average, I think a div 1 coach should earn up to $15k (including bonuses for finals/flags, etc)
Div 2-3 up to $10k
Div 4-5 up to $7k

These are my rough maximum pays. Obviously there's the odd coach that is earning more (and lots more) than these figures. But that's irrelevant. If the club can afford to pay that, and want to pay that, then good on em.

But on the average, these I think should be the going rates.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby bird of prey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
lovetotalkfooty wrote:Been hearing some amazing figures being bandied around for coaches in the SAAFL. Got me thinking about what a coach is worth. Lets not make this a I heard "X" gets paid $10000 a year and "Y" gets $7000 a year. More interested in what people think coaches should be paid in each division.

Whilst it is still called the South Australian Amateur Football League, $0

If they do not change the official name (not just adopt some branding), they should go back to the following definition for eligibility of players:

1 Anyone who has never taken part in a football match or any other form of athletics for a stake or money prize.
2 Anyone who has never earned or partially earned his living by playing football or any other form of athletics, or taken money either directly or indirectly, in recognition of his skill therein.

Can this guy ever let go of the fact that people in this league get paid, and it will always be known as amateur league?
:roll:
bird of prey
Under 18s

Postby beeroclock » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Following on from my last post, I have no idea what sort of pay coaches get but 15-20k a year is probably an appropriate figure for the work these guys put in.

Yep.
Yours is the best going around ATM.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:13 am

bird of prey wrote:
Can this guy ever let go of the fact that people in this league get paid, and it will always be known as amateur league?
:roll:

That doesn't even make sense
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby carey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:21 am

bird of prey wrote:On average, I think a div 1 coach should earn up to $15k (including bonuses for finals/flags, etc)
Div 2-3 up to $10k
Div 4-5 up to $7k

These are my rough maximum pays. Obviously there's the odd coach that is earning more (and lots more) than these figures. But that's irrelevant. If the club can afford to pay that, and want to pay that, then good on em.

I think these are much closer to the 'Going' rates. Although if a Div2-3 club landed 'A name' they may expect more.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby bird of prey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:23 am

carey wrote:
bird of prey wrote:On average, I think a div 1 coach should earn up to $15k (including bonuses for finals/flags, etc)
Div 2-3 up to $10k
Div 4-5 up to $7k

I think these are much closer to the 'Going' rates. Although if a Div2-3 club landed 'A name' they may expect more.

For sure. Although anyone with a name should only be able to command a higher price if-
They bring a good amount of extra revenue into the club (mainly sponsorship due to extra exposure)
Or, if they can bring with them a decent amount of recruits, in any grade, that doesn't come about because of throwing large $$ at players.

But generally a named coach should be able to do both those things. But obviously it's factored into their price.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:17 pm

beeroclock wrote:

Yep.

Yea I guess he's okay ;)
Blackwhite
Reserves

Postby Browny25 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:34 pm

LTTF - Are we talking "Coaches" or "recruiters"!? Two different things!
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Can you value family time lost strain on relationship with loved one sometimes we forget the price of picking the club first

I would never coach way to much down time easier to play
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:08 pm

beeroclock wrote:

Yep.

Really? What's Trent Mills then, Chopped liver?

6th flag in 10 years including 5 in a row. and undefeated minor premiers to boot.

Clearly Garry has achieved, I won't argue that point - but lets not forget was at the helm when the club went down 3 divs in as many years too....

take nothing away from his back to back flags but he's got a little way to catch up yet to the best coach in the league yet..
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Does Mills have an Under 18s Red Flag?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League