u18's

Adelaide Footy League Talk

u18's

Postby Demon Juke » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Does anybody no what day there club have nominated there u18's for Sat or Sun, just interested to see what clubs think is a better day for the 18's. I would have thought most clubs play some u18's in the seniors on Sat then play some games on a Sun at u18's level.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: u18's

Postby beef » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:22 am

No Idea what day, I'd assume Sunday. Did hear last night that the league is trying to make the players only play once a week. Once a player plays seniors he is not allowed to play u/18's again. Don't know if true as it was a pretty unreliable source.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 254 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:59 am

Demon Juke wrote:Does anybody no what day there club have nominated there u18's for Sat or Sun, just interested to see what clubs think is a better day for the 18's. I would have thought most clubs play some u18's in the seniors on Sat then play some games on a Sun at u18's level.

Sundays. Far more convenient for us.

FWIW the new eligibility rules:

12. UNDER 18 DIVISIONS
12.2. Under 18 team(s) shall be restricted to include only players whom are under 19 years of age prior to the first (1st) day of July in the year in which they are applying to play in The League.
12.3. Should a player who turns 18 years of age prior to the first (1st) day of January in the year which they are playing and play senior football at any level in the current year they are disqualified from playing Under 18 football for the remainder of that season.

So anyone who turned 18 in 2014 and plays senior football this year will no longer be eligible for under 18s (not unreasonable, but may put some sides under numbers stress).
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Pag » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:35 am

jo172 wrote:
Demon Juke wrote:Does anybody no what day there club have nominated there u18's for Sat or Sun, just interested to see what clubs think is a better day for the 18's. I would have thought most clubs play some u18's in the seniors on Sat then play some games on a Sun at u18's level.

12. UNDER 18 DIVISIONS
12.2. Under 18 team(s) shall be restricted to include only players whom are under 19 years of age prior to the first (1st) day of July in the year in which they are applying to play in The League.
12.3. Should a player who turns 18 years of age prior to the first (1st) day of January in the year which they are playing and play senior football at any level in the current year they are disqualified from playing Under 18 football for the remainder of that season.

So anyone who turned 18 in 2014 and plays senior football this year will no longer be eligible for under 18s (not unreasonable, but may put some sides under numbers stress).

So it's Under 18.5, and if you're in the .5 bracket and you play seniors you become a senior footballer?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:50 pm

jo172 wrote:

12. UNDER 18 DIVISIONS

If these rules were in placed last year, that would of ruled out half of our premiership winning side.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Pag » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
jo172 wrote:

12. UNDER 18 DIVISIONS

If these rules were in placed last year, that would of ruled out half of our premiership winning side.

You won an Under 18 flag with half an Under 19 side. That shouldn't have been allowed to happen anyway. Not saying it was your fault, you were working within the rules set, but it shouldn't have been able to occur in the first place.
Pag
Coach

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:34 am

Pag wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:
jo172 wrote:

12. UNDER 18 DIVISIONS

You won an Under 18 flag with half an Under 19 side. That shouldn't have been allowed to happen anyway. Not saying it was your fault, you were working within the rules set, but it shouldn't have been able to occur in the first place.

I think you'll find that was the case with almost every U18's team last year.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby jo172 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:49 am

Blackwhite wrote:
Pag wrote:

I think you'll find that was the case with almost every U18's team last year.

Last year's premierships aside, what is the only potential problem is how many sides were relying on 19 year olds to ensure they filled out their (second/third/fourth/fifth side) and whether this will result in lower grade and/or Under 18 forefits as the year goes on.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Pag » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:48 am

We had 3 playing Under 18s playing as over-agers last year, IMO they should be playing senior footy and senior footy only.
Pag
Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57 am

Pag wrote:We had 3 playing Under 18s playing as over-agers last year, IMO they should be playing senior footy and senior footy only.

I think it depends on the kid in all honesty.

Some will benefit from a year as over-agers, others it's a waste.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Have Ingle Farm ditched their U18 side?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby the milky bar kid » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:05 am

Q. wrote:Have Ingle Farm ditched their U18 side?

Yes, unfortunately the club has had to withdraw this team.
The numbers were very close to the side going around again, but this would have put a great deal of pressure on the under 16 side. So based on the gap from under 14 to under 18 v the gap from under 16 to senior, the decision was made to withdraw.

On a very positive note, it's going to be really exciting to see these kids growing & developing in a senior environment!
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Pag » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:32 pm

U18 Divisions for 2015, for those not aware:

Red
Fitzroy
Broadview
Mitcham
Woodville South
Portland
Eastern Park
Salisbury
Hope Valley
Gaza
Gepps Cross

Yellow
TTG
PNU
Modbury
Golden Grove
SHOC
Port District
Henley
Goodwood
Flinders Park
Pag
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:37 pm

Wow, I thought 3 divs would've romped it in....
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Pag wrote:U18 Divisions for 2015, for those not aware:

Red
Fitzroy
Broadview
Mitcham
Woodville South
Portland
Eastern Park
Salisbury
Hope Valley
Gaza
Gepps Cross

Yellow
TTG
PNU
Modbury
Golden Grove
SHOC
Port District
Henley
Goodwood
Flinders Park

Interesting move to effectively go to "A" and "B" rather than geographical divisions.

I undestand past performance is a reliable indicator of future performance in juniors but it's definitely not flawless. You could get the occassional anomaly that results in some rather harsh seasons for some sides.

I wonder if the League would explore what they (used to) do in NEMJFA where they would explore re-grading after 3 rounds.

EDIT- Is the Mitcham team another Mitcham/Unley hybrid? @jetters?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Wow, I thought 3 divs would've romped it in....

What did you perceive to be the benefit of three divisions out of curiosity?

I suppose Hectorville not getting a team up would have meant one div would only have had six sides
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:39 pm

jo172 wrote:

I suppose Hectorville not getting a team up would have meant one div would only have had six sides

Not having an in depth look at it but on the face of it, it appeared a more even spread of teams.

SHOC by the way, are ingenious by having their 2nd XVIII (if you will) playing in our comp. Other colleges should follow....
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Not having an in depth look at it but on the face of it, it appeared a more even spread of teams.

SHOC by the way, are ingenious by having their 2nd XVIII (if you will) playing in our comp. Other colleges should follow....

Is it their second XVIII though? Surely Sacred Heart (the School) still has multiple senior footy sides?

But in terms of the overall idea (which I think is what you mean) having an Old Colls junior side you can see how it would be a tremendous advatage for SHOC.

I tend to suspect you're ultimately doing the kids a disservice though (if this idea was extended to Old Colls Clubs doing an entire junior program through to Under 8s for example) in that parents would be doing their best to ensure their kids don't meet anyone other than other private school children.

I'm also a bit surprised that there hasn't been any pushback from the school with some danger that it may devalue College Footy?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby BigB » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Mitcham decided to go it alone. Unley have made the decision to use the DGrade as the youth development pathway given the pure c&d grade comp in div 8.
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby beef » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:15 pm

BigB wrote:Mitcham decided to go it alone. Unley have made the decision to use the DGrade as the youth development pathway given the pure c&d grade comp in div 8.

Interesting desicion to put your kids in the D grade comp. We and some other clubs have discouraged this in the past. Each to their own.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 254 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League