Penalties for paying players in the SAAFL

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Penalties for paying players in the SAAFL

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:28 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:I did mention at one point earlier this year that player payments (especially under the table) need to be addressed. Maybe someone's ears from the SAAFL headquarters were burning.

yep..that'd be it...they would've had no idea if you hadn't mentioned anything ;-) ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:15 am

I don't think its out of control this is why the points system is in place. 12 months ago every man and his dog was complaining about country teams buying City players and now we are contemplating putting in a salary cap in Metro leagues? Still don't think clubs are paying as much as 10-15 years ago especially in the country.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Old Dog New Tricks » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:27 am

[quote="LaughingKookaburra"]I don't think its out of control this is why the points system is in place. 12 months ago every man and his dog was complaining about country teams buying City players and now we are contemplating putting in a salary cap in Metro leagues? Still don't think clubs are paying as much as 10-15 years ago especially in the country.[/quote]Have you been living under a rock.?
Old Dog New Tricks
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:56 am

Close Perth for 3 years.

Just look @ the standards of country comps they are no where near as strong as they were 15 years ago.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby X Runna » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:35 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Close Perth for 3 years.

Just look @ the standards of country comps they are no where near as strong as they were 15 years ago.

Maybe so, but the money for the gun recruits is horrendous.....$1000 a game is common and some are on a lot more.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:45 am

I know what you're saying but I know blokes that were earning 1k plus per week in the early 2000's and that equates to shitloads more now. I just don't think its as bigger issue as some suggest. The main issue seems to be that the tax department want a chunk of it and then that creates an underworld system that WILL cause a massive issue.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Cohiba » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:08 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I know what you're saying but I know blokes that were earning 1k plus per week in the early 2000's and that equates to shitloads more now. I just don't think its as bigger issue as some suggest. The main issue seems to be that the tax department want a chunk of it and then that creates an underworld system that WILL cause a massive issue.

If needs must, the devil drives........ :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby S Demon » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:47 pm

If someone can give me the $25k, I'll happily spend it on our players...
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby cracka » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:47 pm

S Demon wrote:If someone can give me the $25k, I'll happily spend it on our players...

Head to Padthaway, they'll give you 10 times that.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby jo172 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:59 am

Old Dog New Tricks wrote:Gotta try something. It's clearly out of control. Good on them I reckon

1. We must do something.

2. This is something.

3. Therefore we must do it.

That kind of politician's syllogism never leads us wrong
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:23 pm

SACFL have told clubs that contracts this year are for a maximum of 1 year as there were reports of clubs Front-loading contracts so as to comply in 2016.

Reports of extreme money ($3k+ a week) being offered at the moment for 2015 with "Gentlemen's Agreements" to fulfill 2 or 3 seasons, at the cap rate for 2016 and beyond.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby jo172 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:SACFL have told clubs that contracts this year are for a maximum of 1 year as there were reports of clubs Front-loading contracts so as to comply in 2016.

Reports of extreme money ($3k+ a week) being offered at the moment for 2015 with "Gentlemen's Agreements" to fulfill 2 or 3 seasons, at the cap rate for 2016 and beyond.

Any club who enters an agreement like you've outlined is begging for trouble
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Cash 123 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:49 am

Why fix something that isnt wrong. Clubs with rogue leaders and no control policies will be the ones who suffer at there own expense.
Cash 123
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby nos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Survival of the Fittest...

Have heard that the league are working with CFL to prevent players chasing money outside of the Metro. The proposal I have heard is that if a player chooses to seek money outside of the Metro comp and does go to the country he will be band from returning to the city clubs for 3 years.

I think it will only make players choose carefully their playing career for 3 years!

Plus it only takes a bad year (drought) on the land for the well to dry up for those country clubs. Bad position to be in if you are a first year player in the country and knowing full well you cannot return to the city for 2 more years.
nos
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

Postby jo172 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:16 pm

nos wrote:Survival of the Fittest...

Have heard that the league are working with CFL to prevent players chasing money outside of the Metro. The proposal I have heard is that if a player chooses to seek money outside of the Metro comp and does go to the country he will be band from returning to the city clubs for 3 years.

I think it will only make players choose carefully their playing career for 3 years!

Plus it only takes a bad year (drought) on the land for the well to dry up for those country clubs. Bad position to be in if you are a first year player in the country and knowing full well you cannot return to the city for 2 more years.

Instinctively my suspicion is the Courts would take a very dim view of a by-law/regulation like that. Does not seem to be a reasonably proportionate restraint of trade
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby nos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Well I have heard from within the walls of the league that it is going to be a well sort after option...
nos
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:00 pm

we all know of an ex afl player who was paid 50 thousand dollars upfront to play this year they went on to win a flag in div 1
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Been liked: 155 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Sounds like their cutting off the nose to spite the face to me
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:01 pm

In return, country teams will actively discourage their juniors from going out to the league clubs.
What constitutes country as well? The SFL is still classified a country competition even though they are entirely within the Adelaide Metropolitan area. Much of the Hills FL is metro.

What about a lad that does a short term contract up at Roxby and plays for the local team there?
How many different clauses would they have to put into it?

All I can see happening out of this whole player cap thing is that the same players will just drive an extra hour across the border and play in the Wimmera FL or Horsham District FL or South West District FL
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Ahh, my old stomping ground.

There's already been evidence of blokes travelling as far as Nhill (WImmera League) but you wouldn't find too many would travel much further.

District League now extends down to Edenhope, which is still an hour out of Naracoorte but I think but even still, with teams having to travel as far as Laharum wouldn't appeal, even for the money offered, that's almost a 6 hour drive for a game of footy.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League