2016 C Grades thread - general discussion

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: 2016 C Grades thread - general discussion

Postby marbles » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Sainters kicked their 3rd goal in 2nd quarter and then proceeded to kick 12 points straight without a goal for rest of the game to lose by 14 points #odd :( including 9 points straight in last quarter :D
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby finn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:16 pm

marbles wrote:Sainters kicked their 3rd goal in 2nd quarter and then proceeded to kick 12 points straight without a goal for rest of the game to lose by 14 points #odd :( including 9 points straight in last quarter :D

Bad kicking is bad footy....
And Henley knocked off ROCs two weeks in a row at Campbelltown Magill which is good footy.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Feenix » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:37 am

finn wrote:And Henley knocked off ROCs two weeks in a row at Campbelltown Magill which is good footy.

Should make for a good game against Adelaide Uni this weekend
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby finn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Feenix wrote:
finn wrote:And Henley knocked off ROCs two weeks in a row at Campbelltown Magill which is good footy.

Should make for a good game against Adelaide Uni this weekend

Second semi , two decent sides, should be good and close I'd imagine.
finn
League - Best 21

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Serious question from someone who values the opinion of the intelligent posters (especially the coaches) on here
1. Should there be a C1 Comp that matches purely matches D1 teams, but if need be, include a D2 or other club that nominates (eg) Athelstone?
2. On a personal note: Should PAOC play their C Grade in C1 or are they doing the best thing for the club by playing D7? I'll just add that we've always told the league that we'll play against A Grade teams
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Mr Beefy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Serious question from someone who values the opinion of the intelligent posters (especially the coaches) on here
1. Should there be a C1 Comp that matches purely matches D1 teams, but if need be, include a D2 or other club that nominates (eg) Athelstone?
2. On a personal note: Should PAOC play their C Grade in C1 or are they doing the best thing for the club by playing D7? I'll just add that we've always told the league that we'll play against A Grade teams

Yeah i think you should...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby jo172 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Serious question from someone who values the opinion of the intelligent posters (especially the coaches) on here

To extend the thought are clubs with 5+ teams in a different situation to clubs with 2-4 teams? Particularly with respect to capability be competitive in D7. Would have thought (assuming PAOC is intending to field 5-6 teams next year) there would be merit in maintaining sides in D7/D7R, and also having a C1 side (with the league ideally matching C1 to D1 as best as possible). Not dissimilar to what the Blacks do now.

Wouldn't have thought it would be too hard for PAOC to work out their internal grading (Ie whether D7 or C1 is the C grade) from there ( although one would suspect some teething problems)

To aid your question presumably PAOC is looking at fielding 5 at a minimum in 2017?

You probably know better than us Jimmy, but any truth to the rumour a motion will be put to make it a requirement for a club to be D1-4 eligible the l they need at least 3 sides?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:45 pm

To your last question; not to my knowledge
But that's not saying it hadn't been discussed at another level. There is now a true governance regime at the SAAFL
To your previous point, our D7R side was actually the E Grade so we are "adapting" to the conditions. C3 was harder than D7R.
I did watch a lot of C3 and D Grade struggled a bit whereas our C Grade would have been very competitive.
Let's look at 4 side clubs. Should they use C1 as their nursery (and, say, C4) or go D7+ D7R?
Or does it come down to league programming issues and, in our case, availability of grounds and trainers?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:56 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:To your last question; not to my knowledge
But that's not saying it hadn't been discussed at another level. There is now a true governance regime at the SAAFL
To your previous point, our D7R side was actually the E Grade so we are "adapting" to the conditions. C3 was harder than D7R.
I did watch a lot of C3 and D Grade struggled a bit whereas our C Grade would have been very competitive.
Let's look at 4 side clubs. Should they use C1 as their nursery (and, say, C4) or go D7+ D7R?
Or does it come down to league programming issues and, in our case, availability of grounds and trainers?

Slighty off your topic of conversation- I've wondered which grade, D7R/C3 is your D and E grade. How does PAOC determine which will be which? Is it just the assumed knowledge that C3 is a better standard than D7R? I always thought you'd have your C and D grade together on Saturday?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:17 pm

C3 is D Grade and D7R is the E Grade
It was changed around mid last year when they worked out C3 was a better standard than D7R
A to E Grade are serious. F Grade (C5) is for anyone who wants to play (including me)
We aren't structured like Uni; more like the All Blacks pyramid structure
But, as all club officials know, it's not about getting there, it's about maintaining it
Our D7R coach this year is David Marsh who was our A1 and the State Coach in the 80s
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:33 pm

I'm not part of the inner coaching regime, but I have watched both D7 and C1 this year. I would think the top teams of both grades are similar
I'm not sure putting our D Grade in C1 would be fair
Certainly, the eventual TTG and Modbury C3 teams should have been up there
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Yank Man » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:34 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:C3 is D Grade and D7R is the E Grade
It was changed around mid last year when they worked out C3 was a better standard than D7R
A to E Grade are serious. F Grade (C5) is for anyone who wants to play (including me)
We aren't structured like Uni; more like the All Blacks pyramid structure
But, as all club officials know, it's not about getting there, it's about maintaining it
Our D7R coach this year is David Marsh who was our A1 and the State Coach in the 80s

For what it's worth Jimmy I think Paoc are now a lot stronger than Adelaide Uni. I've had 6 years now in Div 6/7 and you're C grade are in that region, you're D's should be in 6/7 reserves and so on. If you're C whatever becomes dominant then so be it. Just my opinion but ABCDEF = regardless of where the league have you if you get my gist.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby finn » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Nope, c1 should contain the best c grade sides regardless of their higher grade positioning. In this case it often reflects division 1 but sometimes it doesn't. Eg Salisbury north's c grade is not that competitive while Modbury's would be. Ideally it would have a majority of teams from that grade; a downside is that many c1 games were played at 10.15 to enable triple headers but these become so commonplace that, this year, Uni played 14 out 16 as triple headers placing this time slot as difficult for those parents with children's sporting engagements and others with work. It also means that the c grade is expected to stay and support the higher grades and it can place a financial burden on the same players constantly. I'd like to see some of these games be played after the a grade as night games; I know it can be arranged as necessary. There's also no reason that triple headers can't work if the c grade side is playing a different opposition to the a and b grade.

Ideally, the league will have enough depth that no c grade side needs to play against a grade opposition unless the club itself decides that it is in their best interest to do so. This would lead to a totally level playing field. Currently good c grade sides can hold their own against a grade opposition but it's more of a statement on the quality of the a grade teams. A top end c grade competition would provide consistent and high quality games. For example a competition with Princes, Uni, Henley, Rostrevor, Goodwood, TTG, Modbury, Unley, Athelstone, old iggies would be close.

As an aside, clubs with more teams usually end up with a larger number of people with the ability to play at this often very decent level. The disparity between the side's best player and worst is much smaller than in clubs of three sides unless these sides have good junior setups.
finn
League - Best 21

Postby finn » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:54 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I'm not part of the inner coaching regime, but I have watched both D7 and C1 this year. I would think the top teams of both grades are similar
I'm not sure putting our D Grade in C1 would be fair
Certainly, the eventual TTG and Modbury C3 teams should have been up there

It would be. That's where we've our fourth team.
finn
League - Best 21

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Yep; and that's what we are doing Yank Man
But should our C Grade play C1 or D7 (or D6) or just try to work out the best competition available?
I'm going to ask it...... Would the top C1 teams beat a D6 or 7 top team?
I remember the old days when Uni played their B Grade in A3 and C Grade in A1R and so on
Now that's something to aim for
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby finn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:05 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Yep; and that's what we are doing Yank Man
But should our C Grade play C1 or D7 (or D6) or just try to work out the best competition available?
I remember the old days when Uni played their B Grade in A3 and C Grade in A1R and so on

Going on the div 7 games I've seen the last 4 years or so, some of the better c1 sides, given the same game conditions that exist in c1, would go very close (aside from the occasional outlier like Smithfield).
finn
League - Best 21

Postby jo172 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:17 am

I have a strong personal preference for 4+ side clubs having their Cs and Ds "paired" for the purpose of home/away games. Much easier for the allocation of resources (trainers, umpires) etc. along with giving the home facility the consistent weekly turnover of two games of senior footy.

I thought for the most part the D8/8R set up from 2012 to 2015 was a very good solution. Aside from a very few outliers proper smashings didn't seem to occur.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:20 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Yep; and that's what we are doing Yank Man

Best C1 sides would have struggled against SW and PAOC (in my opinion). Would have been competitive with St Pauls, Adelaide Uni and Flinders Uni and would have been substantially better than the bottom 5 D7 teams.

Finn, how do you rate Uni's C1 side against the D7 side?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:28 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:There is now a true governance regime at the SAAFL

What do you mean by this? There wasn't?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby The Ash Man » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:09 am

According to Gordon Armstrong in yesterdays paper, Athelstone won the C1 GF on Saturday.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League