Anzac Day

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Anzac Day

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:29 pm

As long as you don't sell alchohol, i can accept starting prior to 12. Rather clubs waited til after 12...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:40 pm

I'm not a fan of before midday either - but if the RSL don't wish death upon anyone choosing to play before midday, then why should we....
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby morell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeah I suppose if the schedule falls that way, then there isn't much you can do. But not being able to play footy or drink beer on Good Friday, whilst we can (in fact encouraged) on ANZAC day, is one of my pet peeves.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I'm not a fan of before midday either - but if the RSL don't wish death upon anyone choosing to play before midday, then why should we....

The RSL have always taken the line that the Diggers fought for our freedom and as a result do not want to impose restrictions on us going on with our regular life. Part of that is playing football on Saturdays during the winter.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby blublurag » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:40 pm

We asked our local RSL about playing before midday and their response was that anything that encourages more people to be involved in remembering the Anzac spirit the better. So they were all for it. Of course, at our level we don't charge for entry etc as this would then be impacted by the Act.
blublurag
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby morell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:03 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I'm not a fan of before midday either - but if the RSL don't wish death upon anyone choosing to play before midday, then why should we....

The RSL have always taken the line that the Diggers fought for our freedom and as a result do not want to impose restrictions on us going on with our regular life. Part of that is playing football on Saturdays during the winter.
Even been in a position socially where someone offers something, that technically, sure, they said it's fine, but really it felt like you should have politely declined out of respect?
morell
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:14 pm

morell wrote:

Even been in a position socially where someone offers something, that technically, sure, they said it's fine, but really it felt like you should have politely declined out of respect?

Like going third man in ?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby morell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:25 pm

Hahahahaha. We don't want to hear about your love life Mr Beefy.

And its only suss if there's eye contact.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about a ruck contest, which would result in much embarrassment on my behalf.
morell
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:30 pm

No eye contact mr beefy style
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm

morell wrote:

Absolutely, hence why we are starting our junior games at 12pm this year. Not all facilities have that luxury however (as in our case in 2009)

I do not see it is disrespectful if games are played prior to 12pm however, there are many ways to commemorate the occasion without bringing everything to a standstill. 15 years ago we would not even be having the discussion, however it has become trendy in the last few years (which is not a bad thing) to turn it into an event, a lot of that can be attributed to the AFL glamourising it.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby carey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:01 pm

This bullshit arguement happens every year....
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby morell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:46 pm

morell wrote:

Absolutely, hence why we are starting our junior games at 12pm this year. Not all facilities have that luxury however (as in our case in 2009)

I do not see it is disrespectful if games are played prior to 12pm however, there are many ways to commemorate the occasion without bringing everything to a standstill. 15 years ago we would not even be having the discussion, however it has become trendy in the last few years (which is not a bad thing) to turn it into an event, a lot of that can be attributed to the AFL glamourising it.
Words like "trendy" , "event", "glamourise" should never be used in the same sentence with ANZAC Day, unless its to highlight what it shouldn't be about.

It's not a massive issue, but I find the contradiction with our cultural position with Good Friday startling.

Good Friday - Taco shop owner dies 2000 years ago and does a David Copperfield = day of respect, mourning, everything closed, no football, no beers, no meat.

ANZAC Day - marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War = yay! Footy! VB! WAR! Grrrr! Union Jack (plus stars) flags, woo hooooo!
morell
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:01 pm

I don't know what your on but i have beer, meat and can watch the sanfl if i choose, might even throw the leg over if mrs beefy is conducive to it.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:22 am

I was more referring to our Cultural understanding of the two days, rather than specific individuals. I eat steak, swear, burp, fart and blaspheme on Good Friday just cos.

For example, it is in South Australia's liquor licensing act that you are unable to sell alcohol on Good Friday. Shops are unable to open. The AFL's viewpoint is that absolutely no football should be played (I think this will change). Granted there is the SANFL, but I have very little time for that organisation.

It would be nice that we had the same sort of respect and rules for ANZAC Day instead, is all I am saying.
morell
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:00 pm

morell wrote:I was more referring to our Cultural understanding of the two days, rather than specific individuals. I eat steak, swear, burp, fart and blaspheme on Good Friday just cos.

For example, it is in South Australia's liquor licensing act that you are unable to sell alcohol on Good Friday. Shops are unable to open. The AFL's viewpoint is that absolutely no football should be played (I think this will change). Granted there is the SANFL, but I have very little time for that organisation.

It would be nice that we had the same sort of respect and rules for ANZAC Day instead, is all I am saying.

can still get a drink on Good Friday early morning mass service if your that hard up ;)
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby morell » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Don't get me started on how **** ed up it is that people go to an altar to imitate drinking blood and eating flesh.
morell
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:11 pm

morell wrote:Don't get me started on how **** ed up it is that people go to an altar to imitate drinking blood and eating flesh.

Oh dear, never talk religion
especially with an old scholar 8)
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:54 pm

Executive Member wrote:
morell wrote:I was more referring to our Cultural understanding of the two days, rather than specific individuals. I eat steak, swear, burp, fart and blaspheme on Good Friday just cos.

can still get a drink on Good Friday early morning mass service if your that hard up ;)

No communion is served on Good Friday (well at least by the Catholics, don't know about other denominations), just the stations of the cross, not normal mass
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Jase » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:08 pm

We had Communion on Good Friday at our service (Baptist)... we also had a liturgical service, the only time during the year that we do this. ..

If anyone's interested....

:)
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Old Dog New Tricks » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:24 pm

morell wrote:For example, it is in South Australia's liquor licensing act that you are unable to sell alcohol on Good Friday. Shops are unable to open

Are you sure about that or are you just grabbing pieces of the LL Act or shoppies for that matter to suit your self fulfilling argument
Old Dog New Tricks
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League