APPS New recruiting rules - Your thoughts?

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: APPS New recruiting rules - Your thoughts?

Postby jo172 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:39 pm

RooShootOhh wrote:The problem with the rules is that are put in place for the top end type transfers, rather than the everyday transfers.

How many B Graders realistically can transfer to another club and become match-winners, unless they are dropping 4-5 grades.

All the current system is doing is stopping people from being able to play at a club they choose.

Lets just say a kid from Pt Augusta plays 3 A games but the rest B's, moves to Adelaide for Uni, no club will want him (or be able to fit him into the As) because he is points, even if he turns up on his own want to play with mates at a club.

And the same with country clubs, bar the odd handful of Div1 Reserve players, country clubs aren't headhunting B graders, they only have minimal points to use, and usually have enough cash to get the best points players they want. But say a B grader in the ammos play 1 A grade game last year wants to go play with family/friends at a country club, that club may not fit him in if they have used their points.

All this does normally is turn blokes away from footy, and most of the time, once they leave they don't come back.
I agreed a system is needed for top end talent transfers, but stopping a bunch of lads playing together when they are middle of the road type players is plain stupid.

I understand your point and sympathise to an extent.

However, I suspect a vast majority of the SAAFL is never playing with their full 15 points. Hell, we won a flag 2 years ago with 1 point.

If you're playing with your full allocation of points you run the risk of having someone drop on your door and you not being able to fit them in. That is the risk you take by deciding to play each week with a full quota of points.

I realise this is different in the country where my understanding is that clubs playing with their full allocation is the majority.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Q. wrote:After filling in the spreadsheet it would appear that majority B-Grade (some A-Grade) players transferring within the SAAFL (any Div) are worth zero points.

Examples?

Tyeson Oswald. Brahma Lodge to Houghton Districts.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby cracka » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:57 pm

Q. wrote:After filling in the spreadsheet it would appear that majority B-Grade (some A-Grade) players transferring within the SAAFL (any Div) are worth zero points.

I thought all B graders were zero points no matter what league or division they are from (except State leagues of course)
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:58 pm

If they've played some a-grade they're worth one point if transferring to another league.
Q.
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Q. wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:

Examples?

Tyeson Oswald. Brahma Lodge to Houghton Districts.

2014 - 1 x D5, 14 x D5R
2013 - 1 x D8
2012 - 1 x C4

8.3.4 C.b) - A player who has played a majority of matches for the Reserves (B Grade) Team but has also played any match in the Senior (A Grade) Team of a Club or Clubs in any Other League in the previous two playing seasons and is transferring from one Affiliated League to another Affiliated League – an additional one (1) point.

9.5 - Affiliated Leagues that have divisional competitions will consider each division as a League for the purpose of implementing the APPS.

Should be 1 point. It is the club's responsibility to determine the points value of each player.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Q. » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:17 pm

the entire saafl is one affiliate league, therefore he is zero points, ie 9.5 is not being implemented within the saafl
Q.
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Q. wrote:the entire saafl is one affiliate league, therefore he is zero points

Regulation 9.5 clearly states "Affiliated Leagues that have divisional competitions will consider each division as a League for the purpose of implementing the APPS."

Houghton are not in Division 5
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Q. » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 pm

9.5 is not being implemented within the saafl
Q.
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Q. wrote:9.5 is not being implemented within the saafl

Half the SACFL board is made up of C9AFL delegates and they voted this clause in, why would they not implement their own rule?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Q. » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:32 pm

To give points value to players who go to other leagues. No need for it within saafl.
Q.
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:29 pm

How many points does each club in the C9AFL have to work with?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:How many points does each club in the C9AFL have to work with?

Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:How many points does each club in the C9AFL have to work with?

15 regular season, 17 in finals (theoretically to compensate for the extra player, I've always found that exception to be a little odd myself)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:03 pm

Q. wrote:To give points value to players who go to other leagues. No need for it within saafl.

That's fair enough. It will still be implemented when transferring from SAAFL to another league & vice versa, right?
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Q. wrote:To give points value to players who go to other leagues. No need for it within saafl.

Would it not be better to encourage clubs to recruit from outside rather than cannibalise their own?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:24 am

cracka wrote:

That's fair enough. It will still be implemented when transferring from SAAFL to another league & vice versa, right?

Correct
Q.
Coach

Postby jo172 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:55 am

Interesting to see this is under review again with other leagues looking to mimic the C9AFL's reserves rule.

I'm still of thew view that the system contains far too many anomalies. Some things I'd like to see addressed:

- The window for the player to play 25 junior games is too narrow. I'd like to see 25 junior games between the age of 13 and 16 (or whatever it is now) or 50 all together.
- That Old Collegians Clubs get the benefit of zero pointers who come out of the school. The record keeping of whether players have played the correct amount of games is spurious at best. Unless the College competitions get on Sports Pulse or are at least able to independently verify the 25 games they should not get the benefit of zero points. Particularly when district clubs can have blokes play 100 junior games, but be whisked away by the SANFL during the crucial age group for the purposes of points. Fundamental inequity in the system.
- Also, given many Old Colls clubs will have a negligible involvement with the College's footy teams I don't really accept they should get the benefit of zero pointers at all. If that's the case i think Adelaide Uni and Flinders Uni are bloody stiff for not being able to count current students as zero pointers (which I also think they shouldn't be able to).
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:33 am

jo172 wrote:Interesting to see this is under review again with other leagues looking to mimic the C9AFL's reserves rule.

I'm still of thew view that the system contains far too many anomalies. Some things I'd like to see addressed:

- The window for the player to play 25 junior games is too narrow. I'd like to see 25 junior games between the age of 13 and 16 (or whatever it is now) or 50 all together.
- That Old Collegians Clubs get the benefit of zero pointers who come out of the school. The record keeping of whether players have played the correct amount of games is spurious at best. Unless the College competitions get on Sports Pulse or are at least able to independently verify the 25 games they should not get the benefit of zero points. Particularly when district clubs can have blokes play 100 junior games, but be whisked away by the SANFL during the crucial age group for the purposes of points. Fundamental inequity in the system.
- Also, given many Old Colls clubs will have a negligible involvement with the College's footy teams I don't really accept they should get the benefit of zero pointers at all. If that's the case i think Adelaide Uni and Flinders Uni are bloody stiff for not being able to count current students as zero pointers (which I also think they shouldn't be able to).

Get beaten up by a college poof on the weekend jo?
Maybe Marryatville doesn't get help from their old scholars, but there is a massive involvement with some of the old collegian clubs
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:52 am

jo172 wrote:Interesting to see this is under review again with other leagues looking to mimic the C9AFL's reserves rule.

So essentially then every new player to an Old Scholars side will be worth points? Since they don't fall under the junior games banner, and you want to abolish the link with the school.. Mate, you need to let it go.. FWIW, I can only speak of the Old Scholars club im involved with, but we actually work quite closely with the school and the First 18's to establish a close link as the school is our main avenue for players to come to our club..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:54 am

human_torpedo wrote:

So essentially then every new player to an Old Scholars side will be worth points? Since they don't fall under the junior games banner, and you want to abolish the link with the school.. Mate, you need to let it go.. FWIW, I can only speak of the Old Scholars club im involved with, but we actually work quite closely with the school and the First 18's to establish a close link as the school is our main avenue for players to come to our club..

No, anyone who it's the first club they register for remains zero points.

I.e everyone coming out of the first 18 remains zero points (as they would be to every other club in the state).
jo172
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League