A tribute to the coach

Adelaide Footy League Talk

A tribute to the coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:55 pm

A few posts in the Phil Walsh thread got me thinking about the coaches in my life.
I remember them all. Some I might not want to - one crushed my dreams - but they've all been part of my life.

So...

To my first coach, my father, we've had some rough times but thank you for instilling a love of the game and good sportmanship in me.
Tom Zorich, my under 13s CDFC coach for making me feel 10-feet tall at such a young age.
To Keith Porter, our under 14s premiership coach, a man who was a second, or only father, to so many of my team-mates and whose family became the family of all of us, thank you. I still have a bond with so many who played with you during that time.
Mark Seelander, thanks for refocusing my direction in life - you might not know it, but me being able to head into my profession was inspired by you.
Richard Bednall for allowing me the honour of being my school's first, First XVIII captain and giving me a chance to be a leader.
Rob Fraser, my first senior coach and a man I still love catching up with, thank you.
Steve Smith, a man now going through tough times, but who always had a smile and a laugh when he was our RFL 2000 B grade premiership coach.
Paul Mitchell for making footy fun again and for believing in me, on and off the footy field.
Travis Dubrich - just for being the big, funny bastard you are.
And, to my final coach, Steve Johnson - a club servant, who amazed me as he continued to pile up games well into his 40s and allowed me to do what I wanted up forward in my final year.

Over to you blokes.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: A tribute to the coach

Postby jo172 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:17 am

Have tried my hand at junior coaching and I'm bloody grateful for every coach I've ever had (and continue to have)

I don't have it in me to give all their proper due, but the effect Garry McIntosh and Tom Javor have had on me as a footballer and as a person (although I suspect neither wants to take the blame for the former) has made me a tremendously better person with a far far better understanding of the concepts of loyalty, club and community than I had until I had the privilege of being under them.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:40 am

My old man was the first coach I ever had. Went to Primary School sign up day and was told we didn't have a coach. I remembered my Dad telling me stories of how he coached Kenilworth juniors in the 70's and those kids went on to become to that date part of the greatest team our clubs Seniors have ever had. I told the School Footy committee that "My Dad will do it". I then went home and told him what I did when he got home from work. He always said that it didn't matter what the result was, as long as you enjoyed playing and had fun that's all that matters and it doesn't matter what age you are or what league you played in. His greatest memory of that side was coming out for years to come and watching and supporting those kids.

Best coach I have ever had and people familiar with North Adelaide would most likely know him is Peter South. A bloke who taught you about life as a young bloke. Ben Porter introduced him to our club in 2003. Our B's were the joke of the Amateur League for 20 years and this year we had a shocking run of injuries early and we went to 2nd placed Golden Grove with 16 players in the 2's with a record of 1-6. Southys ability to get the spirits up through the game was outstanding and it was the best 27 goal loss you have seen. The next week the B's had 15 inclusions and we smashed 4th placed Brahma Lodge by 25 goals. From then we went on a run of 11-2 and lost the prelim by 2 kicks. Southy was the only coach I ever had that as soon as I woke up on a Saturday I Charged out of bed, in to the shower and couldn't wait to get to the ground to play for him. An opinion shared by many at the Kenilworth Football Club. Ben Porter through this time was also outstanding with his ability to install a great family based and mate ship culture to the club.

Steve Zweck did a lot of hard yards in tough years. Probably the most knowledgable footy coach I have played for in terms of the opposition.

Scott Raysons passion is still admired and I think he's a major reason why we won 4 senior flags in 4 years through his work in the juniors. I loved playing in his sides, he installed trust in each other and it didn't matter how the game was going or how much we were down by,I trusted my mates that together we would still win. We won back to back flags and the confidence we structurally had I'll never experience again.

Shane Baldock is very good but never played for him and I think our new coaching panel is also very good.

Well done on a great thread Watcher....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby morell » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:40 am

Good idea Dogwatcher.

My first football coach was Trevor "Wal" Bennetts. Like many since he was my coach when I started the game he is probably my favourite. Stern but fair. A marvelous leader. A mans man. Would probably shake his head in dismay at the modern footballer - I remember him blasting me when I wore a beanie on a warm up lap. These days kids wear their pajamas until they're cosy. Banned long sleeve guerseys. Had to have footballs pumped up to the absolute finger breaking maximum.

Second coach was Darren Butler. An all around great bloke who cared deeply for his players. A different thinker about football along the lines of a Sheedy, Darren was a bit crazy, which is perhaps why I liked him so much. Perhaps a level ahead of where Mitchell Park were at he often had us with our heads spinning after a drill instruction. I still get a kick out of seeing Darren at the club every now and then and enjoy catching up when we can.

Third coach was Wayne Wyld. A very astute coach and football person. Implemented significant change and standards that the club really needed. Old school in thought processes and methodology. Started coaching the year after my first knee reconstruction and I was struggling physically and got frustrated. Along with not really clicking with Wayne meant I wasn't enjoying my football when he was Coach. Nothing to do with him really and it finished with me taking the next year off of football. Now a gun off field administrator and sa footy poster.

Fourth Coach was Scott Weekley. A friend before a coach and the thought of playing under him with some of my older mates got me out of retirement. Scooter is the best tactical coach I've played under. Particularly at the lower levels. He understands better than most how to structure up a team with limited natural talent and squeeze the most out of it. Would be coaching higher if he had a bigger network of people to recruit from. Had a surprisingly good rev up too, my fav was before we played SHOC one day and their attitude towards our football club. Was on point.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:06 am

Wal is a ripper bloke.

Scooter has been exceptional for us this year especially over the last 2 weeks when we come up against sides for the 2nd time after seeing them first up.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League