F***ing Umpires

Adelaide Footy League Talk

F***ing Umpires

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 am

Thought there should be a different place to post about the umpires.

FC can u move all the umpire talk to here or just delete this topic if u dont think I should have started it at all. I wont be offended.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Re: F***ing Umpires

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 am

I give this thread 30 minutes.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:03 am

I admire and respect all umpires, they are grossly undervalued and underpaid
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:05 am

Nah all good, I'll move everything when i get a chance.

I'll expect any criticisms to be constructive and not bitching for the sake of it .
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby twobob » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:26 am

I think this is a silly topic, the equation is simple no umpires no footy. What is the alternative lets just play with no umpires and have total anarchy on the footy field. A bad umpire is better than no umpire at all. We should take a leaf out of the books of other sports where the umpires decision is respected and accepted without too much dispute. Maybe you should spend more time on your players mistakes than umpires. Even better idea would be that you spend some time educating all football staff within your clubs about the rules and any alterations to the rules.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby Cohiba » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:34 am

twobob wrote:I think this is a silly topic, the equation is simple no umpires no footy. What is the alternative lets just play with no umpires and have total anarchy on the footy field. A bad umpire is better than no umpire at all. We should take a leaf out of the books of other sports where the umpires decision is respected and accepted without too much dispute. Maybe you should spend more time on your players mistakes than umpires. Even better idea would be that you spend some time educating all football staff within your clubs about the rules and any alterations to the rules.

Yes in every sense.......the exception being "a bad umpire is better than no umpire"........IMO.... a "bad umpire is like having no umpire at all".....
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 am

No one notices a good umpire, that's the way it should be, pay the obvious free's and let the game flow, the intricate AFL introduced rules make it harder for everyone.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:46 am

I thought the AFL umpiring improved dramatically towards the end of the year, suprise what happens when you start rewarding incorrect disposal properly. Seemed to improve after Andy D was moved on which shouldn't be a shock.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Cohiba » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:52 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:No one notices a good umpire, that's the way it should be, pay the obvious free's and let the game flow, the intricate AFL introduced rules make it harder for everyone.

Can't vouch for all other Divisions but perhaps (with one exception)....Umpiring in Divvy 2 was of as a good and consistent standard over an entire season as I have seen..... imo.....
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I thought the AFL umpiring improved dramatically towards the end of the year, suprise what happens when you start rewarding incorrect disposal properly. Seemed to improve after Andy D was moved on which shouldn't be a shock.

Well it couldn't have gone backwards mate.
The rules are to hard to be consistent with, bring back rewarding the player going for the ball and simplify the rest of the "hard to interpret" rules.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 am

Cohiba wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:No one notices a good umpire, that's the way it should be, pay the obvious free's and let the game flow, the intricate AFL introduced rules make it harder for everyone.

Can't vouch for all other Divisions but perhaps (with one exception)....Umpiring in Divvy 2 was of as a good and consistent standard over an entire season as I have seen..... imo.....

Good to hear. You seem very learned so I'd respect your views.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Cohiba » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

Good to hear. You seem very learned so I'd respect your views.

"Seem" LM...!!!!!....... :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:22 am

He also looks and sounds very learned as well.

He's a true master of disguise, aren't ya @Cohiba? ;) 8)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:41 am

easier to blame the the umpire then to blame the player ....if you want free kicks be first to the ball for a ruckmen learn about keeping apart until the ball is released by boundary umpire if you are a defender try not holding or chopping the arm or if you are a forward line player try not diving for a free kick and finally for the midfield they give away the most free kicks mainly because they are second to the ball and thats mainly because of the fitness level more often then not its a high tackle or in the back then they focus on talking back to the umpire and the player won the free either plays on or a 25m penalty is given

but hey easier to knock a umpire then to look in your own back yard
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Been liked: 155 times

Postby Arch44 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:34 pm

West Croydon are after a new Bgrade umpire if any one is or knows anyone that is interested?
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby bird of prey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:38 pm

As someone that complains more than most on the footy field, I've never sworn at umpires or called names. You gotta respect what they do. The games where I've managed to stay calm and not question every 50-50 decision, I've been much more likely to get a free kick if it's there. It's amazing when you're more focused on the ball rather than the man or the umpire, that you're far more likely to get something in your favour. Umps are told to protect the player going for the ball at the end of the day.

An umpires decision is only paid on what they actually see. If they are watching from a different angle, then they're likely to see something different to what others would.
I bet if we taped all games and watched close ups of those "bullshit decisions", I reckon you'd be surprised how often they're right.

Also, the umps are instructed to pay certain free kicks. So while we all may think it bullshit, it's what the umps are told to do (eg. A player ducking their head into a player, actually receives a free for "too high", even though he initiates the contact.)

And when the white line fever stops once the final siren goes, it's hard to think that the umpire is actually out there to cheat for a particular side. (In the upper divisions that is anyway.....)
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Cohiba wrote:

Are you referring to the A grade umpires or the b grade?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Footy Follower » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Bingo bango! Don't pay a free kick unless it is obviously there. This keeps everyone happy.
Also having a bad umpire is only worse when it is at reserves level as generally the bad decisions are made to benefit the team the umpire comes from (nice way of saying cheating). When this happens it creates havic on the field, players get frustrated and thats when fights start!
Footy Follower
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Cohiba » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:09 am

Footy Chick wrote:He also looks and sounds very learned as well.

He's a true master of disguise, aren't ya @Cohiba? ;) 8)

I wish ....alas they don't have "disguises" in my size ..... :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Postby Cohiba » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:13 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
Cohiba wrote:

Are you referring to the A grade umpires or the b grade?

A grade......and upon reflection...have seen a lot worse in the reserves in past seasons..........
Cohiba
Reserves

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League