I think you will find Wilson wasn't on unders mate haha
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: SAAFL FINALS WEEK 1 (FINAL)

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:10 pm

wonder_kid wrote:I think you will find Wilson wasn't on unders mate haha

For an ex AFL footballer, state league state player and what he could of got at country level and would have deserved to get (absolute class act both on and off the field) I reckon he was on unders. Personally I reckon at that point in time clubs would have literally given him a blank check to write on lol. Arguably the best ever player to wear an EP Guernsey.

All I'm saying is I don't think it's fair to puts EP's rise and fall in the category of striking oil, and then the oil running out.

There was a lot more to it than that imho, there was alot of luck and different circumstances which led to that playing group being together with the likes off Rick Butler coming back etc etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wonder_kid » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:14 pm

That div 2 side was an amazing side I reckon Corey noble would be the best player to wear the demon guernsey but that's just my opinion Wilbur was a star so was gatto and Taylor butler as well one quality midfield there
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:18 pm

wonder_kid wrote:That div 2 side was an amazing side I reckon Corey noble would be the best player to wear the demon guernsey but that's just my opinion Wilbur was a star so was gatto and Taylor butler as well one quality midfield there

Agree about Corey, I would love to see EP and all time best team

That div2 side was amazing and like I said I thought there was just alot of lucky timing as well

Ben Hancock was another who came back around that period, Peter Dempsey was another who was picked up through Adrian Wilson and was an absolute star. Adam Walloschek was another who had a few years off footy after finishing playing underage and reserves at Centrals, it just so happened he wanted to have a crack at footy again and all the other local sides where he had played juniors were in div5 and below, he wanted a better standard and EP was the highest North side was just a case of good luck. I recommended him to the dees and he knew a few of the boys, he reckons that was the time of his life so u would think he would buy me at least one beer hey.
whufc
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:19 pm

wonder_kid wrote:That div 2 side was an amazing side I reckon Corey noble would be the best player to wear the demon guernsey but that's just my opinion Wilbur was a star so was gatto and Taylor butler as well one quality midfield there

Perhaps for loyalty but if you are seriously comparing the talent of Noble to Wilson, Millar or Gatto then Paul Northeast is the greatest Port player of all time.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Jetters » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:13 pm

How does selection work for the Bs and Cs if the A grade have the week off?

Does the A grade nominate a 22 and the rest are available for the 2s and 3s?

If players were rested in the As (had niggles and had a week off because could not drop top), but would be playing A grade if we had a game this week, can they be selected in the mock A grade side? Subsequently, a couple who were brought up for them into the A grade on the weekend be able to play a B grade final this week?
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Q. » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Jetters wrote:How does selection work for the Bs and Cs if the A grade have the week off?

Does the A grade nominate a 22 and the rest are available for the 2s and 3s?

If players were rested in the As (had niggles and had a week off because could not drop top), but would be playing A grade if we had a game this week, can they be selected in the mock A grade side? Subsequently, a couple who were brought up for them into the A grade on the weekend be able to play a B grade final this week?

Anyone that played A-Grade yesterday needs a permit to play B-grade this week (if your A-grade has the week off).

Anyone that didn't play yesterday due to being injured/unavailable etc must have played at least one game in the grade you wish to select him in.

You do not nominate an A-grade 22.
Last edited by Q. on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby wonder_kid » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:41 pm

wristwatcher wrote:

Perhaps for loyalty but if you are seriously comparing the talent of Noble to Wilson, Millar or Gatto then Paul Northeast is the greatest Port player of all time.

the guy won 4 best and fairests in a row mate !
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby wonder_kid » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:42 pm

I rate shaun gatto higher then Wilson anyways
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 am

wonder_kid wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

the guy won 4 best and fairests in a row mate !

I'm well aware I have played against him many times but he didn't win any of them in Div 2 or Div 1. As I said he is loyal and has been a great servant but if you are talking about the best player to wear the guernsey it's not him by a long shot.

Garry McIntosh never won a Best and Fairest at PNU but he has all our 2,3 or 4 time winners covered by a hundred country miles
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:00 am

whufc wrote:
wonder_kid wrote:Eastern park slid down the ladder because the money dried up lost 15 premiership players from the flag in the div 2 started their slide

It wasn't a case of the money drying up it was more a case of after the div2 premiership country clubs came knocking with even more money which eastern park couldn't match.

Also a couple of SAnFL came back looking at old players Millar and Taylor which was obviously a great oppurtunity for them

Oh come on whuffer.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
wonder_kid wrote:Eastern park slid down the ladder because the money dried up lost 15 premiership players from the flag in the div 2 started their slide

It wasn't a case of the money drying up it was more a case of after the div2 premiership country clubs came knocking with even more money which eastern park couldn't match.

Also a couple of SAnFL came back looking at old players Millar and Taylor which was obviously a great oppurtunity for them

Oh come on whuffer.

Knowing what a lot of those blokes got offered by country clubs after that div2 premiership it was a surprise more players didn't leave.

From what I understand the players that did go went for double what they were getting at EP

I think people would be very surprised if they knew what that div2 premiership side were getting paid, especially when u had blokes like
Ian Williamson, PJ, Troy Gatto, Sam Biggs, Mozza Freeman, Ricky Keane, Ben Hancock, Rick Butler, Shaun Gatto, Paul Jones, Alex Haughey, Matty Armstrong, Alan Harvey, Tom Hamilton, Dan McGee, Kenny McConnell and Blake Moore were all home grown EP players and I'm probabky missing a couple others as well

Throw in Adam Walloschek who hadn't played any football in about 3-4 years, Peter Dempsey who was Adrian's best mate and Zac who was the coaches son, the only real 'recruits' was Adrian Wilson and Zac Taylor even then they weren't unknown to the club and had spent plenty of time around the club previously due to close friendships

The problem came the following year when the bunch of lads were getting offers from everyone and realised how much of a pittance they were on compared to what they could have got
Last edited by whufc on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Oh come on whuffer.

Knowing what a lot of those blokes got offered by country clubs after that div2 premiership it was a surprise more players didn't leave.

From what I understand the players that did go went for double what they were getting at EP

I think people would be very surprised if they knew what that div2 premiership side were getting paid, especially when u had blokes like
Ian Williamson, PJ, Troy Gatto, Sam Biggs, Mozza Freeman, Ricky Keane, Ben Hancock, Rick Butler, Shaun Gatto, Paul Jones, Alex Haughey, Matty Armstrong, Alan Harvey, Tom Hamilton, Dan McGee, Blake Moore were all home grown EP players and I'm probabky missing a couple others as well

Blake played all of his juniors at Smithfield.

The Demons had a helpful coffer throughout the years to see them move up the ranks which did compliment the faithful that they already had, it was always going to be hard to sustain the meteoric rise and everything came to a halt.
They do have a great set of kids out there who bleed red and blue and I can't see them going anywhere, they all seem a happy bunch playing together and there is an obvious strong vibe amongst the playing group.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:51 am

jo172 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:It's a bit different Jo. After round 11-12 teams from sometimes as low as 8 or 9th are still mathematically in calculations to play finals. If your club throws away an opportunity to play D2r finals in order to give C1,2 or 3 a good crack after round 11 or 12 then I would think your club is going to slide down some divisions quickly given that sort of acceptance and culture.

CBC did it in 2012 and they are now in Div 4 so yes your point is spot on.

And eastern park ;

In any event there must be a sensible middle line. It strikes me as fundamentally illogical a club can have 5 sides in finals and their 43rd best player in the 2nd weekend of August not permitted to play anywhere.

On it's face the rule doesn't work

I think you'll find that with Eastern Park it was more of a "Dads Army" team in their C's that year, a few older blokes all wanted to play together, quite a few retired after that season.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:56 am

Ian Williamson, PJ, Troy Gatto, Sam Biggs, Mozza Freeman, Ricky Keane, Ben Hancock, Rick Butler, Shaun Gatto, Paul Jones, Alex Haughey, Matty Armstrong, Alan Harvey, Tom Hamilton, Dan McGee, Blake Moore were all home grown EP players and I'm probabky missing a couple others as well

Blake played all of his juniors at Smithfield.

The Demons had a helpful coffer throughout the years to see them move up the ranks which did compliment the faithful that they already had, it was always going to be hard to sustain the meteoric rise and everything came to a halt.
They do have a great set of kids out there who bleed red and blue and I can't see them going anywhere, they all seem a happy bunch playing together and there is an obvious strong vibe amongst the playing group.

Fair enough about Blake but I know he spent a lot of time hanging at EP and most definatly would have been on nothing more than demon dollars that year

That premiership was a combination of 'golden era of juniors', 'returning SANFL players who were all over 25 coming back to their junior club' and a couple of absolute jets who had stagnated at SANFL level (Wilson, Millar, Taylor) all ended in SANFL reserves the year before coming to EP and were great mates with a lot of the players.

Like I said I honestly believe it was more a case of a hundred stars aligning rather than a sugar daddy brought premiership
whufc
Coach

Postby wonder_kid » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Regardless If they were getting half of what they deserved it was still a lot
Of money to pay out I would Assume the football department spends at least a third of that premiership year today
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League