Coaches worth

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Coaches worth

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:54 pm

generally what is done in amatuer soccer in the high divisions is coach x is paid x amount lets say 20K

He then decides what to spend on players and whats left over he keep himself but if the performances arent there bye bye see you later.

Keeps the coaches honest and stops them from getting excessive deals for all their mates just because the club has money.

Personally i think its a good system.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:55 pm

whufc wrote:generally what is done in amatuer soccer in the high divisions is coach x is paid x amount lets say 20K

He then decides what to spend on players and whats left over he keep himself but if the performances arent there bye bye see you later.

Keeps the coaches honest and stops them from getting excessive deals for all their mates just because the club has money.

That sounds ok for lower level amateur clubs who's spend would be around that mark but what about when the budget is around the 100k mark?
Its a lot of responsibility in one blokes hands who in all likely hood doesnt bleed for that club.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:10 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:generally what is done in amatuer soccer in the high divisions is coach x is paid x amount lets say 20K

That sounds ok for lower level amateur clubs who's spend would be around that mark but what about when the budget is around the 100k mark?
Its a lot of responsibility in one blokes hands who in all likely hood doesnt bleed for that club.

I only threw that figure out there.

The Elizabeth Downs SC club use this system and arguably spend any where between 60-100K a year.
whufc
Coach

Postby norm11 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:38 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:No its not. But I also think that they don't have to if they don't wish to.

That's fair enough mate.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:46 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

Shocking system. How can 1 person be in control of all that money. Especially if that person is just in it for themselves. To me, it's a typical soccer thing to do, can't see many amateur footy clubs having/adopting this system.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Instead we have a system where from my experience a club gets a coach, he then says he can bring x, x and x with him who also double as his good mates, he then talks them up as being the next Gary Ablett and the club need x amount to lure him, this sum is generally way overs to his value but his looked after his mate.

Coach doesn't care if he over spends because he can move to another club at any time so what's he care if there bled dry,

The soccer system makes coaches responsible and if they wanna pay overs it hurts at their hip pockets

The amount of times I have been at the pub and heard coaches of amatuer/country clubs telling the mates, "I'm gonna get the job at ......., come with me and ill make sure you get..................'

I would think at alot of amatuer clubs coaches also play the role of main recruiter, imho some of these blokes need to be held responsible for some of the positions we see clubs in
whufc
Coach

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:02 pm

whufc wrote:Instead we have a system where from my experience a club gets a coach, he then says he can bring x, x and x with him who also double as his good mates, he then talks them up as being the next Gary Ablett and the club need x amount to lure him, this sum is generally way overs to his value but his looked after his mate.

Coach doesn't care if he over spends because he can move to another club at any time so what's he care if there bled dry,

The soccer system makes coaches responsible and if they wanna pay overs it hurts at their hip pockets

The amount of times I have been at the pub and heard coaches of amatuer/country clubs telling the mates, "I'm gonna get the job at ......., come with me and ill make sure you get..................'

I would think at alot of amatuer clubs coaches also play the role of main recruiter, imho some of these blokes need to be held responsible for some of the positions we see clubs in

Committee must be crap if they allow coaches to ridiculously overspend.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
whufc wrote:Instead we have a system where from my experience a club gets a coach, he then says he can bring x, x and x with him who also double as his good mates, he then talks them up as being the next Gary Ablett and the club need x amount to lure him, this sum is generally way overs to his value but his looked after his mate.

Committee must be crap if they allow coaches to ridiculously overspend.

Agree
whufc
Coach

Postby jo172 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Any committee that effectively gives their coach a blank cheque is not doing their duty
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:59 pm

*Bump*

Interesting thread some 8 years ago now, curious to see how peoples perceptions and opinions have changed.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:17 pm

I'm old and grumpy....i hate all the money in MOST amateur sports and the chop and changing from year to year that you see from so many players.

I want the good old days back.
whufc
Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:48 pm

I maintain my view the right person is worth a pot of gold.

Get the wrong person (who may also get a pot of gold) and it’s semi lethal poison that sets you back years
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby hollywood7477 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:15 pm

SPOC pay their Reserves coach $5k a year
Henley pay their reserves coach $900 plus finals so around $1k
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby S Demon » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:16 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:SPOC pay their Reserves coach $5k a year

And here I thought these college types were smarter than everyone else..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:58 pm

Personally I reckon that’s completely disrespectful to both of the clubs mentioned to post that sort of detailed information on here. Just my take…
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby hollywood7477 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:12 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:

Personally I reckon that’s completely disrespectful to both of the clubs mentioned to post that sort of detailed information on here. Just my take…

The SPOC one was about 4 years ago. Things have prob changed with Covid and everything. The Henley one is what prob most B Grade coaches get paid. Maybe a little bit more.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:57 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:

The SPOC one was about 4 years ago. Things have prob changed with Covid and everything. The Henley one is what prob most B Grade coaches get paid. Maybe a little bit more.

I don't want to comment on individual clubs but i know a Div 7 club who pays there Reserves Coach 2K. I also recently learnt of another lower division club who payed their B grade Coach a meal voucher :shock:

The most i have heard for a Reserve's Coach being payed is 10K albeit he did a lot around the club in addition to his Coaching the B grade, assisting the C grade and being an Assistant in the A grade. I would think most lower Div clubs would not pay that to their A grade.
i think its all relative as if they bring in a major sponsor its fair to assume that additional remuneration could be expected.

I think its safe for me to say without anyone cracking the shits but in 2009 i got $1,500 Coaching the C grade. I was Paid weekly in an envelope that went on the bar religiously and think my bar tab that year would have been a lot more than what i was paid. I also had my own sponsor though.

I guess its time to ask that age old SAFotty forum question; WOULD A DIV1 RESERVES COACHES PAY BEAT A DIV 7 COACHES PAY :D
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Arch44 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:12 am

When I first started coaching Bgrade in 2004 it was $75 a game, if you break it down to hourly rate, Tuesday and Thursday nights and pretty much all day Saturday it wasn’t much. 20 years on it hasn’t gone up much at all in comparison to other jobs but your time is the same. It’s an under rated time consuming role that should be rewarded more in my opinion.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:14 am

Arch44 wrote:When I first started coaching Bgrade in 2004 it was $75 a game, if you break it down to hourly rate, Tuesday and Thursday nights and pretty much all day Saturday it wasn’t much. 20 years on it hasn’t gone up much at all in comparison to other jobs but your time is the same. It’s an under rated time consuming role that should be rewarded more in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more that coaching the reserves/C Grade is one of the bigger pricks of jobs at a football club in a time/reward sense.

Can't imagine anything more frustrating than when it becomes apparent that you've got 16 to play Cs on a Thursday night and losing your next 36 hours twisting the arms of others to play, only to then get 2-3 pull out of the As/Bs and to start the process over again!
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:19 pm

jo172 wrote:
Arch44 wrote:When I first started coaching Bgrade in 2004 it was $75 a game, if you break it down to hourly rate, Tuesday and Thursday nights and pretty much all day Saturday it wasn’t much. 20 years on it hasn’t gone up much at all in comparison to other jobs but your time is the same. It’s an under rated time consuming role that should be rewarded more in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more that coaching the reserves/C Grade is one of the bigger pricks of jobs at a football club in a time/reward sense.

Can't imagine anything more frustrating than when it becomes apparent that you've got 16 to play Cs on a Thursday night and losing your next 36 hours twisting the arms of others to play, only to then get 2-3 pull out of the As/Bs and to start the process over again!

When I coached B's I found the hardest part was trying to be fair to blokes, it was hard when the A's would pick blokes that didn't train and I couldn't do the same.

Quite often I'd have a young lad roll into the changeroom, look at the whiteboard and see that he wasn't listed, they'd then chuck a tantrum, throw their bag and let everyone know how f*****d the place was. It wasn't fun but I couldn't leave blokes out that never missed a session and had paid their subs.

I even used to tell the young fella's to just feed me a lie, they didn't even have the decency to do that, it would be made worse when it would get back to me that they were seen roaming the local shopping centre on Thursday night.

I took on the role because my predecessor was offering his better players things to make them refuse to play A's, it was bullshit, the A Grade coach had no chance.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League