Old Scholars and the Points System

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Old Scholars and the Points System

by Mr Beefy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:42 pm

laser wrote:BigB, You may have taken some bait, stale bait at that. My reply to the Beefmiester; No we didn't.

Tend to agree there is an inequity numbers wise vs. points. Not sure this is represented as an advantage tho.

Was wondering where you were.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

by teaoby » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:54 pm

BigB wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
BigB wrote:Firstly, I don't think anyone who has come to play from Mercedes would've attracted points anyway, tho Jetters may correct me. All we've done is formalise links we already had (20 to 30 Mercedes ex Mercedes students prior to the establishment of the formal affiliation) and the main benefit, aside from an additional feeder stream in addition to our juniors, has been the injection of more off field assistance. (Can I say - if you want success, recruiting volunteers to key support roles is where you should start rather than wondering which gun you're going to recruit.) Sadly for us we lose many of our juniors, after all our investment, to other college clubs such as Scotch, PAC or Pultney (tho they may think twice now we're in Div 1) and no-one would suggest transfer fees would be a popular idea to compensate clubs with junior programs who lose out when someone moves on after all the hard work.
A zero points sytem for our graduating juniors and our affiliate's Old Scholars, is at least some compensation and really just acknowledges a long standing relationship with the club in one form or another. If another club feels this disadvantages them, then developing their own advantageous strategic allances is something they should consider rather than trying to level the playing field to the lowest common denominator.

Please....
So there was no need to acknowledge a long standing relationship before the points system came in. In other words, you sold your soul to get a zero point stream from Mercedes.

Sold our soul??? "Formalised an already existing relationship" would be the more accurate description in more objective rather than emotive terminology. The Mercedes people approached us in 2010, deliberations and working parties in 2011, we trialled a "merger" in 2012 (3 premierships , B & C Grade) and formalised the arrangement as an "affiliation" in 2013. If you weren't part of the deliberations which led up to the affiliation you would have no idea of very methodical and business like approach to the process.

Zero points really didn't get talked about as much as the additional off field support which we needed. Anyway, my lad (an A Grader) started playing for Unley as an under 9, I've been involved in a number of roles, our family have nothing to do with Mercedes beyond the footy affiliation (an Unley High old collegian actually - FYI - UFC initially started as "Unley High Old Collegians" and the constitution still recognises that fact) - and I actually have heart and soul commitment to the club. No sell out in my view, in fact it was a desire to see the club survive which gained the broad acceptance by the Unley membership.

Many clubs have affiliations designed to foster their aims. As I said in my post, if you're not looking around to see who you can form alliances with then you're not thinking beyond the square. Nuff said, you're entitled to your opinion, even if you're wrong ;)

So can Unley then count students from Unley High & Mercedes as 0 pointers if they meet the rules?
FYI not a dig, just interesting having 3 sources of players be eligible for 0 point status.
beards dont kill people, people with beards kill people
teaoby
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

by Jimmy_041 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:58 pm

You have to play 20 games for the feed in school
I'm not sure UHS play in a competition that would allow that
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

by jo172 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:You have to play 20 games for the feed in school

When I was at school they definitely had some teams in ISSA. Apart from that if you field a knockout side all five years of high school and make decent run at it you'd just scrape in!
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

by heater31 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:20 pm

jo172 wrote:

When I was at school they definitely had some teams in ISSA. Apart from that if you field a knockout side all five years of high school and make decent run at it you'd just scrape in!

Would have to play at least 4 games every year. How many knockout rounds per season?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

by jo172 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:25 pm

heater31 wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Would have to play at least 4 games every year. How many knockout rounds per season?

My last year you had to play 3 bull-shit half hour games in one day to get out of round one! (from memory Unley was one of the teams we played too)
jo172
League - Top 5

by BigB » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:04 am

jo172 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
jo172 wrote:

My last year you had to play 3 bull-shit half hour games in one day to get out of round one! (from memory Unley was one of the teams we played too)

Good question re Unley High... the relationship is still in the constitution and we get a lot of lads who are UHS grads who play but the relationship would never pass a test if you wanted to look at application of the rules.
We don't even consider it. Might be worth opening up the dialouge ;)
And I am always a sucker for bait - too trusting of people's intelligence and integrity.. I clearly need to lower the bar - lol
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

by jo172 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:51 am

BigB wrote:
jo172 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Good question re Unley High... the relationship is still in the constitution and we get a lot of lads who are UHS grads who play but the relationship would never pass a test if you wanted to look at application of the rules.
We don't even consider it. Might be worth opening up the dialouge ;)
And I am always a sucker for bait - too trusting of people's intelligence and integrity.. I clearly need to lower the bar - lol

You're in the wrong corner of the internet for trusting intelligence
jo172
League - Top 5

by Look Good In Leather » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:31 pm

This was the original question, is there a requirement on the club to prove that the individual played the required 20 games?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

by FOURTH ESTATE » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Yes if challenged
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

by laser » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:58 pm

teaoby wrote:So can Unley then count students from Unley High & Mercedes as 0 pointers if they meet the rules?
FYI not a dig, just interesting having 3 sources of players be eligible for 0 point status.

Not the Unley High lads.
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

by Look Good In Leather » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:51 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Yes if challenged

Do they ever get challenged?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

by Jimmy_041 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:

Yes
Jimmy_041
Coach

by jo172 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yes

Really? Who's got time for that?
jo172
League - Top 5

by Jimmy_041 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:16 pm

jo172 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Yes

Really? Who's got time for that?

There have been a few challenges since the point system came in.
On the UMJ situation, they were not given retrospective rights to players who had qualified via Mercedes College before the change in their Constitution, and UMJ never disputed the decision.
There have been other submissions about having rights to a particular group and each were considered on their merits.
On an individual basis, each club has to manage the points allocation for every player including juniors who join the club from any avenue including their own juniors. Old scholars clubs are no different to district clubs.
Get caught...... :axe:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League