lower grade association medals

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: lower grade association medals

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Pag wrote:I think you could do it D3/D3R/D4/D4R all together in one night and not have any issues, from Rd 1-18 with a break between each. Get 20 clubs at the one place (maybe 200 people). Then the same for D5/D5R/D6/D6R etc at another venue.

How many clubs could legally fit 200 people AND have the facilities (projectors etc...) to pull it off....it may limit the clubs that can actually hold the medal nights.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:02 pm

I remember Mr McSpaz going to one of these things for the SFL. From my recollection he came home and said it was crap, disorganised and just a bunch of blokes trying to see who could get the most pissed before the league finally got their paperwork in order to read out the votes. And it sounds like this is the same sort of thing. I had a few suggestions at the time about getting more people to come and making it more interesting, so I'll repost them here.

- Invite the top 5-10 votegetters from each club, and their partners.
- Charge for tickets. Except as an alternative to the full-on three-course dinner, $100-a-ticket type of shindig, make it $25 for free beer/wine/cider and finger foods.
- Show a PowerPoint presentation that goes through each round. Have a couple of breaks in between, during which you could display a montage of photos taken throughout the year. Or something like that. Just as long as it's mildly diverting and doesn't involve a league official making a massive speech.
- As this is a league with multiple divisions, it makes sense to divide it into three or four separate presentation nights. I think it'd be worth it, even if it means a bit of extra planning.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:10 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:I remember Mr McSpaz going to one of these things for the SFL. From my recollection he came home and said it was crap, disorganised and just a bunch of blokes trying to see who could get the most pissed before the league finally got their paperwork in order to read out the votes. And it sounds like this is the same sort of thing. I had a few suggestions at the time about getting more people to come and making it more interesting, so I'll repost them here.

- Invite the top 5-10 votegetters from each club, and their partners.
- Charge for tickets. Except as an alternative to the full-on three-course dinner, $100-a-ticket type of shindig, make it $25 for free beer/wine/cider and finger foods.
- Show a PowerPoint presentation that goes through each round. Have a couple of breaks in between, during which you could display a montage of photos taken throughout the year. Or something like that. Just as long as it's mildly diverting and doesn't involve a league official making a massive speech.
- As this is a league with multiple divisions, it makes sense to divide it into three or four separate presentation nights. I think it'd be worth it, even if it means a bit of extra planning.

Fisho for President!! I would support all those points
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Pag wrote:I think you could do it D3/D3R/D4/D4R all together in one night and not have any issues, from Rd 1-18 with a break between each. Get 20 clubs at the one place (maybe 200 people). Then the same for D5/D5R/D6/D6R etc at another venue.

4 18 Round counts is potentially a lot to sit through.

I'm guessing the table of the Div 4R medallist is going to be pretty rowdy by the end of the D3 count ...

I wouldn't try more than two full counts in one night if it were up to me.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:16 pm

morell wrote:Copy the AFL coaches MVP award. Both coaches give their votes 5-4-3-2-1 for BOTH teams. Votes are then combined..

Definitely worthwhile testing out this system IMO, and to make life easier this is how I would consider doing it..

1. Run it concurrently with the current system in a trial basis - do it just D6 or D7 or both to begin with, just to see how it goes. Also be interesting to then compare results end of season.
2. Use the current paperwork that is lodged with the league to complete - so instead of just listing your best 5 players and goal kickers, include a column for best 5 from the opposition..
- You would use each clubs best 5 they chose for sportingpulse/paper
- Votes for opposition sides would be kept quiet
- Would then show up later in the year if coaches were trying to doctor a result, because the opposition coach would have different.
- An opposition coach wouldn't be able to try and prevent a player from polling well and potentially winning because they wont have known how votes went in previous matches
- Would also avoid any coaches that may not want to give name their best 5 in the paper and keep players hidden under the radar.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Zartan wrote:
morell wrote:Copy the AFL coaches MVP award. Both coaches give their votes 5-4-3-2-1 for BOTH teams. Votes are then combined..

Definitely worthwhile testing out this system IMO, and to make life easier this is how I would consider doing it..

1. Run it concurrently with the current system in a trial basis - do it just D6 or D7 or both to begin with, just to see how it goes. Also be interesting to then compare results end of season.
2. Use the current paperwork that is lodged with the league to complete - so instead of just listing your best 5 players and goal kickers, include a column for best 5 from the opposition..
- You would use each clubs best 5 they chose for sportingpulse/paper
- Votes for opposition sides would be kept quiet
- Would then show up later in the year if coaches were trying to doctor a result, because the opposition coach would have different.
- An opposition coach wouldn't be able to try and prevent a player from polling well and potentially winning because they wont have known how votes went in previous matches
- Would also avoid any coaches that may not want to give name their best 5 in the paper and keep players hidden under the radar.

What?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:What?

Use that form that goes to the home club to enter results in sportingpulse? Has the results at the top, goal kickers down one side and best players down the other... just include a 3rd column for opposition best players
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:23 pm

At least someone gets it. Thanks Zartan.

I've been invited a few times and have never been. It's a naff award voted by to be honest, mostly naff people, especially in the lower divs. I wouldn't trust umpires in the lower divs to pick me an ice cream flavour, let alone contribute to what should be a prestigious award. Most of the people at Mitchell Park I speak to feel very similar. Most years people don't even know what it is!! Its the same reason why people aren't keen on going to the Power/Freo game now. As soon as you take the legitimacy out of the competition, people lose interest.

Coaches in general, perhaps except for a few notable exceptions... are good, knowledgeable and fair football people and are in a much better position to adjudicate the best and fairest player in their respective competition.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:27 pm

The added benefit to morell's suggestion also is you would see a greater spread of vote getters which would increase peoples interest in the night because lets face it everyone wants to see if they poll any votes/how many/what rounds and if they beat their mates etc. even if they don't win it.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Exactly!!!

Hurray!!

/thread
morell
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:30 pm

That's funny.. there was a whole table load of MP folk there last night so obviously not everyone shares your sentiments.

Again, I'm asking for alternative options to running a medal night

NOT how the bloody medal should be decided.

I only ask nicely twice - and this is the second time.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Footy Chick wrote:That's funny.. there was a whole table load of MP folk there last night so obviously not everyone shares your sentiments.
Wanna make a bet?

and you asked how to get more people there, not specifically how to change the logistics of the night itself (albeit that would improve things as well)

Footy Chick wrote:Realising you can't speak for your whole club - but how would you like to see this changed, which would bring the punters back in droves, just like back in the day.

Are people not going because it's not worth driving all the way into Thebby for a 5 minute powerpoint presentation and then head home again?

Change the voting system, get 5-10% more people. I give you morell's personal guarantee.
Last edited by morell on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:37 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:I remember Mr McSpaz going to one of these things for the SFL. From my recollection he came home and said it was crap, disorganised and just a bunch of blokes trying to see who could get the most pissed before the league finally got their paperwork in order to read out the votes. And it sounds like this is the same sort of thing. I had a few suggestions at the time about getting more people to come and making it more interesting, so I'll repost them here.

It is nothing like you have suggested. It's well organised, good powerpoints, get the winners up for a photo (if they're in attendance :oops: ) and occasionally have chat.

However, the drawback is the time restraints due to multiple divisions. For example, player new to footy or new to SAAFL approaches me at the club and asks about the night. I explain and then get to the part where our D7R count will run from 7:31PM to 7:34PM and D7 will go from 7:35PM to 7:38PM and he gives me that look says "so you want me to drive out to The Barton for the 8 minutes that I have a vested interest in?".

That being said, it's good to go for a bit and bump into people you know and chat about your busted ankle and the completely watered-down salary cap.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:38 pm

jo172 wrote:

4 18 Round counts is potentially a lot to sit through.

I'm guessing the table of the Div 4R medallist is going to be pretty rowdy by the end of the D3 count ...

I wouldn't try more than two full counts in one night if it were up to me.

And the people running the league are pretty busy this time of year and probably don't want to host 57 different count nights.
Q.
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Q. wrote:And the people running the league are pretty busy this time of year and probably don't want to host 57 different count nights.

They would if they realised the potential to make money out of it ;)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:42 pm

morell wrote:At least someone gets it. Thanks Zartan.

I've been invited a few times and have never been. It's a naff award voted by to be honest, mostly naff people, especially in the lower divs. I wouldn't trust umpires in the lower divs to pick me an ice cream flavour, let alone contribute to what should be a prestigious award. Most of the people at Mitchell Park I speak to feel very similar. Most years people don't even know what it is!! Its the same reason why people aren't keen on going to the Power/Freo game now. As soon as you take the legitimacy out of the competition, people lose interest.

Coaches in general, perhaps except for a few notable exceptions... are good, knowledgeable and fair football people and are in a much better position to adjudicate the best and fairest player in their respective competition.

Jeez. I know this, and if I hadn't known it I certainly would today after reading everything... but for whatever reason, it has only just sunk in that the motley crew in white whom I've been heaping crap on all year... are the ones responsible for handing out the votes.

HOLY F***ING BLIMEY O'REILLY'S TROUSERS.

These are the same blokes who allow people to handball out of the goalsquare, who yellow-card a player for swearing (not at the umpire, just swearing in general), whose idea of a 25m penalty is anywhere from the length of a paddling pool to the length of the entire oval. Some of them take that long between blowing the whistle and getting to where the ball is that they should call time off. I understand that in div 7 you take what you can get, and these guys are giving up their time to umpire our game, and I respect that. But there were times this year when they struggled to keep control of the game; I'm not convinced a lot of them even know one player from another, and I think having these blokes responsible for who wins the medal is pretty farcical, to be honest.

Let the coaches of each side pick their 5 best and be done with it. If that seems too biased, have a third person pick THEIR 5 best - one of the field umpires would be easiest. That way the umpires still get a say, but they're not in charge of the whole thing. You'd have two coaches and an umpire, three lots of 5 votes - that shouldn't be too hard to work with.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:43 pm

S***. Sorry FC. Just saw your above post.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Q. wrote:
fisho mcspaz wrote:That being said, it's good to go for a bit and bump into people you know and chat about your busted ankle and the completely watered-down salary cap.

Not to further detract from FC's pretty thread but it's so watered down it won't affect the Amateurs in 2016 at all. I'd be amazed if anyone was over $4000 a week or had more than one player over $500 a week.

Along with not assessing employment contracts outside the football club it's just window dressing
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby morell » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:49 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:

Jeez. I know this, and if I hadn't known it I certainly would today after reading everything... but for whatever reason, it has only just sunk in that the motley crew in white whom I've been heaping crap on all year... are the ones responsible for handing out the votes.

These are the same blokes who allow people to handball out of the goalsquare, who yellow-card a player for swearing (not at the umpire, just swearing in general), whose idea of a 25m penalty is anywhere from the length of a paddling pool to the length of the entire oval. Some of them take that long between blowing the whistle and getting to where the ball is that they should call time off. I understand that in div 7 you take what you can get, and these guys are giving up their time to umpire our game, and I respect that. But there were times this year when they struggled to keep control of the game; I'm not convinced a lot of them even know one player from another, and I think having these blokes responsible for who wins the medal is pretty farcical, to be honest.

Let the coaches of each side pick their 5 best and be done with it. If that seems too biased, have a third person pick THEIR 5 best - one of the field umpires would be easiest. That way the umpires still get a say, but they're not in charge of the whole thing. You'd have two coaches and an umpire, three lots of 5 votes - that shouldn't be too hard to work with.

Fussing about splitting the rounds here or there, where to host it, how the count gets read out, what to charge, what colour the power point is or what type of beers to serve is dealing with the minutiae. You're fixing the knobs on the radio of a burnt out car.

It wont be that popular or thought of in an esteemed light until you take it away from the umpires. Its that simple.

FC I love you, but if you can't see that fundamental point, then I can't help you.
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:00 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:

Hey, while we're at it, we'll let the captains pick their best 5 too and we can tally up the 10,985 votes during the month of October.

If you can't see that the umpires get most decisions right on game day and usually pick a deserving medallist, then it's not the umpires with the issue.
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League