4%
Rosewater
13%
Woodville South
7%

Total votes : 98

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Postby no_remorse28 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:40 am

I'm more curious as to why players choose to hop around to different clubs so regularly at all!
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:52 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
jo172 wrote:
I'm more curious about this being a particular "Port" phenomena.

It seems the number of blokes who have done time at Rosewater/Port Districts/Portland/North Haven far exceeds the number of blokes who have done time at Unley/Mitcham/Scotch, or Mitchell Park/Colonel Light Gardens/Kenilworth, or PNU/Walkerville/Hectorville.

Anyone care to theorise why?

Is it really a Port phenomena? Does it not happen in other areas? Flinders Park/Woody South/Henley/Lockleys or TTG/Hope Valley/Golden Grove/ Modbury or Salisbury/Salisbury West/Salisbury North/Brahma Lodge or Eastern Park/Elizabeth/Central United/Smithfield

Curiosity got to me, so for North Haven:

30 clearances in (not counting SANFL/Interstate/Juniors), 13 of them from Portland or Port District

Port District:

16 Clearances in, 4 from North Haven or Portland (another 4 if you extend to Seaton/SMOSH)

Portland:

11 clearances in, 0 from another "Port" team

Rosewater:

32 clearances in, 3 from another "port" team.

Perhaps apart from North Haven more of a perception than a reality?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:57 am

This has been the case for years, especially the bed swapping between Dizzies and Havens.

They don't like moving away from the Peninsula. ;)

Very much the same with Northern CLubs, which is why one or more clubs out North is in trouble in any given year.

Last year it was the Lodge and Angle Vale - this year it's North Pines and Westies
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Arch44 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:20 am

human_torpedo wrote:
Doghouse2 wrote:For the life of me can't work out why these clubs keep taking these guys back, they go from club to club around the port and surrounds. Rosewater's a grade on weekend 5 out of 22 from prelim final 18 months ago.massive turnover of players and clubs just don't seem to think ahead.they think short term success is the key to good club. most coaches think of themselves and their own success. They know they have small window of opportunity for a premiership and will accept all and pay whatever they think is needed.the clubs may still be there in years to come but the floaters that come and go are the reason clubs like Kilburn Brahma Lodge Rosewater West Croydon Mitchell Park Salisbury West etc good 1 year and bad for next 3. the floaters dont care as they move on again and don't actually care how the clubs are left. Until the clubs have some balls and address these problems they will continue in the same manner and only a matter of time until some clubs are gone. Kilburn were very close salisbury west have gone close wingfield gone. frustrates the hell out of me that these clubs keep going over same mistakes continually and don't learn.

and why do coaches still continue to put guys in the paper as best when they have played minimal game time and clearly not in the best? do they think other clubs don't know who the good players are in each side these days?

and feel sorry for the guys who have to hear the usual bullsh*t coachs say " if you do the preseason you'll get picked and the guys that don't won't start, this year we have the numbers so they can't just turn up when they want" but yet round 1 have guys who train 1 and "float" in from other clubs picked in higher grades and ones that hardly missed don't get game - and no I'm not a player, just can't stand bullsh*t

Agree with a lot of the stuff you bought up, but lets face it, coaches will spruik about training etc, but its happened for years now and always will continue to happen unless your club is in an extraordinary position to be able to leave top calibre players out due to lack of training.. Which generally wont be the case in the lower divisions..

I see your point about non sustainable environments with players chasing the coin with no loyalty, but find it odd that you throw Rosewater in that category. Yes, the player payments are probably excessive for div 5, but what sets them apart from the other 4 clubs you mentioned is that they have worked hard to build up the junior sides to have 5 i believe now, if not 6, where the other 4 clubs dont have juniors, so will rely on 'floaters' to stick around, and when they dont, they go under.. 17 players out of the side from 2013 prelim, how many of them have left to go to other clubs? I think you'll find very few if any have moved on to another club, simply have moved down the grades or retired from the game..

We have juniors mate. Only 3 sides (I think) and there is a lot of hard work that does goes in to them.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:42 am

Arch44 wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:
Doghouse2 wrote:For the life of me can't work out why these clubs keep taking these guys back, they go from club to club around the port and surrounds. Rosewater's a grade on weekend 5 out of 22 from prelim final 18 months ago.massive turnover of players and clubs just don't seem to think ahead.they think short term success is the key to good club. most coaches think of themselves and their own success. They know they have small window of opportunity for a premiership and will accept all and pay whatever they think is needed.the clubs may still be there in years to come but the floaters that come and go are the reason clubs like Kilburn Brahma Lodge Rosewater West Croydon Mitchell Park Salisbury West etc good 1 year and bad for next 3. the floaters dont care as they move on again and don't actually care how the clubs are left. Until the clubs have some balls and address these problems they will continue in the same manner and only a matter of time until some clubs are gone. Kilburn were very close salisbury west have gone close wingfield gone. frustrates the hell out of me that these clubs keep going over same mistakes continually and don't learn.

and why do coaches still continue to put guys in the paper as best when they have played minimal game time and clearly not in the best? do they think other clubs don't know who the good players are in each side these days?

and feel sorry for the guys who have to hear the usual bullsh*t coachs say " if you do the preseason you'll get picked and the guys that don't won't start, this year we have the numbers so they can't just turn up when they want" but yet round 1 have guys who train 1 and "float" in from other clubs picked in higher grades and ones that hardly missed don't get game - and no I'm not a player, just can't stand bullsh*t

Agree with a lot of the stuff you bought up, but lets face it, coaches will spruik about training etc, but its happened for years now and always will continue to happen unless your club is in an extraordinary position to be able to leave top calibre players out due to lack of training.. Which generally wont be the case in the lower divisions..

I see your point about non sustainable environments with players chasing the coin with no loyalty, but find it odd that you throw Rosewater in that category. Yes, the player payments are probably excessive for div 5, but what sets them apart from the other 4 clubs you mentioned is that they have worked hard to build up the junior sides to have 5 i believe now, if not 6, where the other 4 clubs dont have juniors, so will rely on 'floaters' to stick around, and when they dont, they go under.. 17 players out of the side from 2013 prelim, how many of them have left to go to other clubs? I think you'll find very few if any have moved on to another club, simply have moved down the grades or retired from the game..

We have juniors mate. Only 3 sides (I think) and there is a lot of hard work that does goes in to them.

Yeh apologies mate, TBH I wasnt even factoring West Croydon into my discussion, I had Sal West, Kilburn, Brahma, Wingfield in mind when I mentioned the 4 clubs.. I should have been clearer
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Arch44 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:49 am

All good
Arch44
League - Top 5

Postby thejuddernaught » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:31 am

it annoys the hell out of me that the "actual" best players aren't named on fox sporting pulse or in the paper. Makes it hard for supporters interstate or from another league to follow who is actually playing well. If it is to bluff opposition coaches then its a joke. Opposition coaches would have done their homework and would know who the consistently good players are before they are put in the paper. If they don't, hang up the clipboard coaches.
thejuddernaught
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Southern Eagles

Postby Arch44 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:41 am

thejuddernaught wrote:

it annoys the hell out of me that the "actual" best players aren't named on fox sporting pulse or in the paper. Makes it hard for supporters interstate or from another league to follow who is actually playing well. If it is to bluff opposition coaches then its a joke. Opposition coaches would have done their homework and would know who the consistently good players are before they are put in the paper. If they don't, hang up the clipboard coaches.

I think part of the reason is (when I coached our Agrade) we get asked straight after the game when really well with me any way I don't pick them until I have sat down with the magnet board and my assistant and go through it then. Most names are given off the cuff without much thought. IMO
Arch44
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:57 am

Arch44 wrote:
thejuddernaught wrote:

I think part of the reason is (when I coached our Agrade) we get asked straight after the game when really well with me any way I don't pick them until I have sat down with the magnet board and my assistant and go through it then. Most names are given off the cuff without much thought. IMO

That is only the result of the deadline to enter the information by 6pm or what ever it is.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby oldman » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:16 am

So who are the best 5 players from each club then?
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby human_torpedo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:41 am

oldman wrote:So who are the best 5 players from each club then?

From Rosewater mate, throw a blanket over Hugh Johnson-Schroeder, Daniel Reardon and Scott Jacobsen (not to get confused with his brother Shaun) and daylight to the rest.. If Matt Kooyman could get his off field issues right he could be anything as well
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Doghouse2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 am

human_torpedo wrote:

From Rosewater mate, throw a blanket over Hugh Johnson-Schroeder, Daniel Reardon and Scott Jacobsen (not to get confused with his brother Shaun) and daylight to the rest.. If Matt Kooyman could get his off field issues right he could be anything as well

Going by the names in the paper not to many people would know who the best players are at any club. Woody South's Best would be: Sumner, the Economou family and Clark.
Doghouse2
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby human_torpedo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Doghouse2 wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:

Going by the names in the paper not to many people would know who the best players are at any club. Woody South's Best would be: Sumner, the Economou family and Clark.

Got a real bee in your bonnet about this papers best players issue dont ya Doghouse2.. How long have you been reading the Advertiser/Sunday Mail expecting correct and factual journalism and reporting? Surely by now you know not to expect that
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Ease up, sprigger.
You can blame journos for a lot but dodgy club best ain't anything to do with correct and factual reporting. Sheesh.

*** yes, I know, another post
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby thejuddernaught » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:24 pm

If Alex Losic isn't in the best 5 at Rosewater I don't know who is.
Should of played league footy for Woodville but was prone to soft tissue injuries.
Arms like linguine he can get a fist in anywhere and is as honest as the day is long at full back.
Scott Jacobsen is 5x the footballer his brother thinks he is. Hard but that goes in at every contest.
Jake Williams should of won the div 6 league medal last year but a few altercations with our lovely umpires cost him.
Ben Hall is set to make a come back I hear, he will slot straight into the forward line, pressure acts and sense of goal will be a huge asset to the doggies.
thejuddernaught
Mini-League

Postby human_torpedo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:25 pm

I said Advertiser/Sunday Mail, not the Bunyip Dogwatcher, nothing but 100% factual info published in that paper, suspect character you have writing sports though ;)
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:32 pm

human_torpedo wrote:I said Advertiser/Sunday Mail, not the Bunyip Dogwatcher, nothing but 100% factual info published in that paper, suspect character you have writing sports though ;)

:lol: :lol:
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby thejuddernaught » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:52 pm

heater31 wrote:
Arch44 wrote:
thejuddernaught wrote:

That is only the result of the deadline to enter the information by 6pm or what ever it is.

If that's the case then fair enough. That's understandable. But generally by half way through the last quarter you can tell who your best 6 are which should leave ample time to submit the actual best players. I Guess each coach has their different methods to everything. Maybe I'll just have to go directly to the source to find out the best players this week. Best of luck dogs.
thejuddernaught
Mini-League

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:57 pm

thejuddernaught wrote:If that's the case then fair enough. That's understandable. But generally by half way through the last quarter you can tell who your best 6 are which should leave ample time to submit the actual best players. I Guess each coach has their different methods to everything. Maybe I'll just have to go directly to the source to find out the best players this week. Best of luck dogs.

Are you going to ask Shaun or Scott "the sauce" Jacobsen?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby thejuddernaught » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
thejuddernaught wrote:If that's the case then fair enough. That's understandable. But generally by half way through the last quarter you can tell who your best 6 are which should leave ample time to submit the actual best players. I Guess each coach has their different methods to everything. Maybe I'll just have to go directly to the source to find out the best players this week. Best of luck dogs.

Are you going to ask Shaun or Scott "the sauce" Jacobsen?

I'll be asking Arron Hure I reckon.
Better not stiff me and give me false information.
thejuddernaught
Mini-League

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League