Coaches worth

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Coaches worth

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:32 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Arch44 wrote:When I first started coaching Bgrade in 2004 it was $75 a game, if you break it down to hourly rate, Tuesday and Thursday nights and pretty much all day Saturday it wasn’t much. 20 years on it hasn’t gone up much at all in comparison to other jobs but your time is the same. It’s an under rated time consuming role that should be rewarded more in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more that coaching the reserves/C Grade is one of the bigger pricks of jobs at a football club in a time/reward sense.

Can't imagine anything more frustrating than when it becomes apparent that you've got 16 to play Cs on a Thursday night and losing your next 36 hours twisting the arms of others to play, only to then get 2-3 pull out of the As/Bs and to start the process over again!

When I coached B's I found the hardest part was trying to be fair to blokes, it was hard when the A's would pick blokes that didn't train and I couldn't do the same.

Quite often I'd have a young lad roll into the changeroom, look at the whiteboard and see that he wasn't listed, they'd then chuck a tantrum, throw their bag and let everyone know how f*****d the place was. It wasn't fun but I couldn't leave blokes out that never missed a session and had paid their subs.

I even used to tell the young fella's to just feed me a lie, they didn't even have the decency to do that, it would be made worse when it would get back to me that they were seen roaming the local shopping centre on Thursday night.

I took on the role because my predecessor was offering his better players things to make them refuse to play A's, it was bullshit, the A Grade coach had no chance.

Yeah, b grade coaching is arguably a harder task than A Grade. At least with the A's its purely about winning and pretty much picking your best 21.

B grade has so many different elements from winning games to having blokes a grade ready to giving young lads a chance to develop and 21 blokes with a wide range of goals from their footy, blokes looking to push into a grade through to blokes filling in....somehow you have to try and blend all that together.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League