SAAFL Cup - A la FA Cup - Possible or not?

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: SAAFL Cup - A la FA Cup - Possible or not?

Postby jo172 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Pag wrote:I wouldn't put my hand up to play AFL 9s, I found avoiding the physical contact too difficult having played proper rules for 15+ years.

Same reason I'm no longer welcome to play mixed netball
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Cohiba » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:06 pm

HH3 wrote:Could play AFL 9's on a Wednesday night. Wouldn't even be sore the next day.

We have our solution! You're all welcome!

Under lights :roll: ..... or do you mean before dinner.......
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Cohiba wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Clubs could enter 2 sides, we could perhaps have a Div 1 Reserves team up against say...........a Div 5 team.

So the suggestion is for the draw to be fixed to suit........rather than a marbles out of a bag draw for a true knockout comp?

Q - Would there be enough Ovals available being on the tail end of the Cricket season.

And as a knockout comp over how many weeks would it be conducted?

Mine was tongue in cheek, it could work if it was split down the middle to some degree. Div 1 through to Div 3 in one comp, the balance in another, logistically it could get difficult but if the games were spread out during the week I'm sure there would be enough suitable venues.

I'd have a ranking system, Highest ranked side vs the lowest ranked side from the previous year and then squeeze it in from there.

I'm of the opinion it would seem more relevant than trial matches seeing that there is a carrot dangled there.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:13 pm

I hate soccer so I don't know how the FA cup draw works.

would it work with our comp in a round about sort of way?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I hate soccer so I don't know how the FA cup draw works.

Yes, it would be dominated by the top division clubs but I'm sure there would be an upset here and there along the journey.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Cohiba wrote:
HH3 wrote:Could play AFL 9's on a Wednesday night. Wouldn't even be sore the next day.

We have our solution! You're all welcome!

Under lights :roll: ..... or do you mean before dinner.......

Whats wrong with under lights?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:42 pm

the fixture would have to start around the same time as the cricket finals should be plenty of ovals free up then

im sure clubs would put there hand up to host a few games revenue is always good to bring in before the start of the actual season

an example over friday saturday and sunday you could host about 9 games

2 games friday night
4 games on saturday '
3 games sunday
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Cohiba » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Cohiba wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Clubs could enter 2 sides, we could perhaps have a Div 1 Reserves team up against say...........a Div 5 team.

So the suggestion is for the draw to be fixed to suit........rather than a marbles out of a bag draw for a true knockout comp?

Q - Would there be enough Ovals available being on the tail end of the Cricket season.

And as a knockout comp over how many weeks would it be conducted?

Mine was tongue in cheek, it could work if it was split down the middle to some degree. Div 1 through to Div 3 in one comp, the balance in another, logistically it could get difficult but if the games were spread out during the week I'm sure there would be enough suitable venues.

I'd have a ranking system, Highest ranked side vs the lowest ranked side from the previous year and then squeeze it in from there.

I'm of the opinion it would seem more relevant than trial matches seeing that there is a carrot dangled there.

I don't disagree with the concept of such a competition, just question the practicality of in the SAAFL......

I don't.... IMO.... believe we have the administrative capacity to organise a preseason comp such as is being suggested.

My scepticism is about how many clubs from an "amateur" competition such as the SAAFL would be truly committed to such a competition, along with the time line and infrastructure needed for this to be accomplished.

The winner would have played about 7 games in a 64 team competition and then have to front up to the season proper.
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Pag » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I hate soccer so I don't know how the FA cup draw works.

The draw is done at random after each round, top-flight teams can draw other top-flight teams, but a lot of the top clubs don't tend to play their best sides, much like the SANFL sides in the Foxtel Cup, until they are a better statistical chance at winning the whole thing.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Cohiba wrote:
I don't disagree with the concept of such a competition, just question the practicality of in the SAAFL......

I don't.... IMO.... believe we have the administrative capacity to organise a preseason comp such as is being suggested.

My scepticism is about how many clubs from an "amateur" competition such as the SAAFL would be truly committed to such a competition, along with the time line and infrastructure needed for this to be accomplished.

The winner would have played about 7 games in a 64 team competition and then have to front up to the season proper.

That's why I would divide it down the middle.
32 clubs per conference, t's still 5 games for the finalists though, perhaps squads of 30 and cap it at 20 minute quarters.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

32 clubs per conference, t's still 5 games for the finalists though, perhaps squads of 30 and cap it at 20 minute quarters.

Even groups of 16.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby jo172 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Failed Creation wrote:I like where you're coming from, @hillscrow, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 'Champions League' of sorts, where the premiers from select leagues play off in a knockout format.

For example, you could have the Div 1 & 2 premiers from the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League and the premiers of the SFL, GSFL, BL&GFA, APFL, Yorke Peninsula, RMFL etc.

I think 8 teams would be ideal, and play during the pre-season as a warm up to each league's season proper.

For what it's worth this presents similar logistical problems but is a concept I would be far more interested in.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:48 pm

jo172 wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:I like where you're coming from, @hillscrow, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 'Champions League' of sorts, where the premiers from select leagues play off in a knockout format.

For example, you could have the Div 1 & 2 premiers from the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League and the premiers of the SFL, GSFL, BL&GFA, APFL, Yorke Peninsula, RMFL etc.

I think 8 teams would be ideal, and play during the pre-season as a warm up to each league's season proper.

For what it's worth this presents similar logistical problems but is a concept I would be far more interested in.

I suggested the above points because I believe 8 teams would be plenty, and the other leagues mentioned are closest to Adelaide.

Shit, I forgot about the Hills comps. No offence intended there.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Cohiba » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

Even groups of 16.

Understand what your saying LM.....but my sense is that by either diluting or "dividing" the number of participants you then lose the essence of what a League Knockout Competition is about.....particularly for those on this forum that were trying to resolve comparisons of whether clubs at the top end of one division were competitive with Clubs place at the bottom end of Divisions above them etc. I can't help think if an attempt to get such a competition off the ground it will almost certainly bring a heap of recriminations because more than one participant will feel hard done by the draw....... Have a look at our regular season comp now and the hue an cry that goes on now..... If nothing else its a good talking point.... :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Jetters » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Playing a 'lighting carnival' type day in the preseason with teams from 1 or maybe 2 divisions either side may have some merit.

The idea of a random 64 team KO style comp is ludicrous.

If strong clubs play mickey mouse teams... then then the comp is a joke anyway, and the goodwill story of a low div club beating a high div club is a waste of time.

Or if everyone played strong sides, so the comp is legit, MOST games would be 20 or 30 goal games. Who does this help?

If there are 65 clubs, and for example we are the 20th best side, the top 5-10 would beat us by 20 goal and i'd expect us to beat the bottom 30-35 by 20 goal. 50 goal if we got a side in the bottom 10.

The standard is just so varied
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby swingman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Jetters wrote:Playing a 'lighting carnival' type day in the preseason with teams from 1 or maybe 2 divisions either side may have some merit.

The idea of a random 64 team KO style comp is ludicrous.

If strong clubs play mickey mouse teams... then then the comp is a joke anyway, and the goodwill story of a low div club beating a high div club is a waste of time.

Or if everyone played strong sides, so the comp is legit, MOST games would be 20 or 30 goal games. Who does this help?

If there are 65 clubs, and for example we are the 20th best side, the top 5-10 would beat us by 20 goal and i'd expect us to beat the bottom 30-35 by 20 goal. 50 goal if we got a side in the bottom 10.

The standard is just so varied

Spot on, silly idea and a waste of time.

Goodwood smashed rocs everytime they beat them this year which was 3 out of the 4 games. the average margin for them wins would be around 8 - 10 goals. Good on any lower div club that wants to take them on
swingman
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: North Pines

Postby Benchwarmer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:52 am

Could work in a 20 minute halves concept with multiple matches at venues.

e.g. 3 teams playing each other once (2 games) to get one winner to progress or 4 teams playing KO games to get one winner to progress.

You would need to have 3 games of 20 minute halves in the early rounds to turn 3 into 1 or 4 into 1 - the first round could therefore go from 24 to 8 (3 into 1) or 32 into 8 (4 into 1).

The next round could have 4 teams play KO games to go from 8 to 2 for a Grand Final and you could play that as a 4x20 or 2x20 format?

The comp could well be done by May if started in March/April so it wouldn't affect clubs in the H&A season.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League