Best and worst grounds.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Best and worst grounds.

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Playing home games at Hillcrest Hospital was always interesting!

Who's ground was that?

Played under 17's there and we had three "special people" constantly run on the ground totally naked. The laid in the centre square playing in the mud
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby marbles » Tue May 12, 2015 3:12 pm

Any grounds that have the fence all around, with sponsor signs and car enabled parking right around.

adds to a great atmosphere

in comparison to say parklands footy
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Fricky » Tue May 12, 2015 3:45 pm

RustyCage wrote:As a junior I hated playing at Walkerville, crap thick mud in the middle that you could hardly walk in.

Enjoyed Modbury and Tea Tree Gully though, a better quality mud.

Playing home games at Hillcrest Hospital was always interesting!

The middle hasn't changed much. With this early season rain we're in for a muddy year at Walkerville.

Worst
TTG
EP

Best
Salisbury
SPOC
Prospect
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby marbles » Tue May 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Suri wrote:
RustyCage wrote:As a junior I hated playing at Walkerville, crap thick mud in the middle that you could hardly walk in.

Enjoyed Modbury and Tea Tree Gully though, a better quality mud.

Playing home games at Hillcrest Hospital was always interesting!

The middle hasn't changed much. With this early season rain we're in for a muddy year at Walkerville.

Worst
TTG
EP

does eastern park still have that stupid massive tree 3 metres behind the goal line?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Playing home games at Hillcrest Hospital was always interesting!

Who's ground was that?

Played under 17's there and we had three "special people" constantly run on the ground totally naked. The laid in the centre square playing in the mud

Sorry man, that was from staying at the Ark too late the night before.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Trader » Tue May 12, 2015 8:19 pm

jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Ah, i just remember the grand plan to make half the visitors a store room as the room next to the trainers room was vast becoming too small

We still have a series of grand plans for it. All cost prohibitive.

We also suspect that the big second changeroom (and central location and fence) plays a reasonable roll in securing neutral grand finals when necessary

Is a fence still necessary to host finals?
I understand you guys no longer have a complete fence as part of the playground redevelopment?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby wassprinttospace » Tue May 12, 2015 9:50 pm

zedman wrote:
Zartan wrote:
zedman wrote:
Based on visitor changerooms
Best
blackfriars oval, whilst horrible, does have great visitor facilities...

Their 'home' change rooms are extremely good, but never was a fan of the visiors rooms with the bench/rack whatever you call it in the middle of the room

the rack is there to dry out the B grade jumpers..dont touch the door handles in there either..

jeepers ...
wassprinttospace
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Blackfriars OS

Postby jo172 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:59 am

Trader wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Ah, i just remember the grand plan to make half the visitors a store room as the room next to the trainers room was vast becoming too small

We still have a series of grand plans for it. All cost prohibitive.

We also suspect that the big second changeroom (and central location and fence) plays a reasonable roll in securing neutral grand finals when necessary

Is a fence still necessary to host finals?
I understand you guys no longer have a complete fence as part of the playground redevelopment?

Fence necessary for Grand FInals. They've taken down a not insignificant portion of it (over our strenuous objections, but hey, why listen to the 700 member football club over the needs of a play ground 10 people use on a good weekend).

Will be pretty easy to erect some portable ones across that patch though.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am

Haven't been to too many ovals in the SAAFL yet but I reckon Mitchell Park goes all right - a lot better than where we came from, with the bloody corellas tearing up the grass each summer and big holes in front of the northern goals - bloke from Hackham nearly broke his ankle in our goalsquare once. People complain about the MP visitors' changerooms but not having been in them, I can't comment.

Eastern Park is a craphole, Goodwood's not bad, with a beaut playground for the kids to let off some steam, Mawson Lakes was better than I expected, and on the odd occasion I've ended up in Houghton on my way to Kersbrook or Mt Pleasant (I swear I can only ever find Houghton by accident, it's impossible to get there if you're TRYING to get there), the oval's looked pretty good too. Worst oval I've ever seen was Greenacres back in '09. The centre smelt like the zoo and there were bits of rubbish embedded in the mud. :YMSICK:
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby HH3 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Best ovals would be Kilburn and Thebby.

Worst oval Ive ever played on was Flagstaff Hill in 2010 when I played for Hackham. I played there a few times prior and it was alright, but that time it was horrible. 99% mud. Was a very good day to wear my white shorts, coz when I'd finished I had an extra home pair........ (they were permanently brown afterwards.)

Flaggies.jpg
Flaggies.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Flaggies 2.jpg
Flaggies 2.jpg (74.34 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Also didnt rate Aldinga, Morphy Parks or Lonsdale in the SFL. The only one that was close to oval shape was Aldinga....but it was usually in terrible condition, and the wind that kicks up down there is terrible.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Orts » Wed May 13, 2015 12:51 pm

How good is Old Igs' oval at the moment! It has probably gone from one of the worst ovals in the top 3 divisions to one of the best over the last few years. Of course it helps having SACA as your summer tenant maintaining the oval...
Orts

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Old Ignatians

Postby Footy Smart » Wed May 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Orts wrote:How good is Old Igs' oval at the moment! It has probably gone from one of the worst ovals in the top 3 divisions to one of the best over the last few years. Of course it helps having SACA as your summer tenant maintaining the oval...

Drove past it yesty, looking like carpet!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby valleys07 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Orts wrote:How good is Old Igs' oval at the moment! It has probably gone from one of the worst ovals in the top 3 divisions to one of the best over the last few years. Of course it helps having SACA as your summer tenant maintaining the oval...

Is that the ground on West Terrace?
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Pag » Wed May 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

Is it still on a slope or has it been levelled out?

I remember getting there one day probably 7-8 years ago, going for a walk out on the ground before the twos game and finding a couple of used condoms on the West Tce wing.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby S Demon » Wed May 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Glenunga's oval late last year was the worst I've seen in some time. Something to do with the council stuffing up the drainage.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Orts » Wed May 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Pag wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

I remember getting there one day probably 7-8 years ago, going for a walk out on the ground before the twos game and finding a couple of used condoms on the West Tce wing.

They've levelled out the playing surface although there is still a bit of a slope from the West Terrace side.

And yes, back in the glory days of Heaven and Joplins, we'd find a few surprises on the oval at the start of the B grade...
Orts

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Old Ignatians

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Pag wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

Where else can you take your new found date from across the road at 2am?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed May 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

I saw a few photos of it from when our C and D grade played there and couldn't believe my eyes. By the looks of things it's definitely a vast improvement from previous years!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby heater31 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:22 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

I saw a few photos of it from when our C and D grade played there and couldn't believe my eyes. By the looks of things it's definitely a vast improvement from previous years!

Think there are plans for picket fences and new sideline facilities as SACA are looking for a more permanent venue to host Women's National level games and 2nd XI as well.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Failed Creation » Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

Where else can you take your new found date from across the road at 2am?

An early night for you, LM?
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League