SAAFL FINALS WEEK 1 (FINAL)

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: SAAFL FINALS WEEK 1 (FINAL)

Postby wonder_kid » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Well it shouldn't work ever ! If understand if they played the last 5 or 6 games in the b grade but they both played the last few In the a grade I just had to laugh at it
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Jetters » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:19 pm

jo172 wrote:
Zartan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:PAOC had a fair crack though.

Didn't they just, must've been way off.

They mustn't have read the permit guidelines very well then - a lot of those blokes played mostly D2R and some didn't even play in the D8 side! :shock: :roll:

Bit tough considering it's round 18 in D2R though.

If they're not in the best 42 this week and can't play in D8, C2 or 8R it seems a bit tough on the blokes involved given they wouldn't need a clearance next week.

It's a tough situation as obviously if you don't make them require clearances you leave yourself wide open to the potential for manipulation.

It's a ludicrous situation that players can be left in "no mans land". Imagine playing all year, yo-yoing between grades, and not being selected for either and missing out entirely because the nuances of the draw and qualification rules. You would be fuming!

I can see it happening at out club, A.B,C finals don't align, different grades have different weeks off and the 23rd picked player who just misses the A grade, or the 45th player that misses the B grade miss out on a final or even a GF all together. There can't be a situation where such a player is prevented from playing in the grade below, common sense surely must prevail!
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Q. » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:10 pm

Not sure what I'm missing, why can't D2R players play in D8 this week, but D1R players can?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Trader » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:47 am

Q. wrote:Not sure what I'm missing, why can't D2R players play in D8 this week, but D1R players can?

It's the way the bylaws have been written...

Last week, Div 2 played Rd 17, and Div 1 played Rd 16.
This week, Div 8 is playing finals...

35.5 A player who played in a Division 2 or Division 2 Reserves Round 17 match of the current season shall not play in the first round of major round matches in Division 3 or below the following week except in a Division the player has played the majority of their matches in the current season (with the exception of Under 18 Divisions).

The above rules out Div2 (and 2R) players from Div 8 this week.

However, Div 1 hasn't played Rd 17 yet (only 16), and as such, their corresponding rule hasn't come into effect yet...

35.6 A player who played in a Division 1 or Division 1 Reserves Round 17 or 18 match of the current season shall not play in the first or second round of major round of matches in Division 3 or below the following week except in a Division the player has played the majority of their matches in the current season (with the exception of Under 18 Divisions).
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Q. » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:18 am

Thanks Trader.
Q.
Coach

Postby marbles » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:40 am

Q. wrote:Thanks Trader.

well your players will get a pay check after the game $$$$$$$ AND any player who wants to strive to perform to the highest contributions to the game will each recieve best players awards of up to $100 $$$$$$$

adelaide uni cgrader players will get nothing today, maybe a chicken & chips voucher

inequality equalized.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Q. » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:45 am

Wut? Nobody will get paid today pal.

The permit system had me confused, couldn't understand why all those D2R players were missing out despite their D2R team still being active.
Q.
Coach

Postby wonder_kid » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:33 am

That's the issue right there Q I understand why the law is in place but was it put in place before div 1 &2 seasons started after the rest of the comp if so it needs to be ammended
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby Pag » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:20 am

Doesn't make any sense to me, if your higher grades are still playing and you're not in the best 44, then you should be able to play C Grade regardless of whether the A/B Grades have hit finals yet or not. Once the higher grade stops playing, then it should go back to the regular qualification rules.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:24 am

I guess the issue is what is stopping you from dropping div 2 reserves players to your C grade finals team if your reserves are no hope of making the 5?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby jo172 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:34 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I guess the issue is what is stopping you from dropping div 2 reserves players to your C grade finals team if your reserves are no hope of making the 5?

To be fair when that's the case there's nothing stopping you doing that 6 weeks ago and being given a permit anyway.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:07 pm

It's a bit different Jo. After round 11-12 teams from sometimes as low as 8 or 9th are still mathematically in calculations to play finals. If your club throws away an opportunity to play D2r finals in order to give C1,2 or 3 a good crack after round 11 or 12 then I would think your club is going to slide down some divisions quickly given that sort of acceptance and culture.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:22 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:It's a bit different Jo. After round 11-12 teams from sometimes as low as 8 or 9th are still mathematically in calculations to play finals. If your club throws away an opportunity to play D2r finals in order to give C1,2 or 3 a good crack after round 11 or 12 then I would think your club is going to slide down some divisions quickly given that sort of acceptance and culture.

CBC did it in 2012 and they are now in Div 4 so yes your point is spot on.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby jo172 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:05 am

wristwatcher wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:It's a bit different Jo. After round 11-12 teams from sometimes as low as 8 or 9th are still mathematically in calculations to play finals. If your club throws away an opportunity to play D2r finals in order to give C1,2 or 3 a good crack after round 11 or 12 then I would think your club is going to slide down some divisions quickly given that sort of acceptance and culture.

CBC did it in 2012 and they are now in Div 4 so yes your point is spot on.

And eastern park ;

In any event there must be a sensible middle line. It strikes me as fundamentally illogical a club can have 5 sides in finals and their 43rd best player in the 2nd weekend of August not permitted to play anywhere.

On it's face the rule doesn't work
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby wonder_kid » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:26 am

Eastern park slid down the ladder because the money dried up lost 15 premiership players from the flag in the div 2 started their slide
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:49 pm

wonder_kid wrote:Eastern park slid down the ladder because the money dried up lost 15 premiership players from the flag in the div 2 started their slide

It wasn't a case of the money drying up it was more a case of after the div2 premiership country clubs came knocking with even more money which eastern park couldn't match.

Also a couple of SAnFL came back looking at old players Millar and Taylor which was obviously a great oppurtunity for them
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wonder_kid » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:26 pm

Mate I know the money dried up trust me !
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:41 pm

wonder_kid wrote:Mate I know the money dried up trust me !

There is a difference between money drying up and not being able to pay enough, the ep div2 side was largely built on junior talent and were getting paid 'unders' for what they achieved. EP couldn't compete with the pay rise players expected and were getting offered elsewhere once they became 'known' players.

They have now found a happy medium in div4 for what they can offer and what they can pay

Remember from that div2 to 1 side they loss

Zac Millar and Taylor both had another crack at SANFL (was nothing to do with coin)

Tom Hamilton and Shaun Gatto went to country clubs on huge dollars, the club could never have matched that coin.

That was four players out of the top 5 in the b&f who left, nearly all clubs would find it tough to replace that especially two of the blokes were home grown players and had never demanded huge coin

It was once they got relegated from div1 the financials dwindled slightly but that wasnt the reason they got relegated from 1
whufc
Coach

Postby wonder_kid » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:47 pm

I understand all up but if you can afford these players one year then after they leave they couldn't replace them that's because you had less money which means the money dried up doesn't it ?
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:58 pm

wonder_kid wrote:I understand all up but if you can afford these players one year then after they leave they couldn't replace them that's because you had less money which means the money dried up doesn't it ?

I think it was a case of those players were on unders for what they should have got
Hamilton and Gatto (home grown was on unders)
Zac (dad was coach was on unders)
Adrian Wilson (was best mates with most of the guys and his dad was involved on unders)

EP got a rude shock when they went back to div2 and were comparing what they were paying those blokes to the quality of player that wanted more.

They couldn't justify it and knowing they had built the div2 side around junior talent decided to go down that path rather than to go and pay overs for less talent.

That's why despite the drop down the division the clubs is supposedly financially (ok), not many clubs would have been able to survive that fall and then start to rebuild without a couple of sugar daddy's coming through

From what I understand there were more players in that div2 premiership side who weren't getting a read cent of cash (not including demon dollars) than were getting cash which I reckon would be pretty unheard of these days in div2. The rise to div1 was great exercise in 'moneyball' which also had a million stars align to be able to put that bunch of players on the park at the same time.
Last edited by whufc on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League