ratio of juniors/non juniors

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: ratio of juniors/non juniors

Postby Jetters » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:02 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Ok so it seems the lower division clubs have high numbers of juniors progressing to senior ranks.

The only reply from a high division team (Walkerville) suggests that the higher you go the less local players there are.
Would be good to get some more numbers from the higher division clubs

We are div 2 and 18/22?
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Jetters » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 pm

jo172 wrote:Would be very curious as to Goodwood's

i think Goodwood were 9/22 in the 'A's, 15/22 in the B's.

They have had a strong group of older players in their As who have played for ages and would have pre-dated their juniors.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby jo172 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:32 am

What the numbers so far show (Goodwood notwithstanding) is the true (and unfortunately obvious and hard to fix) root of Brahma/Mitchell Park/Kilburn's problems.

At it seems a majority of clubs the large majorities of playing groups are made up from junior ranks.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby cracka » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:21 pm

At Onkas last game this year 16 of 21 played juniors for us. 2 of the 5 non juniors have been with us for 5 or more seasons. Of the 47 players who played A grade this year (bad run of injuries) 10 didn't play juniors with us but 7 of those have either been with us for 5 or more seasons or moved to the hills. We had 75 players play footy for us (A & B grade) & about 20 weren't juniors, a lot of those were mates who just filled in for a game or 2 when we were struggling for numbers.
Interesting topic when you look through it.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby cracka » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Our last flag in 94 we had 11 of 20 were Onkas juniors 4 came from other hills clubs (2 as recruits, 2 to play with mates) & 5 recruits from town 2 of them finishing their footy careers with us.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Alan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:45 pm

jo172 wrote:What the numbers so far show (Goodwood notwithstanding) is the true (and unfortunately obvious and hard to fix) root of Brahma/Mitchell Park/Kilburn's problems.

At it seems a majority of clubs the large majorities of playing groups are made up from junior ranks.

maybe only clubs with large numbers of juniors in their sides are putting them here. the others dont want to be seen as another brahma/kilburn
Alan

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Henley

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Henley would be an interesting one in terms how many juniors they play in their A grade side.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Henley would be an interesting one in terms how many juniors they play in their A grade side.

On topic I'd suspect a vast majority of ROCS went to Rostrevor (and played juniors at PNU ;) )

PACOC had 21/22 of their 2nd Semi Final 22 as old PAC boys
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Magnum Force » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Plympton had about 12 in each of the A & B grade
I'm kind of a big deal, people know me
Magnum Force
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby G_Leonard » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:49 am

Footy Chick wrote:Henley would be an interesting one in terms how many juniors they play in their A grade side.

I count 3 from their round 18 side last year (could be one or two more but I don't know all of their player's history)
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby Cohiba » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Jetters wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Ok so it seems the lower division clubs have high numbers of juniors progressing to senior ranks.

The only reply from a high division team (Walkerville) suggests that the higher you go the less local players there are.
Would be good to get some more numbers from the higher division clubs

We are div 2 and 18/22?

Are the 18's all Unley Juniors or are you counting Mercedes players in that number as well?

SMOSH FC and West Lakes FC merger only took place in 1996. Our last A grade premiership was in 2007. From memory I think there were only four Club juniors in that side, the remainder (except for five) were ex college.

Today as the Club becomes more established as the SWLFC.....the ratio of Club players is increasing where the three senior sides (in particular the Reserves and C Grade sides) all have good numbers that have come through the Junior sides. Like many other Clubs with a strong Juniors Programme, the exceptional talent is lost as they get snapped up by the SANFL Clubs. (one always hopes if they don't make the grade or find it all too hard, they'll come home).

Whilst having access to College players is an undeniable advantage, again the exceptional talent usually finds its way to the SANFL, or higher Divisions in some cases. There are a number of Western Clubs all competing to get the services of "School Juniors" to their Clubs so despite being and Old Scholars FC it does not mean we automatically sweep the lottery referring to acquiring big numbers heading to the "Den".

Perhaps one of the reasons you mention as to why the higher Division Clubs have less Juniors in their senior side may be that Club Juniors coming through who aspire to play A grade football, find them competing for spots from either College recruits, or "guns for hire". When unable to break into the senior side or being a fringe player as such they may seek opportunities elsewhere thereby having a disparity in Junior numbers compared with other Clubs. I can't say definitively but there could be a few who will argue the point.

With an 18/22 ratio newly arrived Div 2 side Unley Mercedes clearly is an exception if the 18 are all Juniors from the Unley FC Juniors Programme.....
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Trader » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 pm

jo172 wrote:PACOC had 21/22 of their 2nd Semi Final 22 as old PAC boys

That's an impressive number.

Any other clubs anywhere near that sort of ratio?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby morell » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:32 am

jo172 wrote:What the numbers so far show (Goodwood notwithstanding) is the true (and unfortunately obvious and hard to fix) root of Brahma/Mitchell Park/Kilburn's problems.

Its one of the biggest, that's for sure. Closing the gap between our junior and senior sides has to be part of our strategic planning. We have made massive strides with our Juniors in recent years but it'll be a decade before we reap any benefits in the seniors.

Our 2012 Premiership side had 6 MPFC juniors I think.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby scottroo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:56 am

Morell, not having a dig but how many of those juniors are still there? And how many of the premiership side are still there?
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby morell » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Of the 6 juniors from the 2012 premiership side, most of them are still with us - approx 4 off the top of my head.

Of the premiership side in total ... about 6 or 7.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League