F***ing Umpires

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: F***ing Umpires

Postby BigB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:40 am

They are only human so I am always Ok with the odd error. It's when you get an umpire who doesn't know how to apply the rules and "overblows" the whistle to the detriment of the game, or worse, when you get someone who clearly favours one side over another - thats when it's hard to stay within the code of conduct guidelines. Also, these guys are paid by the participating clubs, fair 'nuff, but usually a fee for service = a reasonable service.
Overall, these guys are fundamental to having a kick, and in the main do OK in a tough job. There are however a few lemons out there who really should give it away and give everyone else a bad name.
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:27 am

BigB wrote:They are only human so I am always Ok with the odd error. It's when you get an umpire who doesn't know how to apply the rules and "overblows" the whistle to the detriment of the game, or worse, when you get someone who clearly favours one side over another - thats when it's hard to stay within the code of conduct guidelines. Also, these guys are paid by the participating clubs, fair 'nuff, but usually a fee for service = a reasonable service.
Overall, these guys are fundamental to having a kick, and in the main do OK in a tough job. There are however a few lemons out there who really should give it away and give everyone else a bad name.

thankfully your umpire did... :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Jetters » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:41 pm

I think the umpires do a reasonable job, maybe 2 games a year you walk off pissed off.

We struggle to attract good football people into umpiring. How many players from your clubs would take up umpiring when they finish playing? I think those are the people we want, and very very few do.

We don't pay them enough considering the football culture towards umpires and the massive barrier to people entering into umpiring it has created.

What would we have to pay to attract these people to umpire??

A sign on fee split between the potential umpire and the club they are coming from may work.

Player X played 100 games, retires and 30, still wants to be part of the game. He gets $250 sign on as an umpire, His club gets $500 (or equivalent reduced subs). The club gets another $250 second year signing.

Each recruited umpire costs $1000.... 75% going back to the clubs.
We cap it 20 umpires.

The league loses 20k in revenue or 20k investment
In return we inject 20 'good football people' into umpiring.
More umpires, hopefully good umpires, increases competition for spots, competition leads to accountability.
A $500 return to clubs is significant enough for them to recruit these umpires for us.

I would also stagger the pay more to again encourage competition and increase accountability
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby cracka » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Its great to see most on here think umpires do a good job, I think they do a great job, I would hate to do it as no matter what someone will say wrong decision. The number of times per game I see a free given that is totally correct & the player will complain out of frustration for getting blatantly caught HTB or whatever is unreal. Then there are spectators who just abuse umpires out of frustration for their team getting flogged. Of course there are some who just don't get it but they are a minority IMO.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:38 am

the N.E.M.J.A has alot of quality umpires coming up in the ranks the SAAFL needs to work to get some of them across and bring them into the ranks
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League