Re: We're half way there

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
carey wrote:Surprises for me are

Salisbury
Brahma
Golden Grove
PNU

Golden Grove you thought would do better, or worse?

No one has mentioned Havens?

We like to fly under the radar. Very humble bunch of blokes.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:30 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

Salisbury
Brahma
Golden Grove
PNU

The only surprise there was the premiership t-shirt printer not getting the go ahead until round 1 ;)
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Arch44 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Havens usually mention Havens its a given.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Do you have anything constructive to add? :roll:

The Raggies were always going to be competitive but i'm not sure anyone expected them to sit on top with no losses.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Constructive Post incoming.....

Personally, I thought going from 5 to 4 would bring a bigger challenge than we've faced so far. After that GF loss last year, I thought we had the strongest team in Divvy 5, and was pretty surprised we lost how we did. (Missing a key back pocket in the A's hurt I think).

So, then I rock up to preseason and see this bunch of players that have come to play with Andy Lipson (all guys he coached at Port Maggies) and mates of Matt Reed, etc. And knew straight away I was a full-time B grader at best.

These young guys trained harder than I've ever seen someone train before, and the way they go about their footy is as close to professional as I'll ever come.

People rag on Tom Lipson, but for the obvious wanker he is, he has a good footy mind, and adds heaps to the team from the sidelines. I would have loved to have played some footy with him, but our injuries happened at different times, meaning I never got to.

You would think bringing guys into the As would push a few guys down, but with injuries, etc, the Bs are mostly the same blokes that played Bs for the last 3 or 4 years. Lots of natural ability, and we go out there aiming to enjoy ourselves. As a backman, the last 4 games have been shithouse, because we've kicked something like 110+ goals in the 4 games, meaning not much ball down my end.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:02 pm

HH3 wrote:Constructive Post incoming.....

Personally, I thought going from 5 to 4 would bring a bigger challenge than we've faced so far. After that GF loss last year, I thought we had the strongest team in Divvy 5, and was pretty surprised we lost how we did. (Missing a key back pocket in the A's hurt I think).

So, then I rock up to preseason and see this bunch of players that have come to play with Andy Lipson (all guys he coached at Port Maggies) and mates of Matt Reed, etc. And knew straight away I was a full-time B grader at best.

These young guys trained harder than I've ever seen someone train before, and the way they go about their footy is as close to professional as I'll ever come.

People rag on Tom Lipson, but for the obvious wanker he is, he has a good footy mind, and adds heaps to the team from the sidelines. I would have loved to have played some footy with him, but our injuries happened at different times, meaning I never got to.

You would think bringing guys into the As would push a few guys down, but with injuries, etc, the Bs are mostly the same blokes that played Bs for the last 3 or 4 years. Lots of natural ability, and we go out there aiming to enjoy ourselves. As a backman, the last 4 games have been shithouse, because we've kicked something like 110+ goals in the 4 games, meaning not much ball down my end.

Well said mate.

Massive test for us this Saturday against HV, it'll really show us where we're at.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times

Postby carey » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

Salisbury
Brahma
Golden Grove
PNU

Thought Brahma and GG would be better and thought PNU and Salisbury may struggle.

I guess with Salisbury it's a common theme they do ok go up but being a club who don't pay they come straight back down bit of a roller coaster. Brahma is well documented. PNU up to Div 1 new kids on the block and going very well. And I guess with GG I just thought they'd go very well.

I'm not surprised with Havens, Already had a good list added some quality lads.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Was very impressed with Unley Mercedes in both their A's & B's when they played us . Very well structured and ran the ball well a good mix all over the board.

PNU have surprised me in D1 but it is a long season in the top grade when coming from D2 hope they can do well in the second half could well be the surprise packet of the year.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby jo172 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:02 am

I have said this elsewhere on the site, but I think a few factors, (mainly the points system), has seen the gap between the top three divisions diminish significantly relative to what it was 5 years ago.

I suspect the days of a promoted team significantly struggling or a demoted team winning easily are a lot more rare than they once were and this pattern will continue.

I'd like to check the box for TTG to be the big surprise. All the pre-season scuttlebutt on here had them in a Kilburn/Mitchell Park/Brahma position. Doing very well, particularly without bringing in many "mature" recruits, but instead relying on some very talented Under 18s to come in and play.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Burras » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:18 am

Hope Valley is a big surprise to me. I would have had them top 3 at the start of this year...

Modbury and Unley both surprises as well. Going up and dominating the way they are
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:55 am

Div 6:
Smithfield - expected to be strong, but I think the big surprise is just how dominant they are after coming up from D7.. A cut above.
Lockleys - Always competitive, but have been probably the surprise side of the competition, going quietly about their business and sitting 2nd.
Trinity OS - No surprises here, expected to be competitive and around the mark after coming down from D5.
Ingle Farm - Plenty of rumours off season of a mass exodus, combined with yet another new coach had the Farmers bottom 2 in most peoples tips.
West Croydon - Pre-season favourite for many, some may be surprised by their slow start, but it's very similar to last year where they started slow.
Fitzroy - No surprises here, mid-table side as expected.
Brahma Lodge - The obvious big surprise, recruited well, new coach, down from D5 most had locked them in for a GF spot... plenty of work ahead of them
Mawson Lakes - Like Ingle Farm were expected to struggle losing a lot of key players and their coach, ladder position is no surprise but their style of play and endevour has surprised - more competitive than expected.
Central United - Same boat as Ingle Farm and Mawson Lakes, a young side but were expected to be well outside the relegation zone.
Bye - no surprises here, always tough to beat, yet to taste defeat.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:02 pm

I thought the Units would struggle with their out list.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby S Demon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:11 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Well said mate.

Massive test for us this Saturday against HV, it'll really show us where we're at.

I think being 8-0 and top of the ladder might really show you where you are at, rather than a side that's 2-5 and sitting 7th...
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:39 pm

S Demon wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Well said mate.

I think being 8-0 and top of the ladder might really show you where you are at, rather than a side that's 2-5 and sitting 7th...

Reckon he was talking about the B grade
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
S Demon wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Well said mate.

Reckon he was talking about the B grade

Correct.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:We gotta hold on to what we've got.

Don't go all Bon Jovi on us, LM...

Oh come on, how many of you guys didn't break into chorus after first reading the title?

"Woah, oh, living on a prayyyyyyer"

I did, only came into this thread to post, whoah oh, livin on a prayer.... :lol:
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League